PDA

View Full Version : All Things Automobiles

SR
09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
If you're a car person, post here. Post pictures, videos, whatever. No specific guidlines, other than no domestic vs import arguements. We all already know that there is no replacement for displacement. :laugh:

rcsodak
09-12-2007, 06:36 PM
*sniff*

Sorry, but.......auto talk makes me think of/miss -HW-.......

*sniff*

anton...
09-12-2007, 07:38 PM
vroooom vroooooom!!

anton likes the cars!!

:driver:
________
Web shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

shank
09-13-2007, 02:19 AM
sssssscccccccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrch!!!!!! thwackslampowblooey!

one time, i heard a crash that sounded just like that, no joke.

my car is a truck.

anton...
09-13-2007, 02:30 AM
my car is a motorbike...

:marchmellow:
________
NINFOMANA (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/ninfomana/)

admin
09-13-2007, 07:42 AM
*sniff*

Sorry, but.......auto talk makes me think of/miss -HW-.......

*sniff*

Again, undeleted, and again, please don't spam the forums with this.

thx

T

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2007, 02:57 PM
So can I ask car questions or problems in this thread?

:beer:

SR
09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
So can I ask car questions or problems in this thread?

:beer:

You sure can. I'll do my best to help you as much as I can.

SR
09-24-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that Corvettes are an engineering marvel. I had the pleasure of riding in one last week and will say that it beats the potatoes out of any stock Mustang I've ever driven or ridden in. Yay for Corvettes!

Kapaibro
09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
I am going to be getting a car soon!!!!!!!!!!

Yayyyyyy for mobility!

SR
09-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I am going to be getting a car soon!!!!!!!!!!

Yayyyyyy for mobility!

Don't get a Smart Car!

Speaking of which, I saw quite a few of those in Phoenix last week. No friggin way, not in this country with all of it's big SUVs and lifted trucks everywhere.

Kapaibro
09-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Don't get a Smart Car!

Speaking of which, I saw quite a few of those in Phoenix last week. No friggin way, not in this country with all of it's big SUVs and lifted trucks everywhere.

They have heaps of them here.

SR
09-25-2007, 02:16 PM
They have heaps of them here.

I know it. A few years back I had a layover in Frankfurt and I remember when we were taking the bus to the main terminal there was an entire parking lot full of those things.

There, in western Europe, you can get away with driving something that small because on average the cars are smaller. Here, when every soccer mom out there drives a Suburban or Escalade and all of the college boys are driving lifted trucks, it makes driving something like that (or even a Miata) dangerous. No thanks.

So what are you getting Kap?!

Kapaibro
09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I know it. A few years back I had a layover in Frankfurt and I remember when we were taking the bus to the main terminal there was an entire parking lot full of those things.

There, in western Europe, you can get away with driving something that small because on average the cars are smaller. Here, when every soccer mom out there drives a Suburban or Escalade and all of the college boys are driving lifted trucks, it makes driving something like that (or even a Miata) dangerous. No thanks.

So what are you getting Kap?!

I had a 97 Punto in Ireland. I loved it.

I'm thinking of going back to one, but a newer model.

SR
09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
I had a 97 Punto in Ireland. I loved it.

I'm thinking of going back to one, but a newer model.

Get an old Mercedes C-class diesel...inexpensive to maintain (there) and VERY reliable.

Kapaibro
09-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Get an old Mercedes C-class diesel...inexpensive to maintain (there) and VERY reliable.

Did I mention tiny one way streets?

SR
09-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Did I mention tiny one way streets?

Then get a Vespa

Kapaibro
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Then get a Vespa

Screw that for a joke.

Seriously, riding a bike is like an extreme sport here. I'm thinking of developing a video game!

Retired_Member_001
10-12-2007, 04:55 AM
From the thread I created which I now deleted.

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/video_mercedes_benz_mclaren_722_edition.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2007/mercedes.benz.slr.mcLaren/07.mb.slr.mclaren.722.340.jpg

Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren 722 GTR edition.

650 bhp of German power, phenomenal braking and extreme acceleration. It's the best car in it's class in my opinion. It's a Super car but not a hyper car, it wont contend with the Koeningegoesingeooesseing CXX and the Ferrari Enzo, but it's still a super car.

y2cragie
11-09-2007, 05:06 PM
My sort of thread.
Wookie, I suggest you check out the new convertable SLR, I dont usually like Mercs, but in black the car is absolutly stunning.
Right now I am thinking of dropping my beemer for a mazda 6, while the Mazda doesn't even come close to the beemer in terms of driving experience, I am just rather sick of the expense of the the Beemer.

Jody
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
My 'dream' car is perhaps not as elaborate as all of yours.

I want to use it in snow, mud on the county roads, and just overall driving.

I want me a jeep...I think. :confused:

Something that has clearance, but I will not have to push it out of a drift or the mud. Something reliable!

http://www.hydrotoys.com/jeep/DSC02974.jpg

Better options?

y2cragie
11-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Better options? A good old fashioned British army landrover defender, those things ex military can be picked up cheap and there is very little that will stop em.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlrk/392301075/

If you want something a little more modern/family orientated, a rangerover is one of if not the best offroading vehicles you can get.

Jody
11-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Better options? A good old fashioned British army landrover defender, those things ex military can be picked up cheap and there is very little that will stop em.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlrk/392301075/

If you want something a little more modern/family orientated, a rangerover is one of if not the best offroading vehicles you can get.

Y2....that photo is just a 'little' worrisome. Isn't it stuck? :D

How is the 'ride'?

y2cragie
11-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Nope I dont believe it is, just making its way out.;)
Ride isn't too bad, but not something you'd buy for comfort, it is designed entirely for offroading and as such some sacrifices need to be made.
Thats why I'd say if you want a family car the rangerover is best, but I believe they carry a rather heavy price in the US?

SR
11-10-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm selling my '92 Mustang when I get home in Feb. I'm either going to buy one of two things, a 2008 Tacoma (4x4, four-door) or an '03/'04 Mustang Cobra. The Cobra can get 26-28 MPG on the highway (six-speed Tremec T-56 transmission), but part of the reason I want to get rid of my Mustang now is because I'm tired of the temptation to buy more parts. I think a Truck would be more practical for me. I love the looks of the Tacomas and they drive really nice, so we'll see.

Day1BroncoFan
11-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm selling my '92 Mustang when I get home in Feb. I'm either going to buy one of two things, a 2008 Tacoma (4x4, four-door) or an '03/'04 Mustang Cobra. The Cobra can get 26-28 MPG on the highway (six-speed Tremec T-56 transmission), but part of the reason I want to get rid of my Mustang now is because I'm tired of the temptation to buy more parts. I think a Truck would be more practical for me. I love the looks of the Tacomas and they drive really nice, so we'll see.

If you buy a 4x4 the first thing you do is start the mods. Buying new parts for it is almost required. :elefant:

EDIT:

It usually starts with tires/wheels. After those you need a new performance chip, cold air intake and catback.

Jody
11-11-2007, 09:44 AM

The trucks today are outstanding drives I think!

There is tight cornering, lots of finger-tip control at the steering wheel, and smooth rides.

The 'worst' vehicle I've 'ever' owned for ride was the Ford Explorer Sport. I felt like a piece of popcorn inside.

I don't think you'd be sorry with a truck, SR, we have owned about 7 of them, and enjoyed each and everyone of them. The mileage was not any worse than the Ford Taurus. However, would you ever consider the Toyota trucks? I'm wondering if they get better gas mileage than the American made. They sure drive and ride nice as well!

Jody
11-11-2007, 09:46 AM
If you buy a 4x4 the first thing you do is start the mods. Buying new parts for it is almost required. :elefant:

EDIT:

It usually starts with tires/wheels. After those you need a new performance chip, cold air intake and catback.

Day1....I have a question, because I am not a mechanic.

What are "mods" you speak of ?

Why cold air intake?

SR
11-11-2007, 10:05 AM

EDIT:

The only reason I want a 4x4 is because I like to go fishing and hunting and may need it to get to some good spots. I couldn't care less about a lift. I have a disease called "Go Fast Syndrome". A catback exhaust, CAI, and "chip" on a truck would be useless and I know that.

When I talk about mods, I'm talking like, build a new, bigger, better, much faster engine mod. It's what I do to every single Mustang I own (except the Mach1 I had until last March).

The point behind buying a truck like a Tacoma and not a truck like an SRT10 or a Lightning is that you can't make that truck fast and I won't waste my money trying.

SR
11-11-2007, 10:08 AM

Why cold air intake?

The theory behind a cold air intake is really basic. It moves a less restrictive air filter in to your fenderwell to draw in cooler, more dense air. It uses larger diameter tubing to deliver more air in to your engine. In reality, the air isn't any cooler than a normal induction system, it's just more air. You might get a mile per gallon better gas mileage, but in terms of performance, you won't see much.

SR
11-11-2007, 10:11 AM
The trucks today are outstanding drives I think!

There is tight cornering, lots of finger-tip control at the steering wheel, and smooth rides.

The 'worst' vehicle I've 'ever' owned for ride was the Ford Explorer Sport. I felt like a piece of popcorn inside.

I don't think you'd be sorry with a truck, SR, we have owned about 7 of them, and enjoyed each and everyone of them. The mileage was not any worse than the Ford Taurus. However, would you ever consider the Toyota trucks? I'm wondering if they get better gas mileage than the American made. They sure drive and ride nice as well!

I said I was looking at Tacomas...they're made by Toyota...made in America, not gas guzzlers. ;):D

Nomad
11-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I said I was looking at Tacomas...they're made by Toyota...made in America, not gas guzzlers. ;):D

You're correct! I'm union so the other day I received an automobile list from the International office stating which vehicles are "approved" to drive and the Tacoma was one that is built in America by union hands. My Chevy Silverado is built in Canada and the US. Tacomas are really nice and for you SR, you better get the 4-dr package with kids and all! I had a Tundra before my Silverado and they are nice. I really like Toyota but wanted a Chevy!

SR
11-11-2007, 11:05 AM
You're correct! I'm union so the other day I received an automobile list from the International office stating which vehicles are "approved" to drive and the Tacoma was one that is built in America by union hands. My Chevy Silverado is built in Canada and the US. Tacomas are really nice and for you SR, you better get the 4-dr package with kids and all! I had a Tundra before my Silverado and they are nice. I really like Toyota but wanted a Chevy!

I'm not a big Chebby fan and I have no use for a big truck like a Silverado since about the only things I'll be towing are MAYBE some deer feeders, maybe a small bass boat, and maybe a car. A Tacoma would be fine for that over short distances.

Nomad
11-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm not a big Chebby fan and I have no use for a big truck like a Silverado since about the only things I'll be towing are MAYBE some deer feeders, maybe a small bass boat, and maybe a car. A Tacoma would be fine for that over short distances.

Main reason I got the Chevy (4 dr)was for the cab room with 3 kids compared to the Tundra! But if I had a small family or I was single Tacoma would be the first truck I'd buy! Good choice and you won't be disappointed!

Day1BroncoFan
11-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Why cold air intake?

