PDA

View Full Version : Bailey not worried about future with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 08:36 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/bailey-100178-broncos-future.html

ENGLEWOOD • Champ Bailey is the longest tenured Denver Bronco. He was acquired about two months before linebacker D.J. Williams, who is second on that list, was drafted.

In Denver, the cornerback has solidified a resume that will probably put him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He has played six seasons for the Broncos and made five Pro Bowls — missing it in 2008 when he missed seven games because of injuries.

Broncos fans should appreciate Bailey this year because there’s no guarantee he’ll still be with the team in 2011. This is the last season of the mega-contract Bailey signed after he was acquired from Washington in a trade. The Broncos paid about $12.5 million in base salary and bonuses to keep him this year.

Bailey said there have been no talks yet about a new contract. The Broncos will face a tough decision if Bailey has another good season. Bailey turns 32 this month and is still one of the elite cornerbacks in the NFL, and will demand a contract that pays him as such.

Bailey said he simply doesn’t know what will happen after this season, and he’s not worried about it.

“This is the NFL, things change drastically, sometimes things stay the same,” Bailey said. “I’m ready for whatever.”

Bailey has grown comfortable in Denver and said he wants to stay here for the remainder of his career.

“I’d love to, absolutely,” Bailey said. “I’ve been treated pretty well since I’ve been here and I’d like to continue that.”

Although talks haven’t started between Bailey and the Broncos, Josh McDaniels has expressed before that he wants Bailey to be a part of his long-term plans.

“I’d love to have him be a Bronco as long as I’m here,” McDaniels said after last season ended.

Bailey will have some decisions of his own. He has said often that his one remaining desire in his career is to win a Super Bowl. He’ll have to determine whether the Broncos are his best option to accomplish that goal. Although the Broncos aren’t favored to win the AFC West this season, Bailey said he likes the franchise’s chances of competing for a championship soon.

“I think we’ve got the coach for it, I think we’ve got the players for it,” Bailey said. “I think it’s all about believing in each other and getting it done.”

Although many of the players from the Mike Shanahan regime were jettisoned by McDaniels, McDaniels did take a liking to some of the older Broncos. Bailey impressed him, and for good reason. Bailey didn’t allow a touchdown all last season, a great rebound after an injury-plagued 2008.

Bailey said he feels good and is unsurprisingly confident he’ll have another stellar season. What happens after the season will be determined later.

“I really can’t control it,” Bailey said. “My mentality now is, ‘One day at a time.’ Let me take care of right now, what I can control. The rest will take care of itself.”