PDA

View Full Version : Josh McDaniels: "No doubt" Orton is the starter

T.K.O.
06-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Josh McDaniels: "No doubt" Orton is the starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 12, 2010 5:24 PM ET
Kyle Orton lined up with the Broncos starters to open the offseason, and that's where he'll remain heading into training camp.

"[Orton is the starter. He is the starter, no doubt," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday, in a variety of different ways. Here's another:

"There's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

It doesn't sound like Brady Quinn is overly close to passing Orton, but it's also silly to draw many conclusions from non-padded practices.

"It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead, there's no question," McDaniels said. "He's playing that way and the other two guys -- I don't know if it matters if it's close or not but they're going to keep pushing him and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close."

Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past. Perhaps acquiring Quinn and Tim Tebow has helped to light a fire under him.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok words and actions don't always match up. We'll see what happens when they get to camp.

Ravage!!!
06-12-2010, 04:57 PM
heh.. this could be interpreted "after seeing Tebow play in the first practice, Orton is ABSOLUTELY the starter!" :lol: (joking joking)

Seriously though.. what does this say? Nothing. It says going INTO camp, Kyle is the starter. Ok, so what? That means nothing because it only matters who comes out of camp as the starter. Even if his intentions are to make Tebow the starter on day 1 (and not saying they are), this statement that Kyle is the starter going into camp, still holds true.

"There's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

Thats nothign more than saying.... the best player starts. Which is a no-news statement.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
heh.. this could be interpreted "after seeing Tebow play in the first practice, Orton is ABSOLUTELY the starter!" :lol: (joking joking)

Get a rope. :tsk: :D

dogfish
06-12-2010, 05:22 PM
for all the discussion/debate/speculation taking place over this, i really think it'll be a pretty serious upset if anyone besides orton comes out of camp as the starter. . . .

BroncoWave
06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
for all the discussion/debate/speculation taking place over this, i really think it'll be a pretty serious upset if anyone besides orton comes out of camp as the starter. . . .

Agreed. I will be very surprised if it's Tebow or Quinn. On the other hand, I'll also be somewhat surprised if Orton is still the starter in week 17.

gregbroncs
06-12-2010, 05:40 PM
for all the discussion/debate/speculation taking place over this, i really think it'll be a pretty serious upset if anyone besides orton comes out of camp as the starter. . . .If somebody besides Orton comes out of camp as the starter I believe it's a good thing. It means they have shown that they are better and that they have the trust of the coaches.

I don't think they will. But it seems to me that it would be a good thing if they do.

gregbroncs
06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Agreed. I will be very surprised if it's Tebow or Quinn. On the other hand, I'll also be somewhat surprised if Orton is still the starter in week 17.if the guy who starts week one is not the starter for week 17 then our season really sucked or the week 1 starter got hurt at some point and either got outplayed by his replacement or never came back.

I would prefer for the week 1 starter to finish the season as the starter.

Ravage!!!
06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Orton traded before season starts.

dogfish
06-12-2010, 05:45 PM
at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Orton traded before season starts.

you're high. . . :lol:

broncophan
06-12-2010, 05:56 PM

craziest post I have read on here in quite some time....

:laugh:.:laugh:..Anyone who thinks we will go into this season with Quinn and Tebow as our only qb options......is a ..........................oh never mind...no way Orton gets traded before this season.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Agreed. I will be very surprised if it's Tebow or Quinn. On the other hand, I'll also be somewhat surprised if Orton is still the starter in week 17.

Besides injury the only other ways that could see him being replaced before the end of the year is if he playing poorly or if the team is not playoff contention or a combination of the two.

BroncoWave
06-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Besides injury the only other ways that could see him being replaced before the end of the year is if he playing poorly or if the team is not playoff contention or a combination of the two.

I'm not saying I would be shocked if Orton is still starting in week 17. Just that I'd be mildly surprised. I think McDaniels can't wait to get Tebow on the field and I think if he progresses like McDaniels wants him to, he will eventually surpass him, unless Orton is putting up a great season.

