PDA

View Full Version : Any chance Mike Bell makes the team??

Buff
05-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Hate to see Mike Bell get cut, I thought he came on strong at the end of his rookie campaign-- but I just don't see where he fits in with Sapp contributing solidly on special teams and the young kid out of Arkansas at FB... Obviously RB is jam-packed. Now that he's hurt I'd imagine he's going further into the doghouse... The Denver Post reports he's a long shot to make the team.

Does anyone envision a scenario that has him making the final 53 man roster?

I think Andre Hall at least has a chance because he can return kicks, but I'd plan on both of them being sent packing...

shank
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
at this point, no, which sucks cause i like mike, like his attitude, his ability, and have no idea what landed him in the doghouse.

i don't think hall makes the team either. royal is our returner now. and if he gets hurt or struggles and we want to go the RB route, remember how good sapp was at returning kicks a couple years ago before he broke his leg?... parker is also in the mix if he makes the team.

if henry gets cut, i suppose hall could stick around.

dogfish
05-30-2008, 03:31 PM
anything's possible, but i really doubt it. . . .

G_Money
05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
None right now.

If Henry herniates himself all over the field, I suppose it's possible, but right now he's last on a lengthy depth chart, and with Pittman able to play FB as well we won't even need to stash him there.

I don't see Bell making the squad without extraordinary strides in the camps - and when you're not getting reps, it's hard to impress.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
How many backs will we keep?

Bell
Torian
Hill
Sapp
Young
Hall
Henry
Pittman
Alridge

I think Bell is in big, big trouble.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Bell
Torian
Hill
Sapp
Young
Hall
Henry
Pittman
Alridge

If Henry get's his act together, I think he makes it. Under that impression I am leaning towards:

Henry, Young, Torain as our three running backs.

I'd hope Hillis would make it as a fullback. After that, it really comes down to whether or not the Broncos value Sapp's special teams abilities over Pittman's receiving and short-yardage impacts.

Aldridge is more than likely P.S. material, and ultimately Bell and Hall IMHO, would be the odd-men out.

JMHO, before we really see camp blossoming. We'll see what happens, because June 1st is what, tomorrow? We will need to cut some of our roster down by then.

shank
05-30-2008, 04:04 PM
i think shanny likes sapp a lot, and i expect him to stay. he was given a 2nd round tender and extended in recent years, he's the nate jackson of our runningbacks (without as many injuries)

G_Money
05-30-2008, 04:08 PM
i don't think hall makes the team either. royal is our returner now. and if he gets hurt or struggles and we want to go the RB route, remember how good sapp was at returning kicks a couple years ago before he broke his leg?

Hall has more of a chance to make the roster than Bell even tho Hall's practice squad eligibility is gone (IIRC - didn't he dress for too many games to be placed back on the PS?).

Hall can return kicks - not Bell's strong suit.

Hall is excessively fast and can run the same plays the same way that Young does - also not in Bell's bag. If Young goes down Hall can step in and the playbook doesn't have to change.

Hillis, Pittman & Torain are all bigger and stronger than Bell, who for some reason runs the "bruiser" package of plays. Which means Hall's competition for a roster spot is Young and Alridge, while Bell's is Henry, Torain, Pittman, Sapp and Hillis.

Hall is probably 2nd on his "competition" list right now, while Bell is 5th on his. Hall's chances are also buoyed since Alridge can theoretically be placed on the PS himself, while we're not likely to stuff both Hillis AND Torain on that list to accomodate Bell.

Bell can't even go to FB. Sapp has more value there and on ST, Hillis was drafted as a great college FB with RB potential, Pittman's played a better FB in his career than Bell has and even LARSEN has been talked about having FB potential (Before the Pittman signing - I would think that's pretty moot right now. I could see us shoving Larsen on the PS potentially for the upcoming season if necessary, but that's another thread).

Also, last season Shanny seemed to have a serious hate on for Bell.

Nothing is working in his favor - NOTHING.

So he'll need to be extraordinary to have a chance.

~G

lex
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
I think the chances of Shanahan cutting Bell, and re-signing him just for the satisfaction of cutting him again are greater than the chances of Bell making the team.

tubby
05-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Prancy is toast.

Rex
05-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Just as long as we dont have to see him wearing Terrell Davis' jersey again, I dont care.

BroncoJoe
05-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Bell will beat out Henry. You heard it here first.

:heh:

dogfish
05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Just as long as we dont have to see him wearing Terrell Davis' jersey again, I dont care.

if i could high-five this post a hundred times, i would!

:salute:

NameUsedBefore
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Doubt it.

Shanahan, and maybe I'm just magically perceiving this, really seemed to kinda turn on Bell and quickly at that. He fumbled once, I think, and we pretty much never saw the kid again.

Add in all the competition which could simply be better than Bell and I doubt he makes it.

Traveler
05-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't understand the love for Sapp. Jack-of-all trades, master of none. I'd be quite happy if Hillis and Alridge replace Sapp & Bell.

Retired_Member_001
05-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Mike Bell is butter fingers at running back, and littlegirlesque as a blocking Full Back. I remember last season, Shanahan finally gave him a carry. Bell fumbled the ball and was never seen again.

I hope it stays that way.

Watchthemiddle
05-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I really don't see a spot for M. Bell.

I don't feel he made the most of his opportunities that he had last season, and the depth chart is way too deep this year.

If guys start falling in the season, I bet Shanny will have his # handy though.

haroldthebarrel
05-30-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't understand the love for Sapp. Jack-of-all trades, master of none. I'd be quite happy if Hillis and Alridge replace Sapp & Bell.

thats a great point. We have had many of those Jack-of-all trades, master of none, but we never did really have one role player who could do one thing really well.
We might have that now in Powell though.
I remember the season where the Patriots traded a fourth for Ted Washington. The season before their run defense really sucked and I said they may have just gotten a superbowl for a fourth. I was lucky on that one.

But your point remains a good one.
as far as Bell is concerned he might be just the best goalline back, but he isnt really that much better than the rest. Thus, unless there are injuries and for instance Henry is cut for some other reason, there are no way I see him being here. And that might be the end of his pro career as well.

nevcraw
05-30-2008, 06:50 PM
A lot of you assume it was shanny's dog house he was in.. I'm betting he pissed of Turner.
I read an article a while back or maybe I dreamt it, but Turner was the the guy who picked the back with the hot hand in the RBBC not Shanny. Turner makes the call.
Bell making to the opening day roster IMO would a miraculous coup.
The real question is.. Will he still be a bronco fan after they cut him?

pnbronco
05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
So can someone tell me about Hill? I really don't know the kids coming out of college with Buff saying he's very strong I'm just curious, thanks.

red98
05-30-2008, 08:52 PM
because June 1st is what, tomorrow? We will need to cut some of our roster down by then.

There is no roster cut down on June 1. The limit now and since the offseason began is 80.

Also, yeah I think MB is going to get cut.

Hobe
05-30-2008, 08:59 PM

Bell
Torian
Hill
Sapp
Young
Hall
Henry
Pittman
Alridge

True, but if he has a good camp he may catch on some where else.

Retired_Member_001
05-31-2008, 07:59 AM
True, but if he has a good camp he may catch on some where else.

We should have traded him last season. Mike Bell had some value last season.

jrelway
05-31-2008, 09:27 AM
will mike bell make the team?....who cares. he can shimmy his ass to another team.

Inkana7
05-31-2008, 10:56 AM
There's simply too many backs who are more talented than he is on the roster. He's gone.

dogfish
05-31-2008, 01:43 PM
We should have traded him last season. Mike Bell had some value last season.

actually, he didn't-- we did try to trade him last year, and no one wanted him. . . .

DenverBronkHoes
05-31-2008, 02:38 PM
i love this guy.... hes got a great story..... hes got alot of heart and fire.... unfortunately his chances of making the 53 are slim to none... Hes just not good enuff....

lex
05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
actually, he didn't-- we did try to trade him last year, and no one wanted him. . . .

Yeah, people need to realize that we can only trade RBs like Ruben Droughns and Tatum Bell so many times before other teams catch on to the fact that they look better on Denver than they will on their own team. Yet another reason to draft a good running back. The old trick of drafting a late round running back, watching them be productive on our team, and then dumping them in a trade to improve another position is coming to an end.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Hate to see Mike Bell get cut, I thought he came on strong at the end of his rookie campaign-- but I just don't see where he fits in with Sapp contributing solidly on special teams and the young kid out of Arkansas at FB... Obviously RB is jam-packed. Now that he's hurt I'd imagine he's going further into the doghouse... The Denver Post reports he's a long shot to make the team.

Does anyone envision a scenario that has him making the final 53 man roster?

I think Andre Hall at least has a chance because he can return kicks, but I'd plan on both of them being sent packing...

Sure he has chance but I think it's a very slim chance. I my opinion his only chance is to beat out Sapp as a fullback.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 10:50 PM

Bell
Torian
Hill
Sapp
Young
Hall
Henry
Pittman
Alridge

The way it has been for years is three running backs and two fullbacks are on the 53 man roster and one running back on the practice squad.

shank
05-31-2008, 10:54 PM
The way it has been for years is three running backs and two fullbacks are on the 53 man roster and one running back on the practice squad.

i bet torain wouldn't last on PS, just because someone would take the chance to snag one of shanny's 'gems.'

i'm almost hoping for henry to get cut at this point. young, pittman, torain, hillis, sapp sounds about right...

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Mike Bell is butter fingers at running back, and littlegirlesque as a blocking Full Back. I remember last season, Shanahan finally gave him a carry. Bell fumbled the ball and was never seen again.

I hope it stays that way.

It took Sapp three years learn how to be fullback. Do you know why he was moved to fullback? Because he couldn't finish runs.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 11:09 PM
i bet torain wouldn't last on PS, just because someone would take the chance to snag one of shanny's 'gems.'

i'm almost hoping for henry to get cut at this point. young, pittman, torain, hillis, sapp sounds about right...

Unless Torain does something incredibly stupid he'll make the 53 man roster.

shank
05-31-2008, 11:09 PM
It took Sapp three years learn how to be fullback. Do you know why he was moved to fullback? Because he couldn't finish runs.

which is insane, because he had no trouble with it in college... i remember watching him carry guys for extra yards and TDs at CSU..

shanny likes him though, 2nd round tender 2 years ago, and now an extension, i expect him to make the team. if that mean's hillis getting cut or PSed, then i'm not happy about it, no matter how much i root for sapp.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 11:33 PM
which is insane, because he had no trouble with it in college... i remember watching him carry guys for extra yards and TDs at CSU..

shanny likes him though, 2nd round tender 2 years ago, and now an extension, i expect him to make the team. if that mean's hillis getting cut or PSed, then i'm not happy about it, no matter how much i root for sapp.

My best guess is that Sapp and Hillis will be our fullbacks going into the season.

Rick
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
As much as I like a feel good story Bell is gone.

Sapp is a good ST guy so he will stay.

I believe these are definite.

Torian
Hillis
Sapp
Young

Henry OR Pittman will make it. At this point I am betting on Pittman due to versatility to play HB or FB. The other will be cut.

And I think Alridge makes it due to versatility as he can play RB, WR and ST.

Ziggy
06-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Before we signed Pittman i would have bet money on Sapp making the opening day roster, because he's a decent special teams player and can give you depth at both FB and RB. Pittman can fill the same role, and he runs harder, blocks and catches better than Sapp. I'd say it's a battle to watch.

As far as Bell goes, I don't see any way that he makes the roster unless we have 3-4 backs go down with serious injuries.

Npba900
06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
i love this guy.... hes got a great story..... hes got alot of heart and fire.... unfortunately his chances of making the 53 are slim to none... Hes just not good enuff....

I've been impressed with Bell as well. However, it seems as though Bell will be a casualty of the numbers. He showed allot of promise two years ago, especially the game he had against the Colts. Bell has shown he has a nose for the end zone when inside the 5, has nice moves once he gets to the linebacker level, he just doesn't have any separation speed.

I think Bell has a slim chance of making the roster if he comes into camp showing he's vastly improved his blocking and that he can hang onto the ball. In other words, Bell can't afford to put the ball on the ground or miss any blocks one time! during training camp and should he see action in the preseason games.

He has got to change the vision and perceptions he's allowed Shanahan has taken towards him. He is going to have to come into camp and take no prisoners during. This is his 3rd year in the NFL and as a Bronco and can ill-afford to make the same mistakes he made in his rookie year and 2nd year.

Bell could still be a Bronco with two RB's go down with season ending injuries to Hall, Selvin, and Henry.

Bell got into Shanny's dog house by not blocking efficiently enough and by having untimely fumbles.

I can see Bell going to the Houston Texans should they have injuries to their running back corp.

Bell will do fine with any team that runs a west coast zone blocking scheme.

AlWilsonizKING
06-01-2008, 12:12 PM
We never know what will happen through TC and the Preseason. I have been and will be a MBell fan. Who are we to say now who will start? What if a few of the other RB's have terrible camps and PS's? I know we have a lot of talented RB's but a lot can happen up until the season starts.

PEACE!!!