Mods can be anything you do to a vehicle to "modify" it. Any change to the vehicle is considered a mod whether it's for performance or appearance.

Cold air intake in theory draws cold air from outside the engine compartment which is denser air than the warm air normally drawn into the engine. I don't know if this actually helps or not though. There is a lot of information either way, some say it does some say it doesn't.

I don't mod my vehicle for performance. I did put a headliner console in it myself with a thermometer and a compass. I like the thermometer, the compass I could live without. I have to admit I was a little nervous cutting the headliner on a new vehicle.

y2cragie
11-11-2007, 11:37 AM
The theory behind a cold air intake is really basic. It moves a less restrictive air filter in to your fenderwell to draw in cooler, more dense air. It uses larger diameter tubing to deliver more air in to your engine. In reality, the air isn't any cooler than a normal induction system, it's just more air. You might get a mile per gallon better gas mileage, but in terms of performance, you won't see much.

I cant tell you how many boy racers have driven up alongside my beemer in some kitted up pile of junk thats cost them 10 times more than the cost of the car to kit out, only to outrace them without even trying, too many people go into these car shops with no idea what any of these things actually do thinking they will have ferrari speed with a few mods. When your being beaten to 60 by a bit of pig iron with barely 140hp you know you've wasted your money.:rolleyes:
Now if someone pulls up next to me in a subaru impreza wrx or Lancer evo, then quite frankley i'm looking straight ahead and not even bothering to try to out race it.:laugh:

SR
11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Mods can be anything you do to a vehicle to "modify" it. Any change to the vehicle is considered a mod whether it's for performance or appearance.

Cold air intake in theory draws cold air from outside the engine compartment which is denser air than the warm air normally drawn into the engine. I don't know if this actually helps or not though. There is a lot of information either way, some say it does some say it doesn't.

I don't mod my vehicle for performance. I did put a headliner console in it myself with a thermometer and a compass. I like the thermometer, the compass I could live without. I have to admit I was a little nervous cutting the headliner on a new vehicle.

Don't be nervous! You did it, so have confidence.

Day1BroncoFan
11-11-2007, 11:43 AM
The only reason I want a 4x4 is because I like to go fishing and hunting and may need it to get to some good spots. I couldn't care less about a lift. I have a disease called "Go Fast Syndrome". A catback exhaust, CAI, and "chip" on a truck would be useless and I know that.

When I talk about mods, I'm talking like, build a new, bigger, better, much faster engine mod. It's what I do to every single Mustang I own (except the Mach1 I had until last March).

The point behind buying a truck like a Tacoma and not a truck like an SRT10 or a Lightning is that you can't make that truck fast and I won't waste my money trying.

I didn't say anything about a lift. If you want go faster, you start with catback, cold air intake, chip and go on from there.

A mod can be anything. Try out a super chager kit, that should do it for you without having to do to much to the engine. Of course it's always better to beef up the enging to handle the extra pressures a blower can put on an engine.

You can always make something go faster, whether or not it's a waste of money is up to the individual.

Nother better than to have a 4x4 Tacoma beat a Mustang.

y2cragie
11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I didn't say anything about a lift. If you want go faster, you start with catback, cold air intake, chip and go on from there.

A mod can be anything. Try out a super chager kit, that should do it for you without having to do to much to the engine. Of course it's always better to beef up the enging to handle the extra pressures a blower can put on an engine.

You can always make something go faster, whether or not it's a waste of money is up to the individual.

The big problem I have with the theory "fast in a straight line is good" is usually the car then couldn't go round a corner to save its life. I once drove a mustang that was like that, great fun in a straight line but then when it came to cornering, it was just to slow round them to be any fun.
I've never understood how people have so much fun going fast in a straight line, to me the real excitement and true testament to a driver, comes in the corners.

SR
11-11-2007, 12:07 PM

I'd like to see any Tacoma, 2x4 or 4x4 try to hang with some of the Mustangs I've built.

I'm not going to put a supercharger on a truck when it only puts out 6 PSI. It's not worth the $3-5 grand that it would cost.

And, not to make myself sound like an ass, but you don't exactly need to tell me what I need to mod to make a car fast. I've been building engines for the past 10 years. I know what it takes. ;)

SR
11-11-2007, 12:10 PM
The big problem I have with the theory "fast in a straight line is good" is usually the car then couldn't go round a corner to save its life. I once drove a mustang that was like that, great fun in a straight line but then when it came to cornering, it was just to slow round them to be any fun.
I've never understood how people have so much fun going fast in a straight line, to me the real excitement and true testament to a driver, comes in the corners.

I'm more of a straight-line guy myself, but you are right, there's nothing quite like getting in a car that is good around the corners.

My friend Doug used to have a Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII. He had the suspension so f-ing tight in that car it was ridiculous. We'd take it out to MSR (MotorSport Ranch) near Dallas, TX. Talk about being glued to your seat.

Jody
11-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm more of a straight-line guy myself, but you are right, there's nothing quite like getting in a car that is good around the corners.

My friend Doug used to have a Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII. He had the suspension so f-ing tight in that car it was ridiculous. We'd take it out to MSR (MotorSport Ranch) near Dallas, TX. Talk about being glued to your seat.

Glued to your seat! *laugh*

I don't mind a little 'exciting' ride, but only with a driver with a very good track record.

One time, years ago, I was riding with my brother down the interstate to Kansas City from Omaha. He was going about 95-100 mph (it was 55mph at the time). He noticed a state trooper sitting atop the bridge. We went under that bridge at 95 and out on the other side at 55.

I asked him to exit on the next rest area. I was a little speechless.

Day1BroncoFan
11-12-2007, 01:45 AM
I'd like to see any Tacoma, 2x4 or 4x4 try to hang with some of the Mustangs I've built.

I'm not going to put a supercharger on a truck when it only puts out 6 PSI. It's not worth the $3-5 grand that it would cost.

And, not to make myself sound like an ass, but you don't exactly need to tell me what I need to mod to make a car fast. I've been building engines for the past 10 years. I know what it takes. ;)

Maybe you build the Mustangs better than some others do. Maybe I was talking about beating a Mustang that is stock. I don't believe I said one way or the other.

With the right stuff you can do better than 6 psi of boost for your three grand.

I'm just enjoying the conversation.

Like I said some will spend the money, some won't. It's an individual thing. I don't mod for speed. I don't see any sense in it either. Back in the day I did it but now it's too much trouble with all the smog garbage in the way. I'm not trying to tell you how to make a car fast.

SR
11-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Maybe you build the Mustangs better than some others do. Maybe I was talking about beating a Mustang that is stock. I don't believe I said one way or the other.

With the right stuff you can do better than 6 psi of boost for your three grand.

I'm just enjoying the conversation.

Like I said some will spend the money, some won't. It's an individual thing. I don't mod for speed. I don't see any sense in it either. Back in the day I did it but now it's too much trouble with all the smog garbage in the way. I'm not trying to tell you how to make a car fast.

Building cars is an expensive addiction that I don't really care to be involved with anymore, hence my wanting to purchase a truck. Now, if I went the other way and bought an '03/'04 Cobra, you can bet your bottom dollar that that little Eaton M112 blower that's on there stock would be getting replaced with a Whipple or Kenne Bell, but then again, I'd be looking at a 600 RWHP street car, and that's not what I'm in to anymore.

On the Tacomas, the compression ratio from the factory isn't safe to run more than 6-8lbs. If you run any more than that on more than a 9:1 compression ratio, you're looking for trouble. To lower the compression to where it's safe would mean swapping out pistons, which would mean pulling the engine out and tearing in to it, which I'm not about to do on a brand new vehicle, period.

Regarding smog equipment, my car now has none of it. I took it all out. I bought a relocation bracket setup from Jeg's. I got rid of the AC (and all associated wiring) compressor, moved the power steering pump up to where the AC compressor was, and ditched the smog pump. Since the car is still fuel injected, I kept the EGR valve, but I'm not running the tubes to the back of the cylinder heads, so I plugged those up. The car is nowhere near emissions legal, but where I live in TX we don't have sniffer tests, just safety inspections.

Day1BroncoFan
11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Building cars is an expensive addiction that I don't really care to be involved with anymore, hence my wanting to purchase a truck. Now, if I went the other way and bought an '03/'04 Cobra, you can bet your bottom dollar that that little Eaton M112 blower that's on there stock would be getting replaced with a Whipple or Kenne Bell, but then again, I'd be looking at a 600 RWHP street car, and that's not what I'm in to anymore.

On the Tacomas, the compression ratio from the factory isn't safe to run more than 6-8lbs. If you run any more than that on more than a 9:1 compression ratio, you're looking for trouble. To lower the compression to where it's safe would mean swapping out pistons, which would mean pulling the engine out and tearing in to it, which I'm not about to do on a brand new vehicle, period.

Regarding smog equipment, my car now has none of it. I took it all out. I bought a relocation bracket setup from Jeg's. I got rid of the AC (and all associated wiring) compressor, moved the power steering pump up to where the AC compressor was, and ditched the smog pump. Since the car is still fuel injected, I kept the EGR valve, but I'm not running the tubes to the back of the cylinder heads, so I plugged those up. The car is nowhere near emissions legal, but where I live in TX we don't have sniffer tests, just safety inspections.

Your car sounds sweet. I didn't know that about the Tacos and the compression. I guess I learn something every day. Hope you're not in California with all the smog stuff removed. We have check stations they surprize you with once in a while.

I remember when I first started on the cars stuff there were no smog things. All they had in those days was a tube coming out of the back of the intake dumping out near the bottom of the bell housing. Blow by tube are a thing of the past.

Nomad
02-13-2008, 08:40 PM
BEWARE!!!! People are going around stealing the catalyc(sp) converters off vehicles because the price of that metal is skyrocketing. I find this crap really sad and if they'd start chopping fingers off people who steal they would think twice about stealing work people work hard for to own. Anyway didn't know how to provide the link but saw the story on MSN if interested.

SR
02-14-2008, 06:38 AM
My car doesn't have catalytic converters, so I guesss I'm safe from the theives!

Day1BroncoFan
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
SR what kind of car do you have?

SR
02-14-2008, 10:22 AM
1992 Mustang

Nomad
02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
My car doesn't have catalytic converters, so I guesss I'm safe from the theives!

I didn't know what a catalytic converter was until I read the article. But it said mainly SUVs, trucks, vans.:noidea:

My father-in-law has a 1988 Mustang and a 2004 Corvette and I hate speed so i don't ride with him:D. But in another article I read and the restrictions of fuel, it sounds like these types of muscle cars are going to be phased out.

Day1BroncoFan
02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
1992 Mustang

You don't have cats on this? How do you get away with that?

Broncogator
02-14-2008, 06:10 PM
1992 Mustang

I love the old 5 liter stangs, I had a 89 with "off road" exhaust. I guess you can't buy that kinda thing from Ford Motorsports like you used to.

SR
02-15-2008, 04:58 AM
I didn't know what a catalytic converter was until I read the article. But it said mainly SUVs, trucks, vans.:noidea:

My father-in-law has a 1988 Mustang and a 2004 Corvette and I hate speed so i don't ride with him:D. But in another article I read and the restrictions of fuel, it sounds like these types of muscle cars are going to be phased out.

