PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow: the next bobby anderson?

titan
06-08-2010, 07:52 AM
New entry on my sports blog about the Tebow pick (copy below)

http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

==============

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/tim_tebow.jpg http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/titanphotos/andersonb_01.jpg

I'm back to blogging again after a busy two months of travel. The biggest sports story in my absence was the Broncos drafting of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow in the first round. This move has been discussed and dissected by sports columnists and fans across the nation. "Brilliant move!" say some. "Major reach!" say others. Here's my take:

Tim Tebow is so compelling because of his character. He is a role model to many after his stellar career at the University of Florida. No doubt this played in a big part in the Broncos drafting him. This brings to mind another former #1 bronco draft pick. Flash back to 1970. No athlete was more admired in these parts than the hero of the University of Colorado, running back Bobby Anderson. Anderson had a great senior season for the Buffaloes, capped by a 254 rushing yard 3 td performance in the Liberty Bowl against Bear Bryant's famed Alabama defense.

Anderson also had great character. I remember him speaking to the youth group at my church. I was excited at the prospect of having my college football hero in Anderson playing in the backfield with my favorite pro player, Floyd Little!

What happened? Anderson had an injury plagued four years with the Broncos and never amounted to much as an nfl player. Years later I attended a celebrity golf tournament in Lake Tahoe Nevada where several big stars were present (Michael Jordan, John Elway, and others) Bobby Anderson was also one of the celebrity golfers. "Who is that?" said a guy standing next to me as I watched Anderson on the putting green. Anderson's stellar college career had long been forgotten. Anderson was and continues to be a great guy (he still is a part of the radio broadcast for the cu buffs) but he didn't succeed in the NFL.

I'm rooting for Tim Tebow and I think he does have a chance to become an effective NFL quarterback. I especially like his running ability, a quality lacking with last year's starter Kyle Orton. Denver's offense also features many short, quick passes - passes I think Tebow can handle. Still there are doubts from many pro scouts on whether Tebow can be an nfl qb. "After breaking down the film of Tebow, we cannot help but think he will struggle to succeed in the NFL unless he continues to improve. His offseason work helps, but Tebow must prove himself against competition," says Russ Lande, former pro scout writing in the Sporting News.

While Tebow's off the field activities are admirable, character alone does not make for a good NFL player. It didn't for Bobby Anderson, and it won't for Tim Tebow. I'm hoping the Broncos haven't placed too much emphasis on Tebow's winning personality in drafting him so high.

claymore
06-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Chances are Tebow will be a flop, and or never live up to the hype. I am hopeful that he succeeds in proving the naysayers wrong once again though.

As ive said before, Id rather float a 1st rd pick on a hard working Christian athlete, than an inner city thug any day of the week.

SOCALORADO.
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Chances are Tebow will be a flop, and or never live up to the hype. I am hopeful that he succeeds in proving the naysayers wrong once again though.

As ive said before, Id rather float a 1st rd pick on a hard working Christian athlete, than an inner city thug any day of the week.

Chances for Tebow are 50-50.
Sam Bradford has as big a chance of flopping as Tebow.
No one knows and trying to compare Tebow to some nobody from years ago is a stretch, to say the least. There really isnt even a comparison, the blogger just picked a random old player and said he saw him at a golf tounament. We already know he has great character. No need for comparisons.
Chances for Tebow are 50-50. Leave it at that.

Lonestar
06-08-2010, 08:18 AM
I suspect B Andersons lack of success was indeed due to injury. More than anything else.

He was a superb athlete as was his older brother. Had he had a better TEAM around him and Little I often wonder just how good they might have been.

I'm a firm believer that Tebow being the athlete and person he is will suceed in DEN to what degree only time will tell.

Thanks for the thread. I would have never put the two of them together.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

claymore
06-08-2010, 08:19 AM
No one knows and trying to compare Tebow to some nobody from years ago is a stretch, to say the least. There really isnt even a comparison, the blogger just picked a random old player and said he saw him at a golf tounament. We already know he has great character. No need for comparisons.

I think the chances of greatness are well below 50-50. But that goes for Bradford as well.

Dirk
06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I actually like the comparison you made with Anderson based on character with great athletic ability. However, that is as far as it can go at this point. Good job anyway Titan. :salute:

Dirk
06-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Amen to that! Pun intended! :beer:

Northman
06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Good article.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Really not fair to refer to Bobby Anderson as a nobody from years ago. He was a great athlete at CU, as well as having an "above average" career with the Broncos in the days when the Broncos struggled to win many games.

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/classic/content/individuals/anderson_bobby.html

titan
06-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I suspect B Andersons lack of success was indeed due to injury. More than anything else.

He was a superb athlete as was his older brother. Had he had a better TEAM around him and Little I often wonder just how good they might have been.

I'm a firm believer that Tebow being the athlete and person he is will suceed in DEN to what degree only time will tell.

Thanks for the thread. I would have never put the two of them together.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I just remember how excited I was as a kid when the broncos drafted Anderson, and he was the late 60's version of Tebow as far as character - just a great guy who volunteered alot and was a role model. Great collegiate player, too. Just never made it in the pros.

I'm really rooting for Tebow but I do have my doubts.

Shazam!
06-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Unless TT was actually hurt this has no relevence at all.

SOCALORADO.
06-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Really not fair to refer to Bobby Anderson as a nobody from years ago. He was a great athlete at CU, as well as having an "above average" career with the Broncos in the days when the Broncos struggled to win many games.

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/classic/content/individuals/anderson_bobby.html

Yeah, hes a nobody, who was sorta hyped because of where he went to college.
Theres millions of folks with character qualities just like Tebow. Any one of them could be compared to him regardless of sports or religion.
Tebow doesnt compare to Anderson in any way on the field as a football player. In fact, Tebow is very much opposite of anderson in that unlike anderson who was always injured and had a short unmemorable career because of it, Tebow is extremely durable and has played through a number of injuries without them slowing him down. Tebow has played in the national spotlight for 4 years at one of the most high profile, most highly criticized and loved colleges in the nation. A college with such a huge fan and media following that Tebow has set records for jersey sales since. Tebow also is/was the leader or field general of his team both off and on the field at all times.
Tebow will be remembered no matter what happens in the NFL simply because of his college achievements. But comparing him athletically to a guy who never really played, and doesnt have any of his same qualities is stretching it quite a bit. And again, i could compare Tebows charaxcter to any # of people. Brian Dawkins has alot of the same character qualities as Tebow, and they both play very physical style of football, might as well compare them.

topscribe
06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I was a HUGE Bobby Anderson fan, coming out of college, as I was his older
brother Dick, the latter who did achieve significant success in the NFL. However,
I was dubious as to how successful Bobby would be on the pro level. As it
turned out, my reservations were correct.

I have the same feelings about Tebow. I really, really hope I'm wrong. The
Broncos have had enough 1st round flops already . . . :mad:

-----

titan
06-08-2010, 03:29 PM
brother Dick, the latter who did achieve significant success in the NFL. However,

-----
I feel the same way - really rooting for Tebow but I'm having doubts. Hope I am wrong.

And I didn't call Bobby Anderson a nobody, Carol. He was a great great college player and a fine person. Just not successful at the nfl level and thus was not recognized on the national stage (like that golf tournament I went to in the 80's)

claymore
06-08-2010, 03:32 PM

-----

I bet you loved Dick. :love:

hamrob
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Tim Tebow can play in this league...but, don't expect him to look like John Elway or Steve Young for that matter. It's going to take time.

If he's ever going to be a successful starting QB in the NFL, he' first going to have to take his lumps.

I just hope that all the over the top expectations don't cause him to fail before he even begins.