PDA

View Full Version : Get to Know: Baraka Atkins

Denver Native (Carol)
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10166

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Baraka Atkins entered the league as a fourth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft after a standout career at the University of Miami.

In two seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, Atkins appeared in 21 games, totaling 28 tackles, two sacks and two fumble recoveries. He had a brief stint on the San Francisco 49ers' active roster late in the 2009 season but was inactive.

Now with the Broncos, Atkins is making a switch from defensive end to linebacker -- a move made last season by Robert Ayers, Elvis Dumervil and Jarvis Moss, among others.

Atkins has seen time with the first-unit defense throughout OTAs, and Head Coach Josh McDaniels said he has been impressed with the linebacker's progress.

"He's got the size that you're looking for," McDaniels said. "A lot of the outside linebackers, their best traits are going to show up in August because they're big (and) they're physical. Most of our guys are 255 (lbs.) or above and he's one of those guys. He'll be able to impact us in the running game on the edge and we don't ask him to do that much in coverage."

"He's got a long way to go, but he's working his butt off to try to get there."

Atkins sat down with us for a Q&A session as the team prepares for a mandatory minicamp this weekend.

For Broncos fans just getting to know you, what are your strengths on the field?
"My strengths are using my abilities that I have to my advantage. My long arms allow me to play with leverage and I use them when pass rushing as well."

Coach McDaniels mentioned your physicality and ability to stop the run. Is that something you pride yourself on?
"That's something I take pride in because a lot of times they don't expect defensive ends to be good run stoppers unless they're bigger, tackle-type guys. I take pride in it and do my job to stop the run because if we make them one-dimensional it just does nothing but help the defense."

Being a physical player, what do you get out of OTAs with no pads?
"You get a lot of work. It's not so much brute force but more getting your hand placement down correctly and getting leverage down right -- things of that nature."

How are the OTAs going for you so far?
"It's tough. We've had some good days. We've had some bad days, but I've just got to become more consistent with what I'm doing and continue to help the defense out."

You've been getting reps with the first-unit defense during OTAs. Does that give you hope you'll be able to make an impact this year?
"You never come into a team or any position looking to be second string. You always work for first. Even if you don't get it, that means the person that beat you out is competitive as well. That's what it is. I take it as that, and I come in looking to start."

You're used to putting your hand in the dirt as a defensive end, and now you're converting to linebacker. Has that been a difficult move?
"It's definitely tough. I may be a little athletic, but standing up and not being down in the dirt as much is definitely tough on you."

Have you spoken with other guys who have made the transition like Dumervil, Moss or Ayers?
"I've talked with all of them several times since I've been here, as well as D.J. (Williams), my boy from Miami. They're saying it's a transition that you have to learn from us. All of us were strictly defensive ends in college and now standing up and doing a lot of coverage as well."

What's your feel for the defense as a whole entering 2010?
"Oh, man. I feel the sky is the limit for us. With the calls that they are making and the skill players that we have, I think we can do some things."

You only spent two seasons in Seattle after being drafted in 2007. Was that just not a good fit for you?
"I really can't say. They just decided to go with another person, and that's what happened."

Was it tough not finding the field in 2009?
"It's definitely tough. With a game that you love and a sport that you want to play and be competitive, it's hard to watch on Sundays or even dress and not be able to play."

Did the experience make you even hungrier to prove yourself in 2010?
"Most definitely. I definitely came in here with a new attitude of 'You've got to do whatever it takes to get on the field.'"

Now you've got a long break until training camp -- how do you use that time?
"Most definitely you take a few days off to let your body rest, but this is a year-round sport. You've got to maintain your body and keep everything up. It's not going to be that long of a break. The amount of time that I won't be here, I will still be working back home in Florida and Miami."

Do you have any specific plans for the break?
"I'll be heading back home. I've got a family reunion on the July fourth weekend, but definitely there will be a lot of work going on."

Are you excited for training camp to put on the pads?
"Oh yes, definitely, especially going against some new guys. Being in jerseys once we get the pads on, it's definitely going to be a little more heated competition. I'm looking forward to it as well."

dogfish
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Get to Know: Baraka Atkins

now, before it's too late. . .

:D