PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Orton, Quinn, Tebow compete in a great race

Lonestar
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Paige: Broncos' Orton, Quinn, Tebow compete in a great race
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
POSTED: 06/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Tim Tebow (15) and Brady Quinn (9) are backups for now. Coach Josh McDaniels expects them to challenge Kyle Orton to be the Broncos' starting quarterback. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )
Last June, during the Broncos' minicamp, Kyle Orton was named the starting quarterback for the 2009 season.

He will not get that same designation for 2010 this week at minicamp.

The Broncos' starting quarterback probably won't be decided before the Aug. 21 exhibition in Denver against the Lions — and perhaps not until a week later when the team plays the Steelers.

A year ago on June 12, Orton — as anticipated, but not quite that soon — was called into Josh McDaniels' second-floor office at Dove Valley and told that he would be the starter. Orton beat out veteran free agent Chris Simms and rookie Tom Brandstater. Orton won't have to worry about them again. Both are gone.

This time around Orton's challengers have stronger resumes and higher profiles; the Broncos and Orton are coming off last season's gruesome second-half collapse, and the coach has declared an extended open competition for No. 1.

The Broncos have a good (or bad) old-fashioned Quarterback Controversy.

I asked McDaniels on Friday afternoon: "Does Brady Quinn (entering his fourth NFL season and first with the Broncos) have a legitimate chance to be Broncos' opening-Sunday starter?" The coach replied: "Yes."

Then I asked if Tim Tebow, the rookie first-round draft choice, has a chance to become the starter. The answer was the same. "Yes."

It's obvious Orton, currently No. 1, has a chance.

McDaniels is now an equal opportunity employer.

Orton will have to earn back his starting quarterback job. There are, McDaniels has said, "no guarantees" for the five-year veteran (29-19 overall as a starter, 17-13 the past two seasons).

With the release of Brandstater (truth is, he hadn't worked hard enough in the offseason to stay even with the others), McDaniels has sacked three quarterbacks since taking over (placing him 14 behind Elvis Dumervil).

It's assumed by the unwashed mass media that this trio will be on the roster all season, but the only sure things are life, death and rising cable bills.
After the "voluntary passing camp," finally ending Wednesday and the full-fledged "mandatory minicamp" next weekend, the continuing "optional" OTAs, the "official training camp" in late July, and the "preseason friendlies" of August, which horse will win?

An oddsmaker would make Orton the early-line betting favorite at 2-1, Quinn the second choice at 11-2 and Tebow the longshot at 25-1.

But backroom bookies, Belmont bettors, bartenders and Broncobackers don't know, and that's why they run the race.

The so-called "smart money" in Colorado will be on Orton and Quinn, but in Florida Tebow is even money, which is why the website "BroncoGator.com" has produced a logo that is an amalgamation of a toothy alligator and the Broncos' emblem. It looks like a swamp monster out of a bad "B" teen-slasher flick. (The Broncos' season-opening game, Sept. 12, is in Tebow's hometown — Jacksonville.)

Tebow's No. 15 Broncos jersey is the No. 1 seller in the land, while Orton's No. 8 jersey is a deep-discount item at the team's online shop. There's almost no interest in Quinn's Love Potion No. 9.

The most popular Broncos jersey at the Dove Valley headquarters remains, as always, No. 7.

The online shop offers this description: "Reebok Orton #8 replica home (blue) jersey, original price $79.95, sale priced

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION

Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

$27.00." The non- replica jersey "was $60 — now $20."
Which is kind of sad, especially compared to the lonely No. 15 "Marshall" jersey on a hanger, also marked down to 20 bucks. But few Orton jerseys were worn at the stadium last season.

Along with the other veterans, Orton was freed from practice Friday, as Quinn and Tebow got all the reps and media attention. Afterward they did dueling interviews several feet apart.

Quinn seemed to have the slight edge in the session. Tebow threw two "touchdowns" and one miserable out pattern. Quinn said he might have an advantage because he has been training in Denver since his mid-March acquisition from the Browns.

It is known that he worked out with the Broncos' wide receivers two dozen times before the passing camp, while Tebow, according to league rules, wasn't allowed at Broncos central before the rookie camp. Orton, a restricted free agent who isn't forced to participate in the OTAs, hadn't thrown to his receivers until the passing camp.

The Broncos will have their first true QB clash for opening-game starter since 1999. The season before, Bubby Brister had replaced the injured John Elway and went 4-0. Brister appeared to have the upper arm over Brian Griese, who played briefly in one game his rookie season. But, before the final exhibition, Mike Shanahan named Griese as the regular-season starter. The Broncos finished 6-10.

McDaniels was asked Friday if he's happy with the three quarterbacks left on the roster. "I would hope so."

So would the three.

The race is on.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15236442

Shazam!
06-07-2010, 12:28 AM
The Broncos will have their first true QB clash for opening-game starter since 1999. The season before, Bubby Brister had replaced the injured John Elway and went 4-0. Brister appeared to have the upper arm over Brian Griese, who played briefly in one game his rookie season. But, before the final exhibition, Mike Shanahan named Griese as the regular-season starter. The Broncos finished 6-10.