Lonestar
06-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Josh McDaniels: "No doubt" Orton is the starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 12, 2010 5:24 PM ET
Kyle Orton lined up with the Broncos starters to open the offseason, and that's where he'll remain heading into training camp.

"[Orton is the starter. He is the starter, no doubt," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday, in a variety of different ways. Here's another:

It doesn't sound like Brady Quinn is overly close to passing Orton, but it's also silly to draw many conclusions from non-padded practices.

"It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead, there's no question," McDaniels said. "He's playing that way and the other two guys -- I don't know if it matters if it's close or not but they're going to keep pushing him and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close."

Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past. Perhaps acquiring Quinn and Tim Tebow has helped to light a fire under him.

there has been no doubt about his desire, only his ability to pick up this offense in a few weeks like some think he should have.

Or better yet that everyone should have been on the same page after TC last year.

I doubt if the Coaches were all on the same page as they were all new to it also.

Northman
06-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Seriously though.. what does this say? Nothing. It says going INTO camp, Kyle is the starter. Ok, so what? That means nothing because it only matters who comes out of camp as the starter. Even if his intentions are to make Tebow the starter on day 1 (and not saying they are), this statement that Kyle is the starter going into camp, still holds true.

Thats nothign more than saying.... the best player starts. Which is a no-news statement.

:lol:

I couldnt help but laugh at that as well. He says "Yes, Orton is our starter but if someone out plays him he will then be surplanted. :lol:

Wonderful. So its really an open competition. Thanks for your extreme genius McD. :lol:

BroncoBJ
06-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the breaking news :salute:

I had no idea.

BroncoWave
06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
:lol:

I couldnt help but laugh at that as well. He says "Yes, Orton is our starter but if someone out plays him he will then be surplanted. :lol:

Wonderful. So its really an open competition. Thanks for your extreme genius McD. :lol:

What else is he supposed to say? :confused:

Northman
06-12-2010, 07:28 PM
What else is he supposed to say? :confused:

Dont say a guy is a starter and then in the same sentence say he may not be starter. If Orton is the starter than he should start regardless of who out plays him in TC and PS. If its an open competition than state that no starter is in place and allow the players to compete for the job openly. Its not really rockit science here BTB. Come on bro.

BroncoWave
06-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Dont say a guy is a starter and then in the same sentence say he may not be starter. If Orton is the starter than he should start regardless of who out plays him in TC and PS. If its an open competition than state that no starter is in place and allow the players to compete for the job openly. Its not really rockit science here BTB. Come on bro.

The bolded part is absolutely retarded. You are saying that McDaniels shouldn't put his best players on the field because of who he named the starter in July? I know you don't really believe that. McD simply said that Orton is the starter RIGHT NOW (which is true) but if someone outplays him before the season, that person will become the starter. That is true for every position on every team in the NFL. It's really not rocket science here Northman. Come on bro.

Tempus Fugit
06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
The bolded part is absolutely retarded. You are saying that McDaniels shouldn't put his best players on the field because of who he named the starter in July? I know you don't really believe that. McD simply said that Orton is the starter RIGHT NOW (which is true) but if someone outplays him before the season, that person will become the starter. That is true for every position on every team in the NFL. It's really not rocket science here Northman. Come on bro.

Don't worry yourself about it. It's just another post where someone's deliberately looking for something to criticize the coach about.

dogfish
06-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Don't worry yourself about it. It's just another post where someone's deliberately looking for something to criticize the coach about.

yea, why can't those internet bullies leave the coach alone?

all he's tryin' to do is win a mother******* game!!

Tned
06-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Nice blanket stereotyping. I guess you just ignore the fact that other than a few select issues, North has been a consistent defender of McDanieils.

Wouldn't it be nice if people just discussed things, rather than 'assuming' they know the motives for other people's opinions?

dogfish
06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Nice blanket stereotyping. I guess you just ignore the fact that other than a few select issues, North has been a consistent defender of McDanieils.

Wouldn't it be nice if people just discussed things, rather than 'assuming' they know the motives for other people's opinions?

maybe you should have responded:

Don't worry yourself about it. It's just another post where someone's deliberately looking for something to defend the coach about.

:heh:

or maybe people could stop worrying about being the agenda police, and just talk about football. . .

ya know, these distractions never happen in the beer thread. . .

focus, people!

Tned
06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
maybe you should have responded:

:heh:

or maybe people could stop worrying about being the agenda police, and just talk about football. . .

ya know, these distractions never happen in the beer thread. . .

focus, people!

Yep, true dat.

It amazes me how some people get so caught up demonizing other's opinions and motives rather than just talking Broncos ball.

Tempus Fugit
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Nothing blanket about it. Thanks for jumping in though!

As for my "assuming":

1.) I've read many of his other posts, and have at least a feel for where he's going. His post here was clearly searching for something to bitch about, because McDaniels' comments were about as standard boilerplate as could be.

2.) You're 'assuming' that I ignored a "fact" that is, in reality, just your opinion. The "other than a few select issues" is classic, though, so thanks for that one.

It would be nice if people weren't looking for reasons to jump on the coach.

It would be nice if people weren't anti-player just because the player was brought in by the new regime.

It would be nice if every thread didn't devolve into an attack coach/defend coach thread, or into an attack coach by proxy through player/defend coach and player thread.

It would be nice if people wouldn't jump in on discussions while full of assumptions, and then complain about others assuming.

broncophan
06-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Hell......we should all just be happy we have 3 talented qb's who WANT to be here.....and who seem to be working well together as team mates.....unlike last year......at least we are not going through that crap this offseason.

Tned
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Nothing blanket about it. Thanks for jumping in though!

As for my "assuming":

1.) I've read many of his other posts, and have at least a feel for where he's going. His post here was clearly searching for something to bitch about, because McDaniels' comments were about as standard boilerplate as could be.

2.) You're 'assuming' that I ignored a "fact" that is, in reality, just your opinion. The "other than a few select issues" is classic, though, so thanks for that one.

It would be nice if people weren't looking for reasons to jump on the coach.

It would be nice if people weren't anti-player just because the player was brought in by the new regime.

It would be nice if every thread didn't devolve into an attack coach/defend coach thread, or into an attack coach by proxy through player/defend coach and player thread.

It would be nice if people wouldn't jump in on discussions while full of assumptions, and then complain about others assuming.

Lot's of good advice. Have you offered it to yourself? :confused:

NittanyBuff24
06-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Great another year of the lead footed stiff! My only salvation is that he is injury prone and cant get out of his own way!

Slick
06-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Watching Kyle Orton play football is like watching paint dry. Nothing personal against the guy. I'd party with him any day of the week.

Northman
06-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Bubby Brister. Do i need to say more?

Northman
06-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Why bring common sense to the equation? :lol:

BroncoWave
06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Bubby Brister. Do i need to say more?

Well shit, you got me there. Because of one example that happened 10 years ago, McDaniels shouldn't start who he deems the best player based on camp and preseason. Can't argue with that logic! :lol::lol::lol:

Northman
06-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Well shit, you got me there. Because of one example that happened 10 years ago, McDaniels shouldn't start who he deems the best player based on camp and preseason. Can't argue with that logic! :lol::lol::lol:

It was a tough lesson for the Broncos, laugh all you want. However, i never said he shouldnt start who he thinks is the best option. Only that he needs to state that its an open competition and not worry about saying so and so is the starter. He's contradicting himself in his statements but why point out the obvious? :lol:

Tned
06-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Why bring common sense to the equation? :lol:

I just think it's hillarious considering how many times in the last year you have ragged on me about being a McDaniels basher (as you blindly defended McD ;)), that the TF guy/gal now attempts to discredit your opinions as just the rantings of another McDaniels hater.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I totally understand what Coach McD is saying when he says that Orton is the starter - i.e. Orton finished as the starter last year, so RIGHT NOW, because enough time has not elapsed YET to see how/if either of the other two QB's will progress, no actual training camp yet, no preseason games yet - so of course, until/unless someone PROVES they are/will be better than Orton - ORTON IS THE STARTER.

Northman
06-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I just think it's hillarious considering how many times in the last year you have ragged on me about being a McDaniels basher (as you blindly defended McD ;)), that the TF guy/gal now attempts to discredit your opinions as just the rantings of another McDaniels hater.

I didnt blindly defend him, i just wanted to give him a chance which at this point is starting to greatly dwindle away. I will still give him this year and next year (if he makes it that long) to do what he needs to do. I mean, who am i to stop him? But so as long as he is the coach of this team i will continue to voice my happiness or displeasure as this is a Bronco forum. As for TF, he generally has some pretty good opinions but as of late he seems to have taken the RCS approach in just trolling looking to focus on members instead of debates at hand. But whatever floats their boat as i just dont bother with the sillyness anymore. :D

BroncoWave
06-13-2010, 12:14 PM
It was a tough lesson for the Broncos, laugh all you want. However, i never said he shouldnt start who he thinks is the best option. Only that he needs to state that its an open competition and not worry about saying so and so is the starter. He's contradicting himself in his statements but why point out the obvious? :lol:

:lol: No he's not.

Orton is the starter right now, that is a fact.

If someone proves that they are better down the line, they will become the starter. That is a fact.

There is no contradiction there.

Lonestar
06-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I totally understand what Coach McD is saying when he says that Orton is the starter - i.e. Orton finished as the starter last year, so RIGHT NOW, because enough time has not elapsed YET to see how/if either of the other two QB's will progress, no actual training camp yet, no preseason games yet - so of course, until/unless someone PROVES they are/will be better than Orton - ORTON IS THE STARTER.

A total logical comment from someone that is not invested one way or the other.

I have never heard anything from Josh othr than the best player plays. That players are brought in to push starters for the job.

So LOGICALLY not EMO it stands to reason Tebow or Quinn will push Orton for the job.

Anyone logially think that is untrue?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tned
06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I didnt blindly defend him, i just wanted to give him a chance which at this point is starting to greatly dwindle away. I will still give him this year and next year (if he makes it that long) to do what he needs to do. I mean, who am i to stop him? But so as long as he is the coach of this team i will continue to voice my happiness or displeasure as this is a Bronco forum. As for TF, he generally has some pretty good opinions but as of late he seems to have taken the RCS approach in just trolling looking to focus on members instead of debates at hand. But whatever floats their boat as i just dont bother with the sillyness anymore. :D

I have never, and will never, understand why some people get so offended and defensive when posters voice opinions contrary to their own.

How boring would this message board be if we all "hung from the nutsack" (as some of our cruder posters say) of the coach or QB, and all posted the same glowing things about them. Or, if we all bashed our "overrated" line backer, or former perennial 100 reception wide receiver.

It's a message board for goodness sake, and it is only an interesting place to visit if there is interesting conversation. If everyone is saying, "coach is great", "damn right", "he's the best", "blah, blah"... How on earth is that interesting?

As to the coach, IMHO, anyone that is not willing to admit that he has done many good things, but also made some mistakes, is simply not interested in objective discussion, but instead zealot like devotion or hatred.

Northman
06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
:lol: No he's not.

Orton is the starter right now, that is a fact.

If someone proves that they are better down the line, they will become the starter. That is a fact.

There is no contradiction there.

So otherwise its not a 100% guarantee Orton will be the starter just as i said. Thanks for verifying that. :salute:

BroncoWave
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
So otherwise its not a 100% guarantee Orton will be the starter just as i said. Thanks for verifying that. :salute:

:lol: McDaniels never said it's a 100% guarantee that he will be the starter in the future. He's only said he's the starter NOW!

You are really grasping for something that just isn't there!

spikerman
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I have never, and will never, understand why some people get so offended and defensive when posters voice opinions contrary to their own.

How boring would this message board be if we all "hung from the nutsack" (as some of our cruder posters say) of the coach or QB, and all posted the same glowing things about them. Or, if we all bashed our "overrated" line backer, or former perennial 100 reception wide receiver.

It's a message board for goodness sake, and it is only an interesting place to visit if there is interesting conversation. If everyone is saying, "coach is great", "damn right", "he's the best", "blah, blah"... How on earth is that interesting?

