PDA

View Full Version : 2010 World Cup

Slick
06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, the Mexicans tied host country South Africa today 1-1. Uruguay and France square off later today at 1:30 CST.

The United States team faces off against England tomorrow at 1:30 CST.

England should be the toughest opponent for the Americans in group play. We have some new young talent on the roster this year. It should be interesting.

My favorites to win it all are Spain and Argentina. The Dutch might make a run as well, and the Germans and Italian teams are always strong.

Brasil is good every year.

T.K.O.
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
i hope the USA beats england and makes the team spend the rest of summer cleaning up the beaches of the gulf !:elefant:

Obi-Wan
06-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I must say I'm on the South Africa Band Wagon this year enjoyed their match against Mexico shame they didn't win though. France on the other hand were awful I expected better from them and Uruguay. England have hyped them self up to much and have put them selfs under pressure and I cant see them getting any further than the Quater Final. I think Argentina are in with a good shout to win this one, but then again you can never tell until you see evreyone play, it should be good!

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Well I must say I'm on the South Africa Band Wagon this year enjoyed their match against Mexio shame they didn't win though. France on the other hand were awful I expected better from them and Uruguay. England have hyped them self up to much and have put them selfs under pressure and I cant see them getting any further than the Quater Final. I think Argentina are in with a good shout to win this one, but then again you can never tell until you see evreyone play, it should be good!

England hype themselves too much up every 4 years :D

broncophan
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I tried to watch the USA/England match today......and just couldn't take it anymore.
IMO.....it is just too boring to watch....and that damn buzzing sound is enough to drive anyone nuts.

I hope the USA does well though.....

sneakers
06-13-2010, 06:13 AM
I watched the first half of Korea vs. whoever yesterday, and I have had my soccer fill for 4 years.

Slick
06-13-2010, 07:11 AM
The US got lucky as hell yesterday The English goalkeeper gave us one. Watching the US try to advance the ball is painful/ I don't care for our style of play at all. We have absolutely no fluidity what so ever. There was about 25 minutes in the second half where it seemed we couldn't advance the ball if we were playing 11 on 5.

I'd love to see us bring in a foreign coach. I'm not a big fan of Bradley.

We should be extremely happy to come away with a point against a superior English squad.

I can tell there's not much interest in this here, but football is the worlds game, not American football.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I have found it poor so far not one team has impressed me.

Saying that I feel that this World Cup will belong to one man. Ronaldo. I would say Rooney but we seem to prefer to give the ball to a donkey called Heskey rather than the white Pele.

Devilspawn
06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Spain has to win it all this year. No smack, they remind me of the Chargers of 06 and this past year, but even more so because they have no business NOT playing in the Finals.

Devilspawn
06-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I can tell there's not much interest in this here, but football is the worlds game, not American football.
We already have three #1 sports. I learned to love it 4 years ago but the rest of my family on my mom's side have been breathing it for life.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-13-2010, 01:31 PM
For every World Cup since I can remember I have fancied Spain but this year just don't see it. I think it is because it's everyones favourite. Saying that I don't think the winners have played as yet. None of the teams who have played look good enough, I know it's the first games but still. Let's see how Germany do here.

Slick
06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
The Spanish team should do well DS. I like Fabregas' game a lot. I wish we had a midfield like theirs.

Watching the US team try to put two passes together is like watching Kyle Orton pick up a third and 8.

...and LUHG, I'm real glad it was Heskey's foot on a few of those and not Rooney's. Good luck the rest of the way.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Same to USA :salute:

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-13-2010, 02:42 PM
This is better by Germany. Harsh red then though.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 05:14 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5282269/ce/us/organizers-consider-silencing-vuvuzelas&cc=5901?ver=us

The soundtrack to the World Cup has been a steady buzz, but the noise could soon be coming to an end.

South Africa's World Cup organizing chief Danny Jordaan said Sunday there is a chance vuvuzelas may be banned from inside stadiums after numerous complaints, BBC News has reported.

Asked whether he'd consider getting rid of the trumpets, he said: "If there are grounds to do so, yes. We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas for his team's poor showing in its opening 0-0 draw with Uruguay.

"We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas," Evra said. "People start playing them from 6 a.m. We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan said organizers are doing everything possible.

"We've tried to get some order," Jordaan said. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult, but we're trying to manage the best we can."

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-13-2010, 05:30 PM
I read about that before. The noise is doing my head in but if they ban them just because people at home on TV don't like them then it would be a disgrace. I hate the way TV rides roughshod of the people who have actually made an effort to go to the game rather than the ones who sit on their arses.

OrangeHoof
06-13-2010, 05:39 PM
We already have three #1 sports.

Football, NASCAR and....? Oh, yeah. The NFL draft. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I read about that before. The noise is doing my head in but if they ban them just because people at home on TV don't like them then it would be a disgrace. I hate the way TV rides roughshod of the people who have actually made an effort to go to the game rather than the ones who sit on their arses.

I don't see anything in the article I posted that said the complaints are coming from people watching on tv. The article states that players have complained.

Kapaibro
06-13-2010, 07:27 PM
If players are finding the noise distracting, and finding it affects their performance then ban the ********!

Us folk in TV land will just be happy too.

Come on NZ! This is the first WC the All Whites have been to since the 80's. We have a great team of young guys who are just stocked to be there, but they really want to do well too. They beat Serbia in a warm up game, so hopefully they can pull off some great upsets!

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5282269/ce/us/organizers-consider-silencing-vuvuzelas?campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5282269&cc=5901&ver=us

The soundtrack to the World Cup has been a steady buzz, but the noise could soon be coming to an end.

South Africa's World Cup organizing chief Danny Jordaan said Sunday there is a chance vuvuzelas may be banned from inside stadiums after numerous complaints, BBC News has reported.

Asked whether he'd consider getting rid of the trumpets, he said: "If there are grounds to do so, yes. We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas for his team's poor showing in its opening 0-0 draw with Uruguay.

"We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas," Evra said. "People start playing them from 6 a.m. We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan said organizers are doing everything possible.

"We've tried to get some order," Jordaan said. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult, but we're trying to manage the best we can."

"I would prefer singing," he said.

The first-round contests introduced most of the world to the vuvuzela, a plastic trumpet carried into the matches and blown on incessantly by thousands of fans. On television, it sounds as if the game is being played before a nest of angry bees.

It's louder at the games than it is on the telecast. ESPN is altering the sound mix on its broadcasts to minimize the crowd noise, network spokesman Bill Hofheimer said. The network has accepted it as part of the atmosphere and has made no complaints about the vuvuzelas, he said.

The sound is driving others crazy, though.

"The constant drone of cheap and tuneless plastic horns is killing the atmosphere of the World Cup," wrote John Leicester, an international sports columnist for The Associated Press. He wrote that it is drowning out the oohs, aahs and cheers that lend excitement to the matches.

Plainly, many of the fans take pride in the tradition.

A website informing visitors about South Africa, www.safrica.info, describes the vuvuzelas as "a beautiful noise for the beautiful game."

Despite the noise the World Cup is causing quite a buzz on U.S. television.

Preliminary estimates indicate the quadrennial soccer tournament is off to a fast start with viewers, even with the odd, horn-blowing soundtrack that ESPN has sought to minimize on its broadcasts.

Saturday's first-round tie by the U.S. and English teams was seen by an estimated 13 million on ESPN, the Nielsen Co. said on Sunday. It was the nation's most-watched soccer telecast since the 2006 World Cup final between Italy and France, and the most-watched involving the U.S. men's national team since 1994.

San Diego, San Francisco and Las Vegas were the cities most interested in the game, according to the Nielsen figures.

A viewership estimate for the U.S.-England game on the Spanish-speaking Univision network was not immediately available.

An estimated 5.4 million people in the U.S. watched the tournament's first game Friday between Mexico and the South African home team on Univision, Nielsen said. ESPN's telecast of that game had 2.9 million viewers.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
World Cup organiser considers vuvuzela ban after TV complaints

Fifa says it will take action if it finds grounds to do so

Their cacophonous din has so far been a soundtrack for the World Cup, to the delight of some and the profound annoyance of others. But organisers said that the vuvuzela, one of the most visible and certainly most audible motifs of the tournament's opening weekend, could yet be banned from inside stadiums.

Organising committee chief executive Danny Jordaan said he would continue to monitor their use and that a ban could be enforced if there were "grounds to do so".

Fifa and organisers have already said that they will ban the instrument if any are thrown onto the pitch or used as a weapon and urged fans not to blow them during national anthems.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action. We've tried to get some order. We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can," he told the BBC.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

The BBC and ITV have received complaints from viewers about the background noise and, while both have said they will monitor the situation, they have also made the point that it is important to reflect the atmosphere of the tournament.

Fifa has previously shrugged off complaints from broadcasters, players and coaches about the noise from the plastic horns that are being sold on every street corner in South African host cities.

Following last year's Confederations Cup, there were complaints from coaches, players and broadcasters about the noise. But Fifa said that the horns formed part of the unique African atmosphere of the tournament and refused to ban them.

