PDA

View Full Version : Status of Rod Smith

Tebow4Ever
05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey all,I was just wondering what exactly the status of Rod Smith is. I know he had said he was retiring a while back but I hadn't seen anything official.Just curious as I think it would be great to see him on the field to help Royal develop.8-)

SR
05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
He's retired.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
This is the latest that I could find. I have not heard that he has officially retired.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_%3Ca%20class='srNewsTitleLink'%20href='http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8271283

In what is another step closer to the career end for Rod Smith, the Broncos have placed their all-time leading receiver on the reserve/retired list today.

It is not necessarily the final step of Smith's career, however.

The move was made for roster maintenance purposes. Any player on the retired/reserve list does not count against the team's offseason 80-man roster or its salary cap. Smith was to draw a $1.5 million base salary this season.

While Smith endorses the transaction, he is not completely surrendering hope he can overcome enormous odds and recover from the badly damaged left hip that forced him to miss the entire 2007 season.

Thus, the team will not hold a major retirement press conference befitting a player of Smith's stature. The team continues to hold his rights.

"At this point, he agreed to this move, but it leaves the door open for him to be reinstated if through rehab he's physically able to play again," said Tom Mills, Smith's agent. "That decision will come on another day."

Smith, who will turn 38 in May, is not only team's career leader in receptions (849), yards (11,389) and receiving touchdowns (68), but the all-time leader among NFL undrafted players in those categories.

He had major hip surgery following the 2006 season but did not recover as hoped. He recently underwent a second procedure on the hip.

DenverBronkHoes
05-29-2008, 01:36 AM
technically he has 1 year left... but this is the NFL

whatever Rod decides will be in the best interest of Rod, his family, and the team. He will always be apart of the team. Dont be surprised to see him as a WR coach, maybe head coach one day....

He's hall of fame material, all class... family man with a business mind. Came from basically nothing.... His favorite word is HUMBLE....

The most prolific undrafted rookie free agent in NFL history will always be apart of this..

ill be there in 5-6 years to see it happen

Stargazer
05-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Unfortunately, I think he's done wearing Bronco uniforms on Sunday. And I wonder why he is waiting to officially announce he's retired.

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 06:21 AM
I thought he had a total hip replacement?

Retired_Member_001
05-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Rod really shouldn't even attempt to come back. He's done, through, finished. He's been a legend for us, but you need to know when to call it quits. I assume that Rod wants to be able to walk in his fifties.

BMF Bronco
05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
As much as I love Rod, I don't think it would be beneficial to either him nor the team to try and make a comeback this year. In a perfect world the Broncos would keep him on as a WR coach, or hell even the team "Godfather".

NightTrainLayne
05-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't think Rod has any interest in coaching, IIRC he has specifically stated so in the past.

I think he'd be a great motivator, but if his heart isn't in it, then on to other pursuits.

DenverBronkHoes
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think Rod has any interest in coaching, IIRC he has specifically stated so in the past.

I think he'd be a great motivator, but if his heart isn't in it, then on to other pursuits.

i will tell u now, Rod will be apart of this team, someway or another, for many years to come.....

mark your calenders

BMF Bronco
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
thankfully I read that internet lexicon thread so I now know what the hell IIRC means.

underrated29
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
He isnt techinically retired, but he will never play another down again. So yes he is retired.

Even if he comes through healthy and the hip is 100% and ready to go. He is now another year older. How fast, how strong at blocking etc. Do you think someone pushing 39 is going to be against stronger players in their early 20's?

He wont be the rod we remember if he comes back. He knows it, the staff knows it. Its just a matter of admitting it.

DenverBronkHoes
05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
rod knows best..... hes not the type of guy who will push it...... who will not admit hes done...

he knows if he can still bring something to the table...

personally.... id like to see him in 1 more game.... id like to see 1 more catch, 1 more TD, 1 more humble......

unfortunately it isnt about what i want......

he will always be my favorite bronco..... he will always be the greatest bronco ever in my book.

NightTrainLayne
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
thankfully I read that internet lexicon thread so I now know what the hell IIRC means.

It was my first chance to use it, since deciphering the meaining.

Flatinum
05-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Done.

nevcraw
05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Smith to stay around Broncos

May 29, 2008 3:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Broncos put their all-time leading receiver Rod Smith on the reserve/retired list earlier this year; although Smith has yet to officially make an announcement. Still, the word is the Broncos have no expectations of Smith returning.

Smith is rehabbing from his second major hip surgery in less than a year. Smith is focused on his recovery but is not currently thinking about playing. Smith turned down Denver's offer to become the receivers coach in February. However, he is expected to stick around the team in a consultant's role. Smith didn't play in 2007 because of the injury but was a constant presence around the team.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wants Smith to stick around this year because of his leadership. Smith is one of Shanahan's all-time favorite players and the undrafted free agent turned star will always have a place in Denver.

Stargazer
05-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Smith to stay around Broncos

May 29, 2008 3:55 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Broncos put their all-time leading receiver Rod Smith on the reserve/retired list earlier this year; although Smith has yet to officially make an announcement. Still, the word is the Broncos have no expectations of Smith returning.

Smith is rehabbing from his second major hip surgery in less than a year. Smith is focused on his recovery but is not currently thinking about playing. Smith turned down Denver's offer to become the receivers coach in February. However, he is expected to stick around the team in a consultant's role. Smith didn't play in 2007 because of the injury but was a constant presence around the team.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wants Smith to stick around this year because of his leadership. Smith is one of Shanahan's all-time favorite players and the undrafted free agent turned star will always have a place in Denver.

I think we all know Rod is done wearing the uniform.

GL to Rod Smith. And whatever he chooses to accomplish next.

weazel
05-30-2008, 12:46 AM
#80 :beer:

BMF Bronco
05-30-2008, 01:15 AM
wow, what timing!

shank
06-03-2008, 05:54 PM
new video on broncos site, rod says he's feeling good, still working and still sees a comeback as a possibility. he also says he's open to any role available with the broncos because he loves the team.

i'm happy if rod smith has anything to do with this team, really hope he's involved in any way he's able.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
new video on broncos site, rod says he's feeling good, still working and still sees a comeback as a possibility. he also says he's open to any role available with the broncos because he loves the team.

i'm happy if rod smith has anything to do with this team, really hope he's involved in any way he's able.

Totally agree - if Rod can not contribute as far as playing, he will be just as valuable as a coach, mentor, etc.

Lonestar
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM

if you have link post it.. TIA

shank
06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

can't figure out a direct link, it's the top video.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-03-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8062

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As the offseason progresses, the Broncos seem to be getting more and more comfortable with each other. That was obvious Tuesday, as the offense and defense seemed to be clicking on all cylinders on the second day of team camp. Part of the motivation might have been the presence of a Bronco superstar watching from the sidelines.

LEARNING FROM A LEGEND

Wide receiver Rod Smith made an appearance at practice, and he talked with some of the younger receivers afterwards, doling out a few pointers and bits of advice.

"Anytime you have a player with the experience like him and the career he has had, you want to listen and take good notes and try to implement them into your game," receiver Keary Colbert said.

Colbert made it clear when he was introduced as a Bronco that Rod Smith is one of his idols. Colbert said one of his personal goals is to try to do what he can to fill the giant shoes Smith left behind.

"He has had a career that has been remarkable," Colbert reiterated. "I’m really trying to put in a career and a season like he has done in the past. That’s the start of it really, getting to know how to do it through him. He has the blueprint, and I just have to follow it."

Smith has remained a part of the Broncos family despite sitting out last season and being put on the reserve/retired list this past February. Smith has still yet to give a concrete answer as to his future with the team, but he hasn't ruled out retiring or coming back to play. In the mean time, Smith said he's enjoying his time and playing with his children, but also loves helping out current Broncos with whatever they need.

"I love the Denver Broncos, I love the organization, so there ain’t nothing that I wouldn’t do to help," Smith said. "Whether it is on the field or off the field, anything I can do, even just sitting there and talking to some of the guys who are playing receiver now, just giving them little tips and stuff like that.

"I enjoy that because I know it is going to help them, therefore it helps the organization. There isn’t anything that I wouldn’t do to get us back to where I feel we belong."

So what sort of advice to Smith give to Colbert?

"Just trusting my speed, trusting the technique in certain routes," Colbert said. "I have to come out here the next couple of days and practice it, perfect it.

