PDA

View Full Version : PFW's TWWHI:5/30/08

TXBRONC
05-30-2008, 07:41 AM
It's starting look like Henry might loose the starting position if can't stay healthy. At the moment it looks like Young and Torain are the main threats beat out Henry. If I were Travis I find away to suck it up and get out onto the field. By the way, even if Travis isn't the starting running back I wouldn't be so sure that means he'll get cut.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/default.htm

Broncos continue tinkering with backfield

May 30, 2008

While RB Travis Henry’s hamstring injury lingers longer than expected, the competition to become the Broncos’ No. 1 back is beginning to look wide open, according to sources in Denver. We hear the only two runners to rule out of the starting job are Andre Hall and Mike Bell, leaving the hobbled Henry to fend off Selvin Young, rookie Ryan Torain and the recently signed Michael Pittman. Denver inked Pittman in part to add some insurance in case Henry’s injury becomes more of a concern, but head coach Mike Shanahan is always looking to add numbers to the backfield, regardless of potential health issues. Pittman offers a tough, veteran presence, as well as the versatility to play fullback as he did with the Buccaneers in past seasons. We hear the Pittman signing should give a bit of a push to Henry, who will need to show he can stay healthy and consistent if he’s going to keep his place on the team.

Davii
05-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Hopefully he doesn't decide to go smoke pot in his misery.

HolyDiver
05-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Young should be our starter.............. Henry will be gone not later than before the 2009 season anyway. At this point, I would rather go with Hall over Henry.

Hobe
05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
If Henry isn't on the field contributing as the 1 or 2 back he is gone before the season.

Ziggy
05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
If Henry isn't on the field contributing as the 1 or 2 back he is gone before the season.

I agree. Something tells me that that is exactly what is going to happen.

underrated29
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
I dont think so guys. A hammy does take time to heal, a good month atleast. But travis is still the best runner we have on the team. Pittman will give him a run for his money, but travis is a much better runner than he.

I think shanny is doing both the insurance incase travis pusses out, but i also think he is doing what he did with brandon last year. Play through your freaking injuries ( not the hammy but all his little dings he had last year) and get you butt on the field to practice. Because the guys who practice get to play.

I dont see anyway we cut travis unless he is hurt throughout TC and preseason...

Lonestar
05-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Hopefully he doesn't decide to go smoke pot in his misery.

hopefully he will, then all the problems and Money issues are resolved..

he is loser, might as well admit it now and get on with our team..

broncohead
05-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Travis doesn't have a huge contract so i don't think that he'll be cut unless Hall or M. Bell pass him up on the roster. Even if he is #2 I think that we keep him.

Scarface
05-31-2008, 09:43 AM
This will all be sorted out in the real training camp in a couple of months.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-31-2008, 12:10 PM
from the sound of it on the Broncos website, both royal and torain are picking everything up very fat and shanahan has been extremely pleased with what he sees in torain

i dont know about you but i think he could start opening day

Lonestar
05-31-2008, 12:29 PM
from the sound of it on the Broncos website, both royal and torain are picking everything up very fat and shanahan has been extremely pleased with what he sees in torain

The odds of a rookie WR starting are slim and none..

For one thing the full playbook is not in play till later in the year.. in most cases they do not practice it.

Scheffler said it near the end of his rookie season he kept changing the weekly game play book week after week and he just did not get it..

Please folks get real about rookies starting, much less than being superstars fro day one.. They may play spot duty.. But anything more than that is more positive than most folks can deal with..

Requiem / The Dagda
05-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Some players understand the game better than others. We're fortunate to have drafted a receiver in Royal who is a film and playbook junkie. I don't believe he's going to start from Day One, and I'm not sure he'll ever be a split end option, but to grasp the playbook and the terminology quickly right now is only going to be a plus for him in the future. The same goes for Torain. Any impact, even if it's on special teams or in a part-time offensive role by both players will be gladly welcomed.

Lonestar
05-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Some players understand the game better than others. We're fortunate to have drafted a receiver in Royal who is a film and playbook junkie. I don't believe he's going to start from Day One, and I'm not sure he'll ever be a split end option, but to grasp the playbook and the terminology quickly right now is only going to be a plus for him in the future. The same goes for Torain. Any impact, even if it's on special teams or in a part-time offensive role by both players will be gladly welcomed.

under 6' WR are becoming a thing of the past. he may wind up being a great little slot guy with a #3 or 4 DB trying to cover him.. that could be a great mismatch..

