PDA

View Full Version : Orton 5th in the NFL in TD to Int ratio in redzone.

broncobryce
06-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I jacked this from Burger Bill over at ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

Touchdown to interception ratio

Here's a list of the active quarterbacks with the best touchdown to interception ratio in the red zone. The players here had at least 180 attempts to score.
Rank Player Attempts Touchdowns Interceptions Ratio
1 Philip Rivers, S.D. 258 68 2 34:1
2 Tom Brady, N.E. 564 151 7 21.57:1
3 Chad Pennington, Mia./NYJ 272 69 4 17.25:1
4 Donovan McNabb, Phi/Wash. 590 141 10 14.10:1
5 Kyle Orton, Den./Chi. 182 39 3 13.00:1

broncobryce
06-12-2010, 04:05 PM
What the hell? I had it lined up until it posted, then it messed up. Anyway Orton is 39 Td's 3 picks. 182 attempts. 13 to 1 ratio.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Ok but there is a difference of almost 30 more touchdowns thrown by the guy who has the highest ratio. If Orton is anything extremely careful with ball but he's by no means a playmaker when it comes generating points.

broncobryce
06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Ok but there is difference of almost 30 more touchdowns thrown by the guy who has the highest ratio. If Orton is anything extremely careful with ball but he's by no means playmaker when it comes generating points.

To be fair, he also has a lot more attempts than Orton, but his ratio is much higher as well. Still it is encouraging to know we have someone who is pretty good in the redzone, as turnovers in the redzone are an absolute killer.

dogfish
06-12-2010, 04:26 PM
orton is efficient and safe with the ball, no doubt. . . however, if it was just a pure TDs-opportunities ratio, i highly doubt he'd be in the top five. . . being safe with the ball sometimes also translates to settling for field goals instead of touchdowns. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 04:36 PM
orton is efficient and safe with the ball, no doubt. . . however, if it was just a pure TDs-opportunities ratio, i highly doubt he'd be in the top five. . . being safe with the ball sometimes also translates to settling for field goals instead of touchdowns. . .

Being safe with the ball sometimes also translates to settling for field goals instead of interceptions.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
To be fair, he also has a lot more attempts than Orton, but his ratio is much higher as well. Still it is encouraging to know we have someone who is pretty good in the redzone, as turnovers in the redzone are an absolute killer.

That's part of point, I think he passes up opportunities.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Being safe with the ball sometimes also translates to settling for field goals instead of interceptions.

It also means settling for lost opportunities to put an opponent away.

Softskull
06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Ok but there is difference of almost 30 more touchdowns thrown by the guy who has the highest ratio. If Orton is anything extremely careful with ball but he's by no means playmaker when it comes generating points.

If you figure the ratio for TD/attemp, Orton is actually quite good, really the best of that group.

Rivers 258 68 3.8
Brady 564 151 3.7
Penn 272 69 3.9
McNab 590 141 4.2
Orton 182 39 4.7

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
If you figure the ratio for TD/attemp, Orton is actually quite good, really the best of that group.

Rivers 258 68 3.8
Brady 564 151 3.7
Penn 272 69 3.9
McNab 590 141 4.2
Orton 182 39 4.7

I respect your opinion but I don't agree that he's the best of the group considering how many times fewer attempts he has compared to the others

elsid13
06-12-2010, 05:36 PM
He still sucks.

Lonestar
06-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I jacked this from Burger Bill over at ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

Touchdown to interception ratio

Here's a list of the active quarterbacks with the best touchdown to interception ratio in the red zone. The players here had at least 180 attempts to score.
Rank Player Attempts Touchdowns Interceptions Ratio

1 Philip Rivers, S.D. 258 68 2 34:1
2 Tom Brady, N.E. 564 151 7 21.57:1
3 Chad Pennington, Mia./NYJ 272 69 4 17.25:1
4 Donovan McNabb, Phi/Wash. 590 141 10 14.10:1
5 Kyle Orton, Den./Chi. 182 39 3 13.00:1
wrap [code] around it it comes out better.

Northman
06-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Orton is careful with the ball thats one reason why McD wanted to bring him here. But the problem then becomes when you need him to make actual plays at crunch time and he isnt able to do that.

Softskull
06-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I respect your opinion but I don't agree that he's the best of the group considering how many times fewer attempts he has compared to the others

My opinion of Orton is that he's mediocre, but his stats show him to be efficient. By no means was I trying to place him above Brady. We can discuss it further after Orton has three SB rings.

hamrob
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't think we called alot of passing plays when we got close...we actually tried to run it in quite a bit. Why?

