PDA

View Full Version : Brandstater released!

Spiritguy
06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
The first QB drops. Broncos have released Tom Brandstater. (tweet #1)

That changes things considerably. I don't see them trading Orton or Quinn at this point (tweet #2)

With the release of Brandstater, more reps for Tebow during camp. (tweet #3)

Vic Lombardi (http://twitter.com/VicLombardi)

claymore
06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
McDaniels is a QB killer!

Broncolingus
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I am (really) not all that much surprised at this...

SOCALORADO.
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM
HE will sign with NE by lunch.

MileHighCrew
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Late round pick... not shocking

Northman
06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
And here i thought it was going to be Tebow.

Broncolingus
06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
And here i thought it was going to be Tebow.

Good one!

:D

jhildebrand
06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Seems a bit silly to me. Why take the guy? We traded up this year for two DB's in the late rounds. Obviously McDaniels feels there is value there.

With the holes this team has to fill, I don't get the complete lasez faire attitude to picks.

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Wonder how many of those folks that were calling for him to start last year are looking for razor blades right now.

I wish him well and hope he gets a chance else where. :salute:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoWave
06-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Seems a bit silly to me. Why take the guy? We traded up this year for two DB's in the late rounds. Obviously McDaniels feels there is value there.

With the holes this team has to fill, I don't get the complete lasez faire attitude to picks.

Maybe because he didn't have Tebow or Quinn when he drafted him... :noidea:

underrated29
This makes ZERO sense to me.

1. why release him now?, what if one of our QBs goes down in/before tc. Then we would only have tebers and quinn or whichever two are left over from the injury.

2. He was costing us very little against the cap-why not jarvis moss?
3- So now we do not have a QB for the PS- BEcause there is no way quinn or tebow will ever make it through waivers to end up on our PS

4.- Besides Orton he is the only one with knowledge of our system/experience.

Now frankly I really dont give a dam about Tommy B. and wish him luck in the future. But this move seems premature to me. And maybe his QB skills just sucked soo bad that anyother new QB might be better. I do not know. Still do not like the move.

Mike
Kind of curious as to why it happened now. :confused:

Mike
06-04-2010, 11:27 AM

But this continues to show the FO lack of care/patience when it comes to picks. I won't beat it to death, but it is my biggest problem with McD so far.

BroncoWave
06-04-2010, 11:30 AM
But this continues to show the FO lack of care/patience when it comes to picks. I won't beat it to death, but it is my biggest problem with McD so far.

You're right, McD should have just ignored what he considered a franchise QB because he already had a late round pick from last year on the roster!

Mike
06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
You're right, McD should have just ignored what he considered a franchise QB because he already had a late round pick from last year on the roster!

Drama much?

BroncoWave
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Drama much?

I'm just trying to figure out your angle. At the point he drafted Brandstater, QB was a need and he got a project for cheap. Now that we've added Quinn and Tebow, QB isn't a big need and he felt that Brandstater had no use here. I think you are the one being overly dramatic about a late round project pick being cut at a position we have a surplus of.

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Perhaps he asked to be released or they did it so he could hook up with another team.

Maybe they expected him to have improved and he did not.

If he does not hook up with another team then we know he was a huge project that we no longer have time for.

Folks there ar just so many reps for the QB's to share. The more that the other three get the better they will be.

Mike
06-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm just trying to figure out your angle. At the point he drafted Brandstater, QB was a need and he got a project for cheap. Now that we've added Quinn and Tebow, QB isn't a big need and he felt that Brandstater had no use here. I think you are the one being overly dramatic about a late round project pick being cut at a position we have a surplus of.

My angle is simply pointing out McD's tendency to be careless with draft picks. He throws picks away to move up to pick someone who likely would still be there. I could care less that Brandstater is cut or McD's rationale in drafting him last year. I understand the thought process behind it. I don't care for the careless/impatient attitude regarding draft picks.

titan
06-04-2010, 11:41 AM

1. why release him now?, what if one of our QBs goes down in/before tc. Then we would only have tebers and quinn or whichever two are left over from the injury.

I'm guessing it's a move for Brandstater's benefit. The broncos didn't see him in their long term plans and released him now so he can have a chance with another team before camp starts.

