PDA

View Full Version : In the Thick of It

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10179

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Demaryius Thomas spent his first practice as a Bronco as a bystander attached at the hip to his position coach Adam Gase. Eight days later at the second day of minicamp, Thomas was running routes and snagging balls out of the air as a part of the offense.

A foot injury kept the Broncos' number one selection in the 2010 draft from participating as early as the other rookies, so Thomas spent his first week at practice playing catch up inside the playbook and between the lines. His second day at minicamp proved to be sharper than the first.

"I think (I'm improving) a lot," Thomas said. "It was just some little stuff that I was doing wrong and I came out and tried to correct some of it today, so I think I'm doing OK."

Described by defensive coordinator Don 'Wink' Martindale as the offense's "new toy," Thomas took the opportunity at practice to show he could transform from possesion receiver to a deep threat from play to play. His 6-foot-3-inch frame allows him to elevate over most defensive backs for jump balls, even if he doesn't always come down with them.

"I think that everyone has seen this guy make tremendous catches, and then there's been some other ones that he's dropped," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "I think that comes with playing and knocking off some of the rust. It's only his fourth or fifth practice where he's been out there against NFL-caliber defensive backs."

McDaniels likes how Thomas reacts when the opportunity to correct a mistake presents itself.

"He hasn't made the same error a lot," McDaniels said. "In terms of trying to get better at the things that he has struggled with or made an error with -- he has really worked hard to try to fix those. He's had a great attitude and approach."

Thomas isn't the only receiver who's been impressing McDaniels in minicamp. The head coach has enjoyed the attitude of third-year pro Eddie Royal, who he said will play a significant role in the slot in 2010.

"He has a smile on his face. He knows what he's doing and he feels great about being in there," McDaniels said. "I think everybody has a good feeling about that."

McDaniels has seen improvement from the whole receiving corps, but that it would impossible to keep each pass catcher on the roster.

"You can't keep eight receivers on your roster. We all know that," McDaniels said. "Some of them had good springs last year and they've got to take that performance and really show it in training camp and throughout the preseason. We're expecting it to be really competitive in training camp because it's been that way all spring."

QUARTERBACK TALK

McDaniels reiterated his stance on the starting quarterback position in today's press conference.

"Kyle (Orton) is the starter. There's no doubt," McDaniels said.

"There's nothing to be resolved, really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it. He deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does, then that player will play."

The coach was open to the idea of using different quarterbacks in different formations to take advantage of the diverse range of talents at the position.

"If we felt like that was something that we could do well, if it was something that our guys could actually function in and it'd help us win games, we might try it," McDaniels said. "We doodled around with it a little bit here. There are no guarantees or no plans to play multiple people unless it's the right thing to do. At this point, until we get in pads and see how that all sorts out, I don't think you can really (do that)"

AYERS NOT PRACTICING

Robert Ayers was on the field but did not participate in practice for the second consecutive day due to a coaching decision. McDaniels declined to elaborate, but said Ayers would be on the field tomorrow.

MORE COVERAGE FROM DENVERBRONCOS.COM

broncobryce
06-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I can see Demaryius getting 8 Td's this season.:listen:

BigBroncLove
06-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I just wish we had a better WR coach than Gase. He did well enough at LSU but as a QB coach with the Lions he doesn't inspire confidence. Glad Rod was out there working with Damaryius because I think besides Stokley there is little experience in the WR core to help the rooks along. That includes Gaffney IMO who as a journeyman is serviceable but not a leader.