PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Offensive Line Thread

Ziggy
05-29-2008, 09:16 AM
In our 3rd installment of offseason roster predictions, name the Broncos 2008 starting offensive line and backups on opening day. Here's my prediction:

LT: Clady, Pears
LG: Gandy, Weigman
C: Nalen, Lichtensteiger
RG: Holland, Weigman
RT: Kuper, Harris

Yes, I left Hamilton off. He's on my list of surprise cuts, either through injury or poor play. Many will argue with this, but that's my opinion. I also think that Lichtensteiger may be placed on IR if he isn't fully healed, just to stash him away for next season without exposing him to the PS. Gandy starting at LG is a reach, but so was Holland when he was signed last season. I would have rather seen Kuper at LG, but I think Shanny wants him to be the bookend to Clady. He's been given first shot at the RT position, so I hope he plays well there. It's possible that Harris or Pears back up both tackle positions and we go with just 3 tackles also, but for now I left them both on the roster.

G_Money
05-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't think Lichtensteiger will be on IR if he's at all capable of playing. IR players can't (or at least aren't SUPPOSED to) practice with the team. PS players can and should.

Learning how to block in our system involves lots of film study, sure, but eventually you need to strap the pads on and get the play recognition and muscle memory working in your favor. Lichtensteiger is a great raw mass of clay to work with. He's mean, hard-working, great motor, etc. But he has problems with larger rushers (like say, the nose in a 3-4) and some other things to work on. The class of opposition he faced wasn't exactly top notch at Bowling Green.

If he's really Nalen's replacement (and IMO that's what he was drafted to be) then we need him working toward that. I don't think Nalen's back next year. JMO. Even if he's not ready to go to start the year, if he'll be okay a month in then they're not putting him on the year-ending IR list. Maybe the PUP list for 6 weeks...after which we have to carry him either on the roster or on the PS.

And I also think Hamilton makes the roster (and is the starting LG, freeing Kuper up to play RT). That leaves us with something like:

LG: Hamiltion, Lichtensteiger
C: Nalen, Hamilton
RG: Holland, Lichtensteiger

That's 8. I don't think we carry 9. In an emergency (see last year when our starting G and C were both lost) we can move Kuper back to G and play Pears at T again, start Lichtensteiger at G, move Hamilton to play C unless he's out too...there are options.

I doubt Lichtensteiger starts at C this year since it's the center's job to call all the line calls, and it's unlikely that Lichtensteiger would be familiar enough with the system we run to do that right off the bat.

But stranger things have happened.

If for some reason Lichtensteiger isn't good to go, then Wiegmann might stay, but I don't know that I see a real place for Gandy unless something is horribly wrong with Hamilton, as you suggest.

I don't think there is.

But RT is a fascinating (read, terrifying) position right now, with two guys that have zero games at the pro level potentially staffing it - one of whom has been a guard his whole pro career and the other of whom has chronic back injuries. We could wind up with Pears here again, which is something I'm hoping to avoid. Hopefully Lepsis was right about Harris and the kid will be golden - and Kuper's even better.

~G

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 09:57 AM
damn it is so cool to have people writing threads that actually contains football on a mainly football board.

I really like the potential of our line. perhaps we wont see the fruit until next year but we will eventually see it.
We have had such problems on SY and RZ and guys like Kuper, Holland, Licht and Clayd should go a long way. when they learn to work together that is.
We always get the yards running. What makes us a playoff team is how many rushing touchdowns we score.
Then we might also have a blocking fullback who is a little Larry Centers jr as far as receiving goes.

The last three drafts has netted us a lot of quality players. What is even better is that it has yielded a lot of great roleplayers as well.
Guys who can do one thing really well, and that is something we have lacked for a long time.

turftoad
05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
LT Clady
LG Kuper
C Nalen
RG Holland
LT Harris

This will be Nalens last year then Licht steps in and we have a good young line that will be playing together for years.

Let the rest be back ups and fall where they may.

underrated29
05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I think hammy is here for a while. A long while. I also think we might keep 9 and that the weigman stays on the roster.

We saw how bad we were with a beat up line, and I think that they dont want to take a chance that injuries could hit again and us not having ample replacements to protect jay, and to keep us in the run game.

So with that said i think we see again 2 qbs and probably 1 wr and 1 te less than normal to make up for that. Of course if we can get a kicker and a FG kicker that will save up 1 spot too.

so after all that I like the look of G's, but the weigman will be backing up there too.

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
LT Clady
LG Kuper
C Nalen
RG Holland
LT Harris

This will be Nalens last year then Licht steps in and we have a good young line that will be playing together for years.

I like this lineup better..............I don't think we'll see Kuper at Tackle.

underrated29
05-29-2008, 10:09 AM
LT Clady
LG Kuper
C Nalen
RG Holland
LT Harris

That would be me ideal situation, but i have this feeling it wont play out that way.

