PDA

View Full Version : Broncos bring in a FB

Spiritguy
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
The Broncos set out to add competition to the roster this offseason, and that hasn’t changed as OTAs continue.

Fourth-year fullback Kyle Eckel joined the team Friday, now one of two fullbacks on the roster alongside Spencer Larsen.

That means Matt Prater is the only Bronco without competition on the roster at his position.

Eckel, who is already practicing with the team this morning, has spent time with the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles and most recently the New Orleans Saints.

Fresh off a Super Bowl XLIV win, Eckel has carried the ball 59 times for 175 yards and two touchdowns in his career, also hauling in three receptions for 20 yards.

The fullback played his college career at Navy, leaving the academy with 2,906 rushing yards — including 13 100-yard rushing games — and 25 rushing touchdowns. He became just the third player in school history to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a single season twice.

We’ll have more from Friday’s practice this afternoon.

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/eckel-adds-more-competition/)

dogfish
06-04-2010, 03:48 PM
shoulda kept hillis, damn it. . . .

Broncolingus
06-04-2010, 03:49 PM
What's a 'Kyle Eckel?'

claymore
06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
He played for Navy. That means Brady Quin likes the signing.

Northman
06-04-2010, 03:53 PM
They had one and let him go. lmao

Broncolingus
06-04-2010, 03:54 PM
He played for Navy. That means Brady Quinn likes the signing.

lmfao :D

slim
06-04-2010, 04:03 PM

The Hillis thing was strange. I mean, McD always preaches the value of versatile, tough players.

I can't think of a more versatile FB in the league.

dogfish
06-04-2010, 04:14 PM
The Hillis thing was strange. I mean, McD always preaches the value of versatile, tough players.

yea, i really don't understand it. . .

*shrugs*

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
What's a 'Kyle Eckel?'

It's a former Naval officer you schmuck. :D

BroncoWave
06-04-2010, 04:39 PM
They had one and let him go. lmao

Yep, and we still have one and we have a solid backup/potential starting QB to go along with it. Sounds like a good deal to me!

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
yea, i really don't understand it. . .

*shrugs*

I guess he wasn't team first kind of guy. :tsk: (sarcasm)

Northman
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Yep, and we still have one and we have a solid backup/potential starting QB to go along with it. Sounds like a good deal to me!

What? Taking a guy who really hasnt done anything at his position as opposed to one that has? Not sure if it was a great deal but keep on with your bad self. :lol:

Tempus Fugit
06-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I must have been asleep during the year that Hillis revolutionized the fullback position. But, on the bright side, at least this ridiculous complaint about McDaniels can be brought up again. Bitching about the 53rd player on the roster is always of utmost importance.

Northman
06-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I must have been asleep during the year that Hillis revolutionized the fullback position. But, on the bright side, at least this ridiculous complaint about McDaniels can be brought up again. Bitching about the 53rd player on the roster is always of utmost importance.

You seem asleep a lot on here.

BroncoWave
06-04-2010, 04:54 PM
What? Taking a guy who really hasnt done anything at his position as opposed to one that has? Not sure if it was a great deal but keep on with your bad self. :lol:

No I'm saying we got rid of one backup fullback who would never have played for us and got another backup FB who will never play along with a QB with good potential in Brady Quinn. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Tempus Fugit
06-04-2010, 04:56 PM
You seem asleep a lot on here.

Pointing out silly complaints, and the like, isn't sleeping. It's just common sense when it comes to message boards, really.

SOCALORADO.
06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I thought everyone agreed that there would be NO discussing the Hillis/Qwinn trade until this upcoming year was complete, and we had some raw data on the 2 to go off of?
Right?!?!?

Northman
06-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought everyone agreed that there would be NO discussing the Hillis/Qwinn trade until this upcoming year was complete, and we had some raw data on the 2 to go off of?
Right?!?!?

I thought we wouldnt discuss Tebow until he actually takes the field. You lose. :lol:

tomjonesrocks
06-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I guess he wasn't team first kind of guy. :tsk: (sarcasm)

He was fast and effective for Shanny when he was on the field--but I thought that actually *was* the rumor on him--that he was lazy in practice or something. Or was it the fumbling...or not wanting to block? :whoknows:

Would have liked to have seen more of him but actually doubt he'll get much time on the field in Cleveland either since Jerome Harrison appeared *very* effective at the end of last season...so Peyton probably won't get a chance to make McDaniels look stupid.

Fullbacks are growing extinct in the NFL in general it seems...

rationalfan
06-04-2010, 06:43 PM
regarding hillis, this point cannot be forgotten: there was a reason he was the fifth or sixth running back to start in his "breakout" season. if he was the stud everyone thinks he is he should have surely been able to eclipse the likes of mike pittman.

remember, denver's oline was dominant hillis' rookie year. give them the credit, not some dude whose legacy is larger than his accomplishments.

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 07:13 PM

HEy I like Hillis more than most , but I'll trade a potential Starting QB for a partite player any day of the week.

not sure why this is hard to under stand.

Does anyone have any stats on him?

Softskull
06-04-2010, 07:31 PM
HEy I like Hillis more than most , but I'll trade a potential Starting QB for a partite player any day of the week.

not sure why this is hard to under stand.

Does anyone have any stats on him?

Career stats

Quinn
Att Comp Pct Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int Rate
353 184 52.1 1,902 5.4 135.9 10 9 66.8

Hillis
Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD FUM Lost
81 397 4.9 6 18 198 1 1 1

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Career stats

Quinn
Att Comp Pct Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int Rate
353 184 52.1 1,902 5.4 135.9 10 9 66.8

Hillis
Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds TD FUM Lost
81 397 4.9 6 18 198 1 1 1

Was looking more for sizes and speed wher he went college etc

But thanks for those. Also wonndering the size of contract etc
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
06-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I like this move. Eckel played at Navy meaning he's got to be a pretty high character guy in addition to being smart and a hard worker

Timmy!
06-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Competition is good. Gotta have camp bodies. Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise.

Broncolingus
06-05-2010, 12:44 AM
It's a former Naval officer you schmuck. :D

Got it...I'm tracking!

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo81/ericgierens81/gayNavy.jpg

:D

broncofaninfla
06-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Eckle is a former Patriot as well. Played there when Josh was there. I'm glad we brought in a FB though because I'd like to see Larsen get a shot at playing a bigger role at ILB.

gregbroncs
06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
What? Taking a guy who really hasnt done anything at his position as opposed to one that has? Not sure if it was a great deal but keep on with your bad self. :lol:Must have missed the part where Hillis did anything at any position.

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 01:57 PM

....who? :confused:

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Hillis thought he was a rb.

Bosco
06-05-2010, 02:03 PM
regarding hillis, this point cannot be forgotten: there was a reason he was the fifth or sixth running back to start in his "breakout" season. if he was the stud everyone thinks he is he should have surely been able to eclipse the likes of mike pittman.

remember, denver's oline was dominant hillis' rookie year. give them the credit, not some dude whose legacy is larger than his accomplishments.

Pretty much.

Hillis has the talent to be truly elite, but it's his lack of intelligence that is holding him back.

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Got it...I'm tracking!

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo81/ericgierens81/gayNavy.jpg

:D

A week after Memorial Day.

I know some ex-Navy guys....

..DON'T think you'd be so passive in their presence. *wink wink*

Do you have a serious bone in your body?

broncofaninfla
06-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Hillis has the talent to be truly elite, but it's his lack of intelligence that is holding him back.

What bathroom wall did you read that on?

BroncoWave
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Hillis has the talent to be truly elite.

As do most 7th round picks! :lol:

Bosco
06-05-2010, 04:04 PM
What bathroom wall did you read that on?

The one that contained the results of Peyton's SIGMA test.

Hillis’s SIGMA test results raise several concerns. The approach he took to learning and preparation in college produced a personal belief that he was not able to consistently execute his responsibilities in games. There are strong indications that he needs to take more personal responsibility for learning what he needs to know. His coaches should make him execute, again and again, his responsibilities in game-like time constraints. During the off-season, pre-season, and practice, he will sometimes give less than his best effort and will let up when he sees an opportunity to do so. As a result, Hillis has not always been able to meet the challenges placed in front of him by his coaches. There were times when Hillis thought he came up short of meeting his own and his coaches’ expectations. He will be concerned about the kind of system he may be placed in and whether he can be successful and meet everyone’s requirements and demands. Hillis will tend to worry that he is not as prepared as he should be going into games. This self-doubt does not speak well for his chances of advancing and mastering his position requirements at the next level. Hillis is usually content to rely heavily on his natural abilities to get by and believes that his past coaches have had little impact on his performance. He thinks that he knows best and is less likely to listen to coaches’ advice and instructions and instead will try to play the game his own way. When things are not going well for him, Hillis will be openly critical and question his coaches and his teammates.

Basically, the exact opposite of what Josh McDaniels wants in a football player.

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
The one that contained the results of Peyton's SIGMA test.

Basically, the exact opposite of what Josh McDaniels wants in a football player.

Just so people have an idea, 3-4 right = normal intelligence. 9-10 college grad (BS). 13-14, Masters degree. Members of Mensa, 16-17. Average Doctor of an Exact Science, 18-19.
36 questions, getting harder at each level.

Level I

1) In 1976 Marcelo was 11 years old. How old will he be in 1999?

2) If 13 bullets cost $3.90, how much do 31 bullets cost?

3) A box measures 60 cm x 50 cm x 30 cm. What is the maximum number of smaller boxes measuring 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm that fit in it?

4) 12 people do a job in 12 days. How many people are needed to do the same job in 1 day?

5) A collection consists of 12 volumes. There are 300 pages in each volume, 50 lines on each page, and 100 letters on each line. What is the total number of letters in the collection?

Level II

6) A company has enough stock to supply its clientele of 2,500 people for 12 months. How long would this stock last if the clientele grew to 6,000 people?

7) If one horse can pull 600 kg, how many horses are needed to pull 6,150 kg?

8) Fernanda’s and Andreia’s ages total 18 years. What are their individual ages, given that Andreia is twice as old as Fernanda?

Level III

9) Ricardo weighs 30% more than José. If Ricardo were to lose 10% and José gain 20% of weight, which one of them would weigh more after that. Explain.

10) A planetary system has, in addition to the main star, 9 planets. Each planet has 7 primary satellites. One out of every 21 primary satellites has 3 co-orbital satellites. How many celestial bodies are there all together?

11) On a staircase with 1,000 steps there was 1 gram of gold on the 1st step, 2 grams on the 2nd, 3 grams on the 3rd, 4 grams on the 4th, 5 grams on the 5th and so on, so that there was 1 kg of gold on the last step. Given that 1 gram of gold is worth 11 dollars, calculate the total value of the gold on the staircase (in dollars).

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
06-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Just when I think i'm out...THEY PULL ME BACK IN!

**** peyton hillis