PDA

View Full Version : Phonz = Stud

honz
06-06-2010, 08:58 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/smith-99852-broncos-tough.html

ENGLEWOOD – A few rookies master the NFL right away, but it’s rare. Most first-year players can relate to Alphonso Smith.

The Denver Broncos drafted Smith, a cornerback out of Wake Forest, in the second round last year. There’s always pressure on second-round picks but it was magnified for Smith because the Broncos traded a 2010 first-round pick to take him. That pick ended up being 14th overall.

Smith was fantastic in college. He had the 10th most interceptions in college football history. None of that success translated right away to the NFL. He couldn’t win the nickel cornerback job in training camp. During the season, 35-year-old Ty Law and practice-squad member Tony Carter were signed and immediately promoted ahead of Smith. And when Smith had to play because of injuries, he didn’t play well.

“If I can be honest with you, I have no room for excuses - I just wasn't good enough,” Smith said. “That's the bottom line. I wasn't good enough mentally, physically, in a lot of phases.”

Smith’s reconstruction started this offseason. Although the Broncos signed veteran cornerback Nate Jones this offseason, the coaching staff showed it hasn’t given up on Smith. He was the third cornerback in the first offseason practices instead of Jones, although Jones was ahead of Smith in a recent practice. The two will battle for the spot in training camp.

Smith seems better prepared for the challenge than he was last year.

“You come in as high as I came in and you don't play as well, you kind of have a chip on your shoulder because everyone is now looking at you; everyone is questioning why you were picked so high,” Smith said. “For me, personally, I do have a chip on my shoulder. I just want to work, get better and hopefully I can be a better football player for this team.”

After getting a hard lesson as a NFL rookie, the most important thing for many second-year players is regaining confidence. And, that is an issue for Smith.

“As a rookie you have an up and down year, being hurt, not playing as well, not being a vital guy on special teams, not being able to help on defense - that can get frustrating as a player,” Smith said. “As competitive as I am, of course I got a little frustrated, and I kind of lost confidence.”

He’s lucky to have helpful veterans around him. All four of Denver’s starting defensive backs are past 30 years old, and all are lauded for their professionalism. Champ Bailey said he noticed Smith got down on himself when he made mistakes. Bailey said Smith has matured since last year, and he has helped Smith rebuild his confidence.

"When things go bad, don't get down on yourself, because you've got to keep playing," Bailey said.

Perhaps Smith can rebound. Players can make a big leap in their second year as they understand the game better, and a full year in the team’s offseason conditioning program usually helps. The Broncos will be watching Smith closely to see if he takes a positive step this year.

“You have a whole lot to learn in 16 games,” Smith said. “I'm just glad I'm not a rookie anymore.”

Lonestar
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
OMG Champ said something NICE about someone the kiss of death for many of our members.

I think the kid went from WF to the Pros and the jump was way to big to make in one year.

Then few CB's make the leap into the NFL running at full speed either.

SO I'm willing to give him a chance to make it in the near future.

broncobryce
06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Moreno I have little doubt will step up. Smith is still a question mark however. I think he will be much improved, but we didn't see anything from him last year, didn't even really see him on the field. That has to change this season or he will have a lot more than a chip on his shoulder- he will have a label on his name (bust).

Dirk
06-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Unfortunately I agree with you bryce. Phonz is going to have to step it up big time from last years play.

I was one of the guys screaming that we drafted the wrong CB. Too short, not good enough, blah blah blah.

But I also am one that steps back after I vent and allow the guys to mature into the game. Giving them at least 2 years to show if they have what it takes. Hopefully Phonz will come through for us!!

broncofaninfla
06-07-2010, 07:48 AM
I still have faith in every one of last years draft picks except Quinn. Some more than others but wouoldn't be surprised to see Smith emerge this season and show he was worth the picks..

SOCALORADO.
06-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Trade Alphie, a 3rd and a 12er of Coors to DAL for DE Spears.
Ol' Jer will do it.

atwater27
06-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Am I missing something? I read the article twice and still couldn't make the connection with the thread title..... one thing's for sure right now....
Phonz=horrrible reach

underrated29
06-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I hope for him, and he is out of position but so what....

The good news is we ddrafted Perrish COX.

This guy is a gamer. If phonz busts and Cox plays like he has been. It would be more like we took cox with the #14 and phonz with a 5th and no one will think twice about it.

