PDA

View Full Version : Team impressed with Tebow's work ethic

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/13887/teammates-are-impressed-by-tebows-work-ethic

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It’s 30 minutes after the Denver Broncos completed a June minicamp practice on a warm day in the Rockies.

Future Hall of Famer and team leader Champ Bailey is relaxing near the entrance to the team’s locker room, about to enjoy the air conditioning and a post-practice meal.

Bailey suddenly points to a figure on a distant field. A solitary player remains at work.

It’s Tim Tebow.

“See that?” Bailey asks. “That’s Tebow. It’s long after practice and he’s still out there. That’s what he does. That’s not for show. He’s not just doing that because the media is here today. He does that every day.”

That’s why Bailey, one of the best left cornerbacks of this era and someone whose opinion on quarterbacks matters, is putting his bet on Tebow.

When Denver shocked the NFL world by trading three picks to take Tebow at No. 25 overall, the former Florida quarterback became one of the stories of the draft. He was already a polarizing figure before he was picked. Some NFL scouts and teams believed that Tebow’s athleticism, work ethic and desire would translate into NFL success. Other teams, worried about his awkward mechanics and arm strength, didn’t rate him high.

Now that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has staked his reputation as a quarterback guru and his future as Denver’s head coach on Tebow, the buzz has exploded. It’s just not in the media and on fan boards. It’s in the Broncos’ locker room.

“We’re all interested in it,” Bailey says. “He has the team behind him. We heard so much about Tebow before he got here and he’s a big story. But everything he has shown shows that he can succeed. The guy just works at his job so much.”

Several hours later, Tebow, who has routinely leads the charge in team sprints during practice, emerges from the extra field work and the classroom. His eyes light up when Tebow is told of the high praise coming from his high-profile teammate.

“That’s what I want ,” Tebow says. “It means so much that my teammates believe in me and know that I’m working hard. That’s why I’m here.”

It’s important that Tebow is committed to hard work. He has to keep plowing if he is going to make an impact anytime soon. Tebow struggled some in minicamp, where he has misfired several times and thrown interceptions. Yet, he bounced back Saturday from a poor showing Friday. Basically, Tebow looks like what he is: a rookie quarterback. He's up and down.

He is the No. 3 quarterback on the roster behind starter Kyle Orton and backup Brady Quinn. McDaniels said Tebow has to make strides during the summer. “Nothing is going to be given to him,” McDaniels said. “He has to keep coming along.”

Still, the Broncos believe Tebow will be on the fast track.

McDaniels lauds Tebow’s study habits and his eagerness to learn. The coach said the key for Tebow this summer will be to find a way to translate what he is digesting in the classroom and make the correct adjustments on the field.

“That’s what’s he’s learning now,” McDaniels said“That’s not easy. Just because you know it in the classroom, it doesn’t mean you can do it on the field. That’s the process he’s going through now.”

“You have to train your brain to make it click on the field," Tebow said. "It’s going fast and I have to make those adjustments.”

Tebow is relishing the lack of restrictions that comes with being an NFL quarterback. Because his school has graduated, he can spend all the time he needs studying and learning at the facility.

“It’s 24 hours football,” Tebow said. “I love it. This is how I’m going to spend my summer.”

Known for his intensity and strong will, Tebow strives for success because he knows the football world is watching. He says he wants to succeed for his family and his new coaches. “Coach McDaniels picked me," he said. "This isn’t like college where I could have gone anywhere. They took a chance on me. I want to succeed for the Broncos.”

But Tebow also admits he’s driven because of the fear of failure.

“I have that in me,” Tebow said.”The SEC championship loss to Alabama [last December] drives me. That’s with me, more than the national championships or other big wins. The failures stick with you. I don’t want that feeling. Nobody likes that feeling.”

There’s no doubt Tebow is fierce competitor solely focused on making good. Will it work in Denver? His on-the-field work shows he is a rookie quarterback with a lot to learn. His dedication as a professional shows that Tebow is as advertised.

“I’m impressed,” Bailey said. “I like what I see so far.”

claymore
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Man I hope Bowlen has a short leash on the McDaniels brothers. Itd be a shame for them to ruin Tebow with their lack of experience.

Superchop 7
06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Gotta love the effort.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
He said wouldn't be out worked, now hopefully all the extra work will pay big dividends and the sooner the better.

T.K.O.
06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Man I hope Bowlen has a short leash on the McDaniels brothers. Itd be a shame for them to ruin Tebow with their lack of experience.

yeah....and if anybody could ruin a qb it's jarsh mcdoofas:rant::eviltongue::smack:

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Well some will say that Champ put the kiss of death on him afterall he thought slowitt was the cats ass.

He did it with several others. That were less than impressive.

So let's hear it from all the BOO birds.

Myslef I think the kid is the real deal,may not play much this year but watch out 2011.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ravage!!!
06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Its great that he has a great work ethic. Personally, I've already read too much on that. LOTS of players have a great work ethic.

Hopefully soon, we stop hearing about the work ethic, and start reading positive things about the PLAY. I want to start reading positive things about how he's reading defenses, and throwing the ball well (just just the bubble screen passes). Work ethic is great, to a point. If all you read is how hard he works.... welll...

jhildebrand
06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Sounds good. I definitely like what I hear.

Then again we have had training camp superstars in the past. I think Darius Watts was the last one :lol:

@JRWIZ and "Champ being the kiss of death" :lol:, if Champ dissed him you would be crying. If he praises him you find a way to bash him. Why so bent out of shape on the Shanahan guys? :confused: Especially one as classy as Champ?

Champ isn't going to bad mouth anybody let alone a coordinator. Last I recall he had good things to say about McD too.

Slick
06-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Its great that he has a great work ethic. Personally, I've already read too much on that. LOTS of players have a great work ethic.

Hopefully soon, we stop hearing about the work ethic, and start reading positive things about the PLAY. I want to start reading positive things about how he's reading defenses, and throwing the ball well (just just the bubble screen passes). Work ethic is great, to a point. If all you read is how hard he works.... welll...

I agree Rav, but we can't be hypocritical either. If we can allow time for Moss, Ayers, Smith, Thomas, etc. to develop, we have to do the same for Tebow. He is learning the hardest position in football, and we desperately need him to succeed.

I'd rather see us develop him properly, be it with the headset and clipboard in hand, or throwing him directly into the fire. I don't care which, although selfishly I want to see him play. We don't need to try to justify his draft cost by doing something stupid.

...and to be fair, there's not much to write about any player up to this point in the summer besides a feel good piece.

Tempus Fugit
06-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Excellent point! After 3 full NFL seasons, it's time for this guy to put up or shut up. People are acting as if he's a rookie that hasn't even made it to his first training camp yet.

BroncoWave
06-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd much rather read stories like this in the offseason than stories about players tripping over McDonalds bags or punting balls in practice or ignoring calls from their owner.

You see so many players in pro sports not fulfill their full potential because they didn't have the work ethic so it's good to know that if Tebow were to fail, it won't be because he didn't give it his 100% effort.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Excellent point! After 3 full NFL seasons, it's time for this guy to put up or shut up. People are acting as if he's a rookie that hasn't even made it to his first training camp yet.

That's not what he said. It would be better if you stopped trying pick fights with everyone that's doesn't agree with your opinions.

dogfish
06-14-2010, 02:42 PM
this isn't news-- we knew this was part of what he brings to the table. . .

still, this is good to hear:

“We’re all interested in it,” Bailey says. “He has the team behind him. We heard so much about Tebow before he got here and he’s a big story. But everything he has shown shows that he can succeed. The guy just works at his job so much.”

so much for the dumbasses who suggested that tebow would be resented in the locker room. . . told ya it wouldn't take him long to win over the vets with his sincerity and dedication. . .

dude, come on. . . it's freakin' minicamp-- you're really longing to read some ridiculous fluff piece?

i mean, seriously. . . how in the world do you expect to hear that he's playing well when they aren't even playing yet:questionmark::questionmark:

i really wanna hear this explanation. . .

i know we're all impatient for some football, but it's the middle of june, man!

:lol:

the hope is that tebow's going to be a gamer, just like he was on the biggest college stage-- i really doubt he's ever going to be the world's prettiest practice player in shorts and T-shirt. . .

Tempus Fugit
06-14-2010, 02:42 PM
That's not what he said. It would be better if you stopped trying pick fights with everyone that's doesn't agree with your opinions.

Given that I quoted him directly, it's clearly what he said. My response was clearly what I said.

If you're going to whine about positive work ethic stories before a player gets to his first training camp, you should probably be taking time off from posting on message boards, because those stories are all over the country, and written about players on just about every team in the league.

As for my trying to "pick fights", I'm not the one who came to a thread about a positive work ethic story and bitched about the story because it didn't contain what I wanted. If Ravage doesn't want to read about such stories, he doesn't have to read them. Problem solved, without needing to gripe about it on the thread. Again..........

It's a story about a rookie that hasn't even gotten to his first training camp. I shouldn't need to re-quote from the story, especially because it's really just a filler story for the dog days of the offseason, but it's apparently necessary:

It’s important that Tebow is committed to hard work. He has to keep plowing if he is going to make an impact anytime soon. Tebow struggled some in minicamp, where he has misfired several times and thrown interceptions. Yet, he bounced back Saturday from a poor showing Friday. Basically, Tebow looks like what he is: a rookie quarterback. He's up and down.

There’s no doubt Tebow is fierce competitor solely focused on making good. Will it work in Denver? His on-the-field work shows he is a rookie quarterback with a lot to learn. His dedication as a professional shows that Tebow is as advertised.

“I’m impressed,” Bailey said. “I like what I see so far.”

WARHORSE
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd much rather read stories like this in the offseason than stories about players tripping over McDonalds bags or punting balls in practice or ignoring calls from their owner.

You see so many players in pro sports not fulfill their full potential because they didn't have the work ethic so it's good to know that if Tebow were to fail, it won't be because he didn't give it his 100% effort.

Yeah. Wow.

Anyone notice how much more calm the forums are here?

All we're hearing is how hard these guys are working, and how theyre all improving.

How about throwing passes to the ground, or watching video of your so called star receiver PUNTING the football?

Its a shame......a REAL shame.......that was part of the total package of Marshall.

Immaturity with Cutler and Scheff..........and these are leaders?

I thought it was the dumbest move in history to trade Cutler at that point and time.

Perhaps he will mature and become a great baller.....I hope he does.

But has anyone thought of what would have happened if Cutler had BEEN here when Marshall was doing his practice punting, and Scheffler secretly was hatin on McD in the backround?

How would Cutler have responded to an on the practice field correction in front of everyone where Josh yelled at him for making a mistake?

My thought is he would not have handled it well.

And that would have led to some real chaos around here.

A year after the fact...............Im glad Cutler is gone.

And looking at our team, Im glad Marshall is gone too.

And the third wheel Scheff.

I LIKE the fact that Tebow expects himself to work the hardest and has impressed the Champ Baileys on the field.

Talk is cheap.

But no matter what. No matter who takes the ball from under center. No matter who the DC is. And no matter who the headcoach or owner is:

B R O N C O S BABY.

FO-EVAH:salute:

jhildebrand
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
But has anyone thought of what would have happened if Cutler had BEEN here when Marshall was doing his practice punting, and Scheffler secretly was hatin on McD in the backround?

Did you forget how Cutler handled Marshall in a particular presser where he called Marshall out?

"He is not my favorite person right now" was the quote. Cutler had his issues with Marshall and he always handled them well.

Also, I think the opposite could be argued, Marshall never punted balls and was as big a malcontent when Shanahan was Coach and Cutler the QB.

The fact is they are gone and no longer matter here!

What does matter is that we drafted a QB in the first round. I don't mind all the good news coming from camp even if some of it is contrived! I would expect nothing less from a 1st round pick.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Did you forget how Cutler handled Marshall in a particular presser where he called Marshall out?

"He is not my favorite person right now" was the quote. Cutler had his issues with Marshall and he always handled them well.

Also, I think the opposite could be argued, Marshall never punted balls and was as big a malcontent when Shanahan was Coach and Cutler the QB.

The fact is they are gone and no longer matter here!

What does matter is that we drafted a QB in the first round. I don't mind all the good news coming from camp even if some of it is contrived! I would expect nothing less from a 1st round pick.

Yep the history doesn't support the notion that Cutler would have made things worse.

Bingo they're gone lets stop pissing around with mud sling. :salute:

Tned
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah. Wow.

Anyone notice how much more calm the forums are here?

All we're hearing is how hard these guys are working, and how theyre all improving.

How about throwing passes to the ground, or watching video of your so called star receiver PUNTING the football?

Its a shame......a REAL shame.......that was part of the total package of Marshall.

Immaturity with Cutler and Scheff..........and these are leaders?

I thought it was the dumbest move in history to trade Cutler at that point and time.

Perhaps he will mature and become a great baller.....I hope he does.

How would Cutler have responded to an on the practice field correction in front of everyone where Josh yelled at him for making a mistake?

My thought is he would not have handled it well.

And that would have led to some real chaos around here.

A year after the fact...............Im glad Cutler is gone.

And looking at our team, Im glad Marshall is gone too.

And the third wheel Scheff.

I LIKE the fact that Tebow expects himself to work the hardest and has impressed the Champ Baileys on the field.

Talk is cheap.

But no matter what. No matter who takes the ball from under center. No matter who the DC is. And no matter who the headcoach or owner is:

B R O N C O S BABY.

FO-EVAH:salute:

Whether good or bad that Cutler is gone (how Cutler's and Tebow's careers go from here will go a long way in determining), I should point out that Shanahan chewed Cutler out plenty of times on national TV and it didn't seem to phase him, so I doubt there would have been a major problem with being called out on the practice field. Also, Cutler had previously called Marshall out, so he probably would have had no problem doing it again after the ball punting incident.

To that incident, none of us know everything that went on. We only get pieces. We know that prior to that, Marshall was relegated to the scout team, running as a safety and punt gunner, with the entire team standing on the sidelines laughing at his embarrassment (running as a punt gunner on the scout team). Did that cause the punting incident? Did he do something to justify the demotion/embarrassment first? We don't really know. Very possibly he did.

Regardless of how things go from here, I am one of the people that was very happy when McDaniels got the WR and QB in the first round. When he traded Cutler last year, the only comfort I took was that with two first round picks this year, he would be able to replace him with another 'potential' franchise QB (to save the arguments, we will apply potential to Cutler and the guy he would hopefully pickup). When he blew the pick on A. Smith, I figured that chance was gone, so when he maneuvered to pickup Tebow and Thomas, I loved the move.

Now, he has to make Thomas and Tebow into players at least as productive as Marshall and Cutler. You have to say one thing for McDaniels, he doesn't lack balls and runs the team his way, and seems to have fun while doing it. All qualities I like.

topscribe
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Whether good or bad that Cutler is gone (how Cutler's and Tebow's careers go from here will go a long way in determining), I should point out that Shanahan chewed Cutler out plenty of times on national TV and it didn't seem to phase him, so I doubt there would have been a major problem with being called out on the practice field. Also, Cutler had previously called Marshall out, so he probably would have had no problem doing it again after the ball punting incident.

To that incident, none of us know everything that went on. We only get pieces. We know that prior to that, Marshall was relegated to the scout team, running as a safety and punt gunner, with the entire team standing on the sidelines laughing at his embarrassment (running as a punt gunner on the scout team). Did that cause the punting incident? Did he do something to justify the demotion/embarrassment first? We don't really know. Very possibly he did.

Regardless of how things go from here, I am one of the people that was very happy when McDaniels got the WR and QB in the first round. When he traded Cutler last year, the only comfort I took was that with two first round picks this year, he would be able to replace him with another 'potential' franchise QB (to save the arguments, we will apply potential to Cutler and the guy he would hopefully pickup). When he blew the pick on A. Smith, I figured that chance was gone, so when he maneuvered to pickup Tebow and Thomas, I loved the move.

Now, he has to make Thomas and Tebow into players at least as productive as Marshall and Cutler. You have to say one thing for McDaniels, he doesn't lack balls and runs the team his way, and seems to have fun while doing it. All qualities I like.

It's obvious that McD has the attitude that, if he's going down, he's going
down in flames. I have always admired that spirit . . .

-----

Tned
06-14-2010, 04:58 PM

-----

Yep, and if he is going to be judged on the success/failure of the team, he is going to make sure he does everything in his power to win, based on what 'he' thinks it takes to win.

I haven't agreed with everything he has done and think, like the owner, that he made some rookie mistakes, but overall I really like what he's doing in Denver, and reiterate my hope that he is the coach for a long time to come.

Ravage!!!
06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
dude, come on. . . it's freakin' minicamp-- you're really longing to read some ridiculous fluff piece?

i mean, seriously. . . how in the world do you expect to hear that he's playing well when they aren't even playing yet:questionmark::questionmark:

i really wanna hear this explanation. . .

i know we're all impatient for some football, but it's the middle of june, man!

Dog.. I really expect more from you, than this. I think you are just getting defensive. I'm not attacking Tebow, and not saying that we SHOULD be reading this by now. But all we read is the "how hard of a worker he is."

I've heard that about so many players. Thats great. I'm going to use the RUDY example again, since it fits.

Rudy was a hard worker, a great guy, and one that put in the hours. Fantastic. We know Tebow is a great athlete, a great personality, and a hard worker. Great. We've heard it time and time and time again. We get it. I've already put the count up for how many times people are going to use the same lame phrase, "first one to come in, last one to leave." Its up to about 1,000, 000, 102 by now. We get it already.

My point is simple.. as I said. I can't WAIT to start reading something more than just how hard the guy works. I never said we SHOULD be reading more than this. I didn't say it was TIME to be reading more than this. I said I can't wait to when we CAN or SHOULD be reading more than this! We read that same thing about a TON of players in the NFL...every year. Tebow doesn't work harder than everyone else, despite the heavy-laden-mantra. Thats just what some say to make up for his lack. As if to say "well, yeah.. but he works hard." Got it. He works hard.

Fluff piece or not.. point is... we can only hear the same "he works hard" so many times before we WILL need to start hearing something more than "he is the first one in and the last to leave." They HAVE started throwing, and practicing, and there WAS reports of him struggling (let me say right here and now, that I don't give a rat's ass if he struggles this early).

But give me a FRIGGIN break on your over-defensiveness of Tebow already. Damn.

dogfish
06-14-2010, 08:15 PM

-----

Dog.. I really expect more from you, than this. I think you are just getting defensive. I'm not attacking Tebow, and not saying that we SHOULD be reading this by now. But all we read is the "how hard of a worker he is."

I've heard that about so many players. Thats great. I'm going to use the RUDY example again, since it fits.

Rudy was a hard worker, a great guy, and one that put in the hours. Fantastic. We know Tebow is a great athlete, a great personality, and a hard worker. Great. We've heard it time and time and time again. We get it. I've already put the count up for how many times people are going to use the same lame phrase, "first one to come in, last one to leave." Its up to about 1,000, 000, 102 by now. We get it already.

My point is simple.. as I said. I can't WAIT to start reading something more than just how hard the guy works. I never said we SHOULD be reading more than this. I didn't say it was TIME to be reading more than this. I said I can't wait to when we CAN or SHOULD be reading more than this! We read that same thing about a TON of players in the NFL...every year. Tebow doesn't work harder than everyone else, despite the heavy-laden-mantra. Thats just what some say to make up for his lack. As if to say "well, yeah.. but he works hard." Got it. He works hard.

Fluff piece or not.. point is... we can only hear the same "he works hard" so many times before we WILL need to start hearing something more than "he is the first one in and the last to leave." They HAVE started throwing, and practicing, and there WAS reports of him struggling (let me say right here and now, that I don't give a rat's ass if he struggles this early).

But give me a FRIGGIN break on your over-defensiveness of Tebow already. Damn.

i obviously mis-read your post, then-- my bad. . .

no big deal. . . . ;)

Elevation inc
06-15-2010, 09:36 AM

well in all honesty burger bill comended him for bouncing back after a rough friday with a very good following day, also comended him for very good arm strength....seems thats in line with him progressing....TC will be a legit test as opposes to OTA's but i have been encouraged so far...no one should be expecting crazy things year 1 from him....

im quite confident we can make the playoffs with orton and this team....will we win a AFC championship or SB with him? very doubtful....can we win a wildcard game with him???? absolutely.....