PDA

View Full Version : Half of Big XII to Join Pac-10??

OrangeHoof
06-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Rumors are flying fast and furious that the Pac-10 may be prepared to invite six Big XII schools - Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. and Colorado to join them in a 16-team superconference. At a Big XII meeting last week, nine schools vowed to stay together as the Big XII but three schools - Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska would not commit. Colorado has been listening to overtures from the Pac-10 while Missouri and Nebraska have been preening themselves for possible expansion into the Big 10.

It's all about television revenue, market penetration and the next round of tv contracts. The SEC has a 15-year deal with CBS and ESPN. The Big 10 has its own tv network which is making good money with coaches shows, live games of non-marquee matchups and video replays of famous games of the past (yet they are having trouble with market penetration outside the Midwest).

The Pac-10 has been eyeing Utah and Colorado but would truly love to add Texas. Texas apparently says they aren't interested unless A&M and possibly Tech and Oklahoma join them. The Texas state legislature also has a say, as they did in allowing Texas, A&M, Tech and Baylor to leave the Southwest Conference for the Big XII.

If the change is going to happen, I'd prefer the six new Pac-10 schools to be Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska and Utah. That gives the new conference the greatest tv market penetration and name recognition. Sorry, but Tech, Baylor and Okie St. just don't have the size, prestige or market base to make the cut.

You'd then have a 16-team superconference divided between the old Pac-8 schools and the six new schools with Arizona and Arizona St. That allows the new teams to avoid the Pacific time zone for most of their contests so the time zone/travel problems are less than they might otherwise be.

Northman
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Interesting.

NightTrainLayne
06-06-2010, 09:15 PM
The State Legislatures involved will never let Texas or OU leave the other state schools behind. If OU and/or Texas go, so will OSU, TT and A&M.

Lonestar
06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
OSU has as big a following in OK as OU does, from what I have seen in my travels there.

I suspect they do not have the star power outside the state but their programs from what I have seen are strong and Viable.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_15240637?source=rsssimplepiehome

SAN FRANCISCO — Pac-10 Conference presidents and chancellors gave commissioner Larry Scott full approval Sunday to pursue expansion plans. However, it remains unclear whether that potential expansion would include Colorado.

As the Pac-10 summer meetings concluded, Scott would not say which direction he will go, nor did he name any specific schools, but it appears he'll send out feelers very soon.

"I got all the feedback and support that I need to continue our process and continue our development," Scott said. "That's where we are. We haven't made any decisions that I'm in a position to announce."

Scott emphasized that his conference may remain at 10 teams or could expand to up to 16, which, possibly, would include Colorado, along with Big 12 members Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Adding those six Big 12 teams was a hot rumor going into the weekend.

"There's no specific number," Scott said. "You've read an awful lot about different ideas. We probably have contemplated or are contemplating everything you've read about."

Should the Pac-10 add six Big 12 teams, it's not certain Colorado would be included. ESPNDallas.com reported that 15 Texas legislators are pushing Baylor to replace Colorado as a potential Pac-10 school. A legislator told the website of the importance to keep Baylor together with Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech in any expansion plans. Political powers in Texas forced the inclusion of Baylor over TCU when the Big 12 was formed. TCU was the more obvious choice at the time.

"If you're going to have an exported commodity involved in this, do you think we're going to allow a school from outside the state of Texas to replace one of our schools in the Big 12 South?" the legislator told the website. "I don't think so. We're already at work on this."

"Baylor is fully committed to the Big 12," Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said. "We especially value our relationship with our Big 12 Texas rivals."

If the Pac-10 does expand, it will be for the 2012-13 school year. Scott must decide on the conference's formation by the end of 2010-11 season, when he begins negotiating with Fox on a new TV deal.

Much of what the Pac-10 will look like in two years will be determined by what other conferences do. A Columbus Dispatch report said Ohio State has already contacted Texas about joining the Big Ten, and the Austin American-Statesman reported Sunday that the Big 12 has given Nebraska and Missouri a Friday deadline to make their intentions known. The Big Ten is believed to be courting both schools. Nebraska has been upset for years with what it believes is favoritism shown the Big 12 South schools in league decision-making. Orangebloods.com, the Austin, Texas-based affiliate of rivals.com, reported Sunday that Colorado, along with Nebraska and Missouri, was given a deadline by the Big 12 of roughly June 15 to decide whether to commit to remaining in the Big 12.

CU athletic director Mike Bohn did not immediately return a phone message Sunday.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said last week he prefers to stay in the Big 12 but will seek other options if the league is reduced to 10 teams.

The Big 12 presidents reportedly decided to impose the ultimatum.

Scott said he was unaware of the report but said he will watch closely what the Big 12 does.

"Ultimately, schools have to decide if they're happy where they are or would they consider other options," Scott said.

The difficulties of managing an expanded conference are many. The Pac-10 presidents were told not to discuss the contents of the meetings this weekend, but Washington president Mark Emmert said the sessions were "good. Complicated but good."

The Englewood-based Western Athletic Conference tried a two-division, 16-team conference for a few years before breaking up. Scott said he is studying what happened with the WAC. He's also looking into the financial viability of having nonrevenue teams travel long distances.

If the Pac-10 does expand, Colorado would be under consideration not only for geographical reasons but also academic. CU is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, which includes seven Pac-10 schools.

"That's part of the DNA of the Pac-10 Conference," Scott said. "Our challenge is how you can look at opportunities to grow, but you don't want to lose what's core and special and unique about the Pac-10 Conference."

Scott said the conference may unveil its plans during a July 27 media day in New York.

FanInAZ
06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
NCAA has for years been defending its decision to have bowl games instead of a play-offs system because of tradition. The idea of all of these Big XII teams leaving their traditional rivals to join conferences with more lucrative TV deals clearly shows just how much tradition actually matters to these school. The truth is, its all about the money. The more they try to deny the obvious, the more I loose respect for the NCAA.

OrangeHoof
06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
It was originally going to be Texas and A&M joining the Big 8 by themselves but the Texas governor at the time was Ann Richards, a Baylor grad, and the Speaker of the House was Pete Laney, a Texas Tech grad. The Texas legislature controls the building fund which was originally willed to the University of Texas proceeds from land in the Permian Basin oil field near Odessa. That's how the governor and the legislature had the power to hold UT and A&M hostage when they sought to bolt to the Big 8. As part of the deal, Texas Tech and Baylor (which is a small, private school) were included and turned the Big 8 into the Big 12.

The current governor, Rick Perry, is an A&M grad. The current Speaker of the House, Joe Straus, is a graduate of Vanderbilt University. It looks like there is enough force to keep Tech in the mix but Baylor is a much harder sell.

OrangeHoof
06-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Looks like Nebraska will join the Big 10 on Friday, setting up the Big XII-Pac 10 marriage later this month.

There are issues about whether Colorado or Baylor becomes the 16th team. I think the Pac 10 wins that scrimmage by inviting Colorado first and inviting the rest later. Cal-Berzerkley is claiming they would reject Baylor on religious grounds.

Broncolingus
06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Scuttle butt here in Tejas remains Baylor is gone regardless...we'll see.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

With Nebraska apparently headed to the Big Ten, the Pac-10 is poised to become the Pac-16.

Colorado already has received an invitation to join the conference, while five other invitations will be extended to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

A Big 12 football coach, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach on Wednesday night that if Nebraska left the Big 12 the conference would dissolve, according to his athletics director and university president. The coach said Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado would join the Pac-10, leaving Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State behind.

"Nebraska is the key," the coach said.

The coach said the Pac-10 favored Colorado over Baylor because of the Buffaloes' presence in the Denver TV market.

Another Big 12 coach said Wednesday night that an anticipated Nebraska announcement of moving toward the Big Ten Thursday would indeed trigger the death of the Big 12 and a mass migration west.

"If Nebraska leaves," the coach said, "everyone has to look."

The new conference would be split into divisions with the Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado forming an Eastern Division with Arizona and Arizona State opposite the former Pac-8 (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) in the Western Division. The division champions would play at season's end for the conference championship, the source said.

The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."

Events have unfolded very quickly, the Big 12 coach said.

"Until the last two days, everyone thought the Big 12 was staying intact," he said.

As quickly as the Big 12 has rushed to the brink of collapse, it could take quite some time for it to become formalized. The coach said the league will have to go on for two more years before splitting up.

Asked how awkward that would be, the coach joked, "I don't think I'll go to the conference meetings this year [Big 12 football media day in Dallas next month]."

The only potential hitch is Nebraska and the Big Ten not coming to an agreement. But even in that scenario, which appears unlikely, the Pac-10 will expand to at least 12 teams, said the source familiar with the negotiations. While Colorado is in and Utah is a top alternative candidate, it's also possible that the Pac-10 would make a play for Nebraska or another Big 12 school instead of Utah.

"If Nebraska gets left at the alter by the Big Ten, which would slight them at the 11th hour, then it might be hard for them to stay in the Big 12," the source said.

It would take a week to 10 days to finalize the details of a Pac-16. The blockbuster deal would add the nation's No. 5 (Dallas), No. 10 (Houston) and No. 16 (Denver) TV markets to the conference, which already includes No. 2 Los Angeles, No. 6 San Francisco, No. 12 Phoenix and No. 13 Seattle.

