PDA

View Full Version : Broncos LB Ayers working way out of doghouse

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 05:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-ayers

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—The discord that led Robert Ayers to dwell in his coach’s doghouse appears to have diminished.

After mostly watching from the sideline the first two days of minicamp due to a “coaching decision,” the Denver Broncos linebacker was back in the mix on a gloomy Sunday, working primarily with the second team.

For now, the discontentment has abated.

Not that Ayers or coach Josh McDaniels would elaborate on its source.

“It was for a good reason,” Ayers said on his way to the locker room after wrapping up practice. “End of the day, it will make me a better player and better person.”

Whatever the disharmony may have been, McDaniels said he’s already flipped the page.

“I commend him for the work he’s done and the way he’s approached this entire offseason,” McDaniels said. “That’s something I think that’s resolved itself and we’re all excited to move forward with that. There are no other issues with it.”

Ayers was drafted with the 18th overall pick in 2009 to help shore up a sagging pass rush. But it was a pretty uneventful inaugural season for Ayers, the one bright spot coming when he scooped up a fumble and raced 54 yards for a touchdown against Pittsburgh on Nov. 9, a team record for a rookie.

Other than that, his stats were pretty bland—no sacks and 18 tackles in 15 games (just one start).

Not exactly the kind of numbers expected from a high pick.

With a season under his belt, though, Ayers is vowing changes in 2010.

“Physically, I feel better,” said Ayers, a standout at Tennessee. “I know what to expect. I know what it’s going to be like and I know my role. I have a better understanding of the defense and I know what’s expected of me from the coaches and from the other players on the team.”

Ayers will be competing for playing time with players such as Jarvis Moss, another high first-round pick that hasn’t lived up to expectations. Moss has just 3 1/2 career sacks since being taken 17th overall out of Florida in 2007.

“It’ll be interesting to see how that goes, but they know they’re in a competitive situation,” McDaniels said. “I think both of them improved because of that and we’ll let that play out.”

For Moss, the challenge lies in learning how to keep up with tight ends and tailbacks in the Broncos’ 3-4 defensive scheme. He’s always been a relentless pass rusher, so dropping back into coverage as a hybrid linebacker is a relatively foreign concept.

So far, he’s relishing the role.

“I should have been doing this. This is what I was supposed to have been doing when I came to the NFL,” said Moss, who’s trying to add around eight more pounds to his 6-foot-7, 257-pound frame. “If you put in the time and effort to understand stuff, when you come out here on the field, everything slows downs and you can play fast.”

That’s dawning on rookie quarterback Tim Tebow as well, who finished up the three-day minicamp in fine fashion as he made some nice plays, some good reads.

Still, Tebow had his share of misreads, too, and times when he held onto the ball too long in the pocket. That’s something he’ll work on fixing before training camp begins in late July.

“Obviously, I’ll be here working out, throwing and running and a lot of mental work as well,” Tebow said.

Anything in particular he needs to address?

“It’s hard to pick one thing I need to work on the most. I think it’s a lot of things,” Tebow said. “Overall, it’s seeing the defense, knowing the offense and knowing the audibles, how you want to do the protections, knowing the calls and then playing fast.

“This past week I think I improved a lot in just playing faster and what we’re trying to do, but I’ve still got a ways to go as far as understanding and comprehending the overall goal of each concept and each play.”

SoCalImport
06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Great news. Whatever it was (sounds like a conduct issue) it's in the past and had little or nothing to do with Ayers progress or ability to play the position. Sounds like the kid is taking the right steps to do what's expected.
Lets hope for no more "Ayers in the doghouse" news.

honz
06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
I hope Ayers was late because he was getting some, at least.

UnderArmour
06-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Wow incredible news... I could not believe Jarvis Moss is still actually on the team. Wow. I could have swore that that guy was a complete bust and we were getting nothing out of him.

bcbronc
06-14-2010, 02:26 AM
I can't fully comprehend the concept of getting contributions from Ayers AND Moss next season. but man, if that did happen, we'd be in pretty good shape at OLB all of a sudden.

