PDA

View Full Version : My alfredo sauce

LordTrychon
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
So I was curious once while eating at Olive Garden... because their Alfredo sauce is absolutely killer... and I figured that someone else must have wondered the same thing... in fact I bet I could find it online.

Sure enough... I found a mimicry recipe. There were a few actually, but I tried this one, and it works great. There were a few comments on there, and one claims that they worked at Olive Garden, and it can't be right because there's no cream cheese... but I swear by the tastiness of this recipe... almost as much as doc does.

Ingredients:
1 pint heavy cream
1 stick butter
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (to 3/4)
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Cooking Directions:
In a saucepan combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this
until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Parmesan cheese and Garlic
powder. Simmer this for 15 to 20 minutes on low. You may wish to season
with a little salt and pepper. It has been made with half-and-half, but
heavy cream is preferred.

http://secretrecipes.blogspot.com/2006/10/olive-gardens-alfredo-sauce.html

T.K.O.
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
So I was curious once while eating at Olive Garden... because their Alfredo sauce is absolutely killer... and I figured that someone else must have wondered the same thing... in fact I bet I could find it online.

Sure enough... I found a mimicry recipe. There were a few actually, but I tried this one, and it works great. There were a few comments on there, and one claims that they worked at Olive Garden, and it can't be right because there's no cream cheese... but I swear by the tastiness of this recipe... almost as much as doc does.

so let me get this straight.....
you go to a chain restaurant,like the sauce
look it up online
steal the recipe (from a place called "secret recipes" no less.
then come here and call it "MY alfredo sauce":shocked::laugh:
j/k

LordTrychon
06-11-2010, 10:28 AM
so let me get this straight.....
you go to a chain restaurant,like the sauce
look it up online
steal the recipe (from a place called "secret recipes" no less.
then come here and call it "MY alfredo sauce":shocked::laugh:
j/k

That's exactly what happened. :laugh:

It's the recipe I use... so yeah.

I do not claim to have made it.

I highly recommend it though. :beer:

BroncoNut
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
this is interesting. Did you google Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce?

GEM
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM
The comments under the recipe are hilarious. :D

slim
06-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Butter, heavy cream and cream cheese.

I can hear my arteries clogging already.

NightTrainLayne
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
My wife makes home-made alfredo all the time. Butter and Parmesan cheese, and cream. That's all she uses. The cream cheese is an interesting addition, we might have to try that.

We put a little (like 1/2 teaspoon) cayenne pepper in the sauce while it's cooking for an extra punch. It's delicious.

Zweems56
06-11-2010, 12:51 PM
There's no such thing as Alfredo sauce with cream cheese. Go to any real italian joint and ask what they use in their sauce. It's Heavy cream, parmesan cheese, mozzarella, and another that begins with a G (isn't gorgonzola) that I couldn't tell you because it was said with such an accent that I could hardly understand it. The key is to find a hole in the wall joint in a city like DC or NY, and try their sauce. If it blows your mind, then ask what they use, and try your hardest to mimic it. You'll never go back.

NightTrainLayne
06-11-2010, 01:03 PM
There's no such thing as Alfredo sauce with cream cheese. Go to any real italian joint and ask what they use in their sauce. It's Heavy cream, parmesan cheese, mozzarella, and another that begins with a G (isn't gorgonzola) that I couldn't tell you because it was said with such an accent that I could hardly understand it. The key is to find a hole in the wall joint in a city like DC or NY, and try their sauce. If it blows your mind, then ask what they use, and try your hardest to mimic it. You'll never go back.

And the trick is to very slowly melt the cheese and incrementally mix with the cream to keep it smooth.

Zweems56
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
And the trick is to very slowly melt the cheese and incrementally mix with the cream to keep it smooth.

Indeed. Also, let the cream simmer for a bit and stir occasionally to get it to thicken up a little bit before you add the cheese.

Lonestar
06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
for what it is worth about 80% of what they serve at OG comes from the kitchens at their home office. most if not all of it comes in frozen and thawed on premises and then put together.

Not much is made locally.

Lonestar
06-11-2010, 02:04 PM

thanks for the info will have to try it.

nice to have the recipe URL also.:salute:

slim
06-11-2010, 03:07 PM
for what it is worth about 80% of what they serve at OG comes from the kitchens at their home office. most if not all of it comes in frozen and thawed on premises and then put together.

Not much is made locally.

Are you telling me I paid $15 for a frozen dinner?

LordTrychon
06-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Oh, I know...

But it's friggin delicious.

That's what I care about. :D

slim
06-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh, I know...

But it's friggin delicious.

That's what I care about. :D

Please ignore the food snobs.

Lonestar
06-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Pretty much one of the reasons that they are consistent nationwide with the food.

Just like mcDucks they are cookie cutter facilitys and the food is pretty much the same in LA as in OKC.

Beaucse they bring in all the ingriedents and re heat them locally.

One of the reasons I know is I picked up a whole Tiramasu one day for a BD cake. And it came in the frozen cantanier still pretty much frozen.

MY daughters BB coach worked there as a Bar tender and she confirmed what I have said. Almost everything comes in by the truckload and just perapred (heated up) as needed.

The bread sticks come in frozen and baked. The salad dressing comes in 5 gallon buckets just shake and pour into smaller units to dispense.

If you got off for 15 bucks it was cheap.

We used to love it there as the food was good but try to ask for a subistute and you will get a pained loock on their face.

I have a neat little place that is closer to me that home cooks everything. Been there so much and have made so many subistions the Chef has named the meal after my wife.

They even went out and got Diet DR Pepper for me when I joked about only having DC.
Best Italian food I have had as it is cooked just for us.

One day we decided on Pizza instead of our usuall the Owner/Chef came out to see if there was something wrong.

We just decided on pizza that night.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

red98
06-11-2010, 09:28 PM

A re-heated dinner.

The sad part is, OG has some pretty good alfredo sauce.

Lonestar
06-11-2010, 09:31 PM
A re-heated dinner.

The sad part is, OG has some pretty good alfredo sauce.

they have great food overall and are a good chain but that is what they are a chain like MC ducks that has a certain standard to maintain, if the local chefs did their own thing that would not happen.

Zweems56
06-12-2010, 01:07 AM
To be honest, until a OG employee tells me otherwise, I firmly believe that their alfredo sauce is not frozen and reheated. If anyone else has ever tried to reheat alfredo sauce by conventional methods, they know that it separates into chunks of cheese and oil. It's not the creamy sauce where the cheese and cream is blended together perfectly. In order to get it to work, you have to slowly bring the sauce to a heat in a pan..... and even then, it isn't NEARLY as consistent and wonderful as it is fresh. You can reheat a lot of things, but alfredo sauce just is not one of them.

LordTrychon
06-12-2010, 10:03 AM
To be honest, until a OG employee tells me otherwise, I firmly believe that their alfredo sauce is not frozen and reheated. If anyone else has ever tried to reheat alfredo sauce by conventional methods, they know that it separates into chunks of cheese and oil. It's not the creamy sauce where the cheese and cream is blended together perfectly. In order to get it to work, you have to slowly bring the sauce to a heat in a pan..... and even then, it isn't NEARLY as consistent and wonderful as it is fresh. You can reheat a lot of things, but alfredo sauce just is not one of them.

Yeah... that's an issue with the alfredo! I think my sister was going to try to slowly head on the oven while adding some cream back in, as she found recommended online somewhere..... but I don't remember if she said it worked or not.

Lonestar
06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Did not say everything is frozen. I do know the salad dressing came in 5 gallon buckets.

At the time I was asking her for the reciepe for it and that was she told us.

For all I know the alfredo sauce (which my cardiologist will not allow me to have) comes the same way.

I also know all of the "chefs" are trained at HDQTs again so they taste the same from one resturant to all the others. So what/where ever they get the ingriedents from they are put together the same way.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Zweems56
06-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah... that's an issue with the alfredo! I think my sister was going to try to slowly head on the oven while adding some cream back in, as she found recommended online somewhere..... but I don't remember if she said it worked or not.

Just need to bring it to heat slowly and stir constantly. Dont even really need to add the extra cream