But Jordaan himself, who battled for 16 years to bring the World Cup to South Africa, said he would prefer the 10 stadiums hosting the World Cup to ring to the sound of singing and dancing than the drone of the vuvuzela.

"I would prefer singing. It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing," he said.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/world-cup-vuvuzela-ban-tv-complaints

I love Paddy Evra, he's probably my favourite United player at this moment but he knows better than to blame horns no matter how tacky they are. What would banning them in the ground do if he is talking about a lack of sleep because they are at it at 6am? As for can't hear each other on the pitch that is a ready made excuse if ever I've heard (or should that be not heard) one. If a player/team complained about not being able to hear because of singing they would be rightly laughed at, I don't see the difference, the fans are making a noise, it's football not tennis.

It is very annoying, there is no question about that, I hate them. But it is the South Africans way off creating an atmosphere. It's nothing new, the Conferation Cup was the same last year. Just because it isn't to everyone's taste doesn't mean it isn't an atsmosphere.

Kapaibro
06-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Go New Zealand! I hope we play a damned good game against Slovakia.
I don't even mind if we lose, just as long as we don't get mauled like Australia did!

Our first World Cup game in 28 years!

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2010, 11:15 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5287552/ce/us/bbc-mulls-vuvuzela-free-option-viewers&cc=5901?ver=us

JOHANNESBURG -- TV viewers can take out their earplugs -- the vuvuzelas are going to have a bit less buzz.

Host Broadcast Services, the company that provides the broadcast feed for the World Cup, said Tuesday it has doubled its audio filters to reduce the constant blaring buzz of vuvuzelas.

TV viewers around the globe have complained that the swarm-of-bees sound from the plastic horns is stinging their ears.

"Despite HBS' core philosophy, which is to provide 'realistic' host broadcast coverage reflecting the ambience in the stadiums, additional audio filtering has been implemented," according to the daily newsletter given to rightsholders Tuesday.

The filters also will minimize other crowd noise in the stadiums, such as chants and cheers.

Several broadcasters already had taken their own measures to reduce the drone. French broadcaster TF1 changed its microphones after the opening match between Mexico and host South Africa, replacing them with mics commentators hold close to their mouths to better filter sound.

The BBC, which had received 545 complaints from viewers as of Tuesday morning, said it is considering giving viewers the option of muting ambient noise while maintaining game commentary through its "red button" digital service. Viewers would push a red button on their remote controls to receive the quieter broadcast on a separate channel.

"We have already taken steps to minimize the noise and are continuing to monitor the situation," the BBC said in a statement. "If the vuvuzela continues to impact on audience enjoyment, we will look at what other options we can take to reduce the volume further."

The noise of the vuvuzelas has been the talk of the World Cup, so much so that British bookmaker William Hill is now taking bets on whether the horns will be banned at English Premier League stadiums next season.

"The vuvuzela certainly polarizes opinion, and we suspect that individual clubs will want to put a rule in place to enable them to ban them should they threaten to become widespread," Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe said.

Hill's also is taking bets that the vuvuzelas will be banned by the end of the World Cup. But FIFA president Sepp Blatter has strongly backed the use of the horns since they were introduced to the wider football world at the Confederations Cup test event in South Africa exactly a year ago, and he said again Monday they're here to stay.

The vuvuzelas are something uniquely African, and Blatter said he is not about to ban the music traditions of fans in their own country.

Several players said the din of the horns is having an impact on the field. Netherlands striker Robin van Persie avoided a second yellow card -- and a ban from the next game -- by blaming the vuvuzelas for failing to hear an offsides whistle.

Argentina striker Carlos Tevez said the din of vuvuzelas makes it hard for players to communicate with each other on the field.

"Those sirens or trumpets -- I don't know what they are -- make it very difficult to speak on the field," Tevez said after Argentina's training session Tuesday at the University of Pretoria. "You have to shout and sometimes you run out of breath, you get a bit more tired. They are extremely bothersome."

But van Persie said he doesn't want to see vuvuzelas banned.

"I think we have to respect it, because we are in South Africa, and we need to respect where we are," he said. "This is their tradition. This belongs to them."

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I'll tell you what, I'd rather listen to the horns than the commentators 95% of the time. Can we ban them instead?

Kapaibro
06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Yay!!!!

New Zealand gets its first World Cup points ever!

1:1 draw with Slovakia! Good job lads!

milehigh
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Yay!!!!

New Zealand gets its first World Cup points ever!

1:1 draw with Slovakia! Good job lads!

What a goal!!! The third minute of stoppage time, clutch.

sneakers
06-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kapaibro
06-16-2010, 04:44 AM
What a goal!!! The third minute of stoppage time, clutch.

The bloody Australian press are trying to snag our lads!

Sydney Morning Herald had the headline

"Australasia 1: Slovakia 1"

Bloody Ozzies. Just because their team got mauled by Germany, they start sniffing around our lads!

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I received a good text today.

Rob Green has trained today and in 3 hours he had 4000 shots fired at him and he did not concede a single goal. Tomorrow, him and Heskey will train with the rest of the squad.

:drum:

Slick
06-16-2010, 05:16 PM
The red card on the South African goal keeper was a horrible call. A penalty yes, a red card, no.

Diego Forlan played good today. I'm happy for Uruguay.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree, red card was harsh.

Happy for Diego though. It's a shame it didn't work out for him at United although he is still really liked by United fans.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
06-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Such a pathetic dive.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5018/dive1.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9229/dive2.jpg

South Africa and Côte d'Ivoire are my teams, it's too bad that RSA is going to be out early.

FanInAZ
06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
English media sparks 'controversy' over Casillas' reporter WAG
By Brooks Peck

Certain English tabloids jumped at the chance to blame the goof-up by their country's goalkeeper, Robert Green, on his love life, so to keep that salacious paper-selling trend going, they're jumping at the chance to spread blame for Spain's shocking loss to Switzerland on goalkeeper Iker Casillas' WAG and match reporter, Sara Carbonero (right).

[Photos: 'WAGs': Wives and girlfriends of football stars]

According to English media outlets from the Guardian to the BBC, mysteriously unnamed Spaniards are blaming Carbonero - who was named the "sexiest reporter in the world" by FHM - for distracting Casillas during the match. And what evidence do the have? Well, she reported from right behind his position in goal before the match and interviewed him straight after the loss. This somehow proves the thought of her overwhelmed him to the point of allowing the losing goal, possibly while seeing tiny hearts bubble up right before his eyes.

In that post-match interview, she asked her boyfriend "how did you muck that up?" in reference to the sloppy-yet-decisive goal. Casillas responded by saying:

"I don't know what to say. I don't know if this defeat will have consequences. The dressing room is fed up."

The whole thing looked like a normal, forgettable post-match interview outside of the odd coincidence of the couple being romantically involved (they met at the Confederations Cup last summer). But somehow her presence has been turned into bizarre whispers of blame.

When asked about her possible mind-controlling powers over one of the world's best goalkeepers, Carbonero brushed it off:

"Can I destabilize the team? I think it is nonsense."

But that kind of rational dismissal hasn't stopped the English press from running with stories of Spanish hatred for her even though, you know, there really isn't any. Major Spanish sports site AS.com pins the controversy entirely on "English sensationalism" and Publico.es echos that sentiment by saying it's the English who are blaming Carbonero.

At this rate, anyone who is or ever has been romantically involved with a World Cup goalkeeper should brace for their turn at being absurdly associated with blame for whatever happens on the pitch.

Just don't expect equal praise for exceptional performances.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/English-spark-controversy-over-Casillas-repor?urn=sow,249228

Buff
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Wtf?

underrated29
06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Isnt USA playing right now?

Anyone know how we are doing.

Buff
06-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Isnt USA playing right now?

Anyone know how we are doing.

Getting our asses kicked by a country the size of New Jersey.

Buff
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Bam! Tie Game!

Buff
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
The ref just cost us the game.

underrated29
06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Great!

Testes- what happened now.?

Gamechanger
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
ROFLLLLLLLLL

that African ref trolled the hell out of them

NightTrainLayne
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
English media sparks 'controversy' over Casillas' reporter WAG
By Brooks Peck

Certain English tabloids jumped at the chance to blame the goof-up by their country's goalkeeper, Robert Green, on his love life, so to keep that salacious paper-selling trend going, they're jumping at the chance to spread blame for Spain's shocking loss to Switzerland on goalkeeper Iker Casillas' WAG and match reporter, Sara Carbonero (right).

[Photos: 'WAGs': Wives and girlfriends of football stars]

According to English media outlets from the Guardian to the BBC, mysteriously unnamed Spaniards are blaming Carbonero - who was named the "sexiest reporter in the world" by FHM - for distracting Casillas during the match. And what evidence do the have? Well, she reported from right behind his position in goal before the match and interviewed him straight after the loss. This somehow proves the thought of her overwhelmed him to the point of allowing the losing goal, possibly while seeing tiny hearts bubble up right before his eyes.

In that post-match interview, she asked her boyfriend "how did you muck that up?" in reference to the sloppy-yet-decisive goal. Casillas responded by saying:

"I don't know what to say. I don't know if this defeat will have consequences. The dressing room is fed up."