AZ Snake has a beautiful '99 Vette and I got the pleasure of riding in that car when I went home last September. It's immaculate. He still jokes with me that it drives better after I got my hands on it. :D

SR
02-15-2008, 05:00 AM
You don't have cats on this? How do you get away with that?

They don't do sniffer tests in the town I live in. My car WOULD NOT pass emissions anywhere, so if I ever move to a state that does have smog tests I'll either have to figure out a way to keep my vehicle registered in TX (state of residence...no state tax) or sell it. There's no way I'd put all of the emissions stuff back on that car. It would cost too much because I'd have to re-do my whole exhaust, buy a smog pump, find all of the tubing that runs from the smog pump to the back of the cylinder heads where the air is reintroduced to the combustion cycle, etc. It would be too big of a pain in the ass to keep the car.

SR
02-15-2008, 05:02 AM
I love the old 5 liter stangs, I had a 89 with "off road" exhaust. I guess you can't buy that kinda thing from Ford Motorsports like you used to.

There are so many other aftermarket vendors for that kind of stuff that FMS/FRPP has become obscelete. They still make some good products, but nothing like SLP, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla, Bassani, etc.

With that being said, I still only buy Motorsport oil filters (part # FL1A) and Motorsport copper spark plugs. :D

Benetto
02-15-2008, 05:25 AM
My current car is a 3000GT VR4, with 415 HP to all four wheels. I have custom headers connected to a custom downpipe, and a Magnaflow cat back system with 3" pipes. All powered by two 25 max PSI hennesey Turbos (using only 10-15 PSI)..Lowered 1.5" in the front, and 1" in the back. Struts, port & polished exhaust manifold...Let's see what else...A upgraded fuel pump, performance chip by Venom, Cold air intake. I think that's about it..

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/Benetto00/TT3KGT1.jpg

SR
02-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Why would your P&P your header?

FWIW, I've never been a big fan of twins on small engines. You would be better off with a GT42R and a small shot of nitrous to get past the lag.

Benetto
02-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Any day now, I should be getting one of these bad boys...
http://www.chryslerweblog.com/images/uploads/charger_gallery_03.jpg

And making the 3KGT my show car for my shop

Benetto
02-15-2008, 05:33 AM

FWIW, I've never been a big fan of twins on small engines. You would be better off with a GT42R and a small shot of nitrous to get past the lag.

Aren't the GT42R's like 2500 a pop?

Benetto
02-15-2008, 05:34 AM

Do you know how hot the manifold gets on a VR4? you can BBQ hotdogs on it after 20 minutes of hardcore driving. Seriously.

SR
02-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Do you know how hot the manifold gets on a VR4? you can BBQ hotdogs on it after 20 minutes of hardcore driving. Seriously.

If it's getting that hot that fast, it's running lean. I've got a good amount of experience with DSM cars, so I'm pretty familiar with most of the Mitsu engines like the ones in the VR4, Evo, Eclipse GSX/GST, etc.

Benetto
02-15-2008, 05:43 AM
If it's getting that hot that fast, it's running lean. I've got a good amount of experience with DSM cars, so I'm pretty familiar with most of the Mitsu engines like the ones in the VR4, Evo, Eclipse GSX/GST, etc.
It is getting that hot, especially during Summer.

I'm not that worried though...I'm in the market for a new Charger SRT8...I want the raw power instead of forced induction...I have been shopping around the past 2 weeks.

SR
02-15-2008, 06:09 AM
It is getting that hot, especially during Summer.

I'm not that worried though...I'm in the market for a new Charger SRT8...I want the raw power instead of forced induction...I have been shopping around the past 2 weeks.

Don't waste your money on the Charger SRT8. They're tanks. That's just my opinion though. There isn't a Dodge on the market right now that I would buy aside from the SRT10 Ram standard cab or a Viper. Once the Challengers come out though...holy buckets.

SR
02-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Aren't the GT42R's like 2500 a pop?

Not at all. It's just a head unit. It's not even that big of a turbo, but depending on how the engine is built, a small engine car with a long stroke (slow revving) will leave some turbo lag. A buddy of mine that used to work at a shop in Scottsdale, AZ had an '03 Cobra with twin 76mm turbos, but he was only managing a 1.7xx 60' off the line because of the turbo lag, so he ran a 75 shot of nitrous off the line and cut his 60' down to 1.4xx and is in the 9s on MT drag radials and a six-speed manual.

SR
02-15-2008, 07:54 AM
And making the 3KGT my show car for my shop

What kind of shop do you work at?

Benetto
02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
What kind of shop do you work at?

I own a car audio/video store.

Benetto
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Don't waste your money on the Charger SRT8. They're tanks. That's just my opinion though. There isn't a Dodge on the market right now that I would buy aside from the SRT10 Ram standard cab or a Viper. Once the Challengers come out though...holy buckets.

Wow...You really think so? They are heavy as hell, but push 425 HP to the rear wheels, stock. I test drove one last Monday and fell in love. Only thing is they don't come in manual transmission, and the shifting is very turbulent. Unless you use the triptronic all the time..

At the end of the day, it hauls major ass though. Any specific reasons you don't reccomend it?

SR
02-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Wow...You really think so? They are heavy as hell, but push 425 HP to the rear wheels, stock. I test drove one last Monday and fell in love. Only thing is they don't come in manual transmission, and the shifting is very turbulent. Unless you use the triptronic all the time..

At the end of the day, it hauls major ass though. Any specific reasons you don't reccomend it?

It's not 425 to the rear wheels, it's 425bhp, which after a 17% drivetrain loss would put you in the high 370s at the wheels.

The main things I don't like about it:

It's not a real "Hemi".
Independent Rear Suspention in high HP cars = bad wheel hop
It's a Dodge

It's wicked in the looks department, but there are other cars on the market I'd rather have for the price. You're the one that has to drive it though, so if you like it, by all means get it. The turbulant shifting is probably a good thing...means its got a tight torque converter and a good valve body in the auto. I'm not exactly sure what tranny is in those cars, but I would imagine at 425hp and probably around 450lb/ft of torque, it's gotta be a pretty gritty tranny.

Since you own a car audio/video shop, I'll be coming to you when I need new speakers and what not. I'm fixing to buy a 2005+ Tacoma when I get home and I'm going to need to replace the 6x9s in the front doors, the tweeters in the front doors, and the 5" door speakers in the rear. I'm also planning on running the speakers off of an amp.

EDIT: I've been searching the net for the Mustang GT500 lately just to see what they are selling for used. It's amazing how much cheaper they are now than when they first came out. When the cars were first released to the dealers for sale, they were about $40k MSRP, but the dealer markup was anywhere between $15-30k. You'd be hard pressed to find a used '07 model that is selling for more than $40k now. People that bought those cars when they first came out and are selling them now are taking a HUGE hit. IMO, I'd rather have a used GT500 with 15k miles for 40k than an SRT8 challenger. The GT500 is a 5.4 (331 cubic inches) liter, DOHC engine will fully forged internals, 8.5:1 compression, and an Eaton blower. On one of the Mustang message boards I'm on, a guy has a GT500 with full exhaust, smaller upper and lower blower pulleys, a JLT intake, and a tune. It put down 540 to the rear wheels through a T56 six speed manual (same tranny that's in the Vipers, SRT10 Rams, 03/04 Cobras). Supposedly he's still getting about 25 MPG on the highway.

Davii
02-16-2008, 06:12 AM
It's not 425 to the rear wheels, it's 425bhp, which after a 17% drivetrain loss would put you in the high 370s at the wheels.

The main things I don't like about it:

It's not a real "Hemi".
Independent Rear Suspention in high HP cars = bad wheel hop
It's a Dodge

It's wicked in the looks department, but there are other cars on the market I'd rather have for the price. You're the one that has to drive it though, so if you like it, by all means get it. The turbulant shifting is probably a good thing...means its got a tight torque converter and a good valve body in the auto. I'm not exactly sure what tranny is in those cars, but I would imagine at 425hp and probably around 450lb/ft of torque, it's gotta be a pretty gritty tranny.

Since you own a car audio/video shop, I'll be coming to you when I need new speakers and what not. I'm fixing to buy a 2005+ Tacoma when I get home and I'm going to need to replace the 6x9s in the front doors, the tweeters in the front doors, and the 5" door speakers in the rear. I'm also planning on running the speakers off of an amp.

EDIT: I've been searching the net for the Mustang GT500 lately just to see what they are selling for used. It's amazing how much cheaper they are now than when they first came out. When the cars were first released to the dealers for sale, they were about $40k MSRP, but the dealer markup was anywhere between $15-30k. You'd be hard pressed to find a used '07 model that is selling for more than $40k now. People that bought those cars when they first came out and are selling them now are taking a HUGE hit. IMO, I'd rather have a used GT500 with 15k miles for 40k than an SRT8 challenger. The GT500 is a 5.4 (331 cubic inches) liter, DOHC engine will fully forged internals, 8.5:1 compression, and an Eaton blower. On one of the Mustang message boards I'm on, a guy has a GT500 with full exhaust, smaller upper and lower blower pulleys, a JLT intake, and a tune. It put down 540 to the rear wheels through a T56 six speed manual (same tranny that's in the Vipers, SRT10 Rams, 03/04 Cobras). Supposedly he's still getting about 25 MPG on the highway.

All that and it's still a Ford. Wouldn't buy it if Ford paid me to.

SR
02-16-2008, 06:26 AM
All that and it's still a Ford. Wouldn't buy it if Ford paid me to.

You're dead to me.

Davii
02-16-2008, 06:33 AM
You're dead to me.

I'm sorry man. My first car was a 1986 Mustang GT, nothing but trouble, and the few years I worked in a speed shop in Muncy, PA did nothing but reinforce to me that Ford makes junk. Sure, they look nice, but they're overpriced crap IMHO.

That being said, the new Mustang is a sharp looking ride with respectable performance, but for my $$ there are much better options.

I'd still be more than happy to turn a wrench on your ride with you, but you'd have to buy the beer.

SR
02-16-2008, 06:46 AM
I've had five Mustangs and never once did any of them leave me stranded. The biggest problem I had was with my '94 Cobra and I blew up the rear end, but it was my own fault. After that, I had a 9" built and never had anymore problems.

My '92 has 115k miles on the ticker and the check engine light never comes on.

That being said, the new '05+ Mustangs are ugly as sin and I wouldn't buy one.

Davii
02-16-2008, 06:50 AM
I've had five Mustangs and never once did any of them leave me stranded. The biggest problem I had was with my '94 Cobra and I blew up the rear end, but it was my own fault. After that, I had a 9" built and never had anymore problems.

My '92 has 115k miles on the ticker and the check engine light never comes on.

That being said, the new '05+ Mustangs are ugly as sin and I wouldn't buy one.

I think the new ones look pretty good. The ones in between the current model and the fox body were god awful IMO, but the new ones aren't bad. The fox bodies were definitely the best looking Mustangs, IMO.

If I ever were to buy a Ford it would be a Mustang, but I just don't trust anything with the oval on it.

SR
02-16-2008, 07:05 AM
The 03/04 Cobras and the '03/'04 Mach1 were sexy, but the plane Jane GTs were nothing to call home about. I really like the 94/95 Mustangs with the horizontal tail lights.

I'm on my second Fox body. They're easy. I think when I get home I'm going to get a tubular k-member, tubular a-arms, coil-over front suspension, and a Flaming River manual steering rack, then yank the motor so I can re-route all of the wires, fill in all the holes in the engine bay, and paint the engine bay black. That'll be my project. I'll yank the engine before I do the k-member and steering rack though...it'll make it easier.

BeefStew25
02-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Is this where we can talk about Lincoln Continental's?

Nomad
04-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Living here in NODAK, the winter driving can be dangerous at times. I have narrowed my tire search to Bridgestone AT Revos or Goodyear Silent Armour because of their overall reviews and ice/snow traction was 2nd and 3rd but we do have the summer season here and ride/comfort is another factor which these two are highly reviewed as well. I need help deciding because pricing is about the same (expensive:shocked:) but wondering if anyone here has experienced the two tires. Thanks!

BeefStew25
04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Is this where we can talk about Lincoln Continental's?

Maybe the Ethonal thread is a bad place to discuss.

I have 8 other quotes on the fuel pump from garages around the Midas place I went to. Two of them are from other Midaseses.

Not one above $500. That new fuel pump better be made of plated gold.

claymore
04-25-2008, 12:48 PM

I have 8 other quotes on the fuel pump from garages around the Midas place I went to. Two of them are from other Midaseses.

You want me to get my Mechanics #? He does super good work for cheap, but is a ways from you.

Rex
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
You want me to get my Mechanics #? He does super good work for cheap, but is a ways from you.

Yeah Beef...pay $400 to get your Lincoln towed down to Clay's mechanic.:rolleyes:

BigDaddyBronco
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Shit, they had better give you a hand job when you get that fuel pump put in.

Buff
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Aside from changing the oil in my car, I'm essentially helpless... But my step-dad was a service manager at a ford dealership for 25 years. Since I've moved away I've called him a few times to see what line items I should tell Midas/Jiffy Lube to shove up their ass.

Rex
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM

That was negotiated into the fuel pump.

Buff
04-25-2008, 12:51 PM

You might be onto something BDB-- Pay for a fuel pump, get the lube for free.

BeefStew25
04-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Aside from changing the oil in my car, I'm essentially helpless... But my step-dad was a service manager at a ford dealership for 25 years. Since I've moved away I've called him a few times to see what line items I should tell Midas/Jiffy Lube to shove up their ass.

The thing is, the Midas place in Melbourne is great.

I love Jiffy Lube.

"Sir, we need to flush your fuel injectors. It is $29.99 and will only take a second."

They then dump a bottle of $1.99 STP fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank.

Rex
04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
The thing is, the Midas place in Melbourne is great.

I love Jiffy Lube.

"Sir, we need to flush your fuel injectors. It is $29.99 and will only take a second."

They then dump a bottle of $1.99 STP fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank.

Jiffy Lube has screwed more people than any single business in the United States history.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Jiffy Lube has screwed more people than any single business in the United States history.

Hey now...don't forget about Haliburton.

KCL
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM

Jiffy Lube ripoff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI)

Davii
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM

What about Trojan?

I mean, obviously Trojans are literally screwing people at all times. Then of course you have the not so literal meaning that cries all night.

Slick
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM

I worked there when I was in school in San Antonio. I had a hard time living with the fact that I basically sold people services that they didn't need. Hell, it was company policy. I didn't do it for long, I felt especially guilty taking advantage of women who came by themselves.

Ok I just set someone up I think. :lol:

girler
04-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I worked there when I was in school in San Antonio. I had a hard time living with the fact that I basically sold people services that they didn't need. Hell, it was company policy. I didn't do it for long, I felt especially guilty taking advantage of women who came by themselves.

Ok I just set someone up I think. :lol:

I don't do anything with the car unless Mr.B has called and talked to the peeps first. Otherwise they treat me like a complete idiot. I may be a complete car idiot, but they don't have to treat me that way. :tsk:

Slick
04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't do anything with the car unless Mr.B has called and talked to the peeps first. Otherwise they treat me like a complete idiot. I may be a complete car idiot, but they don't have to treat me that way. :tsk:

Mr B is a smart man. I remember going to my boss about it and saying we were taking advantage of people. My lowest point was selling a woman a transmission, and radiator service when she had 8,000 miles on her F-250. I felt bad about that for weeks. It was only a $60.00 worth service, but she didn't need it. She came in for an oil change and ended up spending almost 100 bucks.

Day1BroncoFan
04-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I would never let my wife even take the car to a mechanic. I always do that myself and we've been going to the same one for 10 years now. :D

EDIT:

By the way, I use jiffy lube. I just keep a close eye on them. The only thing I let them do is change my oil.

SR
04-25-2008, 07:30 PM
People who take their cars to get serviced, remember this:

You only need to flush an automatic tranny about once every 40-50k miles. You don't even need it "flushed". All you need is to drop the pan, change the filter, and fill it back up.

Your rear end fluid (for rear wheel drive vehicles) needs changed about the same as your tranny fluid. All that involves is removing a drain plug at the bottom of the pumpkin, letting the fluid out, then filling it through the service plug at the top of the pumpkin. Wow. Tough.

You don't need to change your oil every three months or three thousand miles. I run plain ole Castrol organic 10w30 oil and change it every 5k miles. My dad used to have a 1998 Toyota Rav4 that had 132k miles on it when we sold it in '03. It never had any mechanical problems. **** paying all that extra money, especially with oil prices being what they are, when you don't need to.

Spend $40 and buy a K&N air filter. It never needs to be replaced, just recharged (the oil comes in a little bottle that costs about $5) once every couple of years. That'll save you money too.

SR
04-25-2008, 07:30 PM
I would never let my wife even take the car to a mechanic. I always do that myself and we've been going to the same one for 10 years now. :D

EDIT:

By the way, I use jiffy lube. I just keep a close eye on them. The only thing I let them do is change my oil.

You never took your car to a mechanic for work, but you take it somewhere to get the oil changed? :rolleyes: You know it's cheaper and takes less time if you just do it in your driveway?

Davii
04-25-2008, 08:07 PM

You only need to flush an automatic tranny about once every 40-50k miles. You don't even need it "flushed". All you need is to drop the pan, change the filter, and fill it back up.

Your rear end fluid (for rear wheel drive vehicles) needs changed about the same as your tranny fluid. All that involves is removing a drain plug at the bottom of the pumpkin, letting the fluid out, then filling it through the service plug at the top of the pumpkin. Wow. Tough.

You don't need to change your oil every three months or three thousand miles. I run plain ole Castrol organic 10w30 oil and change it every 5k miles. My dad used to have a 1998 Toyota Rav4 that had 132k miles on it when we sold it in '03. It never had any mechanical problems. **** paying all that extra money, especially with oil prices being what they are, when you don't need to.

Spend $40 and buy a K&N air filter. It never needs to be replaced, just recharged (the oil comes in a little bottle that costs about $5) once every couple of years. That'll save you money too.

K&N is the shit. Love em.

I had 198,000 miles on my S-10 when I traded it in. Only ever had 2 problems, a 63$ coil pack, and an exhaust leak.

Ran like a champ. I used (and still do) Mobil 1 and changed my oil every 5,000 or so.

BeefStew25
04-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, fellas, I am going to change my plugs tomorrow. I hope you guys are going to be in front of a computer.

SR
04-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, fellas, I am going to change my plugs tomorrow. I hope you guys are going to be in front of a computer.

Give me a call if you have any problems. I'll be around all day.

BeefStew25
04-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Give me a call if you have any problems. I'll be around all day.

Might just find a Midas.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Just got my '69 Camaro RS out today and got it ridin' Giovanni's on Pirelli's.

OOOOH.

Davii
04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Might just find a Midas.

If James isn't available you got my number as well bro.

Davii
04-25-2008, 08:51 PM

OOOOH.

Wait.... What?

Dream, WTH happened to you man?

You're starting to seem like you might be kind of cool lately, and if that's the case I might have to seriously reevaluate a few things in my life.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Wait.... What?

Dream, WTH happened to you man?

You're starting to seem like you might be kind of cool lately, and if that's the case I might have to seriously reevaluate a few things in my life.

I wish I had that car. I am cool Davii, it just took a while for you to learn.

I'm excited for school to be done in a few weeks, I'm going to go back home and see some family and then go from there. I am more than excited to take my dad's Corvette out and just drop it down. Oh man, I need to go fast.

Day1BroncoFan
04-25-2008, 10:13 PM

I always do what it takes to keep the warrantee going what ever that is. I have a 100,000 mile/5 year warrantee so I have about 35,000 miles left to do that.

K$N filters let too much dirt past for the little if any performance they provide and a lot of manufacturers won't honor their warrantee if they know you used one.

You never took your car to a mechanic for work, but you take it somewhere to get the oil changed? :rolleyes: You know it's cheaper and takes less time if you just do it in your driveway?

It costs me $75.00 bucks an hour for my time to quit working and change my oil or I have to not do something I'd rather be doing than getting greasy in my driveway. I used to be a mechanic and I'm pretty much over the dirty fingernail and busted knuckle stuff.

If you want to change your own oil fine. Don't roll your eyes at me because I have better things to do. ;)

Davii
04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
I always do what it takes to keep the warrantee going what ever that is. I have a 100,000 mile/5 year warrantee so I have about 35,000 miles left to do that.

K$N filters let too much dirt past for the little if any performance they provide and a lot of manufacturers won't honor their warrantee if they know you used one.

It costs me $75.00 bucks an hour for my time to quit working and change my oil or I have to not do something I'd rather be doing than getting greasy in my driveway. I used to be a mechanic and I'm pretty much over the dirty fingernail and busted knuckle stuff.

If you want to change your own oil fine. Don't roll your eyes at me because I have better things to do. ;)

Your warrantly cannot be voided by the use of a K&N. Look up SEMA, and you will see this is a federal law.

Besides the fact that K&N filters STOP more dirt than paper, this is proven fact, not speculation or a guess.

Just a question on the stopping working to change your oil...

Do you not stop working to go sit at Jiffy Lube?

I guess that doesn't factor in.

Day1BroncoFan
04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Your warrantly cannot be voided by the use of a K&N. Look up SEMA, and you will see this is a federal law.

Besides the fact that K&N filters STOP more dirt than paper, this is proven fact, not speculation or a guess.

Just a question on the stopping working to change your oil...

Do you not stop working to go sit at Jiffy Lube?

I guess that doesn't factor in.

I'm just going by what is on the K&N site and what people have told me they have experienced with their issues.

EDIT:

I have also heard of the oil fouling the MAF sensors. Maybe due to over oiling the element though.

Davii
04-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm just going by what is on the K&N site and what people have told me they have experienced with their issues.

EDIT:

I have also heard of the oil fouling the MAF sensors. Maybe due to over oiling the element though.

Tell them to challenge it.

SEMA (special equipment manufacturers association) has made sure there are laws in place that provide you legal protection for using superior products.

If they weren't there'd be no aftermarket due to liability.

Day1BroncoFan
04-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Tell them to challenge it.

SEMA (special equipment manufacturers association) has made sure there are laws in place that provide you legal protection for using superior products.

If they weren't there'd be no aftermarket due to liability.

It's no one I'm personally involved with just reading on various forums. Lots of horror stories. I think the manufactures claim that it does not meet OEM specs. I don't really care, I won't use them in my vehicles.

Here is a link for an ISO test result that pretty much proves they let more dirt past and in time it can add up to a lot. It's a pdf so it may load slow.

ISO test results (http://www.decosy.com/auto/filtertest.pdf)

Here is a more friendly version (http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=180100)

Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

slim
04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Jiffy Lube sucks. A real man can take care of an oil change on his own (and fuel pumps, for that matter). You guys are a bunch of pansies :yo:

SR
04-26-2008, 12:28 AM

Look up the Magnusson-Moss Act. Your warranty cannot be voided just because of an air cleaner. If you get greasy changing oil, you should probably just keep taking it somewhere.

As far as the K&N filters; their micron rating is better than factory air cleaners. The filters are lubricated with oil, which allows more air to pass through the material with less shit getting past the filter. A K&N filter by itself will increase HP by 10-12 hp depending on the kind of engine and application as well as increase fuel economy. Most mechanics know this kind of stuff. Every vehicle I've ever owned from a Toyota Rav4 to my new '08 Tacoma has had a K&N filter and never once has it caused my MAF to screw up. If a K&N filter is causing a MAF to foul, it's because who ever the genius who installed the filter put too much oil on it. Even then, you don't foul the sensor, you just clog the MAF meter which takes all of 20-seconds to clean with some brake parts cleaner.

SR
04-26-2008, 12:36 AM

OOOOH.

Anyone who puts those ghey ass wheels and those garbage tires on a car like a '69 RS Camaro deserves to be shot in the face. In fact, I've got my 30-30 handy. I'll shoot them in the face.

Day1BroncoFan
04-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Look up the Magnusson-Moss Act. Your warranty cannot be voided just because of an air cleaner. If you get greasy changing oil, you should probably just keep taking it somewhere.

As far as the K&N filters; their micron rating is better than factory air cleaners. The filters are lubricated with oil, which allows more air to pass through the material with less shit getting past the filter. A K&N filter by itself will increase HP by 10-12 hp depending on the kind of engine and application as well as increase fuel economy. Most mechanics know this kind of stuff. Every vehicle I've ever owned from a Toyota Rav4 to my new '08 Tacoma has had a K&N filter and never once has it caused my MAF to screw up. If a K&N filter is causing a MAF to foul, it's because who ever the genius who installed the filter put too much oil on it. Even then, you don't foul the sensor, you just clog the MAF meter which takes all of 20-seconds to clean with some brake parts cleaner.

Personally I could care less about whether they are better or worse than other air filters. All I'm did was put information out there that I have seen. After seeing all the information saying that they are bad and hearing all the same stories from mutiple places time and time again I cannot believe that there is nothing to it.

I did produce a scientific study done in accordance with ISO 5011 regulations showing that K&N filters do not filter as well as other filters. Look here (http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=180100) to read it. At the end of this post you will find a quote from the accompanying article. I am more inclined to believe a scientific test than your opinion.

I doubt that an air filter can give you 10-12 horsepower. The only way I would believe that is if you dyno my vehicle and then put a K&N on it and dyno it again with said increase in horsepower. Do that five times in a row with consistent results I would concede.

As far as the warrantee issue that is just something I heard as well.

My getting dirty laying in my driveway changing my oil days are over for now. That may change in the future but for now I am not going to do it, especially in the summer here when it's 120 degrees. The last thing I want to do is go out and work on a hot engine. You do change your oil when the engine is warmed up right?

Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

BeefStew25
04-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Guys, are the cheastest Champion plugs fine as a replacement?

claymore
04-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Jiffy Lube sucks. A real man can take care of an oil change on his own (and fuel pumps, for that matter). You guys are a bunch of pansies :yo:Id rather stay at work an extra hour or 2 surfing the internet, and let someone else do it. :D

SR
04-26-2008, 09:14 AM
My getting dirty laying in my driveway changing my oil days are over for now. That may change in the future but for now I am not going to do it, especially in the summer here when it's 120 degrees. The last thing I want to do is go out and work on a hot engine. You do change your oil when the engine is warmed up right?

Boo hoo.

I really, really hope you're not serious about changing your oil when the engine is warmed up.

SR
04-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Guys, are the cheastest Champion plugs fine as a replacement?

Motorcraft.

Davii
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Motorcraft.

SR, have I ever told you how much I adore your signature?

That is quite possibly the best piece of blocking ever recorded on film.

BeefStew25
04-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Boo hoo.

I really, really hope you're not serious about changing your oil when the engine is warmed up.

So you change it when it is cold?

BeefStew25
04-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Motorcraft.

I have issues with anything Motorcraft related right now.

SR
04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
So you change it when it is cold?

Yeah...that way all the oil drains in to the oil pan.

BeefStew25
04-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah...that way all the oil drains in to the oil pan.

I do it when the engine is warm so the oil is hot and everything drains easier....like hot butter vs cold butter.

Davii
04-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I do it when the engine is warm so the oil is hot and everything drains easier....like hot butter vs cold butter.

I don't do it hot, but not cold either. I normally start the truck up, let it run for a few minutes to start warming up, shut it off and let it sit for 15-20 mins then change it.

BeefStew25
04-26-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't do it hot, but not cold either. I normally start the truck up, let it run for a few minutes to start warming up, shut it off and let it sit for 15-20 mins then change it.

exactly what i do.

SR
04-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I do it when it's totally cold...whether or not it drains fast is irrelevant. If you run your truck/car before you change the oil, your lifter valley, crank case, and heads are all going to have big puddles of old oil sitting on them. I'd rather change it cold and have it take a little longer but get more oil out.

Davii
04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I do it when it's totally cold...whether or not it drains fast is irrelevant. If you run your truck/car before you change the oil, your lifter valley, crank case, and heads are all going to have big puddles of old oil sitting on them. I'd rather change it cold and have it take a little longer but get more oil out.

That's why you leave it sit for a few minutes. If the oil hasn't drained back to the pan in 20 mins it's not going to drain back in five days.

SR
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I still do it when its totally cold. I usually have a smoke or a beer while it's draining. I'm almost at 2k miles on the Tacoma...she'll be due for an oil change soon. Toyota put Castrol organic 10w30 in it from the factory, so I will probably just stick with that.

Davii
04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
I still do it when its totally cold. I usually have a smoke or a beer while it's draining. I'm almost at 2k miles on the Tacoma...she'll be due for an oil change soon. Toyota put Castrol organic 10w30 in it from the factory, so I will probably just stick with that.

By organic you just mean fossil oil?

Haven't heard of organic yet, unless you just mean non-synthetic.

Day1BroncoFan
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Boo hoo.

Why do you insist on talking down to me? Do you have some kind of a inferiority complex or what?

If you don't change your oil when your engine is warmed up you are wasting your time. :coffee:

SR
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Why do you insist on talking down to me? Do you have some kind of a inferiority complex or what?

If you don't change your oil when your engine is warmed up you are wasting your time. :coffee:

Um. It takes less time to change it in my driveway than drive somewhere to have someone else do it. You're wasting your time. I'm not talking down to you. I just hate it when people bitch about it being a little hot outside.

SR
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
By organic you just mean fossil oil?

Haven't heard of organic yet, unless you just mean non-synthetic.

Yep...just regular fossil oil.

Day1BroncoFan
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Um. It takes less time to change it in my driveway than drive somewhere to have someone else do it. You're wasting your time. I'm not talking down to you. I just hate it when people bitch about it being a little hot outside.

There you are talking down to me again. I make a choice and explain it to you and all you can say is that I'm bitching about it being hot? Go back and read my post and try not to judge me. If it save you time to change your cold oil in the driveway go for it. I can do other things while I pay someone to do it.

Let me see, I go by the oil and filter plus all the tools pans and so on. I go out and warm up the vehicle because that's the best way to do it, then I drain the oil out, replace the filter and refill the oil. I then have to complete the rest of the job which includes performaing all the checks on the rest of the fluids and tire pressure. If I spill any oil in my driveway to clean it up. After all this I have to find somewhere to talk the used oil and get rid of it properly.

I am doing this all while it is over 100 degrees in the summer on an engine that is hot. No thanks. That all takes me about an hour to complete the whole thing. I have to either use my Saturday or Sunday to do this unless I take time off work which costs me 75.00 an hour.

Or I can take it to Jiffy Lube and have them do it for me and be done in less time than I can do it my self including driving time.

If you think this is bitching then so be it.

I hate it when people think they know more than they know and talk down to others with their percieved superiority.

EDIT:

Did I mention that while jiffy lube is doing this work I am busy actually talking to customers on the phone and accomplishing other things I can't pay someone else to do?

SR
04-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't think I know more than I know. As far as the rest of your post, agree to disagree I reckon.

Day1BroncoFan
04-27-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't think I know more than I know. As far as the rest of your post, agree to disagree I reckon.

I am referring to what you say about me bitching when I say that, nothing else.

As for agreeing to disagree goes, I am not disagreeing with you. I am merely presenting factual evidence of which I have personal knowledge. For example; I have never, that I can recall seen evidence that it is better to change your oil when it is cold. I have however, seen overwhelming support that it is better to change your oil when it is hot, the sooner you drain the oil after shutting off an engine that is at operating temperature the better it is.

This is after all a discussion and I am presenting what I believe to be true and can provide documentation to support. Every owner’s manual will tell you almost without exception to change oil when it is up to operating temperature. Check yours and tell me what it says, that’s what mine says for all of the vehicles and equipment I own.

SR
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
I change my oil when the oil is cold because that means its ALL in the oil pan, not sitting on top of the lifter valley, or puddled up on top of the heads, or trapped in the lifters or coating the crank. The less old oil in the motor when you change it, the cleaner the new oil is when it goes in. I personally don't care what an owners manual or the internet says. I've been building small block Ford motors since I was 16, some of which have produced anywhere between 400-900 HP at the crank. I know what I'm doing when it comes to engines, so a lot of the shit you read doesn't apply to the kind of shit I do. Read all you want, but I'll take first hand experience and first hand results over what some book says.

BeefStew25
04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I change my oil when the oil is cold because that means its ALL in the oil pan, not sitting on top of the lifter valley, or puddled up on top of the heads, or trapped in the lifters or coating the crank. The less old oil in the motor when you change it, the cleaner the new oil is when it goes in. I personally don't care what an owners manual or the internet says. I've been building small block Ford motors since I was 16, some of which have produced anywhere between 400-900 HP at the crank. I know what I'm doing when it comes to engines, so a lot of the shit you read doesn't apply to the kind of shit I do. Read all you want, but I'll take first hand experience and first hand results over what some book says.