With that large population base, the new conference would start its own network and, along with other broadcast partners, likely would distribute around $20 million per member, comparable broadcast revenue to the Big Ten ($22 million) and SEC ($17 million), the source said.

The Big 12 distributed $7-12 million per year. The Pac-10 distributed $8-10 million.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2012079374_pac11.html

In the first change to the Pac-10 Conference in 32 years, the league Thursday morning announced that the University of Colorado has accepted an invitation to join, in what could be merely the first move in a sea change in college athletics.

Five other schools – Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State – are reported to be about to receive invitations from the Pac-10, which has been aggressively exploring means of increasing low revenues.

“The University of Colorado is a perfect match – academically and athletically – with the Pac-10,” said Bruce Benson, the school president.

Said Larry Scott, the Pac-10 commisioner who has been in office only 11 months, “This is a historic moment for the conference, as the Pac-10 is poised for tremendous growth. The University of Colorado is a great fit for the conference both academically and athletically, and we’re incredibly excited to welcome Colorado to the Pac-10.”

Pac-10 TV contracts, among the lowest-paying in the nation for large conferences, are due to run out in 2012. Negotiations for new ones begin in 2011, by which time Scott has said he hopes to have resolution on the makeup of the conference.

A move by the other Big 12 schools could come quickly, as Nebraska is reported ready to jump Friday to the Big Ten. Texas, the big target among the Big 12 members, has said it won’t be idle in such a scenario, so a breakup of the Big 12 seems imminent.

OrangeHoof
06-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Absolutely the right move by the Pac-10. Get Colorado first so there are only five invitations left. That forces Baylor from worming their way in. Personally, I'd leave Texas Tech behind also and take Utah. Far more eyeballs in Salt Lake than Lubbock and better athletic programs.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
heck yes!!!!

OrangeHoof
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
There's a TV station in Kansas City now reporting Texas and Texas A&M (minus Tech) are applying for the Big Ten and Oklahoma is applying for the SEC. Another source is denying this but, if true, it remains to be seen if the Texas-Pac10 alliance has fallen through or if this a power play by the Longhorns to get concessions from the Pac 10. I don't see what the Longhorns have to gain by joining the Big 10.

Lonestar
06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Absolutely the right move by the Pac-10. Get Colorado first so there are only five invitations left. That forces Baylor from worming their way in. Personally, I'd leave Texas Tech behind also and take Utah. Far more eyeballs in Salt Lake than Lubbock and better athletic programs.

Tech has some cred lately with their BB program and their Football has been pretty impressive also. IIRC their Track team is pretty good also.

While in a small area they are widely watched. We get a lot of their games here and many more on Radio.

Lonestar
06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
There's a TV station in Kansas City now reporting Texas and Texas A&M (minus Tech) are applying for the Big Ten and Oklahoma is applying for the SEC. Another source is denying this but, if true, it remains to be seen if the Texas-Pac10 alliance has fallen through or if this a power play by the Longhorns to get concessions from the Pac 10. I don't see what the Longhorns have to gain by joining the Big 10.

Major money to be divided up in the big ten about twice what the pac-10 does. and TEXAS is a cash cow in their football programs.

I think they would regret playing in those COLD venues for most of their games.

Northman
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Oh shit, if OU makes it into the SEC that conference is going to be NASTY.

Sparky The Sun Devil
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
bring it big 12!

that KC report seems pretty bogous...chip brown from orangebloods said "it would be news to those schools"

OrangeHoof
06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
The Waco newspaper is reporting that Texas and A&M could not reach an agreement, putting the whole Pac-10 thing in question. A&M would like to go to the SEC (former Alabama coach Gene Stallings is one of their regents). Texas has two major rivalry games (A&M and Oklahoma). I can see them playing one rival out-of-conference but not both. If Oklahoma and A&M both tried to go to the SEC, would Texas have any recourse but to follow? And would the SEC want them all?

OrangeHoof
06-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Orangebloods.com is now reporting that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. are definitely in the scramble for Pac-10 members but that A&M is strongly considering parting ways and going to the SEC. They are a better fit with the SEC in a lot of ways and I'm sure the SEC would love to make inroads into Texas with one of the top two programs in the state (despite their constant mismanagement, A&M is a huge alumni base with obvious fan appeal in the Houston, Dallas and San Antonio markets). What A&M needs to make that happen is another dance partner to give the conference 14 schools.

It's interesting to note that A&M Athletic Director Bill Byrne was the former AD at Oregon and is emerging as one of the strongest voices *against* joining the Pac-16. Wonder what he knows?

If A&M refuses to join, speculation is that Utah or Kansas might replace them (interestingly Baylor is not mentioned since they had tried to force their way in).

The other four schools are said to be laying low. They will let Nebraska make their announcement Friday and then, perhaps next week, announce they are joining the PAC citing the two defections already from the Big XII has made that conference unviable, thereby washing their hands of any responsibility for the conference breaking up.

Perhaps if A&M gets an invite from the SEC (LSU has always wanted the Aggies to join them) then they could make their announcement before the Pac-10 makes their big splash.

I get the feeling Missouri (who probably did more to get this whole thing started with their own campaign to join the Big 10), could get left out in the cold if the Big 10 feels they can fill out their conference better with other Big East schools.

compucomp
06-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm glad that we did not get passed over for Baylor. That would have been ridiculously embarrassing.

Nomad
06-11-2010, 07:59 AM
NCAA has for years been defending its decision to have bowl games instead of a play-offs system because of tradition. The idea of all of these Big XII teams leaving their traditional rivals to join conferences with more lucrative TV deals clearly shows just how much tradition actually matters to these school. The truth is, its all about the money. The more they try to deny the obvious, the more I loose respect for the NCAA.

Well said FIAZ! I've been a diehard college football fan since I can remember and mostly of the SEC and Pac 10! This move will be very disappointing in my eyes!

Nomad
06-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Perhaps if A&M gets an invite from the SEC (LSU has always wanted the Aggies to join them) then they could make their announcement before the Pac-10 makes their big splash.

Yeah, I remember before the Aggies became the Big 12, they'd play LSU every year then about the mid 90s I don't believe they played each other again!

OrangeHoof
06-11-2010, 03:21 PM
LSU and A&M recruit from many of the same places and there seems to be a mutual respect between the two. When A&M was successful, they often dominated the Houston area in recruiting. Perhaps when joined to UT, players think "why play for A&M when Texas plays the same places and gives me a better chance to be a champion?". So, breaking away from Texas may actually help them in recruiting in the talent-rich Houston and Beaumont areas, although a lot of choosing between UT and A&M is based on who your momma and daddy root for (or attended). Some families go back generations with one school or the other.

Latest news: Texas regents to meet Tuesday. Plans may be finalized then.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska made it official Friday and applied for membership in the Big Ten Conference, a potentially crippling blow to the Big 12 and the biggest move yet in an offseason overhaul that will leave college sports looking much different by this time next year.

Chancellor Harvey Perlman disclosed the plan during a meeting of the university's Board of Regents, proposing that play in the new conference begin in 2011 after one more year in the Big 12. He said he believed Nebraska is much more "aligned" with the Big Ten than the Big 12 when it comes to academics, culture and athletics.

The move offers stability "that the Big 12 simply cannot offer," Perlman said, and the regents unanimously approved a resolution supporting a move to the Big Ten.

Nebraska must be accepted by Big Ten presidents and Perlman said he expected that vote to come soon. The Big Ten confirmed it had Nebraska's application but offered no timeline for a decision.

Asked if there was a chance the Big Ten would reject Nebraska, athletic director Tom Osborne said: "I guess there is always a chance. We would be surprised, but you never know."

Adding Nebraska would be the Big Ten's first expansion since 1990, when Penn State joined. Big 12 officials in Dallas did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Nebraska's move comes at the end of a crazy week in college athletics.

On Thursday, fellow Big 12 member Colorado announced it was leaving for the Pac-10. Texas and other schools in the Big 12 South -- Perlman told the regents that the Pac-10 had been in touch with many schools in that division -- could be the next to leave. Texas regents scheduled a meeting for Tuesday to discuss the Longhorns' future in the Big 12.

"One school leaving a conference does not destroy a conference," Perlman said. "Nebraska did not start this discussion. After the Big Ten announced it planned to consider expansion, we saw reports that Missouri would want to go to the Big Ten, including a statement by their governor, a member of board of curators and chancellor -- comments that weren't clearly supportive of the Big 12."

Osborne, the longtime football coach, agreed.

"As we read the tea leaves and listened to the conversations, some of the schools that were urging us to stay, we found some of them had talked to not only one other conference or two but even three, and those were the same ones urging us to stay," he said.

To generations of Nebraska fans, going to the Big Ten at one time would have been unthinkable. The school's athletic tradition is built on more than a century of football games against the likes of Missouri and Kansas, dating to the days the team was known as the Bugeaters.

The Huskers, in fact, have been conference partners with Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Kansas State since 1928; with Colorado since 1948 and with Oklahoma State since 1960.