The whole thing looked like a normal, forgettable post-match interview outside of the odd coincidence of the couple being romantically involved (they met at the Confederations Cup last summer). But somehow her presence has been turned into bizarre whispers of blame.

When asked about her possible mind-controlling powers over one of the world's best goalkeepers, Carbonero brushed it off:

"Can I destabilize the team? I think it is nonsense."

But that kind of rational dismissal hasn't stopped the English press from running with stories of Spanish hatred for her even though, you know, there really isn't any. Major Spanish sports site AS.com pins the controversy entirely on "English sensationalism" and Publico.es echos that sentiment by saying it's the English who are blaming Carbonero.

At this rate, anyone who is or ever has been romantically involved with a World Cup goalkeeper should brace for their turn at being absurdly associated with blame for whatever happens on the pitch.

Just don't expect equal praise for exceptional performances.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/English-spark-controversy-over-Casillas-repor?urn=sow,249228

I bet she has hairy arm-pits.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
The ref just cost us the game.

With the US not winning, but also not losing, either game, are they still in, or are they now out of the World Cup? Obviously, I have no idea how this all works.

Gamechanger
06-18-2010, 12:25 PM
i think the US has to win or possibly tie next week and hope england either ties or loses today
i think

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-18-2010, 03:00 PM
:bored:

broncophan
06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
With the US not winning, but also not losing, either game, are they still in, or are they now out of the World Cup? Obviously, I have no idea how this all works.

After watching the USA game today....the announcers were saying we really need for the Eng/Alg game to end in a tie......not sure what other scenarios we would need if a tie would not happen.......and right now it is 0-0 at the 80 minute mark.:D

Denver Native (Carol)
06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15325642

JOHANNESBURG—A second-half comeback. A furious rally. It hardly makes up for a U.S. win that was taken away. Down two goals and heading toward an abrupt end to their World Cup, the Americans fought back for a 2-2 draw with Slovenia—a tie the U.S. claimed should have been a win.

Landon Donovan scored early in the second half, and Michael Bradley tied it in the 82nd minute Friday to keep alive the Americans' chances of advancing. Those chances would have been much greater had Maurice Edu's goal off a free kick not been disallowed by the referee.

"I'm a little gutted to be honest," Donovan said. "I don't know how they stole that last goal from us. I'm not sure what the call was. He (the referee) wouldn't tell us what the call was."

Second-half sub Edu appeared to put the U.S. ahead in the 86th minute, poking in a close-range shot after Jozy Altidore headed Donovan's free kick to him. But the goal was waved off by referee Koman Couilibaly of Mali, apparently for a foul before Edu got the ball.

"We asked the ref many times what it was or who it was on and he wouldn't or couldn't explain it," Donovan said. "I don't know what to think of the call because I didn't see any foul, just a normal free kick and a goal."

Slovenia, the smallest of the 32 nations in the tournament, took a 2-0 lead when Valter Birsa caught goalkeeper Tim Howard flat-footed to score in the 13th minute and Zlatan Ljubijankic scored on a counterattack in the 42nd.

Donovan scored in the 48th minute and Michael Bradley, son of U.S. coach Bob Bradley, tied the score in the 82nd.

"My guess is there's not many teams in this tournament that could have done what we did," Donovan said.

Bradley scored when Jozy Altidore's header fell in the middle of the penalty area. Running at full speed, Bradley caught up to it just in front of the net and tapped it over Slovenia goalkeeper Samir Handanovic's head.

"This team still understands how to fight for 90 minutes," the U.S. coach said. "This is something we've seen time and time again."

The United States never has won a World Cup game in which it has trailed.

Slovenia (1-0-1) leads Group C with four points and would have qualified for the second round with a win.

"We lost our concentration in the second half and the Americans benefited from that," Slovenia coach Matjaz Kek said. "We were ahead of the United States but we didn't overcome this pressure."

The U.S. (0-0-2) is second with two points, followed by England (0-0-1) with one point, pending its match against Algeria (0-1) in Cape Town later Friday. The top two teams in the group advance.

"We know we're good enough to play against a team like that," Donovan said. "We can't keep putting ourselves in holes like that. We've got one more chance against Algeria, and we're still alive."

A pro-U.S. crowd dressed in red, white and blue came to cheer the Americans, who entered with an 0-5 record against Eastern European nations in World Cup play.

It was a blustery 55 degrees at gametime in Ellis Park, where the U.S. lost to Brazil 3-2 in last June's Confederations Cup final after taking a two-goal lead into halftime.

Slovenia had two shots on goal in the first half and scored on both.

Birsa put the Green Dragons ahead when the American defense gave him yards of space. His left-footed shot from 30 yards went in without any attempt to stop it by Howard, who froze and may have been screened.

Jose Torres, who replaced Ricardo Clark in the one change among American starters, nearly tied it in the 37th minute with a free kick from the side of the penalty area that was parried out of play by Handanovic.

Robbie Findley got a yellow card in the 40th minute for a hand ball in Slovenia's penalty area, an automatic suspension for the Algeria match because he also was cautioned against England.

The U.S. nearly tied it a minute later when Clint Dempsey crossed toward Donovan inside the 6-yard box. But as Donovan was about to redirect the ball in, Miso Brecko slid in and knocked the ball away. Donovan skidded into the goal without the ball, and several American players put their hands on their heads in frustration.

Slovenia quickly countered, Ljubijankic got behind Jay DeMerit to come in alone on Howard and slid the ball under the goalkeeper.

Benny Feilhaber and Maurice Edu entered at the start of the second half for Findley and Torres, with Dempsey pushing up to forward. The U.S. quickly got a goal back.

Donovan took a pass down the right flank from Steve Cherundolo, patiently took three touches and from an extreme close-in angle put the ball over Handanovic into the roof of the net. With his 43rd goal, Donovan extended his American scoring record.

Donovan's 22-yard free kick in the 70th bounced off the wall into the middle, but Altidore's 12-yard shot went right at Handanovic.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Well that was the worst 90 minutes I've seen this decade. I wouldn't worry about the US qualifying. Beat Algeria and you are through. Any half decent team should be able to do that quite easy. Glad I get my kicks out of my club rather than my country :D

Expect the locals up and down England to be discussing our shortfalls in a diginified English style hooligan manner tonight.

Rooney has just said something walking of the pitch about the England fans booing. Couldn't quite hear what he was saying, it wasn't exactly complimentary, I'm sure it will be headline news and he will be the villian of this years failure.

Come home Wayne son, tell England to do one, the Red Army is waiting you with open arms.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I keep rewinding it and it sounds like "Nice to see your home fans booing you, we've got loyal supporters"

That will not go down to well with the Ingerlunders :beer:

Broncolingus
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
USA and England both have yet to win (or lose for that matter) a game...

...weird...

Slick
06-19-2010, 10:20 AM
6yKMyHXFyls&feature=related

Absolute bullshit. This is a goal....

Denver Native (Carol)
06-19-2010, 10:54 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5304289/ce/us/fifa-ax-us-slovenia-ref-wc?cc=5901&ver=us

Malian referee Koman Coulibaly, criticized for disallowing a potentially U.S.-winning goal off a free kick in Friday's U.S.-Slovenia World Cup clash, may be dropped by FIFA for the rest of the World Cup, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Citing a FIFA source, the report says Coulibaly is poised to face an expedited performance review from the refereeing committee of world football's governing body. Officials plan to review footage on Saturday from the Group C, 2-2 draw to evaluate Coulibaly's performance after several U.S. players blasted his handling of the match, Yahoo said.

Second-half sub Maurice Edu appeared to put the U.S. ahead in the 86th minute, poking in a close-range shot after Landon Donovan's free kick to him. But the goal was waved off by Couilibaly, though it was not clear on whom the foul was called or what the foul was.

After the match, Donovan said he asked the referee what the call was but did not get an answer.

"We asked the ref many times what it was or who it was on and he wouldn't or couldn't explain it," Donovan said. "I don't know what to think of the call because I didn't see any foul, just a normal free kick and a goal."

Referees must submit a written report to FIFA after each match, but it is not specified in the rule that he must fully explain a ruling such as this.

FIFA refereeing rules state: "The referee shall hand over to the FIFA general coordinator a match report at the stadium immediately after the match. On the report form the referee shall note all occurrences such as misconduct of players leading to caution or expulsion, unsporting behavior by supporters and/or by officials or any other person acting on behalf of an association at the match and any other incident happening before, during and after the match in as much detail as possible."

Coulibaly could still appear, according to the source, as a line judge or other supporting role, but is unlikely to be given assignments to referee further matches.

"If he is found to have made a serious mistake, especially one that affected the outcome, then he would be highly unlikely to play any further part in the tournament," Yahoo quoted the source as saying. "FIFA is determined to keep refereeing standards high and does not want high-profile mistakes."

The controversial call comes four years after the 2006 finals in Germany where the refereeing was roundly condemned after a spate of controversies.

It led to FIFA setting up a special referee's assistance program to better train top officials for the 2010 finals.

Among those refereeing in South Africa are Benito Archundia of Mexico, who handled the 2006 semifinal between Germany and Italy, and Italian Roberto Rosetti, who also officiated the Euro 2008 final in Vienna.

The 39-year-old Coulibaly has been officiating in African soccer competitions for 17 years and called the final of the African Cup of Nations between Ghana and Egypt earlier this year.

For its part, the U.S. is moving on, with no way to appeal the disallowed goal. "There is no process for appeals for a decision on the field," team spokesman Michael Kammarman said Saturday. "We have not asked for any official comment from FIFA in regards to the call."

Replays show that more Slovenes were holding Americans than vice versa. Aleksandar Radosavljevic held Michael Bradley in a bear hug,

Bradley had his own theory: Coulibaly might have regretted his decision to award the free kick. Valter Birsa had been called or a foul on Steve Cherundolo.

"I think it's a good goal, first. I think the only things really that could be called would be penalty kicks for us," coach Bob Bradley said. "There are times when a referee, for whatever reason, blows a foul and now thinks either he didn't make the correct call on the foul or from a previous play, and then literally as soon as the free kick's taken, he blows his whistle, OK?

"So you can speculate all you want about which guy and everything, I think it's a waste of time. All right? I think there was nothing there. I think it's a good goal. And that's that."

The U.S. team has been besieged with questions why soccer referees don't publicly explain controversial decisions, as umpires and referees do in U.S. sports.

"We're all accustomed to the fact that if it's an NFL playoff game and there's a call that's in question, there will be a statement by the league from the referees, but FIFA operates differently," Bradley said. "There are some aspects of it that are not made 100 percent clear. That seems to add to the discussion about the game. So from our end we get used to that. And we all have friends and family who ask us the same questions that most of you ask, and you end up saying that's just how it is sometimes, and then you move on and you get ready for the next game."

The U.S. would advance from the group phase if it beats Algeria on Wednesday or even with a tie as long as England loses to Slovenia. If the U.S. and England both draw, the Americans would advance if they maintain their goal advantage over the English, currently 3-1.

But if England draws and scores two more goals than the U.S. does in the final game, the United States and England would finish even on all tiebreakers. FIFA would conduct a drawing of lots -- it's unclear whether that means a coin flip or another method -- to determine which team goes to the second round.

The only time lots were used in a World Cup was in 1990, when the format was slightly different and 24 teams competed. Both Ireland and the Netherlands advanced with exactly the same results, and FIFA used lots to determine the Irish would finish second in Group F and the Dutch would be third.

In the next round, the Netherlands lost to eventual champion Germany, while Ireland won a shootout over Romania to get to the quarterfinals, where it fell to host Italy.

"I don't think anyone really wants that, to be honest" defender Jay DeMerit said. "I think as players and as a team and for fans, it should never really come down to things like that, but unfortunately that's the rules we live by. There's still a lot of soccer to be played between all four teams. And like I said, it will be very interesting to find out how the chips fall. And now we just have to make sure that we take care of things of our end and hope that it doesn't come to something like that."

AlWilsonizKING
06-19-2010, 12:47 PM
6yKMyHXFyls&feature=related

Absolute bullshit. This is a goal....

Funny to see how many fouls there were going on during that play that should have been called on the other team.....

PEACE!!!

Kapaibro
06-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Well done to the All Whites!

New Zealand 1:Italy 1

The lads did themselves proud amongst diving Italians!

Slick
06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Big game today against Algeria. I'm nervous.

Dreadnought
06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
WTH happened to the French? Looks like they had a meltdown of epic proportions. Should their coach invest in a disguise and a quiet home in Paraguay?

BMF Bronco
06-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow, way to go Donovan! That was ONE INTENSE ASS GAME!!!!

broncophan
06-23-2010, 11:13 AM
U.s.a.!!!!!!!!!!!!

MasterShake
06-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Wow, way to go Donovan! That was ONE INTENSE ASS GAME!!!!

I listened and watched it via Justin TV on my headphones through my iPhone. When they got that goal I made this weird loud then suddenly quiet sound due to the fact that I'm at work. :lol:

I need to get into soccer more. I see about 4 Rapids games a year and its really fun, and the US in the World Cup is some of the best sports I've seen in a while.

BMF Bronco
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I listened and watched it via Justin TV on my headphones through my iPhone. When they got that goal I made this weird loud then suddenly quiet sound due to the fact that I'm at work. :lol:

I need to get into soccer more. I see about 4 Rapids games a year and its really fun, and the US in the World Cup is some of the best sports I've seen in a while.

Hahhaa, I just posted something very similar to this on the OM, I was sitting in my office listening to it on ESPN.com and when Donovan scored I jumped up and cheered, then got the "WTF?!" looks coming from around the corner into my office. hehehe

Slick
06-23-2010, 04:01 PM
WTH happened to the French? Looks like they had a meltdown of epic proportions. Should their coach invest in a disguise and a quiet home in Paraguay?

They played horrible. They didn't even really deserve to be in the tournament. They qualified in their very last match leading up to the Cup on a hand ball by Theirry Henry.

LOL, their coach may need to do just that.

In other news, the USA will face off against Ghana at 1:30 central time on Saturday. They're a good team. It will be a tough test. By finishing first in our group we avoided playing Germany. I'd much rather face Ghana then the Germans.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
You left that late today. You have the much easier route now. We have to beat Germany then probably Argentina in the quarters, then it could Spain or Portugal in the semis then Brazil in the final.

Well if you want to be the best you have to beat the best and we couldn't beat Algeria :couch:

One positive (well two actually) is that we are not as bad as France. The second one is seeing the Orish still complaining about being cheated. :laugh: Poetic justice in my eyes seeing as they had been laughing at this for 23 and a half years

http://www.soccerjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/diego-maradona-hand-of-god1.jpg

Scotland's turn next, if they ever get in a position that they're in a game worth cheating in that is.

Jaws
06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Wales to win the World Cup!

Oops, just remembered we're not there!

Haven't been there for nearly fifty years!

Wd England for finally turning up and giving the fans who travelled out there something for their money.

Wd USA for topping the group.

OrangeHoof
06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Probably a lot of Italians jumping off tall buildings today. They take their soccer very seriously and not making it into the second round is like telling their countrymen that they've run out of marinara sauce.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Wales to win the World Cup!

Oops, just remembered we're not there!

Haven't been there for nearly fifty years!

Wd England for finally turning up and giving the fans who travelled out there something for their money.

Wd USA for topping the group.

I would love Wales to qualify for the World Cup. Saying that I would love Scotland and N Ireland to get there as well, imagine a group with England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland :boxing: I know it would never happen with the way the seeding works but still a great thought. Especially if Ireland were at home crying.

Probably a lot of Italians jumping off tall buildings today. They take their soccer very seriously and not making it into the second round is like telling their countrymen that they've run out of marinara sauce.

There wont be many happy chappys in Italia tonight thats for sure. That was a shocker today. Couldn't believe it.

Kapaibro
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Well done to the All Whites! You've done New Zealand proud!

Unbeaten, 3 points, and ahead of Italy in Pool play!

Best World cup ever!

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Thought you guys might enjoy this. I love watching stuff like this (unless it's Liverpool or city fans or against United of course :D )

jbn3rOPmR9w

Look carefully and you can see where the cameraman in the second section was looking when the goal went in.

BMF Bronco
06-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Thought you guys might enjoy this. I love watching stuff like this (unless it's Liverpool or city fans or against United of course :D )

jbn3rOPmR9w

Look carefully and you can see where the cameraman in the second section was looking when the goal went in.

That's such an awesome video, friggin got the chills all over again. I was watching it here in my office and I was like the dude in Arkansas! :D

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I love the sudden burst of celebration. It's even better when you think the chance has gone then all of sudden your team score, just like the goal just scored.

Without wanting to go off topic, this is brilliant (even though I am biased :D )

I was in this pub for the Manchester derby in 2008 when Wayne Rooney scores. I love the way everyone just balloons. :elefant:

hp4_WJ5Cs4Q

OrangeHoof
06-25-2010, 06:05 PM

jbn3rOPmR9w

Thanks for the vid. Seems really childish, though. The U.S. wins a game to advance to the round of 16 and this is how we respond? Do you think in Brazil or Germany they would go nuts like that in the pre- pre- quarterfinals?

Sure. I watched but I didn't do so much as a fist-pump. We beat some Muslim country that had been begging us to score on them all game. It's like the Broncos beating the Chiefs in October on a Hail Mary - it's nice but it certainly not worth making a huge deal out of. We'll get clocked in the next round or two and, after that, nobody will even remember this happened.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the vid. Seems really childish, though. The U.S. wins a game to advance to the round of 16 and this is how we respond? Do you think in Brazil or Germany they would go nuts like that in the pre- pre- quarterfinals?

Sure. I watched but I didn't do so much as a fist-pump. We beat some Muslim country that had been begging us to score on them all game. It's like the Broncos beating the Chiefs in October on a Hail Mary - it's nice but it certainly not worth making a huge deal out of. We'll get clocked in the next round or two and, after that, nobody will even remember this happened.

I think the Germans, Brazilians, Italians, English, French and any other of the football powerhouses would go just as mental if not more.