"I’m ready to get it going."

CARRYING A LOAD...

Seventh-round pick Josh Barrett is enjoying some of the perks of rookie life already this season. On his way in from practice, Barrett was spotted alongside fellow rookie defensive back Jack Williams carrying quite a few extra helmets.

"It’s kind of an unwritten law I guess and a rite of passage in some respects, but it just comes with it," Barrett said. "No big deal."

Barrett said there hasn't been any hazing in the locker room, though. Adding that no one's been taped to any goalposts -- yet.

"Nothing like that," he said. "The guys here are real cool, if you have questions they’ll take time and answer them. There hasn’t been any hazing by any means."

There is a little extra responsibility that comes with being a rookie, Barrett said, and a lot of it has to do with high expectations, both from yourself and from teammates and coaches. Barrett has been meeting those expectations so far in camp, and says the transition has gone fairly smoothly. The biggest difference between college and the NFL, he said, is freedom.

"Between the coaching staff, the personnel, you’re more of a grown individual at this level," he said. "If you don’t do something or if you’re not responsible, that’s on you. This is a profession, whereas in college you were a student, that was pretty much a profession in itself, and then football came. It’s different in that respect."

OBSERVATIONS

- Tuesday's practice seemed to belong to the defense. In the various 7-on-7 drills throughout the afternoon, safety John Lynch intercepted two passes, linebacker D.J. Williams grabbed a tipped ball and fellow 'backer Boss Bailey made up for a near-interception earlier in the practice by notching one of his own. The defense on the sideline didn't mind letting the offense know who was winning.

- Not to be outdone, offensive lineman Erik Pears turned a broken play into a gain by snatching a tipped ball out of mid-air and running a few yards before being pushed out of bounds. That got the offense and defense riled up -- cheers of "I see you, Big E!" could be heard from both sides.

- Wide receiver/kick returner Glenn Martinez saw quite a few balls thrown his way, as he grabbed several passes in traffic and reached out for a long catch over his left shoulder during a drill that drew cheers from the rest of the receivers.

- Marlon McCree got a few snaps with the first team, occasionally switching out with fellow safety Lynch. McCree was spotted wearing a No. 20 jersey, made available by the release of running back Travis Henry. McCree also wore No. 20 with the San Deigo Chargers. Running back Michael Pittman switched to No. 28, McCree's previous number.

Rick
06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Rod can't play, is on retired/reserver list...and STILL shows up for work...

THenry on the active roster, fighting for a spot...does not...

That's why Rod will have a spot in this organization as long as he wants...and THenry is down at the local job core.

scott.475
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Awesome, go Rod. When he was in his prime, I am not sure if anyone was faster at getting his upper body spun around and headed up field. I also loved the uniqueness of how he looked when he played. He'd get pointed upfield with those shoulders rolled forward and head lowered, had a unique gate to his run as well. You could also tell by watching his play that he was not the natural super-athlete a lot of these guys are, and that he really had to work hard to be as good as he was.

I am totally surprised that he is actually entertaining the idea of coaching...really did not think that would happen.

I also LOVE that McRee already took THenry's jersey! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Lonestar
06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
sounded to me like he was not ruling out being on the field next fall..

Trying to get into shape and see what hurts and what does not.. Sounded like he had been hurt for a couple of years.. just played through it.

We could do worse than having Rod back on the field, hell we already have..

scott.475
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
All class, all team...awesome.

Tebow4Ever
06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
This was a GREAT article to read about. A week after I start this thread about the status of our teams greatest reciever we find that he is still hanging out at training camp. I am praying he continues to stay with the team in some sort of role. Would be great to see him in a uniform again but I know how we all feel about that. Cheers!

scott.475
06-04-2008, 10:29 PM
"That's like disrespectful," Smith said with a grin.

The way Pat Graham used this in the above article, I think, misses the context of how Rod said it. They way it reads makes it sound like Rod was saying it is disrespectful to him to call him a coach, but if you watch the video, Rod clearly says it is disrespectful to the coaches to call him a coach yet, because of the work and long hours the coaches put in.

If anybody has not yet gone to the Broncos site and actually watched the Rod interviews, you really need to. The amount of respect and love he has for the Broncos is not truly conveyed in the written articles, but is quite obvious in the videos.