Now the Huskers are on the verge of taking their five national titles in football and three Heisman trophies east. They will look to start building new traditions, like a border rivalry with the Iowa Hawkeyes and regular trips to Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

At Iowa State, a Big 12 school rarely mentioned in realigment discussions, officials sent an open letter to boosters expressing disappointment in the moves by Colorado and Nebraska.

"But as all of the discussions about conference realignment illustrate, the future of college athletics appears to be less about academics and competitive success and more about money, as measured by television viewership and the associated revenues," the letter said.

Fatter paychecks will be coming to Nebraska, eventually. Nebraska received about $10 million from the Big 12 in 2009, half the $20 million received by Big Ten members (thanks largely to bigger television contracts and the in-house Big Ten Network).

The Big Ten told Perlman that no current member would receive a reduced share of revenue from the conference because of the addition of a new member. Perlman said Nebraska has been assured it would not receive less than it did in the Big 12, however, if it joins the Big Ten.

"This is not a financial windfall," Osborne said.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has said he wanted to add only members that would be considered "home runs." The Huskers' football team struggled in the early and mid 2000s but have returned to national prominence the past two seasons under coach Bo Pelini, an Ohio State alumnus.

Regent Tim Clare said the football resurgence helped Nebraska's cause in conference realignment.

"We were losing our edge athletically before coach Pelini came back," he said. "His success has resonated throughout the athletic department. The leaders we've got in place, the great coaches we have ... Look at the position we're in now."

As for the Big 12, it never was a comfortable fit for the Huskers.

When the league formed, Nebraska football was at its pinnacle, having won three national titles between 1994-97 and winning 60 of 63 games before Osborne retired as coach.

That success didn't translate to juice when it came to influencing league policies.

Nebraska and the old Big Eight members, all of whom went to the Big 12, believed they were helping out Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor when the old Southwest Conference collapsed.

The perception in Nebraska was that the Big 12's balance of power was held by the South Division, particularly the University of Texas.

Nebraska from day one was against a championship game in football, for fear it could trip up a team bidding for a national title. But even issues ranging from academic admission standards to location of the league office (Dallas) chafed Nebraska.

When the league last week picked Cowboys Stadium to host the next three conference championship football games -- after hosting the 2009 and 2010 games -- Osborne complained that continual treks south are unfair to fans of the North representative.

And no one in Nebraska has forgotten the controversial outcome of last year's conference title game. It looked like the Huskers had beaten the Longhorns 12-10 when the clock ran out, but one second was put back on, allowing Texas to kick the winning field goal. Pelini yelled outside the locker room that Texas was given the extra second so it could go to the BCS championship game.

Slick
06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Colorado should be forced to join the Mountain West. They might be able to play .500 ball in that conference. They haven't been relevant for years.

Nomad
06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Colorado should be forced to join the Mountain West. They might be able to play .500 ball in that conference. They haven't been relevant for years.

I would like to see Utah and BYU go to the Pac 10 (or whatever they call it after this mass moving of teams). If CU goes then add Boise St to the mix.

Add Texas, Texas A&M, OSU and OU to the SEC and send the rest of the Big 12 to the Big 10! Florida St is being mentioned as going to the SEC and Boise St supposedly is heading to the MWC.

But isn't the Big 12 under contract with Cowboy's Stadium and kinda of ironic that all this movement within the NCAA in the wake of the new BCS contract talks, trying to avoid the ol' playoff scenerio!!

Nomad
06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
:tsk:The Pac 10 will never be the same

'Decision made' for Texas, others to join Pac-10; A&M on the fence
Posted by John Taylor on June 11, 2010 6:52 PM ET
Call the funeral home, get the eulogies ready. The official demise of the Big 12 is upon us.

According to the Austin American Statesman's Kirk Bohls -- as connected a beat writer as there is in the country -- he's been told by a highly-placed Big 12 official that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pac-10 once the expected invitations are extended by the conference.

(Let the stench of death sink in for a minute.)

There will likely be yet another Big 12 school to join that quintet in the Pac-10; just which school it is remains to be seen.

The same source noted above told Bohls that Texas A&M is "sitting on the fence" as far as following their Southern brethren to the Pac-10. The Aggies have a 72-hour timeline to decide whether they will follow the leader to the Pac-10 or strike out on their own, possibly landing in the SEC.

Former Alabama head coach Gene Stallings, now a member of the A&M Board of Regents, is believed to be pushing for his school to pursue a spot in the SEC.

If A&M were to eschew what seems to be an unspoken invite to the Pac-10, Baylor could take the Aggies' spot. However, there could be an issue with the religion-based school.

While the other Big 12 schools eyeing the Pac-10 "have said positive things about them. ... the schools on the West Coast just don't see the benefit of Baylor."

So, if A&M and Baylor are out, where would the Pac-10 turn to get to an even 16 teams? The source told Bohls that Kansas and Utah would be options because "they bring different television markets."

Regardless of what happens with A&M, one thing is certain: Texas and the Big 12 are all but gone.

dogfish
06-11-2010, 06:42 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2010, 06:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

LINCOLN, Neb. -- So long, Big 12. Nebraska's membership in the Big Ten Conference is official.

The Big Ten's board of presidents and chancellors unanimously welcomed Nebraska to the club on Friday, just a few hours after the school formally disclosed its interest. The move takes effect July 1, 2011.

Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman said the Big Ten offers stability "that the Big 12 simply cannot offer."

Nebraska is the Big Ten's first addition since 1990, when Penn State joined, and it comes just six months after the league announced that it was looking at expansion.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said he presumed there would be a Big Ten championship football game beginning in 2011. He also said the conference would "pause" from further expansion over the next 12 to 18 months. He declined to comment on whether Notre Dame or any other school was on the league's radar.

Nebraska's departure is a potentially crippling blow to the Big 12 and the biggest move yet in an offseason overhaul that will leave college sports looking much different by this time next year.

"We've had a couple disappointing days with the departure of two valued members," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said during a teleconference. Beebe vowed to work to keep the 10 remaining members together but acknowledged that other Big 12 schools are mulling their options.

Perlman said he believed Nebraska is much more "aligned" with the Big Ten than the Big 12 when it comes to academics, culture and athletics.

The university issued a statement that said for more than 20 years, Nebraska has compared itself to a list of 10 peer institutions established by the regents. Five of the 10 are Big Ten members; four are former Big Eight schools that joined Nebraska in the Big 12 in 1996.

"The University of Nebraska would have new opportunities with membership in the Big Ten -- and I believe the Big Ten would be a stronger conference as well," university president J.B. Milliken said.

Nebraska's move comes at the end of a crazy week in college athletics.

On Thursday, fellow Big 12 member Colorado announced it was leaving for the Pac-10. Texas and other schools in the Big 12 South -- Perlman told the regents that the Pac-10 had been in touch with many schools in that division -- could be the next to leave. Texas regents scheduled a meeting for Tuesday to discuss the Longhorns' future in the Big 12.

"One school leaving a conference does not destroy a conference," Perlman said. "Nebraska did not start this discussion. After the Big Ten announced it planned to consider expansion, we saw reports that Missouri would want to go to the Big Ten, including a statement by their governor, a member of board of curators and chancellor -- comments that weren't clearly supportive of the Big 12."

Athletic director Tom Osborne, the longtime football coach, agreed.

"As we read the tea leaves and listened to the conversations, some of the schools that were urging us to stay, we found some of them had talked to not only one other conference or two but even three, and those were the same ones urging us to stay," he said.

To generations of Nebraska fans, going to the Big Ten at one time would have been unthinkable. The school's athletic tradition is built on more than a century of football games against the likes of Missouri and Kansas, dating to the days the team was known as the Bugeaters.

The Huskers, in fact, have been conference partners with Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Kansas State since 1928; with Colorado since 1948 and with Oklahoma State since 1960.

Now the Huskers are taking their five national titles in football, three Heisman trophies and enthusiastic fans east. They will look to start building new traditions, like a border rivalry with the Iowa Hawkeyes and regular trips to Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

Watching a football camp at Beaver Stadium, Penn State coach Joe Paterno declined comment Friday. Paterno in the past has advocated for enlarging the Big Ten from 11 schools to 14.

"It's just the tip of the iceberg right now," Penn State receivers coach Mike McQueary said of Nebraska. "Unbelievable tradition, the things they've done in that program; academically as well."

At Iowa State, a Big 12 school rarely mentioned in realignment discussions, officials sent an open letter to boosters expressing disappointment in the moves by Colorado and Nebraska.

"But as all of the discussions about conference realignment illustrate, the future of college athletics appears to be less about academics and competitive success and more about money, as measured by television viewership and the associated revenues," the letter said.

Fatter paychecks will be coming to Nebraska, eventually. Nebraska received about $10 million from the Big 12 in 2009, half the $20 million received by Big Ten members (thanks largely to bigger television contracts and the in-house Big Ten Network).

The Big Ten told Perlman that no current member would receive a reduced share of revenue from the conference because of the addition of a new member. Perlman said Nebraska has been assured it would not receive less than it did in the Big 12, however, if it joins the Big Ten.

"This is not a financial windfall," Osborne said.

Delany has said he wanted to add only members that would be considered "home runs." The Huskers' football team struggled in the early and mid 2000s but have returned to national prominence the past two seasons under coach Bo Pelini, an Ohio State alumnus.

As for the Big 12, it never was a comfortable fit for the Huskers.

When the league formed, Nebraska football was at its pinnacle, having won three national titles between 1994-97 and winning 60 of 63 games before Osborne retired as coach.

That success didn't translate to juice when it came to influencing league policies.

Nebraska and the old Big Eight members, all of whom went to the Big 12, believed they were helping out Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor when the old Southwest Conference collapsed.

The perception in Nebraska was that the Big 12's balance of power was held by the South Division, particularly the University of Texas.

Nebraska from day one was against a championship game in football, for fear it could trip up a team bidding for a national title. But even issues ranging from academic admission standards to location of the league office (Dallas) chafed Nebraska.

When the league last week picked Cowboys Stadium to host the next three conference championship football games -- after hosting the 2009 and 2010 games -- Osborne complained that continual treks south are unfair to fans of the North representative.

And no one in Nebraska has forgotten the controversial outcome of last year's conference title game. It looked like the Huskers had beaten the Longhorns 12-10 when the clock ran out, but one second was put back on, allowing Texas to kick the winning field goal. Pelini yelled outside the locker room that Texas was given the extra second so it could go to the BCS championship game.

"This is not about any type of vindictiveness," Osborne said. "You don't make a decision of this size based on where you're going to play Big 12 championship games."

OrangeHoof
06-11-2010, 06:59 PM
The anti-religion bigots in the Pac-10 will never take Baylor or BYU. Heads would explode in Berkeley.

Congrats to Nebraska for joining the Rust Belt Conference.

dogfish
06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
it seems unfair that boise state is still stuck in a shit conference-- in a fair world, they would get to go to the PAC-10 and CU should have to join the mountain west. . . . :lol:

OrangeHoof
06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Other than football, Boise doesn't bring anything to the table.

The interesting quote to me from today is that one Missouri "curator" (I guess their term for regent) says the Big Ten hasn't replied to their application and Big Ten commish Delaney says he won't add any schools unless they are a "home run". So, clearly, Missouri is not a "home run" in their eyes or they would have already grabbed them while grabbing Nebraska.

Missouri and Kansas may yet be conference mates...in the MWC.

dogfish
06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Other than football, Boise doesn't bring anything to the table.

i know, but football's all that i care about in this situation. . . :lol:

OrangeHoof
06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
i know, but football's all that i care about in this situation. . . :lol:

Sorta like the fat ugly woman who bitches at you all day long but at least she's a great cook. :D

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I've only really followed college football for the last couple of years. I take it all this moving about is unusual? Also if you move in football will you move in basketball etc? The teams/colleges that are moving do they have to commit to their new conference for a minimum period or could they just up sticks again in a couple of years if they wanted to? Final question, is this the first moves to having play offs instead of bowls?

Lonestar
06-12-2010, 11:39 AM
All the teams move to the new conference but football is the king.

The BB teams for these new teams well up the game in the PAC whatever it winds up to be also. It will also allow them more TV time and make it easier to recruit.

It will take a couple of years to clear their schedules in most of the sports as they contract for a couple years out for non conference games.

Playoffs in football are not going to happen anytime soon way to much money from all those "bowl" games to pass up.

Although march maddness is a huge money maker also.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
06-12-2010, 12:00 PM
All the teams move to the new conference but football is the king.

The BB teams for these new teams well up the game in the PAC whatever it winds up to be also. It will also allow them more TV time and make it easier to recruit.

It will take a couple of years to clear their schedules in most of the sports as they contract for a couple years out for non conference games.

Playoffs in football are not going to happen anytime soon way to much money from all those "bowl" games to pass up.

Although march maddness is a huge money maker also.

Would it not be possible to keep them both? The top 8 teams (however it is decided) play off, the rest who qualify for bowl season could still play their bowl games. The quarter finals and semis could also double up as bowl games if need be and the obviously the final could be the National game.

Anyway I've gone a bit off topic.

Will the Big XII just disband if this happens or would the conference look to fill those spots meaning another conference disbands down the pecking order?

Lonestar
06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Most likely all of the teams will move to other conferences feel sorry because K state and KU have fielded strong other teams every so often as has MU in football

As far as playoffs yes it could be done but it is years off if ever.

broncophan
06-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The Big XII currently has 10 teams.....and the Big 10 currently has 12 teams.........:confused:........

Oh well.....being a big 10 fan......I welcome Nebraska to the big 10.......but I don't like the idea of tradition being messed with.......hopefully Ohio St. and Michigan will always play each other the last week of the season in the big 10.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 01:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018

The Mountain West Conference was a geographical misnomer from the beginning, as it launched with San Diego State among its eight original teams before adding TCU in 2005 and Boise State on Friday.

And the conference's reach doesn't appear to be stopping there.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Kansas, Missouri and Kansas State are on the Mountain West's radar amid a continuing shakeup of the Big 12.

But Baylor isn't considered a candidate to join the conference, with TCU standing staunchly in its way, the Fort Worth newspaper reported, citing unnamed sources.

"The Mountain West wants to be a national player and continue to grow in that realm," MWC commissioner Craig Thompson said in a conference call with reporters Friday. "We are extremely interested in BCS automatic qualification. We are simply trying to get to the level where each and every year a Mountain West team is playing in a BCS bowl game."

TCU would mount a lobbying effort against Baylor if the Bears are left out of the conference-realignment mix, the Star-Telegram reported.

But the conference covets Kansas -- and its legendary basketball program.

"Look at it this way," Jayhawks coach Bill Self said Friday at a charity event, according to The Kansas City Star. "No matter what, I'm 100 percent confident we're going to land. And we may land in a group that gives us more exposure than we ever could have had before. We may land with somebody that opens up recruiting doors in areas that we never really tested before. We're not gonna lose what we already have. This may open up new avenues for us."

New avenues are assured for most -- if not all -- of the Big 12.

Colorado left Thursday for the Pac-10 and Nebraska moved to the Big Ten a day later. Texas and the four other programs, not including Baylor, that make up the Big 12 South in football are leaning heavily toward a commitment to the Pac-10, or in Texas A&M's case, a possible jump to the SEC.

"We are gonna be in a BCS conference," Self said, according to the newspaper.

But count Self among those who still believe in the viability of the Big 12.

"If this league is held together," Self said, "we'll go get two teams or six teams and this league will be better than it ever has been."

Broncolingus
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
With Nebraska going to the Big 10, that basically ended the Big 12 (or whatever it was going to be had it survived).

Getting from most of the 'connected' alum that Texas will now go to the PAC-10 and A&M will (likely) end up SEC.

OrangeHoof
06-12-2010, 04:12 PM
It seems all the dominoes are falling into place except Texas A&M. There's no evidence yet that the SEC is going to accept A&M unless another school (likely from the ACC) is paired up with them.

So, for now, it seems most likely that:

The Big XII will cease to exist (although it will slowly decompose on the schedules for the next two years).

Nebraska has joined the Big 10 (which now has 12 members).
Colorado has joined the Pac 10 (which now has 11 members) and could be joined soon by Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. (which makes 15).
Texas A&M might join the SEC or might join the Pac 10.
Baylor seems to be reluctantly headed to Conference USA.
The Mountain West, which added Boise St. to get to 10 teams, could add Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St. and Missouri to become 14 teams.
Missouri WANTS to be in the Big 10 but the Big 10 will only take them as a consolation prize if they can't get anyone else and needs an even number of schools.
Baylor WANTS to be in the Pac 10 but there's almost no chance of it happening.

If Texas A&M does go to the SEC, the fallbacks for the Pac-10 are Utah or Kansas.

If Notre Dame goes to the Big 10 (less than 50% chance that happens), that may start the feeding frenzy of other schools leaving the Big East for the Big Ten or the ACC.

That's how it all shakes out now.

Nomad
06-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Any teams east of the Rockies makes no sense in the Pac 10. Why all of a sudden the Big 12 is falling apart???? Texas A&M makes sense in the SEC because of their history with LSU. WAZZU mineaswell join the WAC because they'll get beatdowns every Sat with this new alignment of teams!!

Florida St is being rumored/targeted for the SEC!!

OrangeHoof
06-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Imagine a MWC (or whatever they rename themselves) of 14 teams and two divisions:

East:

Air Force
Colorado St.
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Missouri
TCU

West:

Boise St.
BYU
New Mexico
San Diego St.
Utah
UNLV
Wyoming

(Actually, any twosome of Wyoming, Colorado St., Air Force and New Mexico can be split into East and West. They can decide which ones they'd prefer)

OrangeHoof
06-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I was reading earlier that Florida would fight against Florida St. joining the SEC because, apparently, there was some bad blood many years ago when Florida wanted Florida St. to join and the Seminoles preferred to stay an independent,

Nomad
06-12-2010, 04:26 PM
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100609/NEWS03/706099921

Is Big 12 breakup a federal case?
By Joseph Morton
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

WASHINGTON — Please don't leave us.

That's what Nebraska's U.S. senators are hearing from their Kansas colleagues at the Capitol. The Kansans fear that a Big Red departure from the Big 12 could spell the league's doom and leave their beloved Kansas Jayhawks and Kansas State Wildcats shivering in the cold without a major conference to call home.

If that happens, at least two lawmakers — one from Kansas, the other from Iowa — suggested that congressional action is possible.

On Tuesday, Sen. Pat Roberts, Wildcat Republican, buttonholed Sen. Ben Nelson, Husker Democrat, addressing him in a hallway just off the Senate floor.

Advertising
“Don't be the domino that blows college football up into four major conferences and gets rid of the NCAA,” a World-Herald reporter heard the Kansas senator tell Nelson. “It isn't going to do anybody any good when those dominoes start falling.”

Roberts added, in apparent reference to Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne: “He doesn't want on his tombstone ‘He ruined the Big 12.'”

Nelson, for his part, deferred: “I just have a lot of confidence in Coach Osborne to make the right decision, ultimately.”

Roberts then asked about the timing of Nebraska's decision.

“He didn't give me a time frame,” Nelson said.

“Well, even Turner Gill is saying ‘Hey, don't do this,” Roberts said. Gill, a former Nebraska quarterback, now coaches the football team at Kansas, Nebraska's oldest football rival. The two teams have met 116 times, marking the country's third-longest series — and longest continuous one in college football's top division. That streak could end if Nebraska leaves for the Big Ten.

Roberts later told The World-Herald that if the Big 12 falls apart, Congress could act.

“There's going to be a lot of litigation, and then Congress will probably try to stick its nose into it,” Roberts said. “I would prefer that that not be the case, but there have always been antitrust concerns.”

Roberts suggested a Big 12 break-up could result in only four major conferences and even the demise of the NCAA.

“I think the big concern here that Congress could take a look at is how the network television contracts are driving different schools to consider different conferences to attract the money — and those that will be in those big conferences, or super conferences, will get the money and others won't,” Roberts said.

Roberts planned to call Osborne himself Tuesday afternoon. Osborne, who served six years in the House of Representatives before becoming NU's athletic director, did not respond to a World-Herald request for comment Tuesday afternoon.

Roberts' home-state colleague, too, has lobbied for Nebraska to stay put. Sen. Sam Brownback is a Republican with Jayhawk and Wildcat degrees.

The two wrote a joint press release Tuesday, saying, "Students, fans, and alumni on both sides of the Kansas-Nebraska state line take great pride in competing against Big 12 Conference members within a three and a half hour drive from the home field, close enough for family, friends and fellow students to be able to attend the game."

Rep. Adrian Smith, Husker Republican, said, "Nebraska may have never been as appreciated by Kansas as we are now."

Sen. Mike Johanns, a Husker Republican — though he graduated from St. Mary's University and Creighton — said he'll root for Nebraska regardless of the conference in which it competes.

"This is a decision that should be weighed carefully by individual universities and not subject to meddling by the federal government," Johanns said. "I reached an agreement with Tom Osborne a while back — I won't tell him how to run the football program if he doesn't tell me how to be senator."

A Big 12 break-up could be bad news for the Iowa State Cyclones, too.

U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, the former governor of Iowa, put in a pitch for the Huskers staying put when he saw Smith at Tuesday night's White House congressional picnic. "He just said ‘I urge you to stay,'" Smith said.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, a (Northern Iowa) Panther and (Iowa) Hawkeye Republican, said the situation bears watching by Congress.

“It seems premature for the federal government to intervene at this point, but there is precedent to get involved in sports matters,” Grassley said.

Roberts isn't just twisting Nebraska arms on the issue. He has urged Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas to give Longhorns football coach Mack Brown a call.

And Roberts plans to ring up Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds, who previously held the same position at K-State.

His message: “Look before you leap.”

Contact the writer:

202-662-7270, joe.morton@owh.com

Nomad
06-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I was reading earlier that Florida would fight against Florida St. joining the SEC because, apparently, there was some bad blood many years ago when Florida wanted Florida St. to join and the Seminoles preferred to stay an independent,

I believe the rest of the SEC would welcome the Seminoles and overrule Florida just like the Big 10 would welcome the Irish (even though they are PITA about being independent).

dogfish
06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
****ing assclown congressmen, always trying to throw their weight around. . .

if your alma mater had a decent football program, maybe someone would want them. . . .

OrangeHoof
06-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Don't let the politicians get involved. It's FUBAR enough as it is without getting Orrin Hatch or John McCain involved. That would make me switch to watching the shopping channels in a rubber room.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Don't let the politicians get involved. It's FUBAR enough as it is without getting Orrin Hatch or John McCain involved. That would make me switch to watching the shopping channels in a rubber room.

I just read the article, and unless I missed it, I did not see either one of their names mentioned :confused:

Nomad
06-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Orangehoof, I really don't follow Big 12 football but what's collapsing this conference!

dogfish
06-12-2010, 06:21 PM

seriously. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/06/11/2010-06-11_big_12_gone_ncaa_going.html

The once-mighty Big 12 appears to be crumbling amid the seismic shift in the college football landscape. The NCAA, as we know it today, could be the next to go.

With Nebraska set to bolt for the Big Ten, Colorado already on its way to the Pac-10, and five other member schools - Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State - also on the verge of a mass exodus for the Pac-10, it's clear the Big 12 is just about done.

And when the dust finally settles on the new world order of college athletics, there will likely be a seismic change in the landscape that could produce four 16-team super conferences - the Big Ten, Pac-10, SEC and ACC. Those four conferences have the potential to dictate the future of college athletics with their own lucrative television contracts and postseason championships, and can marginalize the importance of the BCS and other Division I programs, which will be left on the outside looking in.

Is a four-conference national championship playoff that far off?

The NCAA most likely will operate at the behest of these entitled 64 universities that can regulate and share their revenue at their own discretion. The NCAA essentially will soon realize it is only a service provider to the power players in college athletics, taking a page from Notre Dame football, which has maintained its independent status because it has become must-see TV.

Just imagine how much clout the four potential power conferences would have if the Irish ever joined the Big Ten.

These latest changes could eventually even create a secession movement. Though Abraham Lincoln was able to preserve the union, it is in doubt whether new NCAA president Mark Emmert can preserve this organization in its current form.

The NCAA may have dropped a bomb on USC's football program on Thursday, putting the Trojans on four years' probation, banning them from postseason play for two years, taking away 30scholarships and forcing them to forfeit all their wins from the 2004 national championship season and from 2005, when they played for another one. But it also may have been USC's BCS brethren, enforcing checks and balances to keep the king under control.

There were no voices raised in protest from Indianapolis this week when college athletics plunged into a sea of chaos, with the more influential programs finding a new way of increasing their assets.

By the same token, none of the university presidents has publicly commented on the new changes that will affect all of them. It's become more evident who the ruling class in college athletics really is and it has little to do with institutional values or university missions and more to do with financial balance sheets.

Many academics have changed their view of college athletics when they see the benefits of informercials at halftime of Saturday prime-time football and throughout the three weeks of March Madness.

This isn't about creating better competition or bringing together like institutions in similar regions, it's all about the ability to build war chests to sustain universities through tough economic times.

These new geographic affiliations are a far cry from the early 1990s, when university presidents from the Big Ten offered their opinions about whether Penn State - which was considered an outpost - was too far for their teams to travel to when the Lions applied for membership. Likewise, don't expect to hear these same university presidents speaking out about TV time slots like they did when 9 p.m. West Coast games were slotted to assure additional programming for cable networks.

It's hard to rationalize a megaconference that spans half a continent, stretching from State College, Pa., to Lincoln, Neb., or College Station, Tex., to Pullman, Wash. Even professional sports are set up with geographical considerations. It is hard to imagine what logic there is when East Coast teams in Major League Baseball have two West Coast swings a season while college athletes in the new Pac-16 will be doing it on a biweekly basis.

But with all the money set to come in the front door, logic is out the window.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/06/11/2010-06-11_big_12_gone_ncaa_going.html#ixzz0qgacgQKb

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279963

The Southeastern Conference, reportedly keen on adding Texas A&M amid the onrush of a Big 12 shakeup, would be just as interested in luring Texas and Oklahoma but doesn't see either as a realistic option, sources with knowledge of the SEC's maneuverings have told ESPN and ESPN.com.

An SEC athletic director told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that the SEC's first choice would be adding the Longhorns, but might consider taking Texas A&M because it expands the league's footprint into the Dallas and Houston TV markets.

Given the fact that Texas A&M may be the only Big 12 school the SEC could add, the league was prepared to make the move even if Texas and Oklahoma went elsewhere.

"We've got to be diligent in evaluating this," another SEC athletic director told ESPN.com's Schlabach. "We can't just add teams who are going to split the pie without adding anything substantial to the pie."

Adding the Aggies would provide SEC West member Arkansas with a natural rival, which the Razorbacks have lacked since joining the league in 1992 from the Southwest Conference.

Looking beyond the Big 12 for expansion, specifically to the ACC for schools such as Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida State or Miami, was not in the SEC's plans, sources told ESPN.

The sources saw no way the SEC would raid the ACC and added serious doubt that Virginia Tech could be pried away from Virginia.

The idea the SEC would go after Kansas was also dismissed, though a KU source said that would be a preference for the Jayhawks.

Big 12 sources continued to suggest to ESPN on Saturday that the addition of five more Big 12 teams to the Pac-10 is the most likely scenario after Colorado's move. The exodus could begin as early as Tuesday, but nothing has been finalized.

A source with knowledge of Oklahoma's future told ESPN on Saturday that Oklahoma had not committed to the Pac-10, and Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Saturday that the Longhorns were still considering "all options."

Oklahoma was still mulling several options Saturday and discussions within the Sooners program were ongoing, a source told ESPN. One plan still on the table was to keep the 10 remaining Big 12 schools together and reposition the conference for the future.

A source familiar with the Sooners said there was compelling information the Big 12 would still be very strong. The Big 12 could remain at 10 or add teams, which the source said would be a choice to be made later and carefully reviewed.

OrangeHoof
06-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I just read the article, and unless I missed it, I did not see either one of their names mentioned :confused:

Hatch has stuck his nose in the BCS mess a few times and McCain had panels on steroids in baseball and other sports (remember McGwire, Sosa, et al?). They were examples of the sort of senators who have had no problem preening for the cameras about "fixing" what's wrong with sports.

Neither was mentioned in the story but if conference membership issues work their way to Washington DC, you can bet there will be some in both parties who can't resist sticking their faces in front of the cameras over this.

I just don't feel like it's the government's business who gets invited to which conference. Don't they have more important things to do?

OrangeHoof
06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Orangehoof, I really don't follow Big 12 football but what's collapsing this conference!

Inequity, mostly. Texas set up the rules so the tv money was based on number of appearances, not equal shares. Plus, Nebraska has never forgiven Texas for insisting that 'partial qualifiers' could not be given scholarships. Nebraska built their dynasty in the 1980s and 1990s on recruiting athletes that schools in other conferences would not admit. When the Texas schools came aboard the Big 12, they insisted that partial qualifiers would not be admitted at member schools.

That, and the member schools don't have the sweetheart tv deals of the Big 10 and SEC because Texas held out hope for their own private tv deal (a la Notre Dame). So, there are some who want out. Frankly, if the Pac 10 or Big 10 or SEC will have them, I don't blame them for leaving. There's more prestige and better tv money than if they stayed.

OrangeHoof
06-13-2010, 02:31 PM
It appears a deal between the SEC and Texas A&M is very close to happening. Texas has already told the SEC "no" but the SEC is still trying to woo Oklahoma. The Sooners would probably say "yes" except for two major hang-ups: 1) they want Oklahoma St. in on the deal and the SEC would likely refuse. 2) Oklahoma still wants to maintain their rivalry with Texas and that will be harder for Texas to agree to if both A&M and OU are suddenly non-conference.

The Pac-10 is meeting with the Oklahoma schools today. If the Aggies depart, I think the Big XII has breathed its last. Big XII commissioner Bebee is making his last push but, with Nebraska and Colorado out, a Texas A&M defection would be unrecoverable.

Regents at Texas and Texas Tech are expected to meet separately on Tuesday but it seems almost a certainty now that the Big XII is being split up and that the Longhorns, Raiders, Sooners and Cowboys are 90% likely to join the Pac-11. The next question becomes "who is the 16th school"? Also "Who becomes the 14th school in the SEC if they add A&M"?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2010, 07:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5282178

As part of his strategy to keep the Big 12 Conference intact, commissioner Dan Beebe is trying to convince Texas -- the key -- and other schools that a 10-team model would still provide strong television revenue, a source familiar with Beebe's plan said Sunday.

Beebe has been told the loss earlier this week of Nebraska to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac-10 could diminish the value of the Big 12 by as little as 8 to 10 percent.

Beebe is stressing the value of sharing revenue with fewer schools and collecting and distributing the departure penalties of Nebraska and Colorado, the source said.

Secondary elements of the pitch include keeping natural rivalries intact and considering the interests of both fans and student-athletes.

Under the plan, Texas could still conceivably pursue its own TV deal, something it would not be able to do in the Pac-10.

Schools in favor of keeping the Big 12 together are suggesting the Pac-10's plan is based largely on projections and that it's unclear exactly when a Pac-10 network would launch and how successful it could be.

Officials from five Big 12 schools -- Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor -- held a conference call on Saturday, The Kansas City Star reported. The schools agreed they would like to continue as members of the Big 12.

The boards of regents from Texas and Texas Tech each plan to weigh conference-affiliation plans Tuesday, while Oklahoma's board will discuss its future on Wednesday.

Nomad
06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Texass getting their way! :elefant: At least I won't have to watch them in the Pac 11, I hope this stands.

__________________________________________________ ________
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

June 14, 2010

Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist

Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres
In a bombshell development that could bring a halt to seismic changes in college realignment, sources tell Orangebloods.com Texas is at the table with the 10 remaining Big 12 schools working on a TV deal put forth by commissioner Dan Beebe that would hold the conference together.

Texas AD DeLoss Dodds appears to have helped persuade UT president Bill Powers to hold the Big 12 together with 10 teams.

If there's consensus to the deal, and it appears there is, it could be announced as early as Monday, sources said.

According to sources familiar with the deal, Texas stands to earn between $20 million and $25 million in television revenue, including money from its own network. The UT network figures to generate between $3 million and $5 million, according to sources.

According to sources, the deal will mean more money for Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, who all stand receive $20 million from the new deal. The other seven schools in the Big 12 would make between $14 million and $17 million, but would nearly double what they currently receive in TV revenue (roughly $7 million to $9 million).

The deal brokering puts on hold a courtship between Texas and the Pac-10, which all but seemed solidified as of Friday when Nebraska announced it was heading to the Big Ten and Colorado had a press conference with its new commissioner - Larry Scott of the Pac-10.

But as it became clear over the weekend that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State appeared ready join the Pac-10 and Texas A&M appeared ready to join the SEC, Beebe was able to obtain assurances that a TV deal could be reached paying each of the 10 remaining members of the Big 12 at least $14 million and $17 million.

Under Beebe's plan, schools would also be able to explore their own distribution platforms, including networks.

Texas would not be able to pursue those options in the Pac-10, which is planning to launch a conference network in 2012 and would require schools to turn over all of their inventory.

If the Big 12 is able to work out a deal with its 10 remaining teams, it's likely Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott would look to add Utah as the 12th member of his league and launch a conference network in 2012, sources said.

BEEBE'S HAIL MARY

"My plan is about what's best for the citizens in this part of the country and for the student-athletes and not having this section of the country with all its major institutions connected to conferences that aren't even here. We shouldn't be a fly-over zone," Beebe told Orangebloods.com on Sunday before returning to what he called his "War Room" on no sleep from the previous night.

Friday afternoon Texas announced it would have a regents meeting on Tuesday at 11 a.m. that sources said was to finalize a vote to accept an invitation to the Pac-10.

That vote was expected to begin an exodus west by at least four Big 12 South teams (Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State).

THE BEEBE PLAN

Here's what Beebe has provided to the five Big 12 South schools who have been targeted by the Pac-10, including Texas A&M, who has been in deep conversation about joining the SEC, according to sources.

Associated Press

Dan Beebe's plan says the Big 12-Lite can get to $17 mil/school in its next TV deal in 2011.
--Beebe has secured information that enough money could be inked in its next TV negotiation (in 2011) that revenues per school would jump from between $7 million and $10 million in the Big 12 currently to $17 million beginning in 2012, which is what the SEC pays out.

--The 10 remaining Big 12 schools would divide up the more than $20 million in buyout penalties that will have to be paid by Colorado and Nebraska for leaving the league early.

--Individal institutions would be allowed to pursue their own networks, which has been a goal of Texas. If the Longhorns went to the Pac-10, they would have to forgo their own distribution platforms, including a network, because the Pac-16 would seek to have a conference network in which all inventory is shared.

(Consultants have put Texas' ability to generate revenue from its own network at between $3 million and $5 million after a start-up window of about three years.)

--The Big 12 would proceed with 10 teams. Everyone would play everyone in football, providing a nine-game conference schedule.

--The conference championship game would be dumped in the short-term (because the NCAA mandates 12 schools for a football title game).

--The loss of Nebraska and Colorado should have been a loss of about 16 percent to the league's revenue generating capacity. But because Colorado was an underperformer, the league lost only about 8.6 percent of its value with the loss of Nebraska, according to sources with knowledge of the Beebe Plan.

AN END TO REALIGNMENT COULD BE ON THE LINE

If life could be breathed into the Beebe plan by the Big 12 South, life would re-enter the Big 12 North, where limbo has been the theme for more than a week at Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State as well as at Baylor in the Big 12 South.

It might also stop what appears to be an impending avalanche of college realignment across the country, depending on how conversations between Texas A&M and the SEC might be affected.

Sources say if the Pac-10 is ultimately denied by the Big 12 South schools, Scott would likely extend an invitation to Utah and wrap up the Pac-10's expansion at 12.