This is exactly why I don't understand people who use the "ignore" feature just because people disagree with them. If I only wanted to hear opinions that agreed with mine I would talk to myself in the mirror for hours (which I don't, as far as anyone on here knows).

Northman
06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
:lol: McDaniels never said it's a 100% guarantee that he will be the starter in the future. He's only said he's the starter NOW!

You are really grasping for something that just isn't there!

Im not grasping at anything. It just doesnt make sense to name a starter if its open to all the QB's to take. But damn, i guess we had to know who the starter of TC is because inquiring minds needed to know!!!!

But whatever. It was stupid to even name one based on what he said. Plain and simple. Time to move on.

BroncoWave
06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Im not grasping at anything. It just doesnt make sense to name a starter if its open to all the QB's to take. But damn, i guess we had to know who the starter of TC is because inquiring minds needed to know!!!!

But whatever. It was stupid to even name one based on what he said. Plain and simple. Time to move on.

He didn't name a starter. He simply said that Orton is starting now, which is true since he is currently taking the first team snaps. He didn't say anything that anyone didn't already know. If anything the media is stupid for asking the question, as they get to witness the practices with their own eyes. He was simply stating the obvious as a response to a question.

Of all the things one could possibly criticize McD for, this one is pretty stupid.

Tned
06-13-2010, 01:21 PM
This is exactly why I don't understand people who use the "ignore" feature just because people disagree with them. If I only wanted to hear opinions that agreed with mine I would talk to myself in the mirror for hours (which I don't, as far as anyone on here knows).

While I can't use the ignore feature now (as admin, I can't), I have never on any message board, put a single member on ignore. I personally can't understand why people get so offended by views that don't match their own that they have to become rude and disruptive.

Having said that, having lived on the mod/admin side of things for a while, I do realize that some people simply don't have the self control necessary to deal with people that don't parrot their own opinions, and therefore break the rules in responding to them. So, while I don't get it, I have come to understand that the ignore function is necessary for some posters.

As to the differing opinions, or lack there of that some wish for, what fun would life be if we were all the same?

Everyone driving yellow Ford Fiestas, wearing khaki pants and white polos. Everyone having a Blackberry Bold with the same ring tone. Etc., etc., etc.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 01:23 PM
OK - this is from YESTERDAY'S minicamp Day 2 transcripts - seems pretty CLEAR to me - FROM COACH MCD:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10178

HEAD COACH JOSH McDANIELS

On naming the starting quarterback before training camp
"(Kyle Orton) is the starter. He is the starter, no doubt."

On what a quarterback competition means to him
"If somebody beats out the starter, they become the starter. It's pretty simple."

On if there is a timetable for resolving the quarterback competition
"It needs to be resolved whenever it's clear - there's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

BroncoWave
06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
OK - this is from YESTERDAY'S minicamp Day 2 transcripts - seems pretty CLEAR to me - FROM COACH MCD:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10178

HEAD COACH JOSH McDANIELS

On what a quarterback competition means to him
"If somebody beats out the starter, they become the starter. It's pretty simple."

On if there is a timetable for resolving the quarterback competition
"It needs to be resolved whenever it's clear - there's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

Thanks Carol, and this is true for every position on every team in the NFL. Every position currently has a starter but if someone outplays that starter, they take his place. I really fail to see this contradiction that Northman seems to see.

Northman
06-13-2010, 01:27 PM
He didn't say anything that anyone didn't already know.

Bingo. Which makes the statement even more silly. If he was asked the question he could of just said its an open competition with the best player starting. Most people already knew Orton had the edge but when the coach makes statements that its still an open competition naming a starter really doesnt make a lot of sense at this point.

Of all the things one could possibly criticize McD for, this one is pretty stupid.

Its unfortuante that one would get that worked up over my opinion of his silly comments. :confused:

BroncoWave
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Bingo. Which makes the statement even more silly. If he was asked the question he could of just said its an open competition with the best player starting. Most people already knew Orton had the edge but when the coach makes statements that its still an open competition naming a starter really doesnt make a lot of sense at this point.

Makes perfect sense to me. You seem to be the only one who doesn't get it. :noidea:

Its unfortuante that one would get that worked up over my opinion of his silly comments. :confused:

:lol: I'm not worked up, simply stating my opinion!

As a matter of fact I'm enjoying watching Stephen Strasburg pitch right now so I am anything but worked up! :lol:

Northman
06-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. You seem to be the only one who doesn't get it. :noidea:

:lol: I'm not worked up, simply stating my opinion!

As a matter of fact I'm enjoying watching Stephen Strasburg pitch right now so I am anything but worked up! :lol:

Baseball sucks. :coffee:

BroncoWave
06-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Baseball sucks. :coffee:

You're just a negative nancy today! :lol:

NightTrainLayne
06-13-2010, 02:31 PM

With this logic, why have any back-ups or competition? Every position is up for grabs during the course of the off-season. Not based on one or two practices, but over the course off camp and pre-season and based on a longitudinal assessment of every player and ever position.

Would the coach be contradicting himself in saying that Champ Bailey is the starting CB, but that there is an open competition at every position? No. There's no contradiction at all. At this point in time Champ has proven himself consistently to be the best option, but somewhere down the road, he won't be anymore, and that's why there is always an open competition for every position.

Slick
06-13-2010, 02:35 PM

I think he almost had to declare or make some sort of statement to shut up the too many people that are employed in sports media North.

I'm sure they are all over McDaniels with QB questions. To me, that would be the worst part of being a coach...having to deal with the media.

NightTrainLayne
06-13-2010, 02:40 PM
I think he almost had to declare or make some sort of statement to shut up the too many people that are employed in sports media North.

I'm sure they are all over McDaniels with QB questions. To me, that would be the worst part of being a coach...having to deal with the media.

I can easily envision "Tebow Fever" taking over if McD hadn't made a declaratory statement that Orton is the Starter.

The down-side of "Tebow Fever" taking over is that fans get their expectations up irrationally, and by the time the season starts the pressure is enormous on virtually everyone from the top down to name Tebow the starter.

Fans are not as patient as coaching staffs have to be, and this requires the coaching staff to "name starters" at high profile positions. It's just a fact of life, like it or not.

Northman
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM
With this logic, why have any back-ups or competition? Every position is up for grabs during the course of the off-season.

Really? You mean Peyton Manning has to fight for his job every year? Really? :lol:

Would the coach be contradicting himself in saying that Champ Bailey is the starting CB, but that there is an open competition at every position?Absolutely. But ill touch on it more with your next statement.

At this point in time Champ has proven himself consistently to be the best option, but somewhere down the road, he won't be anymore, and that's why there is always an open competition for ever position.This is not accurate at all NTL. Sure, you always get players for added depth to spell your starting players when they tire with fatigue, etc. You also draft to eventually replace those guys with young players for the future. But it isnt like Champ has to fight for his job every year thats just outright absurd dude. Champ is a solid performer as you say but he has the job because he earned it aeons ago. Its not like he is a bubble player come on now. Besides, we are not talking about aging players we are talking about a young veteran QB who according to McD is fighting for a starting position because the HC doesnt seem to think he has won the job overall. If Orton was Manning do you really think he would be making statements like that? Gimme a break homie. :lol:

"We've got a guy [Orton] who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it," McDaniels said.

Either he deserves it or he doesnt. Which is it?

"If somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

But i thought Orton deserved it?

"He is the starter, NO DOUBT," McDaniels nonchalantly said.

No doubt means there is absolutely no other possibilty.

"I don't know if it matters if it's close or not, but they're going to keep pushing [Orton] and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close," McDaniels said.

If Orton deserves it why is there a need to make it close? Just let the other two guys sit behind him in case he gets hurt. If Orton is ahead of them playbook wise there is no need to push him as he seems (according to this article) way ahead of the other two. If thats the case there is no need to force any other QB out there on gameday. There is no way in hades hell that anyone is going to convince me that Caldwell would be making these same statemetns in the press regarding Manning. I dont care if Curtis Painter outplays Manning in TC or PS there is no way he would start over Manning.

Slick
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I can easily envision "Tebow Fever" taking over if McD hadn't made a declaratory statement that Orton is the Starter.

The down-side of "Tebow Fever" taking over is that fans get their expectations up irrationally, and by the time the season starts the pressure is enormous on virtually everyone from the top down to name Tebow the starter.

Fans are not as patient as coaching staffs have to be, and this requires the coaching staff to "name starters" at high profile positions. It's just a fact of life, like it or not.

Yup, .and it will only buy him a day or two until the questions start flying again.

Northman
06-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Absolutely, but ive already stated where i would of gone with my statements. Is it the end of the world as some have evidently made it here? No.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 03:57 PM
This is exactly the situation NOW - JUST NOW BEFORE TRAINING CAMP

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...&storyID=10178

Lonestar
06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Why is it so hard for the haters to just grasp it.

And comparing Champ or Manning to Orton now there is a real stretch.

You are all world HOF players and they will set when they decide to. And last I saw neihter had palyers drafted to push them.

Time to get over the obvious Orton is the starter till futher notice.

Tempus Fugit
06-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Lot's of good advice. Have you offered it to yourself? :confused:

Well, given that I don't just look for reasons to attack coaches/players/front office personnel of any team, regardless of whether I'm a fan or not, I'd say that I'm fine on that front.

As for the rest, coming from you, I'll just leave it at finding it ironic.

Tempus Fugit
06-14-2010, 12:58 AM
As for TF, he generally has some pretty good opinions but as of late he seems to have taken the RCS approach in just trolling looking to focus on members instead of debates at hand. But whatever floats their boat as i just dont bother with the sillyness anymore. :D

It's not about trolling. This is the offseason for the NFL. If every thread (yes, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point, I'm sure) devolves into an Anti v. Pro McDaniels thread, what little there is that's worth talking about gets swallowed up.

I have no problem with people calling out players/coaches/etc... that they think are screwing up, unless their reasoning sucks. I do have a problem when that sort of attacking infests every bloody thread. You've become one of the people instigating that, and bagging on a coach for noting that he's got a clear #1 during June OTAs but someone else could beat him out over time is pretty clearly just looking for an excuse to bash the coach.

I preferred the old Northman, and I hope he returns soon.

Lonestar
06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Way to many folks that have chosen sides and are totally in vested to back down at this point.

Some will be right some will be wrong.

Unfortunately some that are correct will try to I told you so and serve crow.
Which will serve no purpose.

Sad to see where this forum is going this off season.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Way to many folks that have chosen sides and are totally in vested to back down at this point.

Would you like a mirror?

Northman
06-14-2010, 11:49 AM
It's not about trolling. This is the offseason for the NFL. If every thread (yes, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point, I'm sure) devolves into an Anti v. Pro McDaniels thread, what little there is that's worth talking about gets swallowed up.

I have no problem with people calling out players/coaches/etc... that they think are screwing up, unless their reasoning sucks. I do have a problem when that sort of attacking infests every bloody thread. You've become one of the people instigating that, and bagging on a coach for noting that he's got a clear #1 during June OTAs but someone else could beat him out over time is pretty clearly just looking for an excuse to bash the coach.

I preferred the old Northman, and I hope he returns soon.

Now why you bagging on my age? ;)

Northman
06-14-2010, 11:49 AM

And you are right there with us JR. If fact, you would be the leader in all this so dont even go there.

underrated29
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Who likes Jake Plummer?
:welcome:

BroncoWave
06-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Who likes Jake Plummer?

He's for sure better than that loser Jay Cutler.

*tries to reignite Jay/Jake wars*

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Who likes Jake Plummer?

Not in this style of offense. ;)

dogfish
06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Who likes Jake Plummer?

no one. . . ****!

:D

underrated29
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
He's for sure better than that loser Jay Cutler.

*tries to reignite Jay/Jake wars*

We need to try harder.. No one is biting.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 04:48 PM
We need to try harder.. No one is biting.

Well that's just so 2006. ;)

Day1BroncoFan
06-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Gee, looks like Orton's the starter for now. We'll see if he can keep it or not.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Gee, looks like Orton's the starter for now. We'll see if he can keep it or not.

Agreed. :salute: