PDA

View Full Version : 'Leaps and Bounds'

Denver Native (Carol)
06-10-2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10169

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Perhaps the most important quality in a cornerback is selective amnesia, the ability to immediately forgive yourself for your mistakes on the previous play, game, or even season. It's the ability to dissolve the pain and retain the lessons learned.

Alphonso Smith's rookie experience was an exercise in selective amnesia.

Smith was a Demon Deacon dynamo at Wake Forest, dissecting offenses from the point-of-view of a former quarterback. Smith acted as the Deac's defensive Swiss Army Knife -- he had all the tools. When he wasn't intercepting quarterbacks he was sacking them. When he wasn't blocking kicks he was returning them.

Amassing 21 picks as an undergrad, Smith nabbed the 10th most interceptions in the history of college football and the most in the history of the ACC.

He wanted to step into the NFL as the same player who crafted a legendary collegiate resume. Instead he struggled to adapt. The reality of pro football put Smith through the wringer.

"I have no room for excuses," Smith said. "I just wasn't good enough. Flat out, just the bottom line, I wasn't good enough. I wasn't good enough mentally (or) physically."

Most rookies aren't, but Smith holds himself to higher standards.

"Being hurt and not playing as well, not being a vital guy in the special teams game, not being able to help the guys on defense, that's really frustrating as a player," Smith said. "As competitive as I am, of course I got a little frustrated and kind of lost confidence."

At times last season the Broncos played Ty Law and Tony Carter ahead of Smith at the nickel spot. Now Smith is doing everything he can to turn his rookie disappointments into lessons learned.

"I had 16 games to look at, actually 20 games to look at if you're including preseason," Smith said. "I had all of those games to look at to try and figure out what the NFL is about and what an NFL offense is like."

Observation is the key to Smith's development. He's spending extra time in meetings with his position coaches and peppering his older teammates with questions.

One asset that speaks to Smith is the wealth of experience in the starting secondary. Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, and Andre' Goodman boast 42 years of NFL experience between them.

"We talked a lot last year, but he can actually learn more by watching us do it the right way," Goodman said. "The biggest thing he has to understand is the improvement he has to make from year one to year two. They kind of give you your rookie year to learn. The game is a lot faster and it's a different game. It's definitely not the same as the college game. He has to understand there is no leeway in year two. You're not a rookie anymore."

If anyone can sympathize with Smith, it's Goodman. Fresh off a marquee season in which he led the Broncos with five interceptions, the veteran corner recalled his own rookie struggles.

"Honestly, I think my experience was very similar because in my mind I felt like I was going fast and all the veterans were always like, 'You can go faster.' It's kind of like, 'Well how much faster can I go?'" Goodman said. "Everything about you should be fast. Your teammates say you always have one more step than you think you have. We see it, and it's a matter of helping him understand it."

Goodman credits his old Detroit Lions teammates Todd Lyght and Eric Davis for forcing him into full speed not just on Sundays, but in every drill and practice.

According to Goodman the whole secondary has a responsibility to bring Smith along at the same pace. Goodman points to Bailey as a prime example.

"Well I think if you're going to try and emulate anyone in the game, that's the perfect guy," Goodman said. "I think what (Smith) needs to pick up from him -- and what I've picked up from him -- is how hungry he still is. For a guy that's made the Pro Bowl as many times as he has, you walk out to the practice field and see him practicing like he's a young guy."

Bailey for one sees the upside in Smith.

"He's grown a lot," Bailey said. "I think he understands what we expect from him."

While Smith will admit he still has his "rookie moments," in OTAs he's finding that professional speed, snaring interceptions and batting down passes from hashmark to hashmark.

He's been running as the first-team nickel corner in practice, but the offseason is always a threat. Veteran defensive back Nate Jones signed to compete with Smith, and rookies Perrish Cox and Syd'Quan Thompson are also fighting for playing time.

The whispers of Smith's doubters are still fresh in his ears, questioning his value and further motivating him to excel.

"Everyone is now looking at you. Everyone is questioning your position and why you were picked so high," Smith said. "For me personally, I do have a chip on my shoulder and I'm just trying to work and get better. Hopefully I can be a better football player for this team."

The Glue Factory
06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10169

Goodman said. "They kind of give you your rookie year to learn."

Too many people hung up on the draft need to take this statement to heart. Nobody's a bust after their rookie season.

NorthernLights
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Too many people hung up on the draft need to take this statement to heart. Nobody's a bust after their rookie season.

That's right. Even JaMarcus took 3 years to flame out.

The Glue Factory
06-10-2010, 04:13 PM

I think Ryan Leaf holds the record at 2 years to flame out.

Northman
06-10-2010, 04:50 PM

Is it definitive he wont pan out? No. But looking at his fellow rookies who were drafted in the first 2 rounds with him (Butler and Smith after our pick) contributed right away at their respective positions. Could of taken Smith or Butler later without moving up and gotten something more out of him in year one.

Vontae Davis
53 tackles
4 INTS
11 PD

Malcolm Jenkins
55 Tackles
1 Int
2 FF

Darius Butler
35 Tackles
3 Ints
8 PD

Sean Smith
38 Tackles
12 PD

Alphonso Smith
10 punt returns for 47 yds
4 KO returns for 75yds

Northman
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM

JeMac was done before he was even drafted its just that the rest of the world didnt know it.

The Glue Factory
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Is it definitive he wont pan out? No. But looking at his fellow rookies who were drafted in the first 2 rounds with him (Butler and Smith after our pick) contributed right away at their respective positions. Could of taken Smith or Butler later without moving up and gotten something more out of him in year one.

Vontae Davis
53 tackles
4 INTS
11 PD

Malcolm Jenkins
55 Tackles
1 Int
2 FF

Darius Butler
35 Tackles
3 Ints
8 PD

Sean Smith
38 Tackles
12 PD

Alphonso Smith
4 KO returns for 75yds

http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/Redskins-Facepalm-psd37809.png

Northman
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
That the best you can do? Really?

underrated29
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
North- You left out Jarius? Byrd. For the bills I believe....Dude was a star, had like 8 INTS etc...total stud taken like 7 picks after phonz....

Northman
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
North- You left out Jarius? Byrd. For the bills I believe....Dude was a star, had like 8 INTS etc...total stud taken like 7 picks after phonz....

Yea, like i said. Im not calling the kid a bust but something is not right when he cant even really contribute at his primary position. I mean, we had to go and sign an aging vet to play nickel!!! :lol:

Lonestar
06-10-2010, 06:05 PM

So sayeth the Glue factory.

hamrob
06-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Bust! I wouldn't doubt if Cox outplays him this year!

You take McDaniels 1st draft and try to find the pluses:

Moreno
Ayers
Smith
Quinn

We're all hoping that Moreno turns the corner. Ayers is a big question mark...didn't we bring in like 7 OLB's to compete with him? Smith...enough said. Quinn...enough said.

Youch!

The Glue Factory
06-10-2010, 07:34 PM
That the best you can do? Really?

Actually, I thought it was enough. Guess I was wrong, so I'll spell it out for you.

Yes I understand that some (like a very few) of the first day draft picks end up making a significant impact in their rookie season. Most don't and another very few end up being a bust.

My comment was for those folks convinced that if first day draft picks don't produce in their first year they're busts. Something that seemed to be lost on you, thus the facepalm. :smack:

Bosco
06-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Yea, like i said. Im not calling the kid a bust but something is not right when he cant even really contribute at his primary position. I mean, we had to go and sign an aging vet to play nickel!!! :lol:

A) He was injured early in the season.

B) Lots of players have poor rookie years and turn it on afterward, and vice versa.

Bust! I wouldn't doubt if Cox outplays him this year!

You take McDaniels 1st draft and try to find the pluses:

Moreno
Ayers
Smith
Quinn

We're all hoping that Moreno turns the corner. Ayers is a big question mark...didn't we bring in like 7 OLB's to compete with him? Smith...enough said. Quinn...enough said.

Youch!

Moreno - Led all rookies in rushing despite O-Line troubles.
Ayers - Universally regarded as a multi-year project yet was getting significant playing time all year.
Smith - Injured.
Quinn - Blocking tight end who was drafted with the future in mind and played behind Graham and Scheffler his rookie year.

Bosco
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
My comment was for those folks convinced that if first day draft picks don't produce in their first year their busts. Something that seemed to be lost on you, thus the facepalm. :smack:

Yep. See Trevor Pryce for a somewhat recent example.

Northman
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Actually, I thought it was enough. Guess I was wrong, so I'll spell it out for you.

Yes I understand that some (like a very few) of the first day draft picks end up making a significant impact in their rookie season. Most don't and another very few end up being a bust.

My comment was for those folks convinced that if first day draft picks don't produce in their first year they're busts. Something that seemed to be lost on you, thus the facepalm. :smack:

Show me where i stated he was a bust? Oh yea thats right, i didnt. :coffee:

EMB6903
06-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Vontae Davis
53 tackles
4 INTS
11 PD

Malcolm Jenkins
55 Tackles
1 Int
2 FF

Darius Butler
35 Tackles
3 Ints
8 PD

Sean Smith
38 Tackles
12 PD

Alphonso Smith
4 KO returns for 75yds

and eddie royal was better than Desean Jackson his rookie year.....

The Glue Factory
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
You did by implication in showing other first day draft picks that were significant contributors on other teams and showing only Smith's poor performance. The implication was loud and clear that he's a bust.

nevcraw
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Moreno - Led all rookies in bubble screen awareness
Ayers - led team in almost sacks. petitioned league to make stat offical - petition denied.
Smith - was beaten out by old man winter and the Dove Valley valet parker.
Quinn - best known for having same name as some dude that likes to touch crotches in pictures.

edited for truthfulness

broncobryce
06-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Ahh....the all of Mcdaniels' picks sucked argument. Deja vu.

TimTebow15MVP
06-10-2010, 08:52 PM
all of those guys you mentioned were on deadbeat defenses and all of them started due to injuries or lack of talent. Phonso wasnt even on the field much to be mentioned with those other guys. lost confidence and he will be fine this year. a ball hawk like phonso first has to understand what the hell is going on before his natural ability can take over

nevcraw
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Ahh....the all of Mcdaniels' picks sucked argument. Deja vu.

you reffering to my post? if so don't read into it too far.
They all had challenging first years.. that's what I was eluding too.. didn't say squat about the picks sucking.. I think Moreno and Ayers look very promising.. the rest didn't show enough to judge..

broncobryce
06-10-2010, 09:15 PM
They all had challenging first years.. that's what I was eluding too.. didn't say squat about the picks sucking.. I think Moreno and Ayers look very promising.. the rest didn't show enough to judge..

No, I was just referring in general to the fact that people have argued about how Moreno is no good, Smith is a bust, Ayers showed nothing, Quinn couldn't get on the field, etc. Aimed at no one in particular, but I am just saying how we argue over the same shit over and over. So goes the offseason.

TXBRONC
06-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Smith was suppose help out on special teams and wasn't even able to do that.

Northman
06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
all of those guys you mentioned were on deadbeat defenses and all of them started due to injuries or lack of talent. Phonso wasnt even on the field much to be mentioned with those other guys. lost confidence and he will be fine this year. a ball hawk like phonso first has to understand what the hell is going on before his natural ability can take over

I know you just jumped on the bandwagon here as of late but you might want to research where our defense was going into 09'. It was one of the WORST in the entire league. Again, we have individuals who are already claiming this kid to be a superstar but he hasnt done anything to warrant the praise. Will he have his chance? Sure, as i pointed to earlier its only been one year. But it doesnt take away the fact that the other guys i mentioned stepped up from day one and made an impact on their respective teams.

Northman
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
You did by implication in showing other first day draft picks that were significant contributors on other teams and showing only Smith's poor performance.

I showed where he shouldnt be given any praise based off reputation coming out of college. When you reach up to get a player and claim him to be first round talent only to not receive any playtime from said player does lead one to question how good he really is. Either McD is extremely unlucky with his draft choices or they really arent that good to begin with. But ive never said he was a bust, im just pointing out the problems i have with his contributions to this team.

TXBRONC
06-10-2010, 10:35 PM
A) He was injured early in the season.

B) Lots of players have poor rookie years and turn it on afterward, and vice versa.

Moreno - Led all rookies in rushing despite O-Line troubles.
Ayers - Universally regarded as a multi-year project yet was getting significant playing time all year.
Smith - Injured.
Quinn - Blocking tight end who was drafted with the future in mind and played behind Graham and Scheffler his rookie year.

Yep Smith was active for 15 out 16 games and I don't recall injuries being issue. The reason he didn't get on the field wasn't because he was injured it was because he was lost this past year, hence the signing of old fart Ty Law.

Tempus Fugit
06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Yep Smith was active for 15 out 16 games and I don't recall injuries being issue. The reason he didn't get on the field wasn't because he was injured it was because he was lost this past year, hence the signing of old fart Ty Law.

I don't think too many people are taking issue with the notion that Smith wasn't ready to step in to a lineup last season, regardless of the reason. I think people take issue when others bring out the "he's a bust" comments, or point to other players as if someone else being more ready day 1 is the defining moment of a player's worth, especially when you're really not comparing similar situations and just pulling the players out of context, so to speak.

Miami was in full houseclean mode in the secondary, for example. Northman pointed to 4 corners, and 2 of them were on the Dolphins. Not surprisingly, a team that was 11-5 and started two rookies was a team that fell to 7-9. Also, it should be noted that Smith (a player that I loved coming out of college) was taken lowest out of all the mentioned CBs, and he's the only one who started all 16 games.

In New England, Butler got his playing time because Springs and Wilhite failed as starters and slot corners. Butler, who's got a lot of talent, still was on the yo-yo with regards to playing and starting.

Jenkins stepped into a secondary that had major problems at corner. He was the #1 CB taken in the draft, and he still started just 6 games. I say "still" not to belittle Jenkins, but to emphasize just how unusual Miami's situation was, and also to point out that expecting day 1 starters out of the draft is idiotic.

Northman
06-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't think too many people are taking issue with the notion that Smith wasn't ready to step in to a lineup last season, regardless of the reason. I think people take issue when others bring out the "he's a bust" comments, or point to other players as if someone else being more ready day 1 is the defining moment of a player's worth, especially when you're really not comparing similar situations and just pulling the players out of context, so to speak.

Nothing was pulled out of context as Denver's situation can easily be related to Miami and New England.

Miami was in full houseclean mode in the secondaryDenver wasnt that far behind. Dre Bly was cut loose. Goodman was signed but it was easy to see that McD wasnt satisfied with the DB position so he went after Smith who he considered first round talent.

In New England, Butler got his playing time because Springs and Wilhite failed as starters and slot corners. Butler, who's got a lot of talent, still was on the yo-yo with regards to playing and starting.Sooooo basically your verifying my point that he was better than the guys ahead of him and contributed to the team in his first year when they needed him too. They didnt have to sign any DB's to play nickel did they? I just want to be sure.

Jenkins stepped into a secondary that had major problems at corner. He was the #1 CB taken in the draft, and he still started just 6 games. I say "still" not to belittle Jenkins, but to emphasize just how unusual Miami's situation was, and also to point out that expecting day 1 starters out of the draft is idiotic.Again, McD came into 2009 cleaning house especially on defense which meant he had to replace them with players who could contribute. Expecting day 1 draftees to start is not "idiotic". Those players are taken that high for a reason and its not unheard of to have day 1 starters actually starting or CONTRIBUTING on some level in that same year. Ive heard everything from he was hurt to he was lost. He was out one game and lost for the other 15. Ok, i can live with that but dont try and sidestep the fact that the other players i mentioned had no problem adjusting to the NFL and were not totally lost like our player was. Our DB situation was never in place except for Bailey. So the fact that Smith didnt at least impress to work his way into the nickel package is definitely troubling.

*Oh, and Jenkins doesnt play for Miami.

Bosco
06-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Smith was suppose help out on special teams and wasn't even able to do that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=5235&sport=NFL

Says he injured his ankle against the Raiders.

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 10:11 AM

Miami was in full houseclean mode in the secondary, for example. Northman pointed to 4 corners, and 2 of them were on the Dolphins. Not surprisingly, a team that was 11-5 and started two rookies was a team that fell to 7-9. Also, it should be noted that Smith (a player that I loved coming out of college) was taken lowest out of all the mentioned CBs, and he's the only one who started all 16 games.

In New England, Butler got his playing time because Springs and Wilhite failed as starters and slot corners. Butler, who's got a lot of talent, still was on the yo-yo with regards to playing and starting.

Jenkins stepped into a secondary that had major problems at corner. He was the #1 CB taken in the draft, and he still started just 6 games. I say "still" not to belittle Jenkins, but to emphasize just how unusual Miami's situation was, and also to point out that expecting day 1 starters out of the draft is idiotic.

Alphonso Smith started all 16 games? He didn't start ANY games and only made appearances in a handful of games. On top of that he was inactive for one game and I think it was for injury but I don't recall for sure. Not only that McDaniels talked about how he was suppose to help out in the return game and play some nickle. I understand that things didn't to workout well playing the nickle because he needs time to develop but at the very least he should been able to handle return duties. After all he supposedly was an accomplished return specialist in college and we did give up a number one pick to get him.

Btw every time some says something that contradicts you doesn't mean they have misrepresented the facts in other words, North didn't misrepresent anything.

Northman
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Alphonso Smith started all 16 games? He didn't start ANY games and only made appearances in a handful of games. On top of that he was inactive for one game and I think it was for injury but I don't recall for sure. Not only that McDaniels talked about how he was suppose to help out in the return game and play some nickle. I understand that things didn't to workout well playing the nickle because he needs time to develop but at the very least he should been able to handle return duties. After all he supposedly was an accomplished return specialist in college and we did give up a number one pick to get him.

Btw every time some says something that contradicts you doesn't mean they have misrepresented the facts in other words, North didn't misrepresent anything.

I believe he was talking about Sean Smith.

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=5235&sport=NFL

Says he injured his ankle against the Raiders.

You just proved my point he was inactive for all of one game.

Ravage!!!
06-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Worse, was beat out of the nickle duty by an UN-drafted rookie. Its one thing to be beat out by a journeyman vet during your rookie season, but the guy that beat him out was a rookie as well. That doesn't look good and bode well.

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I believe he was talking about Sean Smith.

Ok. I thought we were talking about our 3rd number "one" pick from last season. My bad.

Northman
06-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Not only did he not start any, but was beat out of the nickle duty by an UN-drafted rookie. Its one thing to be beat out by a journeyman vet during your rookie season, but the guy that beat him out was a rookie as well. That doesn't look good and bode well.

Well, according to some on here he is a just a very slow learner i guess. Makes perfect sense to draft someone who cant translate and contribute to the team out of the box like some of these others can. :lol:

Ravage!!!
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Well, according to some on here he is a just a very slow learner i guess. Makes perfect sense to draft someone who cant translate and contribute to the team out of the box like some of these others can. :lol:

Thats what we like to hear about players.... slow learners. Is that why we are reading, now, that the draft choices this year had 4 of the top 10 wonderlic scores? :lol:

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Worse, was beat out of the nickle duty by an UN-drafted rookie. Its one thing to be beat out by a journeyman vet during your rookie season, but the guy that beat him out was a rookie as well. That doesn't look good and bode well.

Apparently Fudge was talking about Sean Smith so while I'm correct on Alphoso Smith he was talking about a different player.

Anyway, I agree that doesn't look good when a guy you spent a lot draft capital on is beat out by a corner well past his prime and an undrafted rookie.

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Thats what we like to hear about players.... slow learners. Is that why we are reading, now, that the draft choices this year had 4 of the top 10 wonderlic scores? :lol:

Well I sure hope he can actually contribute this season especially since we spent as much as we did in the first place to get him.

The Glue Factory
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I showed where he shouldnt be given any praise based off reputation coming out of college. When you reach up to get a player and claim him to be first round talent only to not receive any playtime from said player does lead one to question how good he really is. Either McD is extremely unlucky with his draft choices or they really arent that good to begin with. But ive never said he was a bust, im just pointing out the problems i have with his contributions to this team.

Then why didn't you say that? I agree that he hasn't shown anything on the field to deserve praise but so many are proclaiming 2009 draft class as a bust that it's easily assumed that's what you're talking about unless you state otherwise. By no means do I think he's the next Champ Bailey but I'm not going to write him off after one year either.

Sorry to post late on this, but I post at work and don't start until 11 MDT.

Tempus Fugit
06-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Alphonso Smith started all 16 games? He didn't start ANY games and only made appearances in a handful of games. On top of that he was inactive for one game and I think it was for injury but I don't recall for sure.

While I could have been more clear, you had to ignore, or not know, two things in order to come to your conclusion:

1.) I was talking about Miami's cornerbacks in a paragraph dedicated to them.

2.) the actual wording "it should be noted that Smith (a player that I loved coming out of college) was taken lowest out of all the mentioned CBs, and he's the only one who started all 16 games. " would make it clear to anyone who actually knew the draft order. Of the players Northman mentioned, Sean Smith was the last one drafted and the only one to start all 16 games.

Not only that McDaniels talked about how he was suppose to help out in the return game and play some nickle. I understand that things didn't to workout well playing the nickle because he needs time to develop but at the very least he should been able to handle return duties. After all he supposedly was an accomplished return specialist in college and we did give up a number one pick to get him.

You probably have a point that you're trying to make here. You simply fail to do so, since I've not argued that Smith was a good player as a rookie.

tw every time some says something that contradicts you doesn't mean they have misrepresented the facts in other words, North didn't misrepresent anything.

My post which you quoted didn't make any claim of Northman misrepresenting anything. I used his post as an example of "pulling the players out of context, so to speak. ". That's what he did.

I don't mind being attacked and criticized, but please get the info right first.

Bosco
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
You just proved my point he was inactive for all of one game.

You understand that those injuries linger, right?

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 06:34 PM
While I could have been more clear, you had to ignore, or not know, two things in order to come to your conclusion:

1.) I was talking about Miami's cornerbacks in a paragraph dedicated to them.

2.) the actual wording "it should be noted that Smith (a player that I loved coming out of college) was taken lowest out of all the mentioned CBs, and he's the only one who started all 16 games. " would make it clear to anyone who actually knew the draft order. Of the players Northman mentioned, Sean Smith was the last one drafted and the only one to start all 16 games.

You probably have a point that you're trying to make here. You simply fail to do so, since I've not argued that Smith was a good player as a rookie.

My post which you quoted didn't make any claim of Northman misrepresenting anything. I used his post as an example of "pulling the players out of context, so to speak. ". That's what he did.

I don't mind being attacked and criticized, but please get the info right first.

I have it straight other than the fact you were speaking about a guy from Miami rather than the Smith that plays for the Broncos. Now if you had actually been reading along which obviously FAILED to do you have seen this.

Ok. I thought we were talking about our 3rd number "one" pick from last season. My bad.

It's a good thing you don't mind being criticized for your constant failings.

TXBRONC
06-11-2010, 06:38 PM
You understand that those injuries linger, right?