Because McD didn't trust Orton.

When Orton did get the oppurtunity, he was so damn conservative...he wouldn't even try to make a play.

That's why (IMO) we got Quinn and drafted Tebow. It's great to be safe with the football, but you better also be able to make plays. Orton is not a playmaker.

dogfish
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I don't think we called alot of passing plays when we got close...we actually tried to run it in quite a bit. Why?

Because McD didn't trust Orton.

When Orton did get the oppurtunity, he was so damn conservative...he wouldn't even try to make a play.

That's why (IMO) we got Quinn and drafted Tebow. It's great to be safe with the football, but you better also be able to make plays. Orton is not a playmaker.

i felt for the past two-three years that we under-utilized our big-bodied receiving targets in the red zone-- i think marshall and scheffler were both capable of putting up better touchdown numbers. . .

once they're up to speed, i hope we make it a point to get thomas and decker heavily involved in the red zone packages. . .

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Orton is careful with the ball thats one reason why McD wanted to bring him here. But the problem then becomes when you need him to make actual plays at crunch time and he isnt able to do that.

Orton's style of play is a hindrance to coming from behind.

BoltWalt
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Jeez you guys can't even bring yourselves to say Philip Rivers' name instead you say the guy at the top of the list. You fans do not even like to admit that Rivers could have a statistic backing up how great Rivers is. :tsk: Too bad the list did not go long enough to show where Cutlery would show up on it. I believe that both Bronco fans and Bolt fans would be interested in how he would have fared on that list.

underrated29
06-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Jeez you guys can't even bring yourselves to say Philip Rivers' name instead you say the guy at the top of the list. You fans do not even like to admit that Rivers could have a statistic backing up how great Rivers is. :tsk: Too bad the list did not go long enough to show where Cutlery would show up on it. I believe that both Bronco fans and Bolt fans would be interested in how he would have fared on that list.

Top of the list on INT to TD ratio

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Don't get your panties in a wad. I've mentioned Rivers name plenty of times in connection with the things he does well. You're making something out of nothing.

Slick
06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

It's because we don't care about Phyllis or Cutler.

dogfish
06-14-2010, 02:49 PM
It's because we don't care about Phyllis or Cutler.

exactly-- why should we give a shit about either one of 'em?

neither of them plays for denver. . . . only the butthurt bitterboi's want to talk about cutler anymore, and rivers can fall in the pacific for all i care. . .

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 02:58 PM
exactly-- why should we give a shit about either one of 'em?

neither of them plays for denver. . . . only the butthurt bitterboi's want to talk about cutler anymore, and rivers can fall in the pacific for all i care. . .

Butthurt bitterbois. :rofl:

LRtagger
06-14-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.trojanwire.com/pro%20football%20hall%20of%20fame.jpg

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.trojanwire.com/pro%20football%20hall%20of%20fame.jpg

Are you saying that Orton's next job will be as janitor of The Pro Football Hall of Fame? :confused:

I'm just kidding. :lol:

elsid13
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Are you saying that Orton's next job will be as janitor of The Pro Football Hall of Fame? :confused:

I'm just kidding. :lol:

Orton would just trip over the statue of Mean Joe Green and hurt himself. Then the HOF would have to pay workman's comp.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Orton would just trip over the statue of Mean Joe Green and hurt himself. Then the HOF would have to pay workman's comp.

I don't know if he would trip over Mean Joe Green's bust, but Socal would probably he would fold like a wet paper towel. :behindsofa:

topscribe
06-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Orton's style of play is a hindrance to coming from behind.

You're right. He really showed that against NE and Dallas, didn't he?

-----

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
You're right. He really showed that against NE and Dallas, didn't he?

-----

Yep, against, Pittsburgh, San Diego, K.C., Philadelphia, just to name a few. :coffee:

topscribe
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Yep, against, Pittsburgh, San Diego, K.C., Philadelphia, just to name a few. :coffee:

Yup. He was out there allllllll by his little lonesome, wasn't he? He missed all
those tackles and blocks. Shameful . . . :tsk:

-----

Northman
06-14-2010, 05:05 PM

Certainly a case where the stats dont tell the entire story. :lol:

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Certainly a case where the stats dont tell the entire story. :lol:

Sometimes you have nothing else but the stats but in and of themselves they never tell the entire story.

hamrob
06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Yup. He was out there allllllll by his little lonesome, wasn't he? He missed all

-----Look, Orton isn't terrible...he's a solid 6.5/7.0 on a 10pt scale. He's average. His strong suit is that he doesn't turn the ball over much. His weakness is, he doesn't make a lot of big plays. He is what he is.

I don't like Orton...simply because I want more from the most important position on the football field, than what he can provide.

Those folks who try to make a point that Orton is more than he is...are spitting in the wind. All you have to do is watch the guy play...there's not alot to get excited about...and most folks who follow the NFL...get that.

TXBRONC
06-14-2010, 09:42 PM

-----

Who said that? He didn't play well in those games? I'm sorry that's so problematic for you. :coffee:

topscribe
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Look, Orton isn't terrible...he's a solid 6.5/7.0 on a 10pt scale. He's average. His strong suit is that he doesn't turn the ball over much. His weakness is, he doesn't make a lot of big plays. He is what he is.

I don't like Orton...simply because I want more from the most important position on the football field, than what he can provide.

Those folks who try to make a point that Orton is more than he is...are spitting in the wind. All you have to do is watch the guy play...there's not alot to get excited about...and most folks who follow the NFL...get that.

You people keep using the term "average." Can I get some numbers to
demonstrate this "average" that he is? I'm not saying Orton is or is not "average."
I would just like to see where he really is, rather than this nebulous "average"
jacket you have him wearing.

And please stop implying that I am making him "more than he is." Pay attention
to my posts. If you are paying attention, then please try to raise the level
of your comprehension. I said nothing whatsoever that would make him "more
than he is." Stick to the issue, please, and answer my posts as they are, or
don't answer them.

-----

topscribe
06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Who said that? He didn't play well in those games? I'm sorry that's so problematic for you. :coffee:

Just have to turn personal, don't you, Tx Bronc? Figures. :coffee:

-----

TXBRONC
06-15-2010, 12:45 AM
You people keep using the term "average." Can I get some numbers to
demonstrate this "average" that he is? I'm not saying Orton is or is not "average."
I would just like to see where he really is, rather than this nebulous "average"
jacket you have him wearing.

And please stop implying that I am making him "more than he is." Pay attention
to my posts. If you are paying attention, then please try to raise the level
of your comprehension. I said nothing whatsoever that would make him "more
than he is." Stick to the issue, please, and answer my posts as they are, or
don't answer them.

-----

Average = journeyman for most people. :listen:

TXBRONC
06-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Just have to turn personal, don't you, Tx Bronc? Figures. :coffee:

-----

Would you like a mirror?

topscribe
06-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Would you like mirror?

Is that supposed to be a sentence? :lol:

-----

TXBRONC
06-15-2010, 12:59 AM
No but this is:

Would you like a mirror? ;)

LoyalSoldier
06-15-2010, 02:48 AM

-----

Well for the Pitts game you could pretty well blame it on him because the defense held up for most of the game while he was throwing Ints.

He wasn't turnover prone, but there were only a couple of games where he really shined. I think if we had a QB that was halfway between Orton and Cutler we would be in great shape.

T.K.O.
06-15-2010, 08:51 AM
I think if we had a QB that was halfway between Orton and Cutler we would be in great shape.

halfway between denver and chicago........hmmmmm:confused:
that would be around......Kansas city:confused:
MATT CASSEL !:shocked:
:laugh:

topscribe
06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Well for the Pitts game you could pretty well blame it on him because the defense held up for most of the game while he was throwing Ints.

He wasn't turnover prone, but there were only a couple of games where he really shined. I think if we had a QB that was halfway between Orton and Cutler we would be in great shape.

I don't suppose you mean divide the difference in INTs in half and give them to Orton . . .

-----

TXBRONC
06-15-2010, 01:42 PM

I agree the Pittsburgh game is a prime example what happens when we would eventually fall behind and the offense couldn't stay on the field.

Bosco
06-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Not that I'm absolving Orton of blame, but Pittsburgh was absolutely man handling Ben Hamilton and Tyler Polumbus in that game.

topscribe
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Not that I'm absolving Orton of blame, but Pittsburgh was absolutely man handling Ben Hamilton and Tyler Polumbus in that game.

Orton had a bad game against Pittsburgh. Pure and simple.

He wasn't the only one, of course, but he did have a bad game . . .

-----