Cox will be starting by next year for sure!! Phonz I hope will be too. But cox will be- he is that awesome!!! Loved the pick!!

Northman
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
As with Moreno, talk is cheap i want to see it on the field.

slim
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Probably the best 2 round pick in recent memory.

SOCALORADO.
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I hope for him, and he is out of position but so what....

The good news is we ddrafted Perrish COX.

This guy is a gamer. If phonz busts and Cox plays like he has been. It would be more like we took cox with the #14 and phonz with a 5th and no one will think twice about it.

Cox will be starting by next year for sure!! Phonz I hope will be too. But cox will be- he is that awesome!!! Loved the pick!!

I agree. Cox and Verner are sleepers who will both make their respective teams much better.
BTW, why dont you have a Cox avi?

Slick
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Am I missing something? I read the article twice and still couldn't make the connection with the thread title..... one thing's for sure right now....
Phonz=horrrible reach

I saw him make a couple nice tackles in run support early in the year, but it does seem like a reach only Plasticman could make.

Phonz never asked to be drafted for the price we paid for him, but he's definitely going to be held to a higher standard because of it.

underrated29
06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I agree. Cox and Verner are sleepers who will both make their respective teams much better.

That is an excellent question.

underrated29
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM

We really need to start a perrish cox movement here. Seriously, I would not be surprised to see him starting even some games this year..He is soo good. I do not think he is ready to beat out champ or goody, but if goods gets hurt a game or two or teams line up 3/4wide...My money is on perrish.

dogfish
06-07-2010, 02:40 PM
hah. . . so much for the talk about how he was third on the depth chart-- jones has already passed him. . .

i hate to say it and hope to be proven wrong in a big way, but i really don't think we're going to get anything out of this kid. . .

dumb pick. . .

Slick
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/slickdonkey7/fun%20times/plastic4.jpg

underrated29
06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
hah. . . so much for the talk about how he was third on the depth chart-- jones has already passed him. . .

i hate to say it and hope to be proven wrong in a big way, but i really don't think we're going to get anything out of this kid. . .

dumb pick. . .

Where has there been a depth chart released? Besides Nate jones is a vet. Cox is a rook. I have higher hopes for cox than phonzie...

Dogfish I think you are going to be proven wrong in a big way. from everything i have read from the OTAs Cox has broken up several passes, a pick or two and several stripped balls. I suppose we are all a liitle prevacuation right now as TC is a ways out, but this kid seems to be legit.

dogfish
06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Where has there been a depth chart released? Besides Nate jones is a vet. Cox is a rook. I have higher hopes for cox than phonzie...

Dogfish I think you are going to be proven wrong in a big way. from everything i have read from the OTAs Cox has broken up several passes, a pick or two and several stripped balls. I suppose we are all a liitle prevacuation right now as TC is a ways out, but this kid seems to be legit.

sorry homeboy, my pronoun usage must have been unclear. . .

i was talking about nate jones being ahead of phonz on the depth chart. . .

i'm on record saying cox was an awesome pick in the 5th. . . he has the talent to be a starter if his head's right. . .

underrated29
06-07-2010, 05:01 PM
sorry homeboy, my pronoun usage must have been unclear. . .

i was talking about nate jones being ahead of phonz on the depth chart. . .

i'm on record saying cox was an awesome pick in the 5th. . . he has the talent to be a starter if his head's right. . .

Dam strait! Don't let it happen again.
:cool:

Timmy!
06-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Phonz will be our nickel corner baring injury, or end up with at least 3 ints this season. I'll put a friendly wager on it :D

dogfish
06-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Dam strait! Don't let it happen again.
:cool:

i'll watch myself. . . :lol:

Bosco
06-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I still have faith in every one of last years draft picks except Quinn. Some more than others but wouoldn't be surprised to see Smith emerge this season and show he was worth the picks..

Why don't you have faith in Quinn?

We really need to start a perrish cox movement here. Seriously, I would not be surprised to see him starting even some games this year..He is soo good. I do not think he is ready to beat out champ or goody, but if goods gets hurt a game or two or teams line up 3/4wide...My money is on perrish.

Cox has a long ways to go before he's going to be anything more than a depth player. All kinds of physical talent but he is the type of player who takes lots of gambles and that doesn't usually translate well to the NFL, plus he is not even remotely physical.

He has the potential to be very good but it's going to take some time and dedication on his part.