It was more than a goal, USA were seconds away from going out of the World Cup. Honestly you would get that reaction anywhere in the world in those circumstances. Just like Italy would have ballooned had they got an equaliser against Slovakia which meant they would still be in the World Cup. Seriously don't understate your achievement, no one expects you to win it so just enjoy it and be happy that you knocked us of the top spot in our group.

I understand what you are saying about people not remembering it at a later date, most Americans probably won't but for those in that video I reckon they'll remember it for a long time.

Northman
06-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Very sloppy of the US on defense. I dont think the way things are going they can get back to tying it up but they have some time.

broncophan
06-26-2010, 04:32 PM
oh well.....who gives a shit about soccer anyhow......:(

elsid13
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I want to nuke Ghana, who with me????

OrangeHoof
06-26-2010, 06:13 PM

I keep in mind that America's top athletes are playing basketball or football, not a sissy game like soccer. We have to import soccer players (or the sons of imports) to even qualify for this thing because ours are trying to make the NBA or the NFL.

Think about it. In almost any other country, Reggie Bush would have been raised to run through defenders on a soccer pitch rather than a football field. Lebron would have learned to beat Brits and Brazilians instead of Brothas and Slavs while making gravity-defying plays. But they didn't because they were born American and trained to excel at other sports.

We're sending our third-rate athletes onto the pitch every four years, not the best our country can offer like most other nations.

Kapaibro
06-26-2010, 09:07 PM
I keep in mind that America's top athletes are playing basketball or football, not a sissy game like soccer. We have to import soccer players (or the sons of imports) to even qualify for this thing because ours are trying to make the NBA or the NFL.

Think about it. In almost any other country, Reggie Bush would have been raised to run through defenders on a soccer pitch rather than a football field. Lebron would have learned to beat Brits and Brazilians instead of Brothas and Slavs while making gravity-defying plays. But they didn't because they were born American and trained to excel at other sports.

We're sending our third-rate athletes onto the pitch every four years, not the best our country can offer like most other nations.

Hell, we only have 4 million people all up. Our whole team including coaches earns less than the Italian Goalie. Here in NZ it's all about rugby, or cricket. While soccer has more players, rugby is the glamour sport here.
Ryan Nelsen is the only player we have currently who is playing near the top level.
Before him, it was Wynton Rufer back in the 90's.

Jaws
06-27-2010, 04:39 AM
Let England go through today please God,so we don't have the press wailing all week long and so that they live Murray alone to get along with it quietly and win Wimbledon while no one is watching!

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-27-2010, 06:22 AM
:D

I bet most people say that when there team gets knocked out. Probably hear it up and down England today :D

A stereotypical American response if ever there was one, even includes that it is a sissy sport :D. Go on, I'll bite, amuse me, how is it a sissy sport? Is it because you get called for a foul if you even touch the other player, oh no that's basketball. Is it because you can't use your hands? Well it is called football. Maybe it's because the players and coaches/managers can stop the clock when they want to change their tactics or make unlimited subs, oh no wait you can't do that in football. Is it because footballers need protection on every part of their body.........

I'll stop now after giving you half the stereotypical British response when we hear our game being called a sissy sport.

The rest of your post is probably true, maybe if you got rid off the attitude you shown though you could actually begin to have a impact that a country of your size should have. I'm not suggesting for one moment that "soccer" should overtake football, baseball, basketball or hockey but in a country that has over 300m people there is more than enough people to satisfy all 5 sports. You have the facilities to train footballers a lot more than say Argentina, you could have the stadiums the publicity, if you wanted you could get the worlds best players, best coaches.

All of the above could be made possible but it has to start in peoples minds across the country of encouraging it rather than belittle it, people aren't going to invest serioss $$ into something that people aren't going to support. The MLS is a baby compared to what it should be. I could be wrong but I think it is heading in the right direction slowly but surely each year, maybe in a few years when America really starts taking it seriously it wont be a sissy sport anymore.

For now keep calling it what you want, the longer it takes you to wake up the longer the world game has a sleeping giant and one less country to worry about in their aim to become World Champions.

Let England go through today please God,so we don't have the press wailing all week long and so that they live Murray alone to get along with it quietly and win Wimbledon while no one is watching!

Regardless of whether England win or lose, I'll have enough energy to raise a cheer when Murray get's knocked out. I've never seen such a bitter sportman than him. Plus the legend that is Fred Perry (from Greater Manchester of course :salute:) is the last Brit to win anything at tennis and until another Mancunian arrives on the scene is how it should stay. :lol:

EDIT: Forgot to say, unlucky US last night, I was rooting for you. Two sloppy goals conceded. Good World Cup for you guys though.

broncophan
06-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Yes.....I said "who gives a shit about soccer anyhow".....because my country's team lost yesterday.....honestly....I hate soccer......doesn't mean I don't want my country to beat any other country......doesn't matter what the sport is.I did try to at least put myself through the misery of watching the Cup....until the boredom and the damn buzzing sound became too much to stomach.

This country's 5th or 6th favorite is soccer.....and for them to make it to the round of 16 is still pretty good.Soccer has a long....long....way to go here though.Living here in Ohio.....several years ago "Crew Stadium" was built in Columbus, Ohio.....this was the first stadium in the country to be built for soccer purposes only......and each season when I see the highlights on local sports there are as many empty seats as seats that are filled.....and Columbus has a strong team just about every year..............

this is just an example.....but there are no "soccer towns"....here in this country.....there are plenty of hockey, baseball,football, and basketball towns......I know I can't say that about any other country......

Best of luck to the remaining teams, and their fans left in the world cup .....

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Yes.....I said "who gives a shit about soccer anyhow".....because my country's team lost yesterday.....honestly....I hate soccer......doesn't mean I don't want my country to beat any other country......doesn't matter what the sport is.I did try to at least put myself through the misery of watching the Cup....until the boredom and the damn buzzing sound became too much to stomach.

This country's 5th or 6th favorite is soccer.....and for them to make it to the round of 16 is still pretty good.Soccer has a long....long....way to go here though.Living here in Ohio.....several years ago "Crew Stadium" was built in Columbus, Ohio.....this was the first stadium in the country to be built for soccer purposes only......and each season when I see the highlights on local sports there are as many empty seats as seats that are filled.....and Columbus has a strong team just about every year..............

this is just an example.....but there are no "soccer towns"....here in this country.....there are plenty of hockey, baseball,football, and basketball towns......I know I can't say that about any other country......

Best of luck to the remaining teams, and their fans left in the world cup .....

I agree and understand your point. Soccer (God I hate using that word) does indeed have a lot of catching up to do and it wont happen overnight. Americans in general have to change their mentality before you can become truely successful at this game. A lot of people don't want to change their mind and I can understand that, it's the same here with football, I tell people I like the NFL and 9 out of 10 stare at me in disbelief as they can't understand why an English person would enjoy a sport "where poofs have to wear helmets" in a similar narrow minded opinion of a sport that they don't truly understand (vice versa of what Orangehoof said earlier). What I was saying though that if you (as in America in general not you) start opening up your eyes to the possibilty that it is a very good sport and one that you could do well, very well, at then the infrastructure is already in place. It isn't about making soccer become the number one sport in America it's about your country being the best that it can in every sport.

The MLS is growing each year with the Philadelphia Union joining and more teams expecting to join over the next couple of years so it obviously gaining popularity. Like everyother country on the planet the more successful your national team is the more fans will follow it. The Columbus Crew badge makes it look as though it's owned by a local gang :D

Last thing I'm not surprised that you have found it boring this year, I think a few people have, myself included although the last week has been better. Try and stick it out now we are in the knock out phase though and you might be surprised. The horns are local to South Africa you wont find them anywhere else.

broncophan
06-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree and understand your point. Soccer (God I hate using that word) does indeed have a lot of catching up to do and it wont happen overnight. Americans in general have to change their mentality before you can become truely successful at this game. A lot of people don't want to change their mind and I can understand that, it's the same here with football, I tell people I like the NFL and 9 out of 10 stare at me in disbelief as they can't understand why an English person would enjoy a sport "where poofs have to wear helmets" in a similar narrow minded opinion of a sport that they don't truly understand (vice versa of what Orangehoof said earlier). What I was saying though that if you (as in America in general not you) start opening up your eyes to the possibilty that it is a very good sport and one that you could do well, very well, at then the infrastructure is already in place. It isn't about making soccer become the number one sport in America it's about your country being the best that it can in every sport.

The MLS is growing each year with the Philadelphia Union joining and more teams expecting to join over the next couple of years so it obviously gaining popularity. Like everyother country on the planet the more successful your national team is the more fans will follow it. The Columbus Crew badge makes it look as though it's owned by a local gang :D

Last thing I'm not surprised that you have found it boring this year, I think a few people have, myself included although the last week has been better. Try and stick it out now we are in the knock out phase though and you might be surprised. The horns are local to South Africa you wont find them anywhere else.

your points are well taken.......I am just not so sure soccer or (futball)......whatever we want to call it.......will ever "catch on" here in the U.S.......although it has gained in popularity.....I think it has already peaked.

I can remember 20 years ago.....it was said soccer would be "huge" over here by now.....and besides people watching the world cup every 4 years......it is just not THAT popular......maybe it still needs more time.......I don't know...

That being said,,,,,this Germany/England match is entertaining..........and England just got screwed by the official....

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-27-2010, 09:57 AM
your points are well taken.......I am just not so sure soccer or (futball)......whatever we want to call it.......will ever "catch on" here in the U.S.......although it has gained in popularity.....I think it has already peaked.

I can remember 20 years ago.....it was said soccer would be "huge" over here by now.....and besides people watching the world cup every 4 years......it is just not THAT popular......maybe it still needs more time.......I don't know...

That being said,,,,,this Germany/England match is entertaining..........and England just got screwed by the official....

England have been shocking bar 5 minutes. That Linesman deserves shooting though. How that wasn't given I don't know. I want England to win obviously but I'm more into club football so it wont ruin my year, now if it had been against United in a match of this importance I would have put my foot/fist/son through the tele by now. Should be a good second half though. Early England goal will set it up nicely.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Northman
06-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Germany!!!

Devilspawn
06-27-2010, 12:03 PM

I've watched La Liga primarily and Serie A and now I have access to the English Premier League. I have yet to have one favorite local team that I root for like I do for American teams, but I do get wild a bit for my birthplace's team of Osasuna (Pamplona) and my wife's team, Barcelona. Now for the English Premier, I need more time to see and just get a feel.

I didn't watch MLS because it just didn't grab me. Names like Real Salt Lake make me laugh because it's like MLS is trying too hard to be international. I'll give it a shot though. My love for soccer though comes through my family being La Liga fanatics and trying to reel me in, otherwise I'd be passive about it.

Jaws
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Holy schmoly, was that an awful game for England or what.
The disallowed goal was a disgrace, but even despite that, England were a shambles and their effort was minimal.
What the heck is wrong with them?
Are they spoilt and overpaid and don't care?
Is it coaching?
Is it wrong system?

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Holy schmoly, was that an awful game for England or what.
The disallowed goal was a disgrace, but even despite that, England were a shambles and their effort was minimal.
What the heck is wrong with them?
Are they spoilt and overpaid and don't care?
Is it coaching?
Is it wrong system?

or is it d) all of the above?

Seriously we just aren't good enough, we build up our chances every 2/4 years and then act surprised when it goes tits up.

We have a 40 year old keeper who has had the nickname Calamity most of his career and now plays in the second division.

We have a back up centre back who was in a relegation struggle this year.

We have a money grabbing midfielder (Barry) who was given 10 yards head start by Ozil (who looks very good) and still didn't get to the ball first.

We have a player who is 75% fit carrying the whole nations expectation on his shoulders.

We have Emile Heskey.

We were never winning it this year and until we stop building our hopes up and giving ourselves a false belief that we are the best we wont win it.

Anyway onwards and upwards, I've enjoyed Argentina Mexico so far. Another shocking decision. Made worse by the linesman seeing on the screen but not being in a position to change his mind. These officials, like the players, are supposed to be the best on the planet.

I hope Mexico can pull it back, United's new scoring sensation to be Hernandez nearly scored then. Even better he just floored Heinze the judas scumbag (like the cameraman did). :salute:

silkamilkamonico
06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Is England the most overhyped country in the world at soccer?

They won the World Cup in 1966, and has had exactly one good finish (4th place, '90) since then.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Is England the most overhyped country in the world at soccer?

They won the World Cup in 1966, and has had exactly one good finish (4th place, '90) since then.

I would say so. The national team that is.

Kapaibro
06-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Wow. That is not good at all.

You want a lend of our team?

Edmonton Bronco Fan
06-27-2010, 04:57 PM
GHANA! Partied late into the night for that one.

Too bad it had to come at expense of the Yanks. ;)

OrangeHoof
06-27-2010, 05:52 PM
If there was an All-Time Final Four of World Cup, it would be Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Italy. Pretty much everyone else are outsiders. Been that way for most of my life. Italy is already out and Brazil looked a little shaky in some of their early WC matches but those countries are almost always favorites. It's a shame if Argentina and Germany are meeting in the quarters because that's like Lakers-Celtics in the quarters.

silkamilkamonico
06-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Spain is quickly stamping itself among the soccer powers of the world, and IMHO will surpass Italy/Germany in the next 10-20 years.

They won't have the credentials of past success, but the potential is there among their country's players to have the individual talent to keep it among the best in the world on the 2 year cycle of International play.

Jaws
06-28-2010, 03:53 AM
or is it d) all of the above?

Seriously we just aren't good enough, we build up our chances every 2/4 years and then act surprised when it goes tits up.

We have a 40 year old keeper who has had the nickname Calamity most of his career and now plays in the second division.

We have a back up centre back who was in a relegation struggle this year.

We have a money grabbing midfielder (Barry) who was given 10 yards head start by Ozil (who looks very good) and still didn't get to the ball first.

We have a player who is 75% fit carrying the whole nations expectation on his shoulders.

We have Emile Heskey.

We were never winning it this year and until we stop building our hopes up and giving ourselves a false belief that we are the best we wont win it.

You might appreciate this:

"The use of television has been a source of controversy in the sport, but experts insist it offers a fool-proof method for determining whether a team is good at football or whether it is simply a collection of absurdly over-compensated, second-rate commercial brands with ghastly, vulgar wives, locked in a sado-masochistic relationship with a cretinous media that merely reflects a society that has taken its natural intelligence, its sense of perspective and its values and violently drowned them all in a bucket of piss."

video-technology confirms england are very bad at football (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/video-technology-confirms-england-are-very-bad-at-football-201006282855/)

SOCALORADO.
06-28-2010, 09:14 AM
You might appreciate this:

"The use of television has been a source of controversy in the sport, but experts insist it offers a fool-proof method for determining whether a team is good at football or whether it is simply a collection of absurdly over-compensated, second-rate commercial brands with ghastly, vulgar wives, locked in a sado-masochistic relationship with a cretinous media that merely reflects a society that has taken its natural intelligence, its sense of perspective and its values and violently drowned them all in a bucket of piss."

video-technology confirms england are very bad at football (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/video-technology-confirms-england-are-very-bad-at-football-201006282855/)

Sorry guys. My Germans destroyed the english yet again!
Like we didnt see this coming!
I feel for the fans of England, but i also see that they have turned the corner and realize there needs to be a complete overhaul of that team from top to bottom. So thats good. Germany went through this in 99-00. They had a bunch of really old veterans and a bunch of 2nd rate young players and they sucked. But Germany turned it around in a very short time.
This game could be the wake up call and a blessing in disguise. England fans seem to be really accepting that their team is just not good, and its an issue from top to bottom. Since that game i have watched sober, accurate analysis by both english commentators and fans alike in England and SA, and they all say the team sucks, and it needs to be overhauled.
This really suprised and impressed me!
The English U-21 kids went to the final this year and lost (to Germany, gee what a suprise!) BUT! They went to the final!! Thats quite an accomplishment, but it seems that England wont let all the kids play! I have NO DOUBT that the U-21 kids would have put up a better fight and gave Germany a run for their $$ yesterday. Out with the old and in with the new. Let the kids play!
Look at Germany, Neuer, Muller, Ozil, Badstuber, Kiedera, all played on the U-21-German team that beat England just a short while ago!
England has all the talent in the world, but they just wont let them play.
Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Terry are all highly overrated players that get accolades because of where they play and the elite talent that surrounds them.

OrangeHoof
06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
As for my "sissy sport" comment, it is mostly tongue-in-cheek but I have always had problems with the sport:

* I have trouble accepting authority figures in shorts and stockings. If I can deride a bad call by yelling "Cute knees you have there, Wolfgang!", I have successfully emasculated them to a degree.

* This opinion is embellished further by their actions when soccer referees are confronted with bad behavior. A baseball umpire throws out a player, a basketball ref blows his whistle and makes a "t". Pippi Longstockings at the soccer game defiantly holds up a card! Bad boy! Do that again, and I'll hold up another card! THAT will teach you!

* The players act like they've broken half the bones in their bodies every time they are tripped. Just get up and keep running rather than acting like a 2-year-old whose favorite toy just broke.

* The scores are too low. It would be like having every NFL game end 7-0 or 14-7. Yawn. Give me American football any day.

SOCALORADO.
06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
As for my "sissy sport" comment, it is mostly tongue-in-cheek but I have always had problems with the sport:

* I have trouble accepting authority figures in shorts and stockings. If I can deride a bad call by yelling "Cute knees you have there, Wolfgang!", I have successfully emasculated them to a degree.

* This opinion is embellished further by their actions when soccer referees are confronted with bad behavior. A baseball umpire throws out a player, a basketball ref blows his whistle and makes a "t". Pippi Longstockings at the soccer game defiantly holds up a card! Bad boy! Do that again, and I'll hold up another card! THAT will teach you!

* The players act like they've broken half the bones in their bodies every time they are tripped. Just get up and keep running rather than acting like a 2-year-old whose favorite toy just broke.

* The scores are too low. It would be like having every NFL game end 7-0 or 14-7. Yawn. Give me American football any day.