I'll buy in when I see it myself though, especially in the case of Moss.

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 02:46 AM
To think that everyone well mostly are ragging on Ayers because he is a #1 choice for his lack of production calling him a bust. Even though he was a rookie, playing in a NEW position UP OLB instead of Down DE that he played in college. The speed of the game is upped while learning a new scheme and plays.

All the while giving doom a pass on not producing anything BUT sacks.

Yes he was also in a new scheme, coaching staff "position"

YET he really did the same thing he always did just flexed a few feet to his left. Thus avoiding getting beat up by the ORT.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

claymore
06-14-2010, 06:35 AM
To think that everyone well mostly are ragging on Ayers because he is a #1 choice for his lack of production calling him a bust. Even though he was a rookie, playing in a NEW position UP OLB instead of Down DE that he played in college. The speed of the game is upped while learning a new scheme and plays.

YET he really did the same thing he always did just flexed a few feet to his left. Thus avoiding getting beat up by the ORT.

Pleasssseee! If this was Shanahans choice you would be on fire. We spent 3 #1 picks last year and only one contributed, and Im being positive. Your patient fan BS isnt fooling anyone.

I like Ayers, and I question McDaniels maturity more than I do his. This could be another personality conflict that we are all to familiar with McDaniels.

I will give Ayers the benefit of the doubt.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 07:05 AM
It's interesting Jr that you talk about Ayers needing time to learn a new position and that his lack of production is due to him being a rookie. Yet until McDaniels came to town you always maintained that first round draft choices should be starting right away.

Yet the whine flows freely when you talk about Dumervil who was also learning a new position.

broncobryce
06-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Good to hear ayers is out the doghouse. I love his attitude. Ayers is going to be much improved. Moss probably won't which sucks.

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Not sure about Moss sounds like he is getting it finally. Maybe being a contract year it will matter/motivate him into playing better. Maybe he is finnally healthy enough to make it on the field.

T.K.O.
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Pleasssseee! If this was Shanahans choice you would be on fire. We spent 3 #1 picks last year and only one contributed, and Im being positive. Your patient fan BS isnt fooling anyone.

I like Ayers, and I question McDaniels maturity more than I do his. This could be another personality conflict that we are all to familiar with McDaniels.

I will give Ayers the benefit of the doubt.

Ayers drops on depth chart after "mistake"
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/14/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

In late May, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels lauded the "professional approach" of linebacker Robert Ayers during the offseason.

But as the Broncos wrapped up their on-field, full-team offseason workouts Sunday, Ayers had been bumped down the depth chart and was not on the field with the defensive starters.

After getting few snaps Friday and Saturday, Ayers did some situational work with the backup nickel package and took a few plays on the scout team Sunday.

Ayers declined to explain what had happened, whether it was an off-the-field issue or something such as a missed meeting. He called it "a mistake I made and I really just want to leave it at that. That's all."

"But at the end of the day it will make me a better player and a better person," Ayers said. "Every rep you miss is always a loss. You learn from your mistakes and move forward, and that's what I'm going to do."Ayers was the 18th pick of the 2009 draft — one of Denver's two first-round choices — and finished last season with 19 tackles in limited playing time.

McDaniels continually praised Ayers' offseason work until pushing him to the sideline. But he said Sunday that Ayers was back in good standing overall.

"He's fine. I commend him for the work he's done and the way he's approached this entire offseason," McDaniels said. "That's something that I think has resolved itself. We're all excited to move forward with that. There's no other issues with that."

Jarvis Moss, the Broncos' first-round draft pick in 2007, worked much of the time with the defensive starters at one of the outside linebacker spots because of Ayers' absence. McDaniels said they would enter training camp "in competition."