SBboundBRONCOS
05-31-2008, 01:40 PM
The odds of a rookie WR starting are slim and none..

For one thing the full playbook is not in play till later in the year.. in most cases they do not practice it.

Scheffler said it near the end of his rookie season he kept changing the weekly game play book week after week and he just did not get it..

Please folks get real about rookies starting, much less than being superstars fro day one.. They may play spot duty.. But anything more than that is more positive than most folks can deal with..

i was talking about torain, i know royal most likely will not be a starter unless something goes very wrong

underrated29
05-31-2008, 02:47 PM
i was talking about torain, i know royal most likely will not be a starter unless something goes very wrong

Where did you read that? Please post a link if you can. I would love to read about how well eddy and TORAIN are doing!

JR- no one thinks royal will start day 1. But I promise you, well not promise yet, i need to see him in preseason, but for now i am all but promising this guy will line up as a #2 and be an excellent wr!

lex
05-31-2008, 03:33 PM

Shanahan says a lot of things. Two years ago he was comparing Mike Bell to Terrell Davis.

BroncoWave
05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
hopefully he will, then all the problems and Money issues are resolved..

he is loser, might as well admit it now and get on with our team..

That's what I'm saying. Let him smoke pot. He won't be our headache anymore.

lex
05-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Young should be our starter.............. Henry will be gone not later than before the 2009 season anyway. At this point, I would rather go with Hall over Henry.

Good to see Im not the only one who likes Hall. He's a very servicable player. When put in to return kicks, there was definitely an improvement. Maybe Hixons style would have been better suited to competent blocking but we didnt have that really so for our purposes, Hall improved the kicking game when inserted. Plus, he put in good work vs Tennessee and Chicago as a 3rd string RB.

Id like to keep Young, Hall, Alridge and Torain (not really but lets face it, he's not getting cut).

BroncoWave
05-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Good to see Im not the only one who likes Hall. He's a very servicable player. When put in to return kicks, there was definitely an improvement. Maybe Hixons style would have been better suited to competent blocking but we didnt have that really so for our purposes, Hall improved the kicking game when inserted. Plus, he put in good work vs Tennessee and Chicago as a 3rd string RB.

Id like to keep Young, Hall, Alridge and Torain (not really but lets face it, he's not getting cut).

I bet you're rooting for Torain to fail so you can tell everyone "I told ya so" about him.

lex
05-31-2008, 04:09 PM
I bet you're rooting for Torain to fail so you can tell everyone "I told ya so" about him.

Not really. I really dont like wasting picks. Even if he produces it was a waste but if he does produce it will be less of a waste. But if he does well though, its because a lot of guys do well in Denver and not because he is anything great. I know Shanahan has been doting on him and all but, like I said, Shanahan was comparing Mike Bell to Terrell Davis 2 years ago.

And Im actually hoping he shows enough promise to resist drafting a RB next year. Id rather hold off a year. I dont want to end up with someone like Moreno.

turftoad
05-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Not really. I really dont like wasting picks. Even if he produces it was a waste but if he does produce it will be less of a waste. But if he does well though, its because a lot of guys do well in Denver and not because he is anything great. I know Shanahan has been doting on him and all but, like I said, Shanahan was comparing Mike Bell to Terrell Davis 2 years ago.

And Im actually hoping he shows enough promise to resist drafting a RB next year. Id rather hold off a year. I dont want to end up with someone like Moreno.

So if he does well, it's a waste of a 5th round draft pick? :confused:

Simple Jaded
05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
I have a feeling that Henry is a goner (Oh well), and sooner rather than later, if so, it seems that the Broncos are intent on rekindling the Broncos Running Back Myth yet again by going with Young and Torain.

A year from now everybody will be puking out the same old line about how great the Broncos are at finding RB's late in the draft......Three years from now the Broncos will be looking in the bargain bin for another RB.

And Broncos fans will be talking about how the Broncos got another 1st round talent bargain in the 5th round.

What's the over/under on how long it takes for somebody to remind me that Terrell Davis was taken in the 6th round?......

SBboundBRONCOS
05-31-2008, 04:28 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8037

this is what i saw on royal and torain, its not comparing him to anybody shanny is simply just saying that he has been impressed and that torain is learning everything quickly. thats all its saying take it with what you want but i think almost all our backs have an equal chance to start this year as there is no clear favorite right now

and FYI im not proclaiming him the next great steal in bronco history nor am i considering him a lock to start, but i feel there is a good chance if he keeps up the good work :salute:

lex
05-31-2008, 04:34 PM

Yeah. If we need a running back, take one in the 1st or 2nd, if not, theres no need to take Torain in the 5th. We could take someone else later. And if memory serves Moore and Goff were available there.

BroncoWave
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM

So even if he does well it's just because a bunch of people do well in Denver and not because he's any good? :lol:

You kill me lex!

How many yards does he need to get before you will consider it a good pick? 1000? 1500? 2000?

lex
05-31-2008, 04:49 PM
So even if he does well it's just because a bunch of people do well in Denver and not because he's any good? :lol:
Yeah, I really dont think he is THAT great. I think he could be on a tier higher than some but I dont think he is close to TD or Portis. And claiming he is good calls into play the idea of it being a matter of degree. I think Cory Boyd could have been good in Denver. He was taken in the 7th.

BroncoWave
05-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I really dont think he is THAT great. I think he could be on a tier higher than some but I dont think he is close to TD or Portis. And claiming he is good calls into play the idea of it being a matter of degree. I think Cory Boyd could have been good in Denver. He was taken in the 7th.

Well there is no way of knowing until he plays and for you to shoot him down before he ever takes a snap is premature at best.

Lonestar
05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Where did you read that? Please post a link if you can. I would love to read about how well eddy and TORAIN are doing!

JR- no one thinks royal will start day 1. But I promise you, well not promise yet, i need to see him in preseason, but for now i am all but promising this guy will line up as a #2 and be an excellent wr!

yet so many maroons will be all over his jock IF he makes a couple of good catches in preseason..

You know it I know it I will repeat

under 6' WR (with under 5'10" even more so) are becoming a thing of the past. he may wind up being a great little slot guy with a #3 or 4 DB trying to cover him.. that could be a great mismatch..

Lonestar
05-31-2008, 05:57 PM
I have a feeling that Henry is a goner (Oh well), and sooner rather than later, if so, it seems that the Broncos are intent on rekindling the Broncos Running Back Myth yet again by going with Young and Torain.

A year from now everybody will be puking out the same old line about how great the Broncos are at finding RB's late in the draft......Three years from now the Broncos will be looking in the bargain bin for another RB.

And Broncos fans will be talking about how the Broncos got another 1st round talent bargain in the 5th round.

What's the over/under on how long it takes for somebody to remind me that Terrell Davis was taken in the 6th round?......

OR we have lead the league in rushing over the past ten years.. I love that one.. OR that thenry lead the league in rushing after 3 games..

the fanatics love mikey and "his" running game..

BTW a clear and concise post about running backs in DEN..

lex
05-31-2008, 06:01 PM
OR we have lead the league in rushing over the past ten years.. I love that one.. OR that thenry lead the league in rushing after 3 games..

the fanatics love mikey and "his" running game..

BTW a clear and concise post about running backs in DEN..

I love the running game too but I hate how we're willing to settle for next tier talent. We're selling ourselves short with this bargain basement approach. On the other hand, if we draft someone with talent, it might take away from people pointing to how smart Shanahan is. As long as we can make it work with next tier talent, more people talk about how smart Shanahan is.

Lonestar
05-31-2008, 06:02 PM

You kill me lex!

How many yards does he need to get before you will consider it a good pick? 1000? 1500? 2000?

yellow over a 8 year period would be good, red over a 6 year period better..

What some schmuck makes over a two or three year period mean very little to me.. I wasn't to see a long term solution in there.. someone we can count on for more than a half a season or two..

I know that injuries occur here but when you look at the great ones, they seem to avoid them.. Is it conditioning, luck or just having a great OLINE?

lex
05-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Well there is no way of knowing until he plays and for you to shoot him down before he ever takes a snap is premature at best.

If you want to use that as an excuse for taking a position thats fine. Im not really worried about it.

lex
05-31-2008, 06:06 PM
yellow over a 8 year period would be good, red over a 6 year period better..

What some schmuck makes over a two or three year period mean very little to me.. I wasn't to see a long term solution in there.. someone we can count on for more than a half a season or two..

I know that injuries occur here but when you look at the great ones, they seem to avoid them.. Is it conditioning, luck or just having a great OLINE?

Great ones have better balance, strength, speed and vision. And on top of that the great ones know theyre good enough to the point that they know they can afford to live to fight another day whereas lesser RBs dont have this confidence and so they feel like they have to fight for everything.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Stop the Torain hatin'. :cool:

lex
05-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Stop the Torain hatin'. :cool:

Torain is nothing to brag or get all excited about.

shank
05-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Torain is nothing to brag or get all excited about.

lex hath spoken

lex
05-31-2008, 10:05 PM
lex hath spoken

Indeed. Not only that but I can be even more elaborate. For example, it was a garbage pick and its truly amusing to sit back and see the delite of some when Shanahan says such glowing things as "would have been a 1st round pick" and "has looked really good". Seriously, any positive piece of information makes people wet themselves and bristle in denial anytime anyone says anything to the contrary. Its like, "oh wow, I better buy my Torain jersey...Shanahan said he looks really good." And then its rinse and repeat in three years, which, quite honestly, suits me fine because Im already looking forward to the day 2 or 3 years from now when we can dump Torain for a defensive lineman and we can all get our hopes up again that Shanahan will draft a top tier runner.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 10:13 PM

That post didn't make much sense to me either.

lex
05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
That post didn't make much sense to me either.

Follow the bouncing ball. There were other guys who could do as well as Torain that could have been taken later. Just because he does well it doesnt mean it was a good pick because the Torain pick falls in the category that everyone can do well in our system. But he's not elite. And because there were other guys after him that could also do well in our system, its a waste. Its not complicated. Let me know if you need me to explain it again. Or dont. I dont really care either way. Its not like Im seeking your approval.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Follow the bouncing ball. There were other guys who could do as well as Torain that could have been taken later. Just because he does well it doesnt mean it was a good pick because the Torain pick falls in the category that everyone can do well in our system. But he's not elite. And because there were other guys after him that could also do well in our system, its a waste. Its not complicated. Let me know if you need me to explain it again. Or dont. I dont really care either way. Its not like Im seeking your approval.

Two things:

1. What you said about Torain and your justification of why he's a wasted pick is assine.

2. It really doesn't matter to me if you're seeking my approval or not. I wasn't offering it.

broncohead
06-01-2008, 12:33 AM

You don't know how good he is going to do. Just because he didn't "impress" you he's not good? Did you watch all of his college film? I'm sure the coaches did. I'll wait to see how he does on the field before I pass judgement. Everyone starts at ground zero and has to work their way to the top in my book. Even first round picks or elite college players.

lex
06-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Two things:

1. What you said about Torain and your justification of why he's a wasted pick is assine.

2. It really doesn't matter to me if you're seeking my approval or not. I wasn't offering it.

Wow. You can count to two. Congratulations. Im only responding because something jumped out to me: Werent the Assines a people from Mesopotamia?

lex
06-01-2008, 01:34 AM
You don't know how good he is going to do. Just because he didn't "impress" you he's not good? Did you watch all of his college film? I'm sure the coaches did. I'll wait to see how he does on the field before I pass judgement. Everyone starts at ground zero and has to work their way to the top in my book. Even first round picks or elite college players.

Yawn

shank
06-01-2008, 01:43 AM

Yawn

broncohead, don't you know not to question lex's authorita?

WARHORSE
06-01-2008, 02:59 AM
I think Eddie Royal can make a big impact immediately not only as a P and K returner, but as a WR as well. But my idea of 'big impact' would mean he will add a new dimension to the offense. If Marshall, Stokely, Scheff are all healthy, and both Jackson and Colbert make the team with one of them winning the number two spot with Stokely in the slot, Eddie Royal can become a huge factor in four wide sets, or even spelling Stokely. Since we know he can get separation and has the quickness and hands, all we need is him making the right reads at the LOS, and viola..........we have a fourth pass catcher that matches up with the dime and quarter backs..........I think hes gonna prove to be too much for those guys.

atwater27
06-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I love the running game too but I hate how we're willing to settle for next tier talent. We're selling ourselves short with this bargain basement approach. On the other hand, if we draft someone with talent, it might take away from people pointing to how smart Shanahan is. As long as we can make it work with next tier talent, more people talk about how smart Shanahan is.

I guess 5.2 ypc isn't good enough for you?
Selvin is the man. He will be our stud runner this season. He deserves to be the starter and will be/pretty much already is.
We are set at tailback. Henry will probably be cut.

TXBRONC
06-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Selvin is the man. He will be our stud runner this season. He deserves to be the starter and will be/pretty much already is.

Atwater, I don't think Selvin has proven that he can be the stud runner. If can I'm all for it because he's smart and he has good receiving skills to go along with his running ability but as right it sounds like he's neck and neck with Torain.

atwater27
06-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Atwater, I don't think Selvin has proven that he can be the stud runner. If can I'm all for it because he's smart and he has good receiving skills to go along with his running ability but as right it sounds like he's neck and neck with Torain.

Torain hasn't set foot on the field yet. Hard to know what he brings to the table.

Watchthemiddle
06-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I am excited to see what Torain can do. :salute:

TXBRONC
06-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Torain hasn't set foot on the field yet. Hard to know what he brings to the table.

I thought he had been splitting carries with Young in OTAs.

atwater27
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I personally don't count mini camp as anything more than a hi how ya doin football season starts in 3 months get together.
I meant set foot on the field in a game situation. preseason/scrimage/regular season.

TXBRONC
06-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I personally don't count mini camp as anything more than a hi how ya doin football season starts in 3 months get together.
I meant set foot on the field in a game situation. preseason/scrimage/regular season.

Ok I hear ya. I suppose we'll get to see soon enough.

atwater27
06-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I hope he ends up being the sleeper pick of the draft. I just have alot of faith in Selvin and even Andre Hall. Either way, I bet the competition for starter will be the main event of our preseason.

broncohead
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
broncohead, don't you know not to question lex's authorita?

I forgot.

TXBRONC
06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I hope he ends up being the sleeper pick of the draft. I just have alot of faith in Selvin and even Andre Hall. Either way, I bet the competition for starter will be the main event of our preseason.

Agreed and hopefully we come away with one guy who can be Shanahan's proverbial 'stud buffalo'.

Dean
06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
And on top of that the great ones know theyre good enough to the point that they know they can afford to live to fight another day whereas lesser RBs dont have this confidence and so they feel like they have to fight for everything.

Do you honestly believe this or are you just trying to push someone's buttons. :laugh:

The "great ones" don't feel like they have to fight for everything?? :confused:

MOtorboat
06-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Do you honestly believe this or are you just trying to push someone's buttons. :laugh:

Personally, I'd rather have someone who doesn't feel "entitled" to their spot. I'd rather have someone who think they need to earn the spot.

Dean
06-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Personally, I'd rather have someone who doesn't feel "entitled" to their spot. I'd rather have someone who think they need to earn the spot.

I love players with a chip on their shoulder that every play whether in a practice or a game is hell bent on showing everyone present that they are 'all that'. In a RB, I want someone who fights for inches.

I want someone who is not afraid to walk in the "Valley of the Shadow of Death" because they are the baddest man in the valley.

gobroncsnv
06-01-2008, 11:48 PM

But see, it's this attitude you speak of that makes you have to settle for second tier talent like Rod Smith... ;)

atwater27
06-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Did i have inside information? or was it just a lucky guess. The world will never know...:D

TXBRONC
06-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Did i have inside information? or was it just a lucky guess. The world will never know...:D

It was a lucky guess. :laugh:

lex
06-02-2008, 05:26 PM

No they dont always fight for everything to the extent that there is risk exposure. They know theyll get another crack at it.

TXBRONC
06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
No they dont always fight for everything to the extent that there is risk exposure. They know theyll get another crack at it.

I don't think so Lex. :lol:

Simple Jaded
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM

I've been thinking the exact same thing for a while now, I couldn't agree more......

lex
06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think so Lex. :lol:

So? Its not like Im asking you agree or hoping that you do.