Go to Youtube and type in JIM ROME on soccer.
Hillarious! His take on why the players look they were hit by sniper fire, but then are running full speed just 1 minute later like nothing happened is priceless!

SOCALORADO.
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Could one of you guys from England explain to me how this guy isnt in consideration for the England manager position?
I mean WTF!?!?!

Stuart Pearce
(Born Hammersmith, London), nicknamed "Psycho", is an English football manager and former player. He is currently the manager of the England Under-21 team.
As a player, Pearce had a long and distinguished career, during which he captained the England national football team and became one of the most highly regarded defenders his country has ever produced. He is best remembered for his time as captain of Nottingham Forest and his England international duties. He was still highly regarded as a first class defender when in his mid thirties.
He finally retired as a player in 2002, by which time he was playing for Manchester City. He remained with the club as a coach until being promoted to the manager's job in 2005. He was manager of the club for two years before being dismissed. He is now manager of the England U-21 team, a position he held while he was still Manchester City manager.

Fun Fact!
England progressed to the semi-finals of the WC in 1990, and Pearce was one of two players (the other being Chris Waddle) to miss a penalty in the shoot-out which took place against West Germany after the match had ended in a 1–1 draw. Pearce left the field in tears.

Gee, i wonder if this guy wants to make ammends for that missed penalty.
You know, you give a guy like this with a distinguished career both as a coach and a player a real chance, and they usually come through big time. Not to mention he is currently coaching most of the players that SHOULD be on the revamped England squad if he was the coach. Seems that is what most in England want from what ive seen on Sky Sports since yesterdays debacle.
Whats that saying!?!? Payback is a b!tch. This is just the guy who could do it!
There are good English coaches, but the media in the UK need to f'n lay off and let a guy like this coach the team his way. For cryin out loud the guy took the U-21's to the freakin FINAL and half the players on Germany's team were on the opposing team he played against!
I will say it right now, if Pierce took his U-21's to the WC, they would have won their bracket and beaten Ghana.
Half of Germanys team is from the U-21s that played England.
The kids are alright. let em play.

broncophan
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM

I would like to add:

* on penalty kicks a few players stand there holding hands and jump together in unison

* after the games there are always players who trade their sweat soaked jerseys with each other...:confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
So - let's TRY TO HIDE the fact that in practically every game so far, a referee(s) has blown a call, so let's really be careful as to what the crowd is shown???????? Would it not be better to hire some referees who know what they are doing????????

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5335440/ce/us/fifa-censor-stadium-replays&cc=5901?ver=us

JOHANNESBURG -- FIFA will censor World Cup match action being shown on giant screens inside the stadium after replays of Argentina's disputed first goal against Mexico fueled arguments on the pitch.

Angry Mexico players protested to referee Roberto Rosetti after the screens in Johannesburg's Soccer City showed Argentina forward Carlos Tevez was offside before he scored the opening goal in a 3-1 victory on Sunday.

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said Monday that replaying the incident was "a clear mistake."

"This will be corrected and we will have a closer look into that," Maingot told a news conference Monday. "We will work on this and be a bit more, I would say, tight on this for the games to be played."

Maingot said the screens were used to broadcast a FIFA "infotainment program" to fans before the match and could be used to replay some match action.

Responsibility for operating the screens falls to South Africa's World Cup organizing committee, which took charge of the 10 stadiums during the tournament.

Organizers' spokesman Jermaine Craig said he had spoken to the stadium broadcasting team about the incident.

"The goal was awarded and it happened relatively quickly," Craig said. "In retrospect, maybe it shouldn't have been shown. It was shown and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that."

Maingot said FIFA has not yet received feedback from its officials at the match about a mass confrontation between coaches and players behind the Mexico bench as the teams left the field at halftime.

Italian referee Rosetti was at the center of a melee trying to separate heated conversations that included Argentina coach Diego Maradona.

OrangeHoof
06-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh, and "Fifa" sounds like the name of a poodle.

Kapaibro
06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
I would like to add:

* on penalty kicks a few players stand there holding hands and jump together in unison

* after the games there are always players who trade their sweat soaked jerseys with each other...:confused:

rugby players do this too. It's a sign that after the battle on the field, they can go away as friends.

broncophan
06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
rugby players do this too. It's a sign that after the battle on the field, they can go away as friends.

I know the reason.....that doesn't change the fact that they are still trading sweat soaked jerseys.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
This is good news for the remaining teams. What about the teams where bad calls affected the outcome, and they are now out of the WC?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5340136/ce/us/referees-botched-calls-removed-world-cup-list&cc=5901?ver=us

JOHANNESBURG -- Uruguay's Jorge Larrionda and Italy's Roberto Rosetti, whose blunders have prompted FIFA to rethink using video technology, have been left off the list of referees for the rest of the World Cup.

Larrionda failed to see an England shot cross the line in a 4-1 loss to Germany, and Rosetti wrongly awarded a goal to Argentina's Carlos Tevez against Mexico when he was offside.

Without giving reasons, FIFA announced the cut Tuesday.

Two more left out were Koman Coulibaly of Mali, who disallowed a third United States goal in a 2-2 draw with Slovenia, and French ref Stephane Lannoy, who harshly sent off Brazil's Kaka for a second yellow after Ivory Coast's Kader Keita ran into him while going for the ball.

Northman
07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
So, im not sure which was worse. Brazil's lack of composure the entire match vs the Dutch or Netherland's expertise at flopping and acting jobs. However, with both it didnt deter a great physical matchup and ended with the Dutchies winning 2-1 to oust the Brazilian favorites.

Northman
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
So now as the first half winds down of the URU/GHA matchup we have another great game. URU started out fast by exploiting the GHA defense but since then GHA has put the pressue on and now have scored to go up 1-0. Kind of like what happened with Brazil GHA has gotten under the skin of URU and have them playing on their heels. Stay tuned.

OrangeHoof
07-02-2010, 03:27 PM
It's going into OT at 1-1.

Personally, I have a difficult time watching Uruguay-Ghana without having an urge to pee.

BMF Bronco
07-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Love it that Holland beat Brazil!

silkamilkamonico
07-02-2010, 04:00 PM

I feel the same way about baseball players, and actually having to listen to old men in their 70s wearing a baseball uniform. Wear a suit or something. You guys aren't 30 years old anymore.

I most certainly agree, and is only one upped by the NBA, who moan, piss, and cry incessantly throughout the entire game like elementary kids. The Boston Cletics are the epitome of what's wrong with the NBA, and the players relationships with the refs, which is absolutely pathetic. I don't know what's worse, that I have to actually watch these 25-30 year old "men" persistently cry throughout the game, of the fact that the refs actually allow their wailings to influnce their calls later in the game.

I certainly agree with those too, and is paralleled by only baseball players, who need a game off because they have a "sore muscle", or hurt finger. It's baseball, standing around in the field, throwing the ball 3 -4 times a game, trotting around the bases, or swinging a baseball bat 20 times is hardly a gateway to injuries.

Agreed. The NFL is the ultimate sport. College football on the other hand, is a complete and utter insult to the average american sportsfan's intelligence.

FanInAZ
07-02-2010, 05:27 PM
FIFA threatens to ban Nigeria for banning themselves

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle

When Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan suspended his nation's federation from all competitions for two years on Wednesday because of their poor performance at the World Cup, the only question was how long it would take for FIFA to threaten him to back off. Well, it took two whole days for FIFA to make their fury known and react to Nigeria's decision to suspend their federation by threatening to ... suspend their federation.

From the AP:

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said that FIFA will contact the government by letter on Friday to tell Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan he has until Monday evening to back down on his threat to pull the Nigerian soccer Federation out of international competition for two years.

“Failure to do so will result in the suspension of the NFF,” Maingot said.

FIFA rules protect soccer from government intervention, with power to suspend members who do not manage their affairs independently.

National and club teams then cannot play in international competitions and soccer officials are barred from attending meetings.

So if Nigeria fails to repeal their suspension of the NFF by Monday, FIFA will suspend the NFF. And now my head hurts.

Northman
07-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Germany!!!!! 4-0!!! Woohoo!

I dont think they can be stopped now. The floodgates are open!

Northman
07-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Man, Paraguay got robbed of a goal. But its been an entertaining game so far. Im not sure how much longer Paraguay can with stand their poorus passing attack as for the most part Spain is picking them apart. But Paraguay is playing great defense on their end which has kept them in the game.

SM19
07-03-2010, 02:32 PM
The offside call was actually correct. Roberto Martinez explained it at halftime. To be called for offside, a player doesn't have to actually receive the ball. He only has to be in an offside position and involved in the play. The other attacker, Cardoza, was involved in the play by going up for the ball and drawing a defender.

Northman
07-03-2010, 02:34 PM
The offside call was actually correct. Roberto Martinez explained it at halftime. To be called for offside, a player doesn't have to actually receive the ball. He only has to be in an offside position and involved in the play. The other attacker, Cardoza, was involved in the play by going up for the ball and drawing a defender.

Did they call it on Cardoza? I didnt catch Martinez's explanation as the commentators i was watching didnt seem convinced that anyone was offsides.