Wouldn't it always be puddled at the top of the heads, even if cold? Or do you invert your car on a magical lift?

claymore
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
There you are talking down to me again. I make a choice and explain it to you and all you can say is that I'm bitching about it being hot? Go back and read my post and try not to judge me. If it save you time to change your cold oil in the driveway go for it. I can do other things while I pay someone to do it.

Let me see, I go by the oil and filter plus all the tools pans and so on. I go out and warm up the vehicle because that's the best way to do it, then I drain the oil out, replace the filter and refill the oil. I then have to complete the rest of the job which includes performaing all the checks on the rest of the fluids and tire pressure. If I spill any oil in my driveway to clean it up. After all this I have to find somewhere to talk the used oil and get rid of it properly.

I am doing this all while it is over 100 degrees in the summer on an engine that is hot. No thanks. That all takes me about an hour to complete the whole thing. I have to either use my Saturday or Sunday to do this unless I take time off work which costs me 75.00 an hour.

Or I can take it to Jiffy Lube and have them do it for me and be done in less time than I can do it my self including driving time.

If you think this is bitching then so be it.

I hate it when people think they know more than they know and talk down to others with their percieved superiority.

EDIT:

Did I mention that while jiffy lube is doing this work I am busy actually talking to customers on the phone and accomplishing other things I can't pay someone else to do?A dude named Mojito changes mine down at Tuffy. I get free nitrogen in my tires with every oil change. Plus I get to stop and pick up a 12 pack of beer on the way home.

Day1BroncoFan
04-27-2008, 07:40 PM

Oil runs down hill because of gravity, if it is hot, it runs faster down hill and it will still run out the oil drain plug.

Engine designers make engines in such a way that oil is returned to the pan rapidly in order to keep the oil pump supplied with a continuous amount of oil. If you leave your drain plug out longer because your oil is cold you won’t get any more oil out than if you drain it hot. Draining your oil hot insures that all the particles are suspended in the oil when it drains out rather that being stuck in a bunch of thick cold oil sitting in the bottom of your oil pan.

You don’t care about the owners’ manual? The owners’ manual that tells you how to keep your warrantee in force? I pay attention to mine owners’ manual so I can be sure if I need to have warrantee work done they pay. Maybe that does not matter to you but it sure does to me.

I was a mechanic for most of my life so I have enough experience to know what I'm talking about too. I am not just quoting things I have heard or read on the Internet.

I have rebuilt anything from 1500 horsepower diesels to chainsaw engines so don't go down the "who has more experience road" if all you have done is rebuilt a few engines in your garage.

Broncogator
04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
A dude named Mojito changes mine down at Tuffy. I get free nitrogen in my tires with every oil change. Plus I get to stop and pick up a 12 pack of beer on the way home.

I like Mojitos :elefant: and I usually tear down my entire engine to ensure no unclean oil remains.... and I don't have to worry about thermal viscosity. Damn Castrol commercials :laugh:

SR
04-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Oil runs down hill because of gravity, if it is hot, it runs faster down hill and it will still run out the oil drain plug.

Engine designers make engines in such a way that oil is returned to the pan rapidly in order to keep the oil pump supplied with a continuous amount of oil. If you leave your drain plug out longer because your oil is cold you won’t get any more oil out than if you drain it hot. Draining your oil hot insures that all the particles are suspended in the oil when it drains out rather that being stuck in a bunch of thick cold oil sitting in the bottom of your oil pan.

You don’t care about the owners’ manual? The owners’ manual that tells you how to keep your warrantee in force? I pay attention to mine owners’ manual so I can be sure if I need to have warrantee work done they pay. Maybe that does not matter to you but it sure does to me.

I was a mechanic for most of my life so I have enough experience to know what I'm talking about too. I am not just quoting things I have heard or read on the Internet.

I have rebuilt anything from 1500 horsepower diesels to chainsaw engines so don't go down the "who has more experience road" if all you have done is rebuilt a few engines in your garage.

I've never owned a vehicle that was under warranty until I bought my Tacoma. I've done more than a couple of rebuilds in my garage...and I'm not trying to determine who has more experience because I don't really care.

BeefStew25
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I've never owned a vehicle that was under warranty until I bought my Tacoma. I've done more than a couple of rebuilds in my garage...and I'm not trying to determine who has more experience because I don't really care.

Well, if you need help changing your oil, let me know. Your cold oil is sitting on top of your heads. Remind me never to buy a car from you.

SR
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, if you need help changing your oil, let me know. Your cold oil is sitting on top of your heads. Remind me never to buy a car from you.

lol. Ok beef. See if I ever help you out again. ;)

Day1BroncoFan
04-27-2008, 09:06 PM

You're the one calling my post out and talking down like you have some special stuff going on.

I'm just defending my postition. If you had not called me out I would never even have responded.

So basically all it boils down to is your opinion and that's what you called me out on?

If you want to debate fine, just don't talk down and we can do that. If you roll your eyes at me, I have to defend myself.

SR
04-27-2008, 09:22 PM
You're the one calling my post out and talking down like you have some special stuff going on.

I'm just defending my postition. If you had not called me out I would never even have responded.

So basically all it boils down to is your opinion and that's what you called me out on?

If you want to debate fine, just don't talk down and we can do that. If you roll your eyes at me, I have to defend myself.

It's the internet...get over it.

Day1BroncoFan
04-27-2008, 11:57 PM
It's the internet...get over it.

I think you are the one that needs to get over it.

Put up or shut up. If you can't back it up, don't say it, Internet or not.

SR
04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Seriously? I'm not the one that keeps going on and on. Put up what? Back up what? Does it really matter how I change my oil? No. Does it really matter if the oil is cold or warm? No. Do I really care if you call yourself a mechanic? No. I get paid to be a mechanic and I'm very confident in my abilities, so I don't really care what qualifications you once had. I really, honestly don't care about you, period...so get over it. Let it go.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Seriously? I'm not the one that keeps going on and on. Put up what? Back up what? Does it really matter how I change my oil? No. Does it really matter if the oil is cold or warm? No. Do I really care if you call yourself a mechanic? No. I get paid to be a mechanic and I'm very confident in my abilities, so I don't really care what qualifications you once had. I really, honestly don't care about you, period...so get over it. Let it go.

Seeing, a couple of us are worried about you. Are you running a temp? Do you need someone to talk to?

SR
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Seeing, a couple of us are worried about you. Are you running a temp? Do you need someone to talk to?

I'm ok.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm ok.

Ok. Drink a quart of Slick 50 and call me in the morning.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
This is just about the funniest internet argument I've ever read.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 11:42 AM
This is just about the funniest internet argument I've ever read.

Joe, when are we meating up this weekend?

Slick
04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
How did the spark plug change work out Beef? I thought I heard someone echoes of cussing from across the ocean, followed by the clanking sound of Nattie bottles.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Whenever you decide to call me. I'm taking the family to the Crush game on Friday night. My daughter has a lacrosse game on Saturday. When do you get into town?

Nomad
04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
:noidea:I was reading on some truck forums that a 2006 Silverado doesn't need a locking gas cap because it has a anti-siphaning neck on the tank!
Anyway I have been reading that gas is being stolen out of tanks and we're making a trip to La/Ms (wife going to NCO Academy) but I've also read people are just cutting fuel lines or pouching holes in gas tanks.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
How did the spark plug change work out Beef? I thought I heard someone echoes of cussing from across the ocean, followed by the clanking sound of Nattie bottles.

LOL.

Well, I am delaying the tune up, as I found out why the Lincoln was skipping a bit. I am sure you read about the fuel pump.

I was thinking of changing the plugs in a Auto Zone parking lot with my shirt off one evening this week.

The plugs are like $2 each or something.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Whenever you decide to call me. I'm taking the family to the Crush game on Friday night. My daughter has a lacrosse game on Saturday. When do you get into town?

Friday night until Sunday afternoon. I am helping my rich oil buddy move. I think we are going to the Rockies game Saturday night.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Friday night until Sunday afternoon. I am helping my rich oil buddy move. I think we are going to the Rockies game Saturday night.

You have a rich oil buddy in Denver? Is he hiring? :heh:

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
You have a rich oil buddy in Denver? Is he hiring? :heh:

It is ridiculous right now. The price of oil is opening up places for drilling that 10 years ago they never would have touched. He was telling me Peak Oil is a load of horse shit.

Day1BroncoFan
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Well, I will try to explain my position for the last time right now.

You are the one that called me out by quoting me and doing the :rolleyes: thing. I think most everyone here knows what that means but I will explain. What it means to me is something to the effect of "yea right, like you would know what you are talking about". If I'm wrong about that let me know.

I posted information I thought refuted your information and your replies to all the posts were inferring I am some sort of less intelligent person than you or that you have some sort of special knowledge that the rest I don't possess.

Your post about reading the Internet and your experience when taken in context to your previous posts had the tone of saying "well I have experience, I don't just read the Internet", at least that's how it seemed to me.

I repeatedly ask you to back up your claims and you could not or would not. I am thinking the tone of this thread is to give people advice, if I am wrong on that then let me know. If I am right on that then I will challenge information I believe to be wrong or if I think there is a better way a particular thing can be done.

I repeat for the last time, if you can't understand then it’s your problem not mine. If you call out my posts in a demeaning manor, which I feel is the case, I will defend my position. Using the :rolleyes: emoticon is in my opinion doing just that. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say to you. i am beginning to think you cannot. Emoticons are here to put across the meaning of your words better than just typing the out which I am sure you are aware of. Emoticons are not just cute little pictures that you can put in a post, especially a reply to someone without any meaning.

I am though with this conversation. If you don’t know where I am coming from by now you never will.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I am LMMFAO right now.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I am LMMFAO right now.

So you don't want to meat me? That is cool.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes, beef. Maybe you, me and Tubby can catch a beer. Where are you staying? What side of town? Don't try to get me to help you move though...

PS - I'm laughing at the two guys fighting over how to change your oil. Good grief, I've never laughed so hard.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes, beef. Maybe you, me and Tubby can catch a beer. Where are you staying? What side of town? Don't try to get me to help you move though...

PS - I'm laughing at the two guys fighting over how to change your oil. Good grief, I've never laughed so hard.

Well, I really don't know. Tubby is going to be out of town, as I guess the GLAAD conference is that weekend in Phoenix of something.

tubby
04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Beef, what time do you get in on Fri?

I leave for Phoenix Sat.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Beef, what time do you get in on Fri?

I leave for Phoenix Sat.

6:10. I think we are going to move some, and then I think we are going to maybe have a beer or 9.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh gosh I am nervous.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
6:10. I think we are going to move some, and then I think we are going to maybe have a beer or 9.

Do you have my cell number?

MOtorboat
Wait...did I totally miss something? Is Beef moving to Denver?

BroncoJoe
cswil is going to have a coronary.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Do you have my cell number?

yeah, i think you pms'ed to me. Maybe we can have a cup of tea at a trendy bistro or something.

tubby
04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, I really don't know. Tubby is going to be out of town, as I guess the GLAAD conference is that weekend in Phoenix of something.

Penis.

http://www.silverleaf.com/golf.php

http://www.silverleaf.com/golfgallery.php

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Penis.

