PDA

View Full Version : A Working Vacation

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 05:08 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10181

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Check another task off the list.

After Sunday's final minicamp practice, OTAs have come to a close. All that remains between the team and training camp are the final two weeks of offseason conditioning and about a three-week break to recharge the batteries.

"We've put in a lot of time and a lot of hard work," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "After the next two weeks here to finish up the offseason program, they've really earned some time to just kind of relax and get their minds off football for a little bit. Then come back refreshed hopefully and ready to go for a long stretch."

Once the end of July hits, the team will essentially be working straight through until the bye week -- the first weekend in Novemeber. So it's understandable if the players want a little time off. But no one in the locker room seemed ready to simply sit around and lose all the work they have already done.

"We had a good spring camp and (we are) trying not to let all this go to waste right now," Daniel Graham said.

So the three-week break might in actuality amount to a few days' rest before jumping back into the swing of things. The idea is to hit the ground running when training camp comes around.

"You take a few days off to let your body rest, but in this sport, it's a year-round sport, so you've got to maintain your body and keep everything up," Baraka Atkins said. "It's not going to be a long break. A lot of the time I won't be here, I will still be working."

Some players plan to stick around Dove Valley during the time off, while some plan to head home to visit with family. But regardless, the feeling around the facility is palpable -- guys can't wait until training camp.

"You want your time off, but after you do the minicamp and a couple people start feeling like they're strong without the pads on, you're looking forward to putting the pads on to get a little competitive," Le Kevin Smith said, smiling.

MOSS SEEING INCREASED REPS

Throughout this weekend's minicamp, Jarvis Moss found himself filling an outside linebacker role on the first-unit defense.

That wasn't by accident. McDaniels said that the fourth-year pro has put in extra work in the classroom, in the weight room and on the field, and has essentially forced the coaching staff's hand.

"I don't think Jarvis is going to settle for anything less than trying to create a big role on our team," McDaniels said. "That's what we hope he does. He's really worked well and we're really pleased with the work that he's put in so far. He's earned a lot of reps for himself, which is great."

Moss said he's still getting used to his role as a linebacker, but it's one that he finds himself more and more comfortable in as the days go by.

"I should have been doing this, just being honest," Moss said. "This is what I was supposed to have been doing when I came to the NFL. ... It works for me. I'm athletic, I can run, I can move in space and there's nothing that I really can't do at outside linebacker."

With the NFL's reigning sack leader Elvis Dumervil presumably filling one outside linebacker position, McDaniels was asked about a competition between Moss and Robert Ayers for the other spot.

"They are going to be competing," the head coach said, adding that there are multiple players that could play the position. "It will be interesting to see how they handle it, but I think both of them have improved because of it and we are going to let that play out."

Moss, for one, can't wait for the season to get started.

"I'm looking forward to it," he said. "It's a long ways to go, and I'm going to get better from now to the point when we're kicking the ball off to actually win a game."

AYERS PRACTICES

Ayers participated in Sunday's practice after watching the previous two practices from the sidelines, something McDaniels called a coaching decision.

After practice on Sunday, McDaniels said there was no longer an issue.

"He's fine," the head coach said of Ayers. "I commend him for the work he has done and the way he has approached this entire offseason. That's something that I think has resolved itself and I think we are all excited to move forward with that. I know Robert is."

MORE COVERAGE FROM DENVERBRONCOS.COM (all on link)

* To watch Head Coach Josh McDaniels' press conference, click here.
* For Sunday's practice blog, click here.
* For Sunday's transcripts, click here.

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Looking forward to training camp to see how much improvement has been acomplished this spring and past week.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums