PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow The Making Of A Quarterback

Spiritguy
06-08-2010, 04:31 PM
I enjoyed this read. It gives a glimpse into the processes that go on during OTA's and a bit about MCD too. I'm just putting the first page here. links at the end for the other pages. The original post by King is dated 14 June 2010 :confused:

The Broncos' coaches are breaking down their No. 1 pick and starting from scratch as they try to turn the Florida star into an NFL passer. It's weeks into Year One of what will be a long—and pivotal—drama for the franchise PETER KING

It's 8:50 a.m on a day in late May, and quarterback class is in session. In fact, this is already the second quarterbacks meeting of the morning at the Broncos' training facility in Englewood. Coaches and passers huddled at 8, followed by a full-team get-together at 8:30. The offense would meet afterward, at 9:15, followed by a third quarterbacks session at 9:55, a walkthrough at 10:30, then practice, lunch, film review and meetings in the afternoon. Dizzying.

Josh McDaniels, the Broncos' 34-year-old coach, stands at the whiteboard. Seated at an L-shaped table in the cramped meeting room are quarterbacks coach Ben McDaniels, Josh's 30-year-old brother, and the four signal-callers on the spring roster: Kyle Orton, the 2009 starter; challenger Brady Quinn, who was acquired in March from the Browns; Tom Brandstater, a second-year project out of Fresno State; and the No. 25 pick in the April draft, a Florida lefthander and the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, Tim Tebow.

The four students had their white binders open to follow the installation of some red zone concepts. They took notes in thin, loose-leaf notebooks. "You're going to have 50 passes in the game plan every week where you'll have one player open," McDaniels tells them. "I guarantee it. And you gotta find that one player. Quickly. You got to see it right away."

These quarterbacks have to know what McDaniels knows and to see what he sees. Too often last year, when Denver was 20th in scoring and finished 8--8, one or two players would be out of place or run the wrong route. So even if a smart quarterback like Orton knew exactly where he was supposed to throw the pass, he couldn't complete it because of his teammates' mistakes. But McDaniels is feeling free to add to his encyclopedic playbook because he has more confidence in his troops; nine prospective starters on offense are in their second year, as is the coach.

"All right, we've loaded the gun this year—we've given you Hoffa, Smoke, Smack, and now we've got Sleet," McDaniels says, rattling play calls. Tebow, the new kid, stares at the board, then back at McDaniels. His look says, Another one? Can I please get a grip on the first 539 concepts before you give me the 540th?

McDaniels doesn't pause. He draws up Sleet in black marker, with two receivers on the left and lines to indicate how one of them would, in essence, set a pick for the other to create an open man 10 yards downfield.

"Quarterbacks, you better be ready," he says. "We've got a blitz period today, and this blitz period is gonna test everything you know. Got it?"

"Yessir," the 22-year-old Tebow responds as the others nod. The quarterbacks put their notebooks away and head out to the next meeting. Asked later what was going through his mind when McDaniels drew up Sleet, Tebow says, "I'm very young. Right now, in this offense, I'm in elementary school. I'm understanding the concepts, but now I have to get comfortable with every one. I know I'll get them down. I know it."

In the NFL, teams install their offenses and defenses twice: once during organized team activities (OTAs) and minicamps in May and June, and again as a review during training camp in July and August. At the time of the late-May OTAs, Tebow was in his fifth week in McDaniels's system. During the offense's morning meeting veteran guard Russ Hochstein, who was with the Patriots for seven seasons when McDaniels was a New England assistant and an offensive coordinator, suggested that the coach set up blocking assignments in a more advanced manner, rather than relying on the quarterback to identify where the middle linebacker was and shift blockers accordingly. McDaniels said, in essence: Let's get the basics down first, then move on to a more sophisticated scheme. Hochstein persisted. "Look," McDaniels said, his blood pressure appearing to rise, "that's Calculus 5, what you're talking about. We're in pre-algebra right now. Just do what the quarterback tells you to do. Block your man."

The vibe in the quarterbacks room was also intense. "A year ago," said Orton afterward, "[2009 backup] Chris Simms and I were swimming the same way Tim is right now. This offense is tough. I feel great to be in the second year, knowing what I'm doing."

link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170592/1/index.htm) ... pg 2 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170592/2/index.htm) ... pg 3 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170592/3/index.htm) ... pg 4 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170592/4/index.htm) ... pg 5 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1170592/5/index.htm)

underrated29
06-08-2010, 04:58 PM
definitely a good read. I liked it!!