I hope so it does!!!1

Retired_Member_001
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
To be honest, Hamilton and Nalen are the biggest questions. I'd play Kuper of Hamilton even if Hamilton was healthy to be honest. Problem will be with Nalen. I have a feeling that Nalen will end up retiring just before the regular season. He's old now and his years will end up taking a toll on him.

I think that we will have a lineup of:

LT - Ryan Clady
LG - Chris Kuper
C - Kory Lichtensteiger
RG - Montrae Holland
RT - Ryan Harris.

However, there are two other variations:

LT - Ryan Clady
LG - Ben Hamilton
C - Kory Lichtensteiger
RG - Chris Kuper
RT - Ryan Harris

OR:

LT - Ryan Clady
LG - Chris Kuper
C - Ben Hamilton
RG - Montrae Holland
RT - Ryan Harris.

There is also the possibility of having Chris Kuper play RT.

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
To be honest, Hamilton and Nalen are the biggest questions. I'd play Kuper of Hamilton even if Hamilton was healthy to be honest. Problem will be with Nalen. I have a feeling that Nalen will end up retiring just before the regular season. He's old now and his years will end up taking a toll on him.

I think that we will have a lineup of:

LT - Ryan Clady
LG - Chris Kuper
C - Kory Lichtensteiger
RG - Montrae Holland
RT - Ryan Harris.

However, there are two other variations:

LT - Ryan Clady
LG - Ben Hamilton
C - Kory Lichtensteiger
RG - Chris Kuper
RT - Ryan Harris

OR:

LT - Ryan Clady
LG - Chris Kuper
C - Ben Hamilton
RG - Montrae Holland
RT - Ryan Harris.

There is also the possibility of having Chris Kuper play RT.

no way licht will start at center if Nalen retires. That spot would go to Wiegman. We are notorious for not playing our rookies esp on the offensive line, and not even I would have put two rookies starting in a ZB scheme.
If nalen retires it would be a battle between Wiegman and Hamilton and i think Wiegman would win it and Licht or Hamilton will only compete for the center spot if we are out of playoff contention.

lex
05-29-2008, 11:37 AM
LT Clady
LG Kuper
C Nalen
RG Holland
LT Harris

Are we running an unbalanced line?

turftoad
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Are we running an unbalanced line?

:confused:

Ziggy
05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
:confused:

He's referring to your typo on Harris being at LT. We knew what you meant.

Dean
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Kuper's dad has already posted that, at the moment, he is the starting right tackle. I don't see that changing unless there are injuries. He also posted that Nails was ready to go and Hamilton seems to be.

Unless Hamilton and Nalen are injured, I see them both starting. IMO the starting O-line will be Clady, Hamilton, Nalen, Holland, Kuper, and Graham.

turftoad
05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
He's referring to your typo on Harris being at LT. We knew what you meant.

Ahhh........... I guess everyone else was smart enough to figure it out.

Sorry Guys.

underrated29
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Kuper's dad has already posted that, at the moment, he is the starting right tackle. I don't see that changing unless there are injuries.

Hey wehre is kupesdad. I havent seen him on in forever.

topscribe
05-29-2008, 12:01 PM
In our 3rd installment of offseason roster predictions, name the Broncos 2008 starting offensive line and backups on opening day. Here's my prediction:

LG: Gandy, Weigman
C: Nalen, Lichtensteiger
RG: Holland, Weigman

Yes, I left Hamilton off. He's on my list of surprise cuts, either through injury or poor play. Many will argue with this, but that's my opinion. I also think that Lichtensteiger may be placed on IR if he isn't fully healed, just to stash him away for next season without exposing him to the PS. Gandy starting at LG is a reach, but so was Holland when he was signed last season. I would have rather seen Kuper at LG, but I think Shanny wants him to be the bookend to Clady. He's been given first shot at the RT position, so I hope he plays well there. It's possible that Harris or Pears back up both tackle positions and we go with just 3 tackles also, but for now I left them both on the roster.

I don't think this is so far out of reason, except that I don't believe Gandy is
all that much of a reach at LG. He did start in a Super Bowl game, after all,
so he must not be all that bad. If he can be only competent, then he will
have an advantage, playing between Nalen's excellence and Clady's raw
talent . . . and he has the experience to help Clady out. In fact, your
starting lineup there is exactly how I picture it.

However, if Lichtensteiger goes onto IR, which I deem a possibility, I believe
Hamilton will be kept, provided he is out of extraordinary risk of re-injury. He
will serve as backup, according to my scenario, to a bigger, stronger Gandy,
or they will bring Kuper back over if Harris turns out to be an upgrade over
Pears.

-----

Dean
05-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey wehre is kupesdad. I havent seen him on in forever.

He was posting earlier this week. I'm not sure if it was here or at Broncomania (Bronco country or whatever it is now officially called).

turftoad
05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
He was posting earlier this week. I'm not sure if it was here or at Broncomania (Bronco country or whatever it is now officially called).

Whats his user name?

topscribe
05-29-2008, 12:35 PM

I haven't seen him on this board. No one is registered as "kupesdad" here, and
I've seen no evidence here of anyone who would appear to be Kuper's dad.