Most times these late round quarterback picks don't work out, so I'm not surprised, though I do wonder why we traded extra picks to get him last year.

jrelway
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Wonder how many of those folks that were calling for him to start last year are looking for razor blades right now.

I wish him well and hope he gets a chance else where. :salute:

Brandstater looked alot better than orton in preseason. Maybe this was the reason why. I dont think we would've done much worse than 8-8 had brandstater started last season.

Traveler
06-04-2010, 11:53 AM
My angle is simply pointing out McD's tendency to be careless with draft picks. He throws picks away to move up to pick someone who likely would still be there. I could care less that Brandstater is cut or McD's rationale in drafting him last year. I understand the thought process behind it. I don't care for the careless/impatient attitude regarding draft picks.

While it is a litttle disturbing the way he views/uses draft picks, I do like the fact that he is willing to do what's necessary to get the player(s) he wants. That was one of my pet peeves with Shanahan.

Other than the Smith and Tebow trades, he's really only used lower round picks. Let's hope these players pan out or he won't be around long.

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Nailed this one. :salute:

underrated29
06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
While it is a litttle disturbing the way he views/uses draft picks, I do like the fact that he is willing to do what's necessary to get the player(s) he wants. That was one of my pet peeves with Shanahan.

Other than the Smith and Tebow trades, he's really only used lower round picks. Let's hope these players pan out or he won't be around long.

Agreed. One of my tactics when drafting in FF. Sure I will reach for guys but at the end of the day. You either have the stars you want or you dont. I want the stars and will make sure I get them.

broncofaninfla
06-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm surprsied with the timing. I was hoping Brandstater would come through this season, felt he had a lot of upside. Mcd sure sounded as though he would be given a chance to do so, guess he changed his mind. I wish him the best.

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Brandstater looked alot better than orton in preseason. Maybe this was the reason why. I dont think we would've done much worse than 8-8 had brandstater started last season.

And we all saw how that worked out with sims and him when KO went down.

I really can't believe you actually printed that comment

claymore
06-04-2010, 12:14 PM

Simms was who McD chose to be the backup. If he failed, it was because McD failed at getting him ready, or evaluating talent. Maybe both.

jrelway
06-04-2010, 12:20 PM

when orton went down, we saw what simms was. how did we see what brandstater was? he didnt play. believe that.

broncofaninfla
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Broncos release Tom Brandstater (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/04/broncos-release-tom-brandstater/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 4, 2010 12:17 PM ET
Early this offseason, there was a short-lived school of thought in Denver that 2009 sixth-round pick Tom Brandstater (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5283) had a shot to the Broncos' quarterback of the future.

That school closed after the team acquired Brady Quinn (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4149) and Tim Tebow (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5096), then was knocked down Friday when the Broncos released Brandstater (http://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/statuses/15425729992), according to multiple reports (http://twitter.com/VicLombardi/statuses/15425453144) in Denver.

It's still a surprising move. By dumping Brandstater now, Josh McDaniels announces that he has no hope the player can help him, even as a practice squad candidate.

T.K.O.
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
i would be willing to bet mcD knew there was no room for him anywhere but the PS so as he has shown in the past let the guy go while he could still catch on with another team(yes the pats).
it may not be the smartest move,but it is the right thing to do for the kid and i respect that.

Tempus Fugit
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM

This is an excellent point. With this move, Denver has now become the first NFL team in history to cut a player who was a former 6th round pick.

It's a traveshamockery!

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I said more than a month ago that Brandstater would be the odd man out and that I thought he wouldn't make it to camp. To try split snaps for three quarterbacks is hard enough trying to do it with four is probably near to impossble.

claymore
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
i would be willing to bet mcD knew there was no room for him anywhere but the PS so as he has shown in the past let the guy go while he could still catch on with another team(yes the pats).
it may not be the smartest move,but it is the right thing to do for the kid and i respect that.

I think they (pats) already have like 3-4 QB's. Unless they recentley released one.

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
McDaniels is a QB killer!

Admit it Clay you secretly desire to have McDaniels to butter your biscuits. :laugh: J/K

underrated29
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I think they (pats) already have like 3-4 QB's. Unless they recentley released one.

Actually, I think they might have claimed one from seattles roster a few days ago...I cant back that up, but am reasonably certain that I saw that somewhere.

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 12:36 PM

J how was McDaniels going get four quarterbacks a decent amount snaps in camp? I expected this move after Tebow was drafted.