BB was just friggin' awful in the '998 preseason. I couldve played better.

FanInAZ
06-07-2010, 12:37 AM
McDaniels has sacked three quarterbacks since taking over (placing him 14 behind Elvis Dumervil).

I just found this line to be humorous.

Dirk
06-07-2010, 06:06 AM
I still think Orton starts the season. But, you never know.

TXBRONC
06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
I still think Orton starts the season. But, you never know.

Imo it's always more important to watch what a head coach does rather than what he says because the words don't' always match the actions. Nevertheless McDaniels has said on any number of occasions that Tebow could possibly start sometime this year. We'll have to see how it plays itself but as right now no matter or tentative Orton's hold is starting job it's still his to lose.

Lonestar
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM
So far I like what I hear. Pressure being placed on Orton to up his game, by Quinn, getting rid of a QB that was not going to be a difference maker.

Also sounds like Tebow is closing the gap on Quinn the best of all worlds having 3 guys making the others better.

Let the best QB win.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tempus Fugit
06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Barring injury, I expect that Orton will the the #1 QB starting the season. The interesting speculation, in my mind, is about how the team will use the #2 and #3 designations on game day.

TXBRONC
06-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Even so I remember Shanahan saying years later that he probably should have let Brister start.

rcsodak
06-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Barring injury, I expect that Orton will the the #1 QB starting the season. The interesting speculation, in my mind, is about how the team will use the #2 and #3 designations on game day.

Ditto.
But if you go back to how he says he prepares differently for every opponent, I can see his #2 and #3 being interchangeable, depending on the next week's game.

rcsodak
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Even so I remember Shanahan saying years later that he probably should have let Brister start.

Just as he did with Jake's last year. Guess he has a propensity to pull the string a little early.

lol Reminds me of KC when they started Elvis over Gannon in the playoff.

frauschieze
06-07-2010, 11:27 PM
I just found this line to be humorous.

Does not resigning Ramsey count as sack #5?

sneakers
06-07-2010, 11:34 PM

If Brister would have been better in the Preseason, then Griese would not have started, and he wouldn't have thrown that interception that lead to Terrell Davis tearing up his knee!

Lonestar
06-07-2010, 11:36 PM
If Brister would have been better in the Preseason, then Griese would not have started, and he wouldn't have thrown that interception that lead to Terrell Davis tearing up his knee!

I'll never forgive him for that. May the curse of the POX live in his house.

TXBRONC
06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Just as he did with Jake's last year. Guess he has a propensity to pull the string a little early.

lol Reminds me of KC when they started Elvis over Gannon in the playoff.

A little early? Plummer started the first nine games before for his subpar play.

Northman
06-08-2010, 12:27 AM
A little early? Plummer started the first nine games before for his subpar play.

Actually, Jake was playing poorly for most of the year. Shanny kept waiting for him to snap out of it but he never did.

GGMoogly
06-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Actually, Jake was playing poorly for most of the year. Shanny kept waiting for him to snap out of it but he never did.

I liked the Snake. I was really surprised he melted down that quickly and completely. I wonder what that was really about; if JC was in his head or if he was burned out or what?! :confused:

TXBRONC
06-08-2010, 01:22 PM

That's what I was trying say. He played poorly to say the least for nine games before Shanahan gave him the hook.

dogfish
06-11-2010, 09:37 PM
from rotoworld:

Brady Quinn-QB-Broncos Jun. 11 - 7:01 pm et

Coach Josh McDaniels is leaning toward keeping only two quarterbacks active on game days this season.

Activating a third QB would "put us behind the eight ball at other spots," explained McDaniels. The Broncos will want Tim Tebow active for situational work, so Brady Quinn will likely be the odd man out.
Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_nfl.aspx

LMFAO!

that didn't take long. . . so much for the school of thought that quinn's this great quarterback who just got a raw deal in cleveland, and he's only waiting for some decent coaching to turn him into a champion. . .

bottom line, dude just sucks. . .

*sits back to await the "it's only a fantasy football site" replies from those deluded enough to still think quinn can be a usable NFL quarterback*

broncobryce
06-11-2010, 10:38 PM
from rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_nfl.aspx

LMFAO!

that didn't take long. . . so much for the school of thought that quinn's this great quarterback who just got a raw deal in cleveland, and he's only waiting for some decent coaching to turn him into a champion. . .

bottom line, dude just sucks. . .

*sits back to await the "it's only a fantasy football site" replies from those deluded enough to still think quinn can be a usable NFL quarterback*

I don't know what you mean. Tebow will be the one cut.:lol:

dogfish
06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Josh McDaniels: "No doubt" Orton is the starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 12, 2010 5:24 PM ET

Kyle Orton lined up with the Broncos starters to open the offseason, and that's where he'll remain heading into training camp.

"[Orton is the starter. He is the starter, no doubt," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday, in a variety of different ways. Here's another:

"There's nothing to be resolved really. We've got a guy who's going to go into camp as the starter, no question about it and he deserves it and if somebody comes in there and plays better than he does then that player will play."

It doesn't sound like Brady Quinn is overly close to passing Orton, but it's also silly to draw many conclusions from non-padded practices.

"It's clear, I think, that Kyle is definitely ahead, there's no question," McDaniels said. "He's playing that way and the other two guys -- I don't know if it matters if it's close or not but they're going to keep pushing him and working hard to try to improve their game so that they can make it close."

Critics of Orton have questioned his competitiveness and passion in the past. Perhaps acquiring Quinn and Tim Tebow has helped to light a fire under him.

http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballtalk.com%2Frumormil l.htm

rcsodak
06-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Yes, a little early.

Like, BEFORE the season was over.

Mind I remind you of the record?

Oh, wait...that doesn't matter, all of a sudden. Jake had some bad games. :rolleyes:

Shanny heard the fat lady singing, and he felt he HAD to play his new wonderboy. He went "all in".

Coach-killer 1.
Shanny 0.

dogfish
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
rc, you really went and dug up an orton, quinn, tebow thread that was buried weeks ago. . . to make a post about jake plummer?

come on, man, that's just SAD. . .

you guys really can't let it go, even now?

alright, sorry-- carry on. . . .

rcsodak
06-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I liked the Snake. I was really surprised he melted down that quickly and completely. I wonder what that was really about; if JC was in his head or if he was burned out or what?! :confused:

I think it's pretty obvious something was said/overheard. Why else would Jake's number's drop in almost every statistical area? Following a 13-3 season?
TD's down/Int's up/sacks up/ypa down/ypc down/qbrating down/ etc.

They had a 7-4 record when he got yanked for a rookie QB. They were in the running for a playoff spot.
The only way a HC does that is if he's giving a significant number of snaps to the rook, instead of the starter. That way he can "justify" his action, saying he's "ready"/"will give us a better chance of winning"/"won the spot". In other words, IMO, he was deliberately hurting the team to further his waning, mediocre HC career with the Broncos.

I now relent to the uber-non-repentant Shanny followers/Jake haters.

T.K.O.
06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
jake was a pretty damn good QB.and has a super hot wife:elefant:

HORSEPOWER 56
06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
I think it's pretty obvious something was said/overheard. Why else would Jake's number's drop in almost every statistical area? Following a 13-3 season?

He also had Javon Walker that year who played very well for us. I think it was a mental toughness thing on Jake's part. He didn't like looking over his shoulder. He was used to being backed up by BVP and Matt Mauck who had no chance of challenging him for the starting spot.

They had a 7-4 record when he got yanked for a rookie QB. They were in the running for a playoff spot.
The only way a HC does that is if he's giving a significant number of snaps to the rook, instead of the starter. That way he can "justify" his action, saying he's "ready"/"will give us a better chance of winning"/"won the spot".

Or maybe it's because Jake's play had become a liability. He'd thrown more INTs than TDs when he got the hook. Plummer was getting worse by the week.

In other words, IMO, he was deliberately hurting the team to further his waning, mediocre HC career with the Broncos.

I think you, and maybe JR, are the only person(s) who would ever refer to Shanahan's HC career as "mediocre". Did it end as well as it started? No. But when you can count on 3 fingers the amount of losing seasons we had with him along with the two Lombardis, it really just sounds like you're "hating" on him. Waning yes, but FAR from mediocre.

Lonestar
06-30-2010, 03:18 AM
The hand writing was on the wall for Jake when they changed the offense for a more jay friendly pocket passing style.

Long before they had the horses on the LOS to pull it off. Not even sure if we do now and we raverage about 30 pounds heavier on the LOS than back then.

It was apparent to Jake he was being replaced after a career year and a 13-3 record. Classy act IMHO. And where are all thos players and coaches today.

None of them are as happy as Jake is.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NittanyBuff24
06-30-2010, 06:41 AM

Yes he should have, was the beginning of the end for the Dynasty!

GGMoogly
06-30-2010, 08:46 AM

The only way a HC does that is if he's giving a significant number of snaps to the rook, instead of the starter. That way he can "justify" his action, saying he's "ready"/"will give us a better chance of winning"/"won the spot". In other words, IMO, he was deliberately hurting the team to further his waning, mediocre HC career with the Broncos.

I now relent to the uber-non-repentant Shanny followers/Jake haters.

I don't think ANYTHING is obvious in this league. I liked Shanny, too, and as much as I liked Jake, he was stinking up the joint when the switch was made. I would have done the same thing. At least that's how I see it through bleary, drunken eyes at this ungodly hour of the morning. :cheers:

Ravage!!!
06-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Jake was over the moment a new QB was drafted, and he knew it. Thats why his numbers dropped. He already didn't like studying film. To him, he didn't have any motivation to get better because he already knew he only had one more year in Denver anyway. Jake was sucking that season... horribly. His play was terrible. Jake hung it up early, and our offense IMPROVED when he was pulled and replaced by the rook.

Jake quit on that season, as far as caring goes. Thats why his numbers dropped. You don't have to 'overhear' something. When a QB is taken in the first round, its CLEAR AS A BELL that you have been replaced. Just as Orton has been replaced.