And you understand that if his injuries were as serious as you're trying pump them up to be he wouldn't been active for 15 of 16 games right?

Also, it wasn't injury to Smith that prompted McDaniels to bring in an aging dinosaur like Law. It was his lack of faith in Smith more than anything else.

Lame ass excuses don't cut it.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Then why didn't you say that? I agree that he hasn't shown anything on the field to deserve praise but so many are proclaiming 2009 draft class as a bust that it's easily assumed that's what you're talking about unless you state otherwise. By no means do I think he's the next Champ Bailey but I'm not going to write him off after one year either.

Sorry to post late on this, but I post at work and don't start until 11 MDT.

Agreed, calling him a bust at ths time is premature. But I think there is room for fair criticism. I've said on other occasions that if Smith didn't actually get much playing time with defense that I was ok with, however he was also suppose to be able to help out in the return and that didn't happen either. If he had been able to adequately handle the return duties that would have been a big help even if didn't get onto the field for defensive snaps.

TimTebow15MVP
06-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I know you just jumped on the bandwagon here as of late but you might want to research where our defense was going into 09'. It was one of the WORST in the entire league. Again, we have individuals who are already claiming this kid to be a superstar but he hasnt done anything to warrant the praise. Will he have his chance? Sure, as i pointed to earlier its only been one year. But it doesnt take away the fact that the other guys i mentioned stepped up from day one and made an impact on their respective teams.

all of those guys started and didnt have champ bailey and andre goodman in front of them. SMith just needs to know whats going on, he had some flashes last year a couple of them. I watched him his whole career in the ACC i know what he brings to the table. It will speak for itself. Hes already been having awesome mini camps along with parrish cox and sydquan. The broncos are loaded.

TXBRONC
06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
all of those guys started and didnt have champ bailey and andre goodman in front of them. SMith just needs to know whats going on, he had some flashes last year a couple of them. I watched him his whole career in the ACC i know what he brings to the table. It will speak for itself. Hes already been having awesome mini camps along with parrish cox and sydquan. The broncos are loaded.

A flash here and there doesn't really mean a whole lot. He was suppose come in and help with special teams as well as play some nickel but neither one of those things materialized. I understand that playing corner back isn't an easy thing to do in the NFL. However being a return man isn't nearly as difficult as being a corner relatively speaking. Not being able to get onto the field as corner is one thing but as a return man he should have been able to do that.

I don't think he should be thrown under the bus as a bust just yet but Denver should have been able to a little more of a contribution out of him.

Him having a good mini camp is a good first step and I hope it carries over to camp and beyond.

Bosco
06-12-2010, 11:49 PM
And you understand that if his injuries were as serious as you're trying pump them up to be he wouldn't been active for 15 of 16 games right? Moreno was active for all 16 games after he hurt his MCL in the preseason.

Also, it wasn't injury to Smith that prompted McDaniels to bring in an aging dinosaur like Law. It was his lack of faith in Smith more than anything else. Except that it was Jack Williams that got cut right after he got abused in the Baltimore game.

Lame ass excuses don't cut it. Was it lame when injuries limited Champ Bailey's performance in 07 and 08?

Lonestar
06-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Moreno was active for all 16 games after he hurt his MCL in the preseason.

Except that it was Jack Williams that got cut right after he got abused in the Baltimore game.

Was it lame when injuries limited Champ Bailey's performance in 07 and 08?

While all of your comments were logical they will fall on deaf ears as to some the new HC will never fit into the huge shoes of the old HC.

His draft choices will never be good enough. EVEN though they have a VERY short memory of almost every first day failures "big shoes" had save ONE year and that now may be debateable also.

But please do not allow the folks that still think mikey could do no wrong get you down. Keep stating the obvious that those with short memories obviously can not bring themselves to believe that there possibly could be another HC after mikey.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

spikerman
06-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Is it just me or is there a broken record playing in the background?

Northman
06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Is it just me or is there a broken record playing in the background?

:lol: