PDA

View Full Version : Same Old Elvis

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2010, 08:19 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10176

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Elvis Dumervil smiled, laughed and joked with teammates as he went through drills on the opening day of Broncos' mandatory minicamp Friday. It was business as usual for a player who has established himself as one of the team's most fun-loving players, not to mention one of the league's fiercest pass rushers.

"I'm feeling good," Dumervil said after exiting the Dove Valley practice field. "It's good to come out and just watch the guys and support my teammates and just be a part of the team."

With the uncertainty across the league caused by the final year of the collective bargaining agreement, some restricted free agents have stayed away from June workouts until their contracts are finalized. Dumervil, who has yet to sign his tender as a restricted free agent, said he participated in the first day of the three-day camp because he loves playing the game.

Dumervil spent the start of the offseason training at home in Miami. He has relished the opportunity to work with the team's new additions and begin learning new defensive coordinator Don Martindale's system since joining the team for OTAs in May.

Even with questions about his contract, the reigning NFL sack leader said he continues to work hard to show his teammates how much he cares about the team.

His teammates received Dumervil's message loud and clear.

"I think it says a lot about him just being here," Champ Bailey said. "When he's actually under contract, I know he wants to know the system. He wants to know his teammates, and it feels good to me as a guy that's been around for a while to have a guy that's young like that take that approach."

Dumervil said he wouldn't want his absence to be a distraction. After four productive seasons in which he's totaled 43 career sacks, he's comfortable with the team and confident that his value on the field speaks for itself. The linebacker coming off his first Pro Bowl season pledged to remain positive.

"It is what it is," Dumervil said. "I'm not the guy to complain or be disappointed."

Head Coach Josh McDaniels said he hopes to continue moving forward to sign the former fourth-round pick to a contract extension. Until then, McDaniels said the team will continue negotiations in accordance with standard procedures outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.

"There's no negative to him at all," McDaniels said. "We're going to try to do the best we can to make sure he's here as long as we can keep him."

Bailey noted Dumervil's commitment to professionalism since entering the league in 2006. By being on the field Friday, Dumervil again demonstrated why he is one of the high-skill, high-character players that McDaniels covets.

That's why the 12th-year cornerback is confident that Dumervil will continue to add to his growing list of accolades as a Bronco.

"You want guys that you know what to expect from them -- guys that really appreciate what they have in front of them and are going to give all they've got to be the best that they can be," Bailey said. "That goes back to talking about Elvis. He's that guy."

Lonestar
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
i feel a love fest about to start.

dogfish
06-11-2010, 09:14 PM
i feel a love fest about to start.

is it bad that broncos fans like their team's good players?

especially when they also happen to be quality people?

maybe we should start another bash thread instead-- so much more productive. . .

i guess it's cool to hump the coach's leg even though he hasn't won anything here, but don't show the players any love. . .

Lonestar
06-11-2010, 09:26 PM

maybe we should start another bash thread instead-- so much more productive. . .

i guess it's cool to hump the coach's leg even though he hasn't won anything here, but don't show the players any love. . .

Just because I like what the new guy has done JUST like I liked mikey when he first came on board.

I just discovered earlier than most that he was not all there was in the HC mode.

But lets not turn this into a Josh verses mikey thing.

I like Doom as much if not more than some do.

Just do not see selling the farm to sign him.

Northman
06-11-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10176

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It was business as usual for a player who has established himself as one of the team's most fun-loving players, not to mention one of the league's fiercest pass rushers.

"It's good to come out and just watch the guys and support my teammates and just be a part of the team."

With the uncertainty across the league caused by the final year of the collective bargaining agreement, some restricted free agents have stayed away from June workouts until their contracts are finalized. Dumervil, who has yet to sign his tender as a restricted free agent, said he participated in the first day of the three-day camp because he loves playing the game.

Even with questions about his contract, the reigning NFL sack leader said he continues to work hard to show his teammates how much he cares about the team.

Dumervil said he wouldn't want his absence to be a distraction. After four productive seasons in which he's totaled 43 career sacks, he's comfortable with the team and confident that his value on the field speaks for itself. The linebacker coming off his first Pro Bowl season pledged to remain positive.