Nice. I went to the driving range yesterday with my daughter.

I've got a lot of work to do this summer....

Slick
LOL.

Well, I am delaying the tune up, as I found out why the Lincoln was skipping a bit. I am sure you read about the fuel pump.

I was thinking of changing the plugs in a Auto Zone parking lot with my shirt off one evening this week.

The plugs are like $2 each or something.

LMAO. Yea I read about your gold plated, no handjob included fuel pump. I remember paying close to that for parts and labor to put one on an old girlfriends Grand Prix. I was pissed.

I kind of stopped doing my own sparkplugs when I bought a fuel injected truck. I used to be able to do most of my own work on my '83 Toyota 4x4, but everytime I open the hood on the truck I have now, I end up saying "F it" I'll clean and respray my K & N and let "el guero" do the rest.

I've actually found a decent mechanic here. I had my sister bring down a new CO sensor, he put it on for 20 bucks. 15 bucks for oil changes, and I usually bring him a 6 pack of Sol. Guys got 4 pit bulls guarding his place. Gives a literal meaning to the term "Junkyard Dog"

Good luck with your Autozone endeavor. I've done a little shade tree mechanic in their parking lots as well. Video of this would be epic.

MOtorboat
Penis.

Holy cow...are you a member?

tubby
04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Holy cow...are you a member?

A friend of mine from HS is a golf pro there. Free golf. :D

I better buy some more balls before I go.

MOtorboat
04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
A friend of mine from HS is a golf pro there. Free golf. :D

I better buy some more balls before I go.

Wow...that's awesome. I would have had a golf-pro friend too, had he not given it up to make a bunch of money as an accountant for an internet company.

Jackass. :mad:

KCL
04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a 2004 Chevy SS Impala with the supercharged V-6...very very nice
car.It has 39,000 miles on it.Its paid for and I have tried selling it outright with no luck.I want an SUV...I like the Ford Escape.Hubby says I am crazy
for wanting an Escape.He says I would be trading down if I did this.He says
they will not give me a fair trade.

What do you all think?

Here is one just like it...

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/1078776204531423_6_full.jpg

and here is the Escape I want...the Limited model...I want a black one.I do not want the brand new model as I like the older model better.

http://thumbs.automart.com/imgs/ag/automart/cst/130/391/1/526/885/76/feed/thumb/10511036255001030.jpg

Day1BroncoFan
04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I have a 2004 Chevy SS Impala with the supercharged V-6...very very nice
car.It has 39,000 miles on it.Its paid for and I have tried selling it outright with no luck.I want an SUV...I like the Ford Escape.Hubby says I am crazy
for wanting an Escape.He says I would be trading down if I did this.He says
they will not give me a fair trade.

What do you all think?

Here is one just like it...

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/1078776204531423_6_full.jpg

and here is the Escape I want...the Limited model...I want a black one.I do not want the brand new model as I like the older model better.

http://thumbs.automart.com/imgs/ag/automart/cst/130/391/1/526/885/76/feed/thumb/10511036255001030.jpg

I would keep the Chevy over getting the Escape if it were me. :D

In-com-plete
04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Jiffy Lube sucks. A real man can take care of an oil change on his own (and fuel pumps, for that matter). You guys are a bunch of pansies :yo:

You ever change the oil on a VW?

I always changed my own oil. Changed it on that old Datsun truck I had, the Escort, the Blazer, my S-10.

So when I bought my GTI a few years ago I changed it once. And that was enough for me. For one, I have to jack it up (which I've never done on any other of my cars). This isn't a big deal when you're on flat ground, but there's not a flat spot anywhere on my driveway. The other reason is that the damn filter is at a 45^ angle with the bottom of the filter pointing up. So as you unscrew it oil is running out all over the place. Over hoses, with some getting caught by the plastic bumper that angles back under the car. Cleanup after this is about the biggest pain in the ass ever.

So yes, I take my car to get the oil changed. But the truck I still do it myself.

SR
04-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Well, I will try to explain my position for the last time right now.

You are the one that called me out by quoting me and doing the :rolleyes: thing. I think most everyone here knows what that means but I will explain. What it means to me is something to the effect of "yea right, like you would know what you are talking about". If I'm wrong about that let me know.

I posted information I thought refuted your information and your replies to all the posts were inferring I am some sort of less intelligent person than you or that you have some sort of special knowledge that the rest I don't possess.

Your post about reading the Internet and your experience when taken in context to your previous posts had the tone of saying "well I have experience, I don't just read the Internet", at least that's how it seemed to me.

I repeatedly ask you to back up your claims and you could not or would not. I am thinking the tone of this thread is to give people advice, if I am wrong on that then let me know. If I am right on that then I will challenge information I believe to be wrong or if I think there is a better way a particular thing can be done.

I repeat for the last time, if you can't understand then it’s your problem not mine. If you call out my posts in a demeaning manor, which I feel is the case, I will defend my position. Using the :rolleyes: emoticon is in my opinion doing just that. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say to you. i am beginning to think you cannot. Emoticons are here to put across the meaning of your words better than just typing the out which I am sure you are aware of. Emoticons are not just cute little pictures that you can put in a post, especially a reply to someone without any meaning.

I am though with this conversation. If you don’t know where I am coming from by now you never will.

I wish we had a douche bag emoticon for that post. Since we don't, I'll use this one. :rolleyes:

Day1BroncoFan
04-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I wish we had a douche bag emoticon for that post. Since we don't, I'll use this one. :rolleyes:

Pretty petty and typical for you. I expected this. :rolleyes:

You're resorting to name calling now?

You are such a big man huh?

tubby
04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
What temp should the old oil be before I pour it down the sewer drain?

Day1BroncoFan
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Just park it over the drain and pull the plug.

SR
04-28-2008, 05:07 PM
You ever change the oil on a VW?

I always changed my own oil. Changed it on that old Datsun truck I had, the Escort, the Blazer, my S-10.

So when I bought my GTI a few years ago I changed it once. And that was enough for me. For one, I have to jack it up (which I've never done on any other of my cars). This isn't a big deal when you're on flat ground, but there's not a flat spot anywhere on my driveway. The other reason is that the damn filter is at a 45^ angle with the bottom of the filter pointing up. So as you unscrew it oil is running out all over the place. Over hoses, with some getting caught by the plastic bumper that angles back under the car. Cleanup after this is about the biggest pain in the ass ever.

So yes, I take my car to get the oil changed. But the truck I still do it myself.

I did some work on a buddy's '03 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro over last week. That plastic piece they put under the motor from the k-member to the front bumper cover is a bitch to get off, especially the front screws where they've been flattened out from hitting bumps and parking curbs. Forget that.

The oil is going to be cake to change on the Tacoma. The oil filter is on the top of the motor so I can just pop the hood and remove it regardless of if the oil has been drained or not. It sits up high enough to where I can just get on a creeper and roll under her. The oil pan is wierd lookin though. It looks like it'll only hold a quart or two at the most.

SR
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Meh. Just make sure it's as black and contaminated as possible...give those tree huggers something to really complain about. Get the EPA off of our backs for a while.

BeefStew25
04-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Just park it over the drain and pull the plug.

That actually is a good idea.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I usually just put it in an empty milk jug and leave it on the neighbors front porch.

BeefStew25
04-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Okay, guys, I found the plugs. I guess the Lincoln doesn't have a distributor cap.

Here is the panel I had to take off to access the what ever these things are. This is the front of the car, so the back four plugs are going to be hard to access.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/beefstew25/P1010093.jpg

Then I pulled one of the things out that said Motorcraft. The plug is deep in the hole. I don't have a long enough extension to my ratchet to reach the plug, so I am going to change the plugs tomorrow after I get an extender.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/beefstew25/P1010094.jpg

The back four plugs are going to be tough. I have the elbow joint for my ratchet, but changing the back four plugs is going to be mostly by feel.

Please give me some feedback. I love all of you guys except Jim since he likes cold oil.

SR
04-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Nate, this is exactly what I told you about in my long post about changing the plugs on your motor. READ IT.

The things that say "Motorcraft" are your coil packs. Its what sends the electric charge to your spark plugs so they can spark. The long piece with the two bolts, which I told you about, is the coil cover and bolts to your valve cover.

Please read that post and do as I said because I would sure hate to have to explain to you how to remove the cylinder head because you cross threaded a spark plug.

BeefStew25
04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Nate, this is exactly what I told you about in my long post about changing the plugs on your motor. READ IT.

The things that say "Motorcraft" are your coil packs. Its what sends the electric charge to your spark plugs so they can spark. The long piece with the two bolts, which I told you about, is the coil cover and bolts to your valve cover.

Please read that post and do as I said because I would sure hate to have to explain to you how to remove the cylinder head because you cross threaded a spark plug.

I have changed plugs before, goof ball.

I just had no idea where the durn things were.

Also, I had never seen a plug set up like this before.

SR
04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
I have changed plugs before, goof ball.

I just had no idea where the durn things were.

Also, I had never seen a plug set up like this before.

You have to be extremely careful with these because the heads are aluminum. I've seen a whole lotta people who have had to pull their heads to take them to a machinist to get the plug holes heli-coiled. I've got quite a bit of experience with those motors as I had one in my '03 Mach 1 and have friends who have 1996 and up Cobras with the same motor, so feel free to ask any questions.

Nate...here's how to change the plugs on your motor, assuming it's a 32 valve, DOHC.

On your valve covers, you should have a plastic piece about 8" long that is held down with two bolts. Remove said bolts. Under that cover there should be four coil packs, one for each plug. Pull gently on each coil pack. You will feel a "pop", it's just the plug wire popping off of the plug. What you'll then have to do is stick a 5/8" socket with the rubber grommet with 12" worth of extensions (or 9" if you have a 6" and a 3" extension) down there. Pull each plug out. Replacing the plugs is kind of a bitch. The heads are aluminum which means you need some anti-seize around the threads on the plugs. MAKE SURE when you put the new plugs in that you don't cross thread them. If they get cross threaded, you will have to take the cylinder head off and take it to a machine shop so they can heli-coil the threads in the plug hole. So be EXTRA careful when putting the new plugs in. Do that for both sides. Once the new plugs are in and torqued properly (I use my calibrated elbow), you have to reinstall the coil packs. Stick the tube down the spark plug hole until you feel or hear the same "snap" that you heard/felt when you removed the coil pack.

Oh, before you install the plugs, make sure they're gapped properly or else your car will run like shit. Also, Ford Motorcraft copper tip plugs are good and they're less than $2 per.

If you get lost, give me a call. 325-201-3780. Don't worry, I've got a smooth, sexy sounding voice. It'll make you feel nice and at ease

Reidman
04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4154/springsummer08045yc5.jpg
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/329/springsummer08046uv7.jpg
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4986/springsummer08047se9.jpg

frauschieze
04-30-2008, 09:56 PM
How's your gas mileage, Reid? ;)

BeefStew25
04-30-2008, 09:57 PM
How's your gas mileage, Reid? ;)

My boss has the same truck. At highway speeds i think 4 cylinders shut off or something.

