PDA

View Full Version : Perrish Cox making a good early impression

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/

Rookie receiver Demaryius Thomas beat cornerback Champ Bailey for a touchdown in a red-zone drill today. Quarterback Tim Tebow had a good practice after struggling the past few the media have watched. Rookie offensive linemen Zane Beadles and J.D. Walton continued to work with the starting offense.

But of all the rookies so far this offseason, cornerback Perrish Cox might be the most surprising. Cox, a fifth-round pick, has shown good athleticism to go with above average size for the position. he broke up a pass in the end zone during one play in practice and had a reception line of veteran defensive backs ready to congratulate him.

"He’s a rookie like everybody else who’s come in here and he’s made his share of mistakes but he’s also earned, I think, some of the respect of the veterans - there’s some trust that I think he’s probably earned," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Although Nate Jones has been working as the third cornerback in the nickel package, Cox has been mixed in with the starting defense when Champ Bailey or Andre Goodman takes a play off.

Cox, Alphonso Smith and Jones seem to be headed towards a competition for two spots as nickel and dime cornerback. Cox was also an exceptional punt returner in college and could fill that role for the Broncos.

Cox slipped in the draft because of character issues, not concerns about his talent, and he has done well for the Broncos so far.

"He’s made mistakes that cost us but he doesn’t usually make the same mistake multiple times which is very important for a young player to learn," McDaniels said. "I think he goes about his business every day. He’s out there working hard. He’s here early and stays late. He’s trying to find a role in the kicking game as well as competing at both sides at corner. He hasn’t disappointed us in terms of what we thought we were getting."

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 07:17 AM
This sounds like a great problem to have to many quality CBs instead of like when we had Walls and another stiff on the other side.

I don't remember what the character issues were just hope they are history and do not come to the surface once he has money in his pocket.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 07:31 AM
What really caught my eye was the comment about him being a exceptional punt returner in college. It would be nice to have someone else handle that duty so Royal can concentrate on being a receiver.

claymore
06-14-2010, 07:41 AM
What really caught my eye was the comment about him being a exceptional punt returner in college. It would be nice to have someone else handle that duty so Royal can concentrate on being a receiver.

I love when we spend picks on good to great punt returners (DW & Royal). It always seems to work out.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I love when we spend picks on good to great punt returners (DW & Royal). It always seems to work out.

If Royal's primary duty would have been to return punts and kicks then I think his production would have gone up. It seems like when whose a starter and he's also returning punt, kicks or both then seems that their production suffers because of it.

SOCALORADO.
06-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Bye bye Alphie.

broncofaninfla
06-14-2010, 09:37 AM
If this continues this could very well be Champs last year with Denver unless he is willing to take a pay cut..............

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
If this continues this could very well be Champs last year with Denver unless he is willing to take a pay cut..............

I see it the same way looks like we have a bunch of potential replacements on the shelf. Much like NE has done it for a long time.

Having elite CBs let go when they wanted the moon. And go with good cheap replacements because they have invested in players in front of them on the field.

I will hope that Champ sticks around for some championship runs after all if he has invested well how much more money does he need.

But time will tell hopefully we can have the best of all worlds.

underrated29
06-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I doubt champ goes anywhere.....

We are getting close and after this season I think everyone even the media *gasp* will see that. But if the Phonz is really coming on like the ota's say, which mean about as much as Mcd statement that Kyle is the starter heading into camp. Then we will have the best set of DBs in the league. Champ will want to be a part of that. And part of our success to get to the big dance.

Dean
06-14-2010, 01:34 PM
This sounds like a great problem to have to many quality CBs instead of like when we had Walls and another stiff on the other side.

I don't remember what the character issues were just hope they are history and do not come to the surface once he has money in his pocket.

I am assuming that you mean 2004 when Lenny Walls was a starter. The other stiff was Champ Bailey.

underrated29
06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I am assuming that you mean 2004 when Lenny Walls was a starter. The other stiff was Champ Bailey.

:lol::lol:

Tempus Fugit
06-14-2010, 02:29 PM

Kelly Herndon

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 03:07 PM

The other stiff (Bailey) had 81 total tackles, 68 solo, 13 assists, 12 passes defended, and 3 interceptions in '04. Not bad for a stiff. :D