PDA

View Full Version : Broncos O-Line Still A Big Question Mark

Denver Native (Carol)
06-08-2010, 10:03 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.offensive.line.2.1740104.html

The only sure thing on the Denver Broncos offensive line right now is guard Chris Kuper, who secured a multi-year contract. Other than Kuper, the whole line is just one big question mark after another.

The offensive line has undergone a major overhaul. Veterans like Ben Hamilton and Casey Wiegmann are gone. They've been replaced by players who are younger, bigger and faster; guys that head coach Josh McDaniels hopes and expects to play with an edge.

"(J.D. Walton is) kind of a nasty guy, not personally, but on the football field, which is kind of a good attitude to have for an interior lineman," McDaniels said.

Walton was the Broncos third-round pick from Baylor in the draft. He doesn't mind McDaniels' characterization one bit.

"We're mean guys, so you've just got to take pride in that and just have fun with it," Walton said.

"When we're on the field it's all business and hard work and we're tough guys and we'll mush a couple faces in the dirt," rookie guard Seth Olsen said. "But when we're off the field we've got to be together. That's just how we have to play, we have to play as a unit."

It's going to take some time. The offensive line has to play in unison, but first they have to figure out where they will play. Zane Beadles was thought to be playing guard, but with Ryan Clady injured he could see time at left tackle, even if he might not be a perfect fit. It's been said his arms are a little short to play tackle.

"I've heard that plenty of times. What matters is how you use them," Beadles said. "As long as I can maximize my ability … I don't really get into the measurables too much. If you can play, you can play."

Olsen figures to be a swing man, playing wherever he's needed most.

"I played guard for three years in college, I played center this past year, so I'm pretty comfortable all over in the middle," Olsen said. "If they wanted me to play tackle I'd be comfortable with that too … it's all on Coach McDaniels."

Walton is sure where he's going to play. He's supposed to fill the vacancy at center.

"I've got to earn that position, you know. Ain't nothing given to you. So I've got to come out here and learn this offense as quick as I can and bust my butt," Walton said. "It's a detailed offense and it's going to take time to learn it."

"We knew we needed to add some interior depth offensively," McDaniels said. "It felt like we got players, Zane Beadles and J.D. Walton, that can do that."

McDaniels said they wanted to create a competition so that ultimately the best five players are on the field in September.

gobroncsnv
06-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Really the biggest question mark of the off season...and one of the more important ones EVERY year. the most unsung heroes in the league.

dogfish
06-09-2010, 01:22 AM
sloppy reporting there, gary miller-- he confused eric olsen with seth olsen. . .

MO can complain, but journalistic standards in the internet age have become utter garbage. . . the haste to get articles posted has completely overwhelmed even the most basic of editorial integrity. . . improper spelling and grammar certainly aren't a big deal on message boards, but is it too much to expect that our professional media communicate to us in proper and correct english?

Timmy!
06-09-2010, 01:45 AM
If, and that's an if for sure, Clady can come back healthy, and Harris stay healthy the O-line will be sick nasty for years to come. Walton was a steal. Kuper is money, and with either Olson or Beadles at LG I love it. We probably won't see what their capable of till late in the season or more likely till 2011 if all goes well, but the beef and youth is there. I really expect the running game to kick serious ass in the near future. The smash is going to be fun to watch :D

Lonestar
06-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Names not withstanding he seemed to have the same Ideas I have had.

The LOS play we have had for a long time has left a great deal to be desired.

It will take time for these guys get it together.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SOCALORADO.
06-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Names not withstanding he seemed to have the same Ideas I have had.

The LOS play we have had for a long time has left a great deal to be desired.

It will take time for these guys get it together.

I think they will be fine. Even without Clady, i think it will be a solid unit that will really find its stride by around week 4 or 5, but i will say i like Tebow behind this line than any other QB. If Tebow was already a year into the NFL and DEN drafted these guys it would be a much better situation, but oh well.
I liked every linemen pick this year. I think Beadles/Walton are really gonna suprise us.
As a matter of fact, i feel more comfortable about the linemen picks than i do about any other pick from this last draft!
These guys all had bios that highlighted that they are all nasty, mean, evil people on the field at their respective positions. I loved these picks.

Lonestar
06-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Well it certainly was a long time coming.