Doom is the man, simply put. The Denver brass would be morons to let him go.

"There's no negative to him at all," McDaniels said. "We're going to try to do the best we can to make sure he's here as long as we can keep him."

Then do the right thing and pay the man what he wants.

Tned
06-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Didn't you get the memo? It's only ok to attack and disparage Broncos players, not to praise or like them.

pnbronco
06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Doom is really one of the good guys.......:salute:

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Yes it's despicable when you as fan of the Broncos like a hard working player that's also a good person and is everything that coach McDaniels says he wants in his players. When you do that you're not following the New England model. :tsk:

Day1BroncoFan
06-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Dooooom!!!!

Ravage!!!
06-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I heard that EXACT same quote when he talked about Hillis.

frauschieze
06-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Just because I like what the new guy has done JUST like I liked mikey when he first came on board.

I just discovered earlier than most that he was not all there was in the HC mode.

But lets not turn this into a Josh verses mikey thing.

I like Doom as much if not more than some do.

Just do not see selling the farm to sign him.

Once again, you're the only one talking about Shanahan.

NightTrainLayne
06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Dumerville hasn't been slighted yet. If they don't get something worked out and he has to sign his tender, then thre's reason to criticize, but until that deadline is passed, I can't criticize the team for negotiating in their interests, just as Dumerville is no doubt negotiating in his interests.

Tned
06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Dumerville hasn't been slighted yet. If they don't get something worked out and he has to sign his tender, then thre's reason to criticize, but until that deadline is passed, I can't criticize the team for negotiating in their interests, just as Dumerville is no doubt negotiating in his interests.

Exactly. That's the crazy part of fans drawing lines in the sand and demonizing McDaniels, or tearing Dumervil down as a scrub, one hit wonder or greedy player.

It's hard to imagine a team and player handling a negotiation much better than what we've seen.

McDaniels has publicly stated multiple times that Dumervil deserves a new contract and that the Broncos want to sign him to a long term deal. Dumervil, while not under contract, is still attending off season workouts, rather than holding out as players normally do in his situation.

pnbronco
06-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Exactly. That's the crazy part of fans drawing lines in the sand and demonizing McDaniels, or tearing Dumervil down as a scrub, one hit wonder or greedy player.

It's hard to imagine a team and player handling a negotiation much better than what we've seen.

McDaniels has publicly stated multiple times that Dumervil deserves a new contract and that the Broncos want to sign him to a long term deal. Dumervil, while not under contract, is still attending off season workouts, rather than holding out as players normally do in his situation.

I so agree. Everything I have heard said so far has told me that everyone is doing the job they are paid to do.

I really hope they get Elvis signed by the date, he is such a class act. On the Broncos Web Site when they asked why he wasn't holding out his statement was: "I wouldn't do that to my teammates". That is the real Elvis, not a sound bite to try to sway the public, he's one of the really good guys and I want him as a Bronco for a long time.

Northman
06-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Unfortuantely, history so far does not favor McD in terms of paying a player which is why fans are concerned about losing Doom.

Broncolingus
06-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Dumerville hasn't been slighted yet.

...you hit the nail on the head, bud.

dogfish
06-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Unfortuantely, history so far does not favor McD in terms of paying a player which is why fans are concerned about losing Doom.

yep. . . i won't consider it well-handled by the team until he's signed. . .

dogfish
06-12-2010, 03:35 PM

the ONNNLY one. . .

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
the ONNNLY one. . .

Yep. :sad:

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Granted, he hasn't been slighted yet. But I'm still uneasy about the situation.

Tned
06-12-2010, 09:21 PM

the ONNNLY one. . .

I just checked and Vegas has the over/under on how many times Jr mentions "Mikey" tomorrow at 13. I think I'm going to put a hundred down on the over.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I just checked and Vegas has the over/under on how many times Jr mentions "Mikey" tomorrow at 13. I think I'm going to put a hundred down on the over.

How do you go about placing a bet because I would like to get in on that action? :D