SM19
07-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Did they call it on Cardoza? I didnt catch Martinez's explanation as the commentators i was watching didnt seem convinced that anyone was offsides.

I don't believe referees usually single out a player when making an offside call, but the assistant referee who put the flag up would have been looking right across the field at Cardoza. Cardoza was unquestionably in an offside position when the ball was struck. I think it just didn't occur to the commentators that Cardoza, despite not touching the ball, was very much involved in the play.

Paraguay's defense continues to impress me. I wouldn't be surprised if Spain doesn't score at all.

SM19
07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Correction: I've been spelling his name wrong. It's Cardozo, not Cardoza. And he's just missed a penalty.

And now Spain is getting one. I'd argue, as Spain will, that there should be a red card as well.

Northman
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Either way, you cant get much more drama than this. lol

SM19
07-03-2010, 02:57 PM
It's insane. Who says 0-0 games are boring? :D

OrangeHoof
07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I wonder what odds you could have gotten before the tournament started that Uruguay would be the last South American team standing?

Northman
07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Not anymore. lol

Great job by Spain to keep working at it. Villa with a nice shot off the rebound. I knew sooner or later their passing which is exceptional would down Paraguay.

Devilspawn
07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :beer:

:elefant:

:elefant:

OrangeHoof
07-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Amazing! Spain is minutes away from upsetting Germany. And it's no fluke. Spain has been the aggressor for most of the match and finally broke through with a header off a corner kick 70+ minutes in. It's now 80 minutes and Spain leads, 1-0. As powerful as Germany has looked, they've looked just as inept in this match. Just no life in them

Northman
07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Tough loss for the Germans but as Hoof explained the one thing i worried about was the passing attack of Spain and they kept the pressure on all day. Good win for them.

SOCALORADO.
07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Tough loss for the Germans but as Hoof explained the one thing i worried about was the passing attack of Spain and they kept the pressure on all day. Good win for them.

Yeah, i only saw parts of the game, but Spain deserved the win from what i saw. They were controlling the midfield, and that wins games.
And Germany are a bunch of kids with Klose. The majority of them will be back next WC, that much better, so its a pretty good WC for them!
And they still made it this far and beat many teams!

Northman
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, i only saw parts of the game, but Spain deserved the win from what i saw. They were controlling the midfield, and that wins games.
And Germany are a bunch of kids with Klose. The majority of them will be back next WC, that much better, so its a pretty good WC for them!
And they still made it this far and beat many teams!

Definitely man. And they didnt just win, they annihilated a lot of them so your correct. There is a lot to look forward to in the future. :D:beer:

Kapaibro
07-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Well done Spain!

I will be cheering for the Spanish in the final! My former home country!

SOCALORADO.
07-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Definitely man. And they didnt just win, they annihilated a lot of them so your correct. There is a lot to look forward to in the future. :D:beer:

You know, now that i think about it, the 3rd place game will more than likely be a freakin barnburner!
GERMANY VS URUGUAY!!
I could see this game will be a 4-3 final with a bunch of goals! This game will be funner to watch than the final which i think will be another boring 1-0 win for Spain.
Klose will be trying to tie Ronaldo for all-time WC goals, Forlan and that other striker for URU ( i forgot his name,its early) will be flyin, and Mueller will be back too!
This game will be fun.

SM19
07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
What a great game, definitely lived up to expectations. Now a four-way tie for the Golden Boot with Sneijder and Villa playing tomorrow. Hopefully the Dutch and Spanish teams will refrain from playing too conservatively tomorrow. I want another great show.

OrangeHoof
07-11-2010, 03:31 PM
The final is a 0-0 snoozefest going into overtime.

So, here's an instant poll:

More annoying sound - vuvuzelas or "Boomer Sooner"?

Northman
07-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I think there's been more flopping than shots on goal in this game. lmao

Northman
07-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Thats all she wrote. Spain wins.

Kapaibro
07-11-2010, 04:01 PM
ai aia ia ya!!! Torres does a hammy.

Ai El Nino!

Kapaibro
07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Viva Espana!!!!!!!!

Northman
07-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Tough loss for the Dutch especially with the no call on the other end. Bummer.

Kapaibro
07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Netherlands wins the card game though!

Northman
07-11-2010, 04:15 PM
And Germany gets bronze.

Devilspawn
07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Jaws
07-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Glad Spain won in the end. Holland played a rather dirty game.

Here's a stat Kap will like.
The only unbeaten team in the World Cup was New Zealand!

Slick
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm happy for Cesc Fabregas, until he signs with Real Madrid he's still a Gunner.

Congrats Devilspawn. Spain hold both the European and World Cup Champions. Nicely done.

SM19
07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
The final is a 0-0 snoozefest going into overtime.

So, here's an instant poll:

More annoying sound - vuvuzelas or "Boomer Sooner"?

Boomer Sooner, every time. I can tune vuvuzelas out pretty easily. The worst fight song in college sports is another matter entirely.

I'm glad Spain won. They clearly played the better (and cleaner) game. I'm just disappointed David Villa couldn't manage a goal and win the Golden Boot. He produced more spectacular goals than anyone else, easily.

Also, congrats to New Zealand! I was hoping Spain would win just so that New Zealand would be the last unbeaten team.

MOtorboat
06-10-2017, 12:54 PM
What an amazing finish between Scotland and England.

I hope Dave is enjoying his favorite beverage somewhere in Germany tonight.

underrated29
06-13-2017, 12:24 PM

When are other games on? Ive found I really quite enjoy watching these games. I watched us vs mexico twice. I still do not quite understand who is playing and for why and when, but I enjoy putting the games on while I do some work around my house. Its not as fast paced as hockey so I do not have to give it my full attention, but it is not boring to the point where I am constantly doing something else like checking emails and whatnot....But I could if I wanted too.

I also like to make fun of the pansies who roll and cry when they get run into.

MOtorboat
06-13-2017, 12:46 PM
When are other games on? Ive found I really quite enjoy watching these games. I watched us vs mexico twice. I still do not quite understand who is playing and for why and when, but I enjoy putting the games on while I do some work around my house. Its not as fast paced as hockey so I do not have to give it my full attention, but it is not boring to the point where I am constantly doing something else like checking emails and whatnot....But I could if I wanted too.

I also like to make fun of the pansies who roll and cry when they get run into.

There are some CONCACAF qualifiers tonight (probably not on TV, because its not the US, the US played Mexico Sunday and got a draw), but I think that's it for awhile.

MOtorboat
06-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Duh...the Confederation Cup starts Sunday. It will be in the 9 a.m. and 12:30 time slots Mountain time, I think.

underrated29
06-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Duh...the Confederation Cup starts Sunday. It will be in the 9 a.m. and 12:30 time slots Mountain time, I think.

Fantastic!
Now that hockey is done I have literally Zero sports to watch until football starts. Are there any games I should be looking out for in particular? Or teams?

MOtorboat
06-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Fantastic!
Now that hockey is done I have literally Zero sports to watch until football starts. Are there any games I should be looking out for in particular? Or teams?

Germany, Chile and Portugal.

Buff
06-13-2017, 01:35 PM

This was a lazy bump. At least bump the GD 2014 World Cup thread! ...This after you posted 2017 information in the 2016 college football thread.

Mods - I think we should consider a ban for MO based on this reckless posting behavior lately.

underrated29
06-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Germany, Chile and Portugal.

Who are you pulling for?

underrated29
06-13-2017, 01:39 PM
This was a lazy bump. At least bump the GD 2014 World Cup thread! ...This after you posted 2017 information in the 2016 college football thread.

Mods - I think we should consider a ban for MO based on this reckless posting behavior lately.

Buff, I would like you to come over and organize my house. Ill provide Vodka Crans

MOtorboat
06-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Who are you pulling for?

No dog in the fight. Americans didn't qualify.

Buff
Buff, I would like you to come over and organize my house. Ill provide Vodka Crans

I have no organization skills, but I like where this is headed... :eyebrows:

MOtorboat

I didn't see the other one. Maybe a new one is in order.

Buff
06-13-2017, 01:51 PM
I didn't see the other one. Maybe a new one is in order.

Well yeah - it was in order yesterday. Now it's too late. Here we are toiling away in a 2010 thread.

MOtorboat
06-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Well yeah - it was in order yesterday. Now it's too late. Here we are toiling away in a 2010 thread.

I mean, it's not like the World Cup is over.

BeefStew25
06-13-2017, 02:09 PM
If you have Bein you can catch the games tonight. Mo need my login?

Buff
06-13-2017, 02:09 PM
So I guess the slaves in Qatar have built one hell of a stadium.

Slick
06-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Mobdro app is where it's at. All the footie.

MOtorboat
06-13-2017, 02:21 PM
If you have Bein you can catch the games tonight. Mo need my login?

I'm good.

I think it's several stadiums. The real question is will anyone be able to get there?

WTE
06-13-2017, 02:29 PM
I can't believe you Foot Fairy Fans are trending the 2010 World Cup thread.

BeefStew25
06-13-2017, 04:09 PM

By slaves. That country sucks. My sis used to live there.