PDA

View Full Version : Practice field won't display best of Tebow

Lonestar
06-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Practice field won't display best of Tebow
POSTED: 06/08/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Tim Tebow (Denver Post file photo)
Watching Tim Tebow in practice these days is kind of like watching Carmelo Anthony shoot free throws. It's nice and all, but there are so many other elements about his game not on exhibit.

For Tebow — the Broncos' prized rookie quarterback — practice is so scripted, his game seems stifled. Here's the play, here's the assignment, find the "mike" linebacker, recognize the blitzer, there's the checkdown receiver and — yawn — run the play.

Necessary fundamentals, no doubt. But Tebow came to Denver as the ultimate unscripted quarterback. What makes him special is when the pocket collapses, the receivers are covered and the script is ripped to pieces.

"You can't go out and practice — hey, guys, miss the protection on the right side on this play so we can see how he reacts," coach Josh McDaniels said Monday. "We want him to be as solid as we can get him to be playing in our offense without having to do that stuff.

"And then you put him in a game situation and the play breaks down and they can't tackle him, or they can't chase him or they can't catch him and now all of a sudden we buy ourselves four or five extra seconds in the pocket. Those are some plays we're going to see in the game, but sometimes we're not going to see in practice."

Kuper buying.

First steak dinner is on Chris Kuper.

"Not just any steak, either," said offensive tackle Ryan Harris. "Whoever makes the best, most expensive steak in Denver needs to get a hold of us."

Luckily for Kuper, the Broncos are down to 14 offensive linemen. And only 13 weigh at least 300 pounds. Chris Marinelli might have to get a second baked potato; he weighs only 298.

Kuper was the topic of offensive line conversation Monday after he received a five-year, $25.5 million contract extension at the close of business last week. His new money is on top of the $2.512 million salary he will draw this year.

"Kupe deserved

it," Harris said. "He's worked hard and played well here for a long time."
Kuper gave the Broncos a hometown discount. Had the right guard waited a year for the possibility of unrestricted free agency, where Mike Shanahan's Washington Redskins may have been lurking, he could have wound up millions richer. Kuper, though, realizes there are injury risks with playing a full NFL season.

"I'm elated to be here," he said.

Injury report.

For the second consecutive offseason practice, veterans were excused Monday so McDaniels could give reps to backups and newcomers. Rookie receiver Eric Decker (foot fracture) hasn't been cleared to work out. Harris, back last week from his big toe injury, has been practicing with a hard protective toe cup. He has lined up with the first- string offense at right tackle while rookie Zane Beadles has slid inside to left guard.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15248058

Lonestar
06-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Note it said for the second consecutive practice as they were on MONDAY. Most of the veterans were excused.

So we do not have to go through the has Orton been traded routine.

RIF
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
06-08-2010, 02:55 AM
decent little article from klis-- he's not typically as bad as woody and that brainless tool kiszla. . .

tebow's ability to improvise-- to both go downfield on some broken plays when he buys the receivers extra time by evading tackles, and to gain yardage and first downs by running-- IS something that can't be scripted or planned, and will more than likely lead to some of the bigger plays/moments in his career. . .

of course, someone will rightfully point out that his ability to develop into at least an adequate pocket passer if not better will probably be the factor that determines his ultimate success. . . which isn't wrong. . .

but there's no doubt that the athletic ability is part of what you get when you trade up to take a prospect like tebow. . . if dude was 6-foot-nothin' and barely two bills, he would've fallen several rounds like colt mccoy. . .

his passing will no doubt determine his ultimate ceiling, but that ability to add the different dimension, the one that D-coordinators can't specifically plan for, unquestionably increases his value. . .

he can play in wildcat formations, run QB draws, bootlegs and rollouts, etc. . . if mcD is the often genius we've been told he is, tebow gives him all kind of things to work with. . . we'll see what they can accomplish with it. . .

i'm hoping it's going to be fun watching tebow run around out there. . . elway's ability to escape sacks was one of the things that made him such a dangerous, feared quarterback. . . i want tim to make it just so we can have that again. . . it's just fun to watch, and it makes you legitimately feel like you've always got a chance if the score is still within reach given the time. . . i've heard interviews with opposing players and DCs saying basically the same thing about elway, as well as his offensive teammates. . . i believe he had the most 4th quarter comebacks of any QB in league history, and his penchant for the dramatic, make something out of nothing play had a lot to do with it. . .

broncophan
06-08-2010, 05:40 AM
"Necessary fundamentals, no doubt. But Tebow came to Denver as the ultimate unscripted quarterback. What makes him special is when the pocket collapses, the receivers are covered and the script is ripped to pieces."

I think he should have also said......."Tebow came to Denver as the ultimate "yes man", as well...........

claymore
06-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Note it said for the second consecutive practice as they were on MONDAY. Most of the veterans were excused.

So we do not have to go through the has Orton been traded routine.

RIF
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I know you cant read this, but WTF?

Northman
06-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I dont care if the QB can run around like a jackrabbit or not. I just want one who can make plays when he needs too and leads us to victories. Winning is all that matters.