SR
04-30-2008, 09:58 PM
My boss has the same truck. At highway speeds i think 4 cylinders shut off or something.

I don't know if his truck does that, but some of the newer ones do. AZ Snake's Chebby does.

Davii
05-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Beef,

Please take heed with what Jame's is telling you on the plugs. Those aluminum heads are a bitch, they cross thread EASY. Soft metal and all.

A trick I have used is to get some vacuum line from autozone, put it over the tip on the plug, put it in the head, and then get the threads started, you should be able to get 2-3 FULL turns doing this, any less and you need to back it out and start over.

Please don't just drop the plug in and start turning with a ratchet, like James said, you'll cross thread it in a heartbeat and you'll have to spend a few hours on the phone with him to get the whole head off.

Reidman
05-01-2008, 01:31 AM
No cylinders shutdown on this truck.

However, I was surprised to see that it avg 17-20 on the highway, not so well in
the city, 14 is all I've managed driving around town...

One of the reasons I haven't ditched my soobie yet but man is driving fun again...

Escobar
05-01-2008, 01:54 AM
My whip, not this pic, but looks exactly the same cept for the rims, i have dub mogul 24's on it. http://dpe-wheels.com/jojo/300/3.jpg

Almost done paying it off......and its payed off so far - im looking to buy the bentley grill....hopefully that 'stimulus check' can get it for me :beer:

SR
05-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Bs

In-com-plete
05-01-2008, 09:16 AM
This is my new ride (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/In-com-plete/image-1.jpg). I've had it for over a month now but commited to it back in September. Friend of mine I bought it off of wanted to keep it over the winter until he got his Duc.

It's only a 600 but I had to "get back in the game" somewhere. My old bike was a '94 CBR 600. Carborated, weighed about 420 lbs with around 90 HP. This is fuel injected, about 360 lbs and 112 HP at the wheel. Amazing the difference in bikes over the last dozen or so years. But this GSXR is probably like an old 750 or liter bike from back in the day. And not really riding a bike for 4 years I just decided to buy another 600. Besides, I got a hell of a deal on it and my friend has taken great care of it. I'm confident I can sell it next summer if I want for the same price. Maybe $500 less.

Riding over to the beach for the Virginia Beach Bike Classic (http://www.vabeachbikeclassic.com/) tomorrow. Should be a great freakin' weekend.

claymore
05-01-2008, 09:35 AM
My whip, not this pic, but looks exactly the same cept for the rims, i have dub mogul 24's on it.
Almost done paying it off......and its payed off so far - im looking to buy the bentley grill....hopefully that 'stimulus check' can get it for me :beer:

Is that a 300 with a Bentley Grill?

SR
05-01-2008, 10:04 AM
This is my new ride (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/In-com-plete/image-1.jpg). I've had it for over a month now but commited to it back in September. Friend of mine I bought it off of wanted to keep it over the winter until he got his Duc.

It's only a 600 but I had to "get back in the game" somewhere. My old bike was a '94 CBR 600. Carborated, weighed about 420 lbs with around 90 HP. This is fuel injected, about 360 lbs and 112 HP at the wheel. Amazing the difference in bikes over the last dozen or so years. But this GSXR is probably like an old 750 or liter bike from back in the day. And not really riding a bike for 4 years I just decided to buy another 600. Besides, I got a hell of a deal on it and my friend has taken great care of it. I'm confident I can sell it next summer if I want for the same price. Maybe $500 less.

Riding over to the beach for the Virginia Beach Bike Classic (http://www.vabeachbikeclassic.com/) tomorrow. Should be a great freakin' weekend.

I want a bike so bad. I'm in a good financial position to buy one right now, but I'm due to get out of the AF in about 15 months and in doing so I will be moving back to AZ. It's likely I'll get a job at Sky Harbor International Airport, which is about 45 minutes from where I'll be living, so a motorbike in the carpool lane during rush hour will definitely be better than stop and go traffic...plus the obvious gas mileage difference between my truck and a bike. Ideally, a Harley would be good, but a crotch rocket like a CBR or GSXR600 would be fine.

SR
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM

I'm having JWalk flashbacks.

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I want a bike so bad. I'm in a good financial position to buy one right now, but I'm due to get out of the AF in about 15 months and in doing so I will be moving back to AZ. It's likely I'll get a job at Sky Harbor International Airport, which is about 45 minutes from where I'll be living, so a motorbike in the carpool lane during rush hour will definitely be better than stop and go traffic...plus the obvious gas mileage difference between my truck and a bike. Ideally, a Harley would be good, but a crotch rocket like a CBR or GSXR600 would be fine.

Until a SUV knocks you into a power line guidewire and they pick you up in pieces.

SR
05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Until a SUV knocks you into a power line guidewire and they pick you up in pieces.

That's a risk I'll be taking, but I've been around motorcycles my whole life and I really do love them. I'll have one in the next 18 months.

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 10:12 AM
That's a risk I'll be taking, but I've been around motorcycles my whole life and I really do love them. I'll have one in the next 18 months.

Let me know when you get one. I can help you out with some of the mechanical aspects.

SR
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Let me know when you get one. I can help you out with some of the mechanical aspects.

Thanks good buddy. It'll be a while though I'm sure.

Davii
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I just bought another Harley on Tuesday. I had planned on buying an old muscle car to restore, but after thinking about it realized, even if I did i'd still want another Harley.

So, I found the right bike at the right price, and got it.

2006 Dyna Superglide Custom. I'll post pics later on when i'm able to.

NightTrainLayne
05-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Have you fellas with the motorcycles reviewed your life insurance programs lately?

Let me know. . .I can hook you up with a good term policy.

Davii
05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Have you fellas with the motorcycles reviewed your life insurance programs lately?

Let me know. . .I can hook you up with a good term policy.

Can you get me a policy that pays 400,000$ for next to nothing and covers me while in combat?

No?

Oh well, looks like i'll keep the one I have, thanks though.

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Okay, Red, I have a question for you. What is the easiest wat to access the 4 plugs along the back of the engine well?

SR
05-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I just bought another Harley on Tuesday. I had planned on buying an old muscle car to restore, but after thinking about it realized, even if I did i'd still want another Harley.

So, I found the right bike at the right price, and got it.

2006 Dyna Superglide Custom. I'll post pics later on when i'm able to.

Congrats on the purchase Gunney. My dad has an '06 Wide Glide that I absolutely love.

SR
05-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Okay, Red, I have a question for you. What is the easiest wat to access the 4 plugs along the back of the engine well?

I never had any problems accessing any of them. The driver's side were plain as day to get to. The passenger's side I had to remove the induction tubing to get to the plugs. You shouldn't need a swivel joint or anything like that. Move enough shit out of the way and you should be able to just drop the socket and extensions straight down on the plug.

Az Snake
05-01-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know if his truck does that, but some of the newer ones do. AZ Snake's Chebby does.

It's not a "Chebby", it's a GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4.
It automatically switches to 4 while cruising. Great gas economy, especially compared to my old F-250 4x4.

Some Chevrolet PUs probably do the same thing.

My "personal" vehicle is a "Chebby" and I still can't believe that I get 33-34 MPG on the highway on cruise control.

Must be the aerodynamics. :confused:

SR
05-01-2008, 12:41 PM
It's not a "Chebby", it's a GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4x4.
It automatically switches to 4 while cruising. Great gas economy, especially compared to my old F-250 4x4.

Some Chevrolet PUs probably do the same thing.

My "personal" vehicle is a "Chebby" and I still can't believe that I get 33-34 MPG on the highway on cruise control.

Must be the aerodynamics. :confused:

Oh, well since it's a GMC, that makes everything all better. :laugh:

Your "personal" vehicle got me 24 MPG average over two weeks with mostly city driving last September. I was very, very impressed. Speaking of which; how's she running?

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I never had any problems accessing any of them. The driver's side were plain as day to get to. The passenger's side I had to remove the induction tubing to get to the plugs. You shouldn't need a swivel joint or anything like that. Move enough shit out of the way and you should be able to just drop the socket and extensions straight down on the plug.

Four of the plugs are in the front, the other four are in the back. Rotate the engine you are talking about 90 degrees and that is what I am dealing with. The back plugs are going to be a itch.

SR
05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Your car is front wheel drive? Have fun with that shit.

yardog
05-01-2008, 04:18 PM
If you have a set of ramps you might be able to get them easier from under the car.

SR
05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Doubt it. The 4.6 DOHC is bigger than a 460 big block. I don't know if he'd be able to reach up and over the head to get to the plugs.

Escobar
05-01-2008, 05:47 PM

No, thats the grill that came with it from the dealer......

this is a bently grill on a 300

http://www.autounleashed.com/images/chrysler_300C_gallery.jpg

Escobar
05-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Bs

I wouldn't expect any less from you....... :rolleyes:

Can't hate on Escobar, its not like that car is THAT expensive anyway.....20k

Davii
05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
The truck and the Harley

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2457495845_9f74c95b75.jpg

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 08:20 PM
So Red, yeah, the car is front wheel drive. Am I effed trying to get the rear plugs?

SR
05-01-2008, 09:50 PM
So Red, yeah, the car is front wheel drive. Am I effed trying to get the rear plugs?

Yeah. Pretty much. Its a bitch.

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah. Pretty much. Its a bitch.

Looking at it, that is what I thought. I really must think the pros would just take the hood off. Not to mention there is a bar that goes across the engine block I would have to take out just to help with access.

That plus the stuck plug issue means I am taking it in.

SR
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't **** around with front wheel drive.

Az Snake
05-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't **** around with front wheel drive.

I have NEVER owned a front wheel drive vehicle.

I never got used to opening the hood and seeing a motor sit sideways either.

I do like to burn rubber occasionally, but from the rear!:lol:

Watching FWDs burn out and gas themselves is hilarious !

Chebby ?

She runs great.
Replaced that right headlight actuator.
Replaced the fan motor for the a/c-heater.
(Bearings started squealing)
Replaced the oil pressure gauge sensor.

She might get traded up from a 5 to a 6 real soon.

Wanna buy her for kbb ?

SR
05-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I have NEVER owned a front wheel drive vehicle.

I never got used to opening the hood and seeing a motor sit sideways either.

I do like to burn rubber occasionally, but from the rear!:lol:

Watching FWDs burn out and gas themselves is hilarious !

Chebby ?

She runs great.
Replaced that right headlight actuator.
Replaced the fan motor for the a/c-heater.
(Bearings started squealing)
Replaced the oil pressure gauge sensor.

She might get traded up from a 5 to a 6 real soon.

Wanna buy her for kbb ?

Yeah...the right headlight motor gave me some problems the first day I had her. I had to tweak it, but it worked. A 6 would be awesome. That's by far my favorite one aside from the '58. I should know next week sometime if I'll be able to come out this month. If I do I'll be driving, but you know I'll come out to Tempe and hang for a bit.

As much as I'd love to buy that beautiful vehicle from you, I really can't. I just bought a new truck and sold my Mustang, essentially stepping away from cars for a while. When I move back to AZ in Aug 2009, I'm going to buy a motorcycle. So I think I'm done with muscle cars for a while.