-----

Dean
05-29-2008, 02:06 PM
The thread that I was thinking of is on Bronco Country message board and the title is position battles.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=116443&page=2

BOSSHOGG30
05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
LT - Clady, Pears
LG - Hamilton, Gandy
C - Nalen, Lichtensteiger
RG - Holland, Weigman
RT - Kuper, Harris

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 02:13 PM
if weigman stays he will be a back up center. Thats what he knows and where he has been a pro bowler. Why change the position of a veteran who will soon leave the game?
I bet Licht will get some reps at center and guard but I am certain he will be third string unless for some reason either of nalen or Wiegman is gone.

put it this way. if Nalen was gone again in the beginning of the season would you put in Wiegman or Licht? I sure would play with the former and the only reason I would put LIcht in is if we were out of playoff contention.

Lonestar
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
if weigman stays he will be a back up center. Thats what he knows and where he has been a pro bowler. Why change the position of a veteran who will soon leave the game?
I bet Licht will get some reps at center and guard but I am certain he will be third string unless for some reason either of nalen or Wiegman is gone.

put it this way. if Nalen was gone again in the beginning of the season would you put in Wiegman or Licht? I sure would play with the former and the only reason I would put LIcht in is if we were out of playoff contention.

I've called for getting the future OLINE on the field day one..

Why break in Clady this year and then have to replace Nalen next and most likely Hamilton the year after.. That way we do not have continuity with the future for 3 or more years..

The sooner this group can get on the field together and get the timing down the better..

Frankly unless all of the football Gods shine on us and frown on 3 or 4 other second tier AFC teams this team is going nowhere this year. If by chance they get into the playoffs they are no way close to being in the same league as Indy, NE or PIT..

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I've called for getting the future OLINE on the field day one..

Why break in Clady this year and then have to replace Nalen next and most likely Hamilton the year after.. That way we do not have continuity with the future for 3 or more years..

The sooner this group can get on the field together and get the timing down the better..

Frankly unless all of the football Gods shine on us and frown on 3 or 4 other second tier AFC teams this team is going nowhere this year. If by chance they get into the playoffs they are no way close to being in the same league as Indy, NE or PIT..

I hear you but would you like to basically give up on the season?
I have always liked Oline continuity and I think it would be best to play Clady this year and Licht next.
I dont want Cutler more harrassed. so many qbs have never reached their ceiling or reached it way late since they have acquired bad habits through bad O-line play.
I am certain Carr wouldnt ahve been a bust had he been drafted by clubs like Denver for instance.

any playoff experience is good, since we have a fairly young team and it would be the best to know what kind of level you'd have to play to be with the best. Thats my line of thought at least on this issue.

Dean
05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Here some information on the first depth chart at tackles. . .and here are some comments by Shanahan on it.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8023

haroldthebarrel
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Here is the first depth chart.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.id=334&storyID=8023

URL not found.

Dean
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Try the revised one.

Lonestar
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I hear you but would you like to basically give up on the season?
I have always liked Oline continuity and I think it would be best to play Clady this year and Licht next.
I dont want Cutler more harrassed. so many qbs have never reached their ceiling or reached it way late since they have acquired bad habits through bad O-line play.
I am certain Carr wouldnt ahve been a bust had he been drafted by clubs like Denver for instance.

any playoff experience is good, since we have a fairly young team and it would be the best to know what kind of level you'd have to play to be with the best. Thats my line of thought at least on this issue.

I think with Graham and any of the RB that we have right now Jay will be OK..

I'm, not suggesting that we tank the games at all just move on to the future that is IF Licthensteiger is a keeper.

Get the OLINE on the same page form day one.. By mid year they will either be on the same page or not.. It is doubtful that we will be much more than 1-6 by the bye anyway.. Get it done and keep Nalen and Hamilton as back ups..

I know when I play OG every time I had a newbies next to me on either side it was murder getting to know what they would do in a given situation.. Spreading that over 3-4 years IMO is nuts.. By the time the Hamilton retirees or is out played in two years these future OLINE could be ultra cohesive..

Playoff experience means nothing IF your getting your ass handed to it..

When DET beats you by almost 40 points your not ready for the playoffs.. IMO.. SAN kicked our ass twice last year and laughed in our faces and we could do nothing about it.. this team is not ready for the playoffs, face those facts..

G_Money
05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
The first link with the actual depth chart still won't come up for me Dean.

As for the 2nd link:

One place Shanahan expects improvement is on what he sees as a fluid offensive line. After the retirement of Matt Lepsis, both tackle positions are up for grabs. A number of candidates are looking to step up and fill that void.

"We’ve got Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris behind him, and Erik Pears is playing left tackle now," Shanahan said. "We’ve got some competition. We start with a depth chart – it doesn’t mean we’re going to finish there – but that’s where we start."

Denver's first-round draft pick Ryan Clady is another addition that should contribute to an improving offensive line.