GGMoogly
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
One of the best articles on QBs in OTAs (not just Tebow) that I've EVER read. Really.

nevcraw
06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Does remind you of the long tough road TT has in front of him.. Going to have to temper our desires to see him light it up this year.. maybe going to be while. But very hard to bet that it won't happen..

Lonestar
06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I have only read page one but sounds a bit more compilcated than either Quinn, Tebow (last year) or orton played in CHI.

Not to mention that if a wr busts a route. They may not have anywhere to go with the ball.

Tis not draw it in the sand in the huddle any more.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncobryce
06-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Anyone want to argue Tebow should start this season after reading that?

Lonestar
06-09-2010, 09:34 AM
FWIW I placed the whole article in Football 101 so we can reference it down the road.

After reading that article I doubt he will a starter but think he will be a situational player only.

BrocoGator11
06-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Great article. You can tell Tebow has the right mindset to get the job done. Coach McD sounds like he has his priorities straight and is determined to get his team on track. I'm glad that Tebow understands that he's in "elementary school" but he will soon make his way up, there's no doubt about that.

Lonestar
06-09-2010, 09:44 AM
One thing I remember from last year.

Josh spent a lot of time with the QB's working on inflection of calling play at the LOS.

The thought was he wanted all of the QB's to be the same incase there was a change that the OLINE would hear the same thing on every play. Thus having less chance of a penalty.

Sounds pretty anal but little things add up winning consistently.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-09-2010, 09:45 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/tim.tebow.broncos.2.1740683.html

"I have a feeling Tebow will get a real chance to win the job this year."

Those are the words of sportswriter Peter King of Sports Illustrated in reference to Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos.

King wrote in his popular Monday Morning Quarterback column this week that he spent time at Broncos headquarters in Englewood last week for a story for SI and was interested to see that coach Josh McDaniels is now trusting his brother Ben to tutor the quarterbacks.

McDaniels hired his younger brother last year as an offensive assistant, and now Ben has a job that might involve just a wee bit of pressure: tweaking the throwing mechanics of one of the most closely scrutinized rookies in the NFL in years.

King writes that from what he saw in his time in Denver, he thinks Tebow "will have some red-zone and short-yardage chances."

King often has the inside scoop on lots of the doings in the NFL, so all those folks who expect Tebow will just be holding a clipboard on the sidelines throughout his rookie season might be in for a big surprise.

Spiritguy
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
FWIW I placed the whole article in Football 101 so we can reference it down the road.

Great Idea, now it just needs a bit of formating TLC ;) :listen:

Spiritguy
06-09-2010, 01:38 PM
here are a few quotes from later in the article that I really liked. There's just a lot of great info and insight in the piece. REC Peter King.

Last season McDaniels installed a misdirection screen that Matt Cassel had completed 29 out of 30 times with the Patriots in ’08. The play drove McDaniels crazy in Denver. The back would run the wrong way, or the tackle would take a bad angle to the screen point and be late. Not until Week 13, against the Chiefs, did the Broncos run it perfectly; the result was a seven-yard touchdown from Orton to receiver Brandon Marshall.

At Florida, Tebow was accustomed to the center identifying the middle linebacker and calling out the blocking assignments. In Denver he’ll have to spell out both the play and the protection in the huddle, then make adjustments at the line. For instance, he might see a safety coming down to act as the middle ‘backer. In Broncos practice, even though Brian Dawkins, number 20, isn’t a middle linebacker (the Mike, in football parlance), quarterbacks might go to the line, identify Dawkins as the pivot for the defense and call out, “20’s the Mike!”

During the offense’s morning meeting veteran guard Russ Hochstein, who was with the Patriots for seven seasons when McDaniels was a New England assistant and an offensive coordinator, suggested that the coach set up blocking assignments in a more advanced manner, rather than relying on the quarterback to identify where the middle linebacker was and shift blockers accordingly. McDaniels said, in essence: Let’s get the basics down first, then move on to a more sophisticated scheme. Hochstein persisted. “Look,” McDaniels said, his blood pressure appearing to rise, “that’s Calculus 5, what you’re talking about. We’re in pre-algebra right now. Just do what the quarterback tells you to do. Block your man.”

WARHORSE
06-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Well, I like it. Its not like we need someone to ride Tebow to get up to speed.

Tebow expects himself to get up to speed.

His head will spin, but it will spin working hard.

The Big Tebowski is gonna make an impact this year for the
B R O N C O S to benefit the team.

Guaranteed.