The information from Beebe might at least slow down the rocket-like pace of Big 12 schools seeking a new home and possibly draw all the divided parties back to the table.

Hearings are scheduled in the Texas House on Wednesday with invitations to all the Texas universities involved in this break-neck game of musical conferences to get some answers by elected officials.

Texas Rep. Dan Branch, R-Dallas, who will preside over the hearings as chair of the House Higher Education Committee, said it would not be wise to act on any conference movement before Wednesday.

"I think it's great the different conference commissioners are going around and being vigilant about what the market economies are," Branch told Orangebloods.com Sunday night.

"I applaud the universities for being nimble and acting quickly and looking at everything. But I think the leadership would be wise to give their principal officers authority but not to act.

"They need to make sure the people of Texas and their elected representatives have a chance to get their questions asked and answered. There will be time to act after that."

Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane Jr., a prominent Baylor alum, told Orangebloods.com Sunday that officials will live to regret killing off prized tradition in Texas college athletics by moving too quickly.

"The rivalries between Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor have lasted more than 100 years," McLane said. "Those are treasured assets in this state. And to see them broken up and discarded would be a travesty.

"Sometimes we make decisions faster than we should. I would like to encourage the universities to see the issues as they are, the tradition. To wipe out over 100 years of tradition and go start playing on the west or east coast, that just doesn't fit what this state is all about."

BIG 12-LITE HAS A PULSE

So hold on folks. This is about to get interesting. The key in all of this now is Texas A&M will come back to the table and rethink its position on leaving for the Pac-10 and is considering the Beebe proposal.

Texas A&M has been in deep discussions with the SEC and as of Saturday night had enough votes on its Board of Regents to join the SEC (believed to be 6-3).

But the dissenting votes on A&M's regents board are apparently passionate about keeping Texas and A&M together and not breaking up a 100-year rivalry by having the schools head to different leagues.

Sources say SEC commissioner Mike Slive was in College Station Saturday. Sources close to the situation say A&M has an invitation to the SEC if it wants it. The SEC has also been doggedly pursuing Oklahoma.

But with news that Texas and Texas A&M are now willing to stay put, the Big 12 just might survive after all.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15295447

The battered Big 12 Conference is going to survive in some fashion after Texas announced Monday that it will "continue competing in the Big 12," possibly scuttling the Pac-10's expansion plans.

A source close to the Pac-10's expansion negotiations told The Denver Post on Monday that Texas insisted on better revenue sharing and its own network, which essentially killed the deal.

"In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they're trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting," the source said. "They want a better revenue sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. (The Pac-10) wants to treat everyone fairly. It's been that way for months of discussions."

Texas had planned a regents meeting today, but it was canceled and now there is a news conference this morning from the Longhorns' athletic department.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M officials also said Monday night they will stay in the Big 12.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, poleaxed by last week's departures of Colorado to the Pac-10 and Nebraska to the Big Ten, is projecting for the 10 remaining conference members an annual TV revenue of at least $17 million each, according to numerous media reports.

The conference also has told Texas it could keep its network, which athletic director DeLoss Dodds says he hopes to bring the school another $1 million-$2 million a year. That network, which would broadcast all Texas sports around the country to subscribers, became a deal breaker with the Pac-10 and its future negotiations with television.

OrangeHoof
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
This is the best possible news. Cutting up the Big XII was going to screw the teams left in the B12 north and A&M breaking away would have made the move to the Pac-16 less desirable.

They can always add two schools to get back to 12 but they are now going to make money on the defections of NU and CU to buy them time to regroup.

Broncolingus
06-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Shocking...

The hardcore UT alum were 100% sure they were PAC-10 bound...

...but, I guess that's why they play the...

...well, err...you know what I mean.

Seriously, 72-hours ago, I'd have bet Clay's house the Big-12 was done for.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2010, 10:18 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/university.of.colorado.2.1751602.html

The resurrection of the Big 12 is great news not only for that conference, it appears to be great news for the University of Colorado.

Sources close to C.U. have told CBS4 Sports the Buffs are projected to be in a 6 team division in the new Pac-10. The Buffs will be joined by USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State and probably Utah, which is expected to receive an invitation to join the Pac-10.

That means USC and UCLA will be regular vistors to Boulder once the new conference officially begins competing in 2012.

The remaining teams in the conference that will make up the Pac-10 North are:

Cal-Berkeley
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Nomad
06-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Last game I watched Wash St live was against the Buffs at Qwest Field in Seattle....Cougs lost:ohwell:. I believe it was either 2004 or 2005.

I don't know if Utah will be as easily lured as some think, mainly because of BYU.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Last game I watched Wash St live was against the Buffs at Qwest Field in Seattle....Cougs lost:ohwell:. I believe it was either 2004 or 2005.

I don't know if Utah will be as easily lured as some think, mainly because of BYU.

Not sure how valid it is, but I heard that the Big 12 is considering adding BYU and AF, to replace CU and Nebraska.

Nomad
06-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Not sure how valid it is, but I heard that the Big 12 is considering adding BYU and AF, to replace CU and Nebraska.

:confused:Why not add TCU and Houston (Houston's just as good as AF)?? I hope BYU and AF tells them to shove their invitation up you know what.

Plus adding Fresno State to the MWC would make alot of sense for them!! I like the MWC and hope they keep this conference intact but could afford to lose a TCU team because of their region!

Broncolingus
06-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Cute read from CNNSi...

...and sounds about right to me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/15/texas-expansion/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

AUSTIN, Texas -- They've been talking a lot about textbooks and revisionist history in this town the past few months. So it only seems germane to ask: If, in five, 10 or 20 years, someone writes a history of the Big 12 conference, how will the text describe the events of late May and early June in 2010?

If the book is published in Austin, it might describe how the University of Texas swooped in at the last moment to rescue the conference from utter annihilation by turning down a deal from the Pac-10. It will praise president Bill Powers and athletic director DeLoss Dodds for their concern for their region, their Big 12 colleagues and the poor student-athletes who would have missed so much class while playing in Eugene or Palo Alto.

If the book is published in College Station, it might describe how Texas A&M's flirtation with the SEC scared the mighty Longhorns right back into the Big 12 because Texas feared A&M would grow too powerful thanks to an influx of new cash and the added football recruiting boost the Aggies would receive from membership in a conference that occupies a ton of prime national television real estate.

If the book is published in Lubbock, it might describe how those bullies, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma, strongarmed the other seven into giving them all the departure penalties that will be collected as a result of Colorado leaving for the Pac-10 and Nebraska leaving for the Big Ten.

If the book is published by some hippie out in California, it might describe how Texas strung along the Pac-10, demanding its local TV rights at the 11th hour when the Pac-10 had always assumed schools would turn over their local rights so the league could start a cable network. At that point, the Pac-10 walked away from the table, allowing Texas to return to a league it could control with an even sweeter deal and no pesky Cornnhuskers to muck up all the conference get-togethers.

After conversations with people in every camp, it's obvious the truth is somewhere between all those views.

Though it pains Aggies and Sooners to hear this, Texas did save the Big 12. "Texas," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe admitted Tuesday, "has a lot of influence." Texas did not save the league because of any noble, altruistic act, though. It saved the Big 12 because it wanted the best deal for Texas. And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that -- heck, that's how business entities in this country are supposed to operate -- the Longhorns shouldn't position themselves as champions of the downtrodden, either.

Throughout this entire process, readers have written and complained that Texas or Notre Dame or the Big Ten or the SEC has too much influence. I always responded the same way. Conference realignments have always been governed by the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules. At the moment, Texas has the most gold of any individual program.

Basically, the Longhorns swung for the fences, missed, and, in the process, saved the conference. If the Pac-10 had caved and given Texas its local TV rights so it could start its own cable network, Texas would have had the sweetest deal in all of college sports. It was a deal no self-respecting university president would have turned down. Texas could attempt that negotiating gambit because Beebe had gotten positive vibes from TV partner Fox about "exponential" revenue increases when Fox's contract expires at the end of the 2011-12 school year. Beebe also secured a pledge from ESPN/ABC to continue paying at the same rate until its contract expires in 2016 despite the fact that the conference lost two schools and will no longer stage a football championship game. That means 10 schools will split $60 million a year instead of 12. "The Big 12 approached us asking if we would maintain our agreement through its term of 2015-16, and we agreed," ESPN spokesman Mike Humes said in a statement from the network.

So when the Pac-10 declined to cave in to the Longhorns' demands, Texas simply moved to its next (also excellent) option: make a few million more than it does now, start its cable network and essentially run a BCS conference. To seal the deal, the other seven agreed to fork over the penalty money to Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, all of which also had been coveted by other leagues. (The offer has yet to be accepted by the big three.) Oklahoma, as one of the nation's most powerful football programs, had plenty of juice. Texas A&M, a top 25 revenue program with keen interest from the SEC, also had bargaining power. The rest did not, with the possible exception of Oklahoma State threatening to cut off all interviews with superbooster T. Boone Pickens. "They were being hotly pursued by a number of conferences," Beebe said of the Big Three. "Their value is based on their tradition and their success, and all three of them could have left for desirable situations."

At the end of the day, though, Texas took care of Texas. "Every family I know tries to take care of their family first," Texas football coach Mack Brown said Tuesday in a way only Mack Brown can. "And then they try to help their friends." That the Big 12 stayed afloat was a happy accident. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. If fans of Missouri or Texas Tech or Oklahoma State don't like playing in a league run by the Longhorns, they have two options: Join another conference or hire smart executives and coaches and find a way to make more money than Texas.

It may seem as if Texas has been the nation's richest, most powerful program forever, but that's not even close to true. In 1991, it was Notre Dame, which had just signed its first deal with NBC. Notre Dame remains powerful, but it isn't as strong as Texas. In 2030, some other school will be the nation's most powerful, and it will control a conference or hold all the cards in a realignment standoff.

We very well could see a repeat of this saga in a few years. Beebe and Texas president Powers said Tuesday that the only commitment the league required of its 10 remaining members were "strong public statements of unequivocal commitment." (Yes, both men used that identical phrase.) Obviously, a financial penalty remains for schools that would leave the league, but that didn't stop Nebraska or Colorado. Would it stop Missouri if the Big Ten -- a rumored suitor -- came calling? "I've talked to [Missouri athletic director] Mike Alden," Texas athletic director Dodds said Tuesday. "I had a good long conversation with him, and I feel very comfortable with where Missouri is."

That's still not entirely reassuring. How does anyone know whether a league that almost fell apart because Texas has too much power and came back together because Texas has too much power won't simply fall apart again -- probably because Texas has too much power? No one knows, just as no one knows when some conference will next try to radically realign college sports.

"If we live long enough," Dodds said, "it's going to happen all over again."

And when it does, the winners probably will write the history.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/15/texas-expansion/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin#ixzz0r1tdI1p6

Spiritguy
06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
SALT LAKE CITY -- After months of speculation, the University of Utah has officially accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10 conference.

"Today is an absolutely great day to be a Ute," athletic director Chris Hill said before he was interrupted by applause during a news conference at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

The room was packed with Utah dignitaries, boosters and dozens of red and white balloon bouquets. University president Michael Young made it official by signing the agreement, which drew another extended round of applause.

Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott said the main focus was academics, as well as athletics.

"We wouldn't be here today if the University of Utah had not distinguished itself," Scott said.

Utah will join current members Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington and Washington State along with Colorado, which made the departure from the Big 12 earlier this week.

Colorado was slated to switch in 2012, but the Utes want to move in as early as 2011.

The move not only means a step up in overall competition, prestige and recruiting, but also a huge increase in revenue. Right now, the Utes take in just over $1 million a year in the Mountain West Conference. With the Pac-10, that number is estimated to jump to between $10 million and $20 million with a new television contract expected to be announced.

In addition, Rice-Eccles Stadium is expected to be expanded and the locker room facilities upgraded.

link (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=635&sid=11210641)

OrangeHoof
06-17-2010, 06:43 PM
I find it interesting that Missouri started all the chaos and, ultimately, went slinking back to the Big XII when they realized nobody truly wanted them.

Nomad
06-17-2010, 07:03 PM
WOW! The Utes surprise me. Pac 12 will be fun to watch as always!! And now they'll have a conference championship.....WAZZU:( poor them!!

Denver Native (Carol)
06-17-2010, 08:24 PM
WOW! The Utes surprise me. Pac 12 will be fun to watch as always!! And now they'll have a conference championship.....WAZZU:( poor them!!

Or as Vic Lombardi, cbs4 is calling it - "12 PAC" :lol:

Nomad
06-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Funny!! Never thought of it that way!!

Nomad
06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Kinda of figured the Big 12 would try and get Houston and TCU, makes sense though. But rumors are Jerry Jones is targeting Arkansas and Notre Dame. Hell, by the time it's all said and done, it'll be the old Southwest Conference again plus/minus some teams! Why is Texass afraid to add those 2 teams....Houston and TCU. They seem to be selfish and jackasses about the whole thing but it's typical from this team and the people who run it!!

Lawmakers pushing for a Houston invite to Big 12
Posted by John Taylor on June 17, 2010 3:07 PM ET
Jerry Jones is reportedly doing it for Arkansas and Notre Dame, so why the hell not have others stumping for (add school's name here) inclusion in the undersized Big 12?

According to the Houston Chronicle, over two dozen Texas lawmakers are going public with their efforts to get the University of Houston a spot in the Big 12(-2). Two state representatives, Garnet Coleman (D-Houston) and Bill Callegari (R-Katy), penned a letter asking the conference to take under consideration the addition of the Cougars.

"For years, UH has served as the academic cornerstone of a burgeoning metropolis known for its nexus to state, national, and global commerce and culture," the letter read. "UH is the third largest university in Texas, and is on track to rank among the top research universities in this state. Despite UH's local and statewide prominence, the university does not belong to a strong BCS conference such as the Big 12. The Cougars, the City of Houston, and the State of Texas deserve better."

Commissioner Dan Beebe is already on record as saying that going above the current 10-team constitution is not on the table right now. One argument that could be made against the addition of UH is that both Texas and Texas A&M already have the Houston television footprint covered. Coleman calls "BS" on that particular tack.

"If we look at viral networks -- viral being the expansion of something based on greater interest -- the problem with the argument being made (that Texas and Texas A&M already capture the Houston market for the Big 12) is that it's based on a static circumstance," Coleman said. "I just totally disagree that the interest is only in those two schools on television in the Houston region.

"UT and A&M have been trying to claim Houston forever. No disrespect to them, but they don't have an undergraduate institution in Houston -- as much as they may want to have one. We have one."

In addition to Houston, lawmakers are also pushing for the inclusion of TCU in the Big 12. TCU has been a member of the Mountain West conference since 2005.

OrangeHoof
06-18-2010, 02:34 PM
There's no fear of Houston and TCU. Both are routinely on Texas' schedule for recruiting purposes. The reason they won't get into the Big XII is because the Big XII is already a solid draw in the Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth TV markets so adding those schools don't bring much additional revenue, particularly when the tv pie would have to be split 12 ways instead of 10.

The new conference alignments are all about getting the biggest tv bubble so you can sell your conference tv package to the most cable/satellite systems.

Every expansion move thus far has been about expanding the conference presence in a new part of the country. That's what this is truly all about - finding compatible schools that can allow you to market your tv packages in new places.

dogfish
06-18-2010, 02:42 PM

they truly need to call it that-- that would be the coolest conference name of all time. . .

OrangeHoof
06-18-2010, 02:44 PM
"UT and A&M have been trying to claim Houston forever. No disrespect to them, but they don't have an undergraduate institution in Houston -- as much as they may want to have one. We have one."

It's about where the alumni and fan bases live. Texas (about a three-hour drive from Downtown Houston) and A&M (about a 90-minute drive) churn out about 20,000 graduates a year combined and many of these relocate (or move back) to Houston or DFW metro areas after graduation.

University of Houston is about half the size of either A&M or UT in terms of graduates.

I know there are a lot of people with a bug up their butts about how a small rural private school like Baylor got into the Big XII when several other schools didn't. That's because they had an alumnus as Governor of Texas at the time the SWC was being carved up and their schools didn't.

Nomad
07-05-2010, 04:38 PM
:lol:Tuberville already making friends in the Big 12!
Posted by John Taylor on July 2, 2010 9:01 PM ET
Tommy Tuberville created quite the stir earlier in the week when the new Texas Tech head coach said during a radio interview that, among other things, he didn't think the Big 12 conference "will last long."

Tuberville's message of impending doom for the Big 12 ultimately found its way to the conference offices, and the league has responded with a very stiff and severe slap on the wrist.

According to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, Tuberville has been publicly reprimanded by the commissioner for the statements he made during the radio spot.

"Tommy Tuberville's comments were unfortunate, and contrary to the very strong feelings of unity expressed publicly and privately by the Big 12 Board of Directors and athletic directors," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said in a statement. "Coach Tuberville has admitted that his comments do not reflect his true feelings of respect for the conference, its leadership, and his excitement about its future and has apologized to the conference and its members.

"In deciding to reprimand Coach Tuberville, I took into account that this is a first-time offense and that he has committed to adhere to the rules and contribute to strengthen the conference. If not for these factors, a more significant penalty would be assessed, and will be if there are any future violations."

It's believed the more significant penalties Beebe refers to would involve some combination of a slap to both wrists, stripping him of dessert every other day for a solid two weeks, and limiting his X-box time to two hours a day during the work week.

Tuberville is currently duct taped in Beebe's coat closet on vacation and not available for comment.

OrangeHoof
07-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Tuberville is probably right about it but I can only see such comments hurting Tech's recruiting. They might have been invited to join the Pac-10 but only at UT's insistence. They aren't that far removed from joining Conference USA.

Skinny
07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Good for a laugh on a lazy sunday afternoon...

The Way of The World-Conference Realignment Redux in MS Paint: ShaggyBevo.com (http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/65557-The-Way-of-The-World-Conference-Realignment-Redux-in-MS-Paint-Part-2-p.6)