PDA

View Full Version : Lynch...on Eddie Royal & Jay Cutler

Sassy
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I know this was posted above...but good article!

Lynch Says Competition is Fierce Early

By Jake Grilley
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With Thursday's practice in the books, the Denver Broncos are a practice away from completing quarterback camp, the team's first OTA of the 2008 season. Veteran John Lynch said that even this early in the season competition is already fierce, with many positions on the team up for grabs.

Lynch, a 16-year veteran and nine-time Pro Bowler, knows even his starting position at safety is up for grabs if another player out plays him for it. Denver brought in veteran safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel this offseason, but Lynch said that competition brings out the best in everyone on the team and that he is embracing the challenge of retaining his starting spot.

"All I wanted was the assurance that I'd be given every opportunity to earn a job as an every-down player," Lynch said. "They brought in a lot of guys. That's alright. I've been facing that for the last 15 years, and I've never been afraid of it."

Lynch admitted that taking questions about his job security is a little strange having held a steady job as a starter for the vast majority of his years in the NFL.

"In the past, I've had a job and it's someone's job to beat me out," he said. "Probably my second year was the last year that this was the case. Every now and then, you need things to pull you out of your comfort zone, and this has done that."

This season Lynch will be reunited with his former Tampa Bay teammate Michael Pittman, who the the Broncos signed to a one-year deal on Wednesday. Lynch said Pittman is another weapon to add to the Broncos offensive arsenal.

"I forgot how big his arms were," Lynch laughed. "Most of all, he's a good football player. He's very versatile. He can be an every-down back, a third-down back. He's a great teammate in the locker room. I think it's a great pickup for us."

Pittman isn't the only new face in the Broncos locker room Lynch is impressed with.

"They are all looking good," Lynch said.

Lynch was quick to point out the outstanding play of second-round pick Eddie Royal.

"Everyone's counting on Eddie Royal helping us in the return game, but he really showed something today out there as a receiver," Lynch said. "They're looking for ways to utilize him, and when you have a guy with speed and explosiveness like that, that's something that we could use. There are certain players that jump out at you, and he's one of them."

Royal isn't the only Bronco that has caught Lynch's eye, he is also been impressed with how quarterback Jay Cutler has looked and performed so far at camp.

"Jay looks great," he said. "Obviously he got his weight back on. It's easy in retrospect now to say, 'He's got a lot more energy,' but he does. He's got more pep to his step and is really looking good."
A captain with both the Broncos and Tampa Bay, Lynch sees Cutler as an emerging leader in the locker room.

"I think that was an important step that he took on during some adversity last year," Lynch said. "When there is adversity, you need your leaders. It's real clear that you need leadership from that position, and Jay is really stepping into that well."

shank
05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
in a way, the diabetes may help cutler as a leader. when other players see how he's working and flourishing in the face of the adversity, it should rub off.

glad to hear that eddy is impressing, let's hope it sticks...

and lynch is awesome, and still very valuable to our team. my ideal hope is that he imbues all of his work ethic and knowledge on barrett, because he has the physical tools to be a great player. hope lynch wins the job and finishes his career on a high note.

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
believing in rookie praise at wide receiver is like thinking you can actually understand girls.
when you think you finally got it, you find out that for every answer there are houndreds of new questions.
I dont put much hope on Royal except for his return ability. I will be satisfied with anything more than 300 yards receiving.

Fan in Exile
05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
believing in rookie praise at wide receiver is like thinking you can actually understand girls.
when you think you finally got it, you find out that for every answer there are houndreds of new questions.
I dont put much hope on Royal except for his return ability. I will be satisfied with anything more than 300 yards receiving.

Oh my goodness I'm so glad you said this. For all these years I've thought the super bowl was won in may, by how many good quotes teammates had about each other. If you had come along and said something even now I would still be confused. You are so smart I hope that someday I can be like you.

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh my goodness I'm so glad you said this. For all these years I've thought the super bowl was won in may, by how many good quotes teammates had about each other. If you had come along and said something even now I would still be confused. You are so smart I hope that someday I can be like you.

your welcome..... rarely do I get such praise so you must be a really smart person indeed to see I am really a misunderstood genious. :laugh:

Fan in Exile
05-29-2008, 07:50 PM
your welcome..... rarely do I get such praise so you must be a really smart person indeed to see I am really a misunderstood genious. :laugh:

Genius indeed:2thumbs:

TXBRONC
05-29-2008, 08:33 PM
when you think you finally got it, you find out that for every answer there are hundreds of new questions.
I don't put much hope on Royal except for his return ability. I will be satisfied with anything more than 300 yards receiving.

I agree the high praise is nice but believe he has a long way to go as receiver. Let's see how he does in camp, if can continue to impress in camp then maybe he'll make a significant contribution to the offense.

In my opinion if Royal provides a spark to our return game that would will be huge.

Ziggy
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
It's nice to hear good things about Royal. Of course, it was nice to hear the same kinds of praise about Hixon, Madise, Watts, and Devoe. Let's hope Eddie follows through with it throughout the season.

haroldthebarrel
05-30-2008, 09:40 AM
and while we are talking about the comparison between Steve Smith and Royal.

Remember he wasnt a stud receiver his rookie year. Far from it actually.
he only had 10 receptions for 154 yards as a rookie. with no tds.
he did have 3 tds as a punt and kick returner though.

BOSSHOGG30
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Second-round rookie WR Eddie Royal has stood out "both in maturity and skill" at Broncos OTAs.

Royal has already mastered the team’s playbook, always a good sign for a rookie receiver. Quarterback Jay Cutler noted Royal’s impressive speed and hands while Brandon Stokley thinks "he's got a chance to be a very good player for a long time." He's looking more and more like an intriguing dynasty league sleeper among rookie receiving prospects.
Source: Rocky Mountain News

GEM
05-30-2008, 10:01 AM
I was listening to 950thefan on the way home last night. I guess quite a few veterans are really high on Royal and it wasn't asked directly of them. Champ Bailey said a couple preseasons ago that he wondered how our new WR was around in the 4th round, he said the same about Royal. No guarantees there but it is encouraging! :D

Did anyone happen to catch the vid on the news last night about Pittman? Good lord, the guys got some guns! He's in pretty damn good shape for bein in the league 10 years. His wife is a looker too! :giggles:

NightTrainLayne
05-30-2008, 10:51 AM
His wife is a looker too! :giggles:

Pics please.

GEM
05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Pics please.

Lemme see what I can find. ;)

Davii
05-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Pics please.

Not the definition of looker I assumed, but true nonetheless.

http://blogs.webmd.com/eye-on-vision/uploaded_images/popper-773538.jpg

GEM
05-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Guns....
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/nicole0702/pittman.jpg

Guns wife....
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/nicole0702/pittmanwife.jpg

DenBronx
05-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Second-round rookie WR Eddie Royal has stood out "both in maturity and skill" at Broncos OTAs.

Royal has already mastered the team’s playbook, always a good sign for a rookie receiver. Quarterback Jay Cutler noted Royal’s impressive speed and hands while Brandon Stokley thinks "he's got a chance to be a very good player for a long time." He's looking more and more like an intriguing dynasty league sleeper among rookie receiving prospects.

i'm impressed already. i think royal is hands down better than desean jackson at wr and when he returns his first kickoff for a touchdown i think the critics will all shut up. royal also seems like a high character guy too...something we need.

underrated29
05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I dont really think his wife is all that great.... I mean if i was single and she was too i would hit but, not my type at all.

As far as royal. I like what you said above about him returning a kick before desean, but I am telling you and everyone. That its not as a returner where he is going to make his mark. Its as a WR.

I need to change my sig, and this is the perfect oppotrunity to do so.

Lonestar
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM

I find this to almost be unbelievable. I remember hearing almost the same comments about Scheffler only to find out that he really did not get it until about week 12 in his rookie year.. Since the full playbook is not played each week of the year, and the opponent dictates what plays are implemented each week.

I would caution everyone to remain optimistic yet believe it when you see it..

omac
05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I find this to almost be unbelievable. I remember hearing almost the same comments about Scheffler only to find out that he really did not get it until about week 12 in his rookie year.. Since the full playbook is not played each week of the year, and the opponent dictates what plays are implemented each week.

With Scheffler, I think it's just that he had much better chemistry with Jay; maybe they practiced on 2nd team together.

With Royal, maybe "mastered" is the wrong word. They probably meant he picked up the plays pretty quickly, or has pretty good head knowledge of the plays from studying them. The plays becoming 2nd nature is a different thing altogether.

BOSSHOGG30
05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Royal is a good route runner and showed flashes of that at the combine workouts. He really improved his stock there by showing everyone he isn't just a return threat.

omac
05-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Royal is a good route runner and showed flashes of that at the combine workouts. He really improved his stock there by showing everyone he isn't just a return threat.

Yeah, that was the knock against Ginn; one thing that should really help Royal is he's physically tough/strong, so he should adjust to the NFL a little better than pure speed guys.

nevcraw
05-30-2008, 06:59 PM
As much as I want him to be the next Steve Smith / Wes Welker (the patriot version) I would be beside myself if all he did was move the ball an extra 10 or so yds. on kick off's and Punts. Everyone's job on the whole team will be whole easier with a shorter field.

Watchthemiddle
05-30-2008, 07:18 PM

:laugh: - Kind of easy to master the playbook when its....follow the wedge right, left, or middle -:laugh:

j/k

I hope this kid brings us the spark we desperatly need whether it be on special teams, or at WR.

Scarface
05-31-2008, 09:42 AM

Hopefully it turns out similar to when Bailey was singing Brandon Marshall's praise when he was a rook.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 10:55 PM
and while we are talking about the comparison between Steve Smith and Royal.

Remember he wasnt a stud receiver his rookie year. Far from it actually.
he only had 10 receptions for 154 yards as a rookie. with no tds.
he did have 3 tds as a punt and kick returner though.

My view has been and continues to be that Royal will contribute mainly on Special Teams and anything he contributes to the offense is gravy.

Scarface
05-31-2008, 11:39 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2008/09000d5d8085f4f9_gallery_600.jpg

shank
05-31-2008, 11:41 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2008/09000d5d8085f4f9_gallery_600.jpg

that pass was off by 10 yards, eddy brought it closer with his mind. no joke.

TXBRONC
05-31-2008, 11:42 PM

Nice picture Scar. :beer:

broncohead
06-01-2008, 12:01 AM
that pass was off by 10 yards, eddy brought it closer with his mind. no joke.

Jedy mind tricks huh? It looks uncatchable.

shank
06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Jedy mind tricks huh? It looks uncatchable.

you shoulda seen it before!

DenBronx
06-01-2008, 02:57 AM

i dont think sheffler is the smartest duck in the pond though.