"It shows if you put in the time and effort with your playbook, things can happen," Moss said. "I'm like everybody. I want to play."

Receptive to sharing.

Even without Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who's now with Miami, quarterback Kyle Orton believes the Broncos' wideouts can be better overall by spreading the wealth.

The Broncos are looking for a group led by Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Brandon Lloyd and Brandon Stokley to pick up the slack. Marshall had 101, 104 and 102 receptions for the Broncos the last three years.

"I just hope we continue this enthusiasm and all this effort we're putting into it," Orton said. "You're not going to replace a 100-catch guy with one guy. But I think as a unit we could certainly have a better wide receiver unit than last year and hopefully everybody's pulling the load and having good games."

Orton and McDaniels have said Royal should have a bigger impact this year. Lloyd too. Orton and Lloyd were teammates for a season in Chicago.

"I had a lot of confidence in Brandon. He's an explosive receiver and can make plays when he's covered," Orton said of Lloyd. "He's really coming into his own on this team. Everybody has confidence in him. . . . He's had a heck of a spring."

Footnotes.

The Broncos still have two weeks of conditioning workouts before breaking until training camp. . . . Sunday's practice had plenty of situational work, including end-of-game and end-of-half scenarios. . . . Drafted rookies J.D. Walton (center) and Zane Beadles (left guard) continued to work with the starting offensive line.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Good to hear ayers is out the doghouse. I love his attitude. Ayers is going to be much improved. Moss probably won't which sucks.

It will probably be hard for Moss to break through considering whose ahead of him but I don't think that necessarily means he hasn't made improvements. Maybe he'll move ahead of Darrell Reid.

Superchop 7
06-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Moss was at 230 not too long ago, no doubt he is getting healthy.

Tough thing he went through, was very weak for a long time.

Good for him.

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 10:58 AM
The staff infction took a lot out of him and he was not rady to play at this level.

Let's hope he can keep the weight on being 6-6+ and weighing 230 pounds will not make it at OLB. For that matter no where in the NFL.

I wish them both well better to have more talent then what we have had last year.

Ravage!!!
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
It's interesting Jr that you talk about Ayers needing time to learn a new position and that his lack of production is due to him being rookie. Yet until McDaniels came to town you always maintained that first round draft choices should be starting right away.

Yet the whine flows freely when you talk about Dumervil who was also learning a new position.

That needs to be highlighted and repeated. For we've heard that repeated from Jr SOOOO many times over the years. Hell, he even said that ANY WR drafted, SHOULD end up better than Rod Smith because Rod wasn't drafted. He's always stated that first round picks should be first DAY starters. I guess his perspective has changed, since now he has to "justify" the draft choices of his new best friend.... the guy that took over for Shanahan.

dogfish
06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I can't fully comprehend the concept of getting contributions from Ayers AND Moss next season. but man, if that did happen, we'd be in pretty good shape at OLB all of a sudden.

I'll buy in when I see it myself though, especially in the case of Moss.

don't get too excited. . . . :lol:

couldn't pass up a chance to piss on your new whipping boy some more, huh?

:coffee:

The Glue Factory
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
The fact that Ayers was in the dog house for just a couple of days bodes well. I've seen other situations (other players & coaches) where the situation took weeks or months to resolve (sometimes in the departure of the player.)

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 02:40 PM
don't get too excited. . . . :lol:

couldn't pass up a chance to piss on your new whipping boy some more, huh?

:coffee:

Well you know it's like Dumervil is ever around the ball except for sacks. It's not like he's forcing fumbles or that he's ever around the ball with exception of sacks. :salute:

Bosco
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
It will probably be hard for Moss to break through considering whose ahead of him but I don't think that necessarily means he hasn't made improvements. Maybe he'll move ahead of Darrell Reid.

Moss only has 1 guy ahead of him, and that's Dumervil (or Ayers, if they move him to the strong side). Reid will be the backup on the other side.