T.K.O.
06-04-2010, 12:37 PM
i bet tom is pretty pissed about that haircut now !:laugh:

jhildebrand
06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
J how was McDaniels going get four quarterbacks a decent amount snaps in camp? I expected this move after Tebow was drafted.

Scout team. Nobody says he needed to get him reps. In fact, don't give him many and don't play him in the preseason if you don't have to. Practice Squad the guy.

claymore
06-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Admit it Clay you secretly desire to have McDaniels to butter your biscuits. :laugh: J/K

Id be happy if they put him on a rocket and launched him into outer space. :D

jhildebrand
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM

It still is a short sighted move with questionable timing.

Quite a few people last season were confident Chris Simms was more than capable. After the Boofest at the open practice at Invesco, many on the boards were calling for Simms to be the starter. We all saw how well that worked :lol:

Now some of the same people are equally as confident that Quinn and Tebow will be anything better than marginal despite the fact Quinn only looked ok in Cleveland and Tebow hasn't taken a snap.

Another reason I don't like this move is the writing is on the wall for Orton. He is as good as gone. The team tried shopping him. That leaves Quinn and Tebow. Should Tebow win the job, Quinn is most assuredly going to want to be somewhere that will give him the opportunity to start! Not to mention if somebody goes down, the team could be in a bind.

Should that happen, what does that leave us with behind Tebow? :confused: NOBODY! Oh wait, we can use yet another draft pick that could have been used elsewhere to fill one of the many holes this team has DESPITE the fact the team already used one.

Its just a little fast and loose with draft picks that gets to me. At some point these moves add up.

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm surprsied with the timing. I was hoping Brandstater would come through this season, felt he had a lot of upside. Mcd sure sounded as though he would be given a chance to do so, guess he changed his mind. I wish him the best.

I can't remember the last time a team carried four quarterbacks on it's roster. That's a spot that can be used on a different position were you need more depth.

Broncolingus
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I said more than a month ago that Brandstater would be the odd man out and that I thought he wouldn't make it to camp. To try split snaps for three quarterbacks is hard enough trying to do it with four is probably near to impossble.

Claymore's the odd man out here...

...why in the hell is he still around?

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Scout team. Nobody says he needed to get him reps. In fact, don't give him many and don't play him in the preseason if you don't have to. Practice Squad the guy.

Ah but last season we carried 3 quarterbacks on the active roster but the 3rd quarterback (Brandstater) was used the to run the practice squad.

MileHighCrew
06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Part of Tebow's role and growth will be playing the other teams QB in practice this year. If Brandstater was on the PS he would be looking to fill this role and by doing that limiting Tebow's growth.
It might not be fair but if this moves helps Tebow's growth I am all for it. I know as fans we get attached to players, but like Hillis, Brandstater was not going to add anything to the team this year and we are better off letting him go then holding onto to him even on the PS and stunting Tebow's growth.

broncophan
06-04-2010, 01:49 PM
I think we should have tried to trade him instead of releasing him......hell.....we could have at least got a 18th round pick for him.

Bosco
06-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Pretty much. Tom B was a decent developmental talent where he was picked, but getting better talent in Quinn and Tebow made him expendable, especially since he was never going to be anything other than our very own Matt Cassel at best.

It's also worth nothing that age is likely a factor in this. Brandstater is only a couple days younger than Brady Quinn.

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Part of Tebow's role and growth will be playing the other teams QB in practice this year. If Brandstater was on the PS he would be looking to fill this role and by doing that limiting Tebow's growth.
It might not be fair but if this moves helps Tebow's growth I am all for it. I know as fans we get attached to players, but like Hillis, Brandstater was not going to add anything to the team this year and we are better off letting him go then holding onto to him even on the PS and stunting Tebow's growth.

Maybe, but at this time with some of things that McDaniels has said Tebow may not be 3rd on the depth chart by the end of camp. Running the scout team has value but getting to practice in the offense that he will eventualy run I think would be even more valuable.

Bosco
06-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Simms was who McD chose to be the backup. If he failed, it was because McD failed at getting him ready, or evaluating talent. Maybe both.

I honestly think Simms failures were psychological. The guy nearly died on the field back in 2006 and when he finally got back into game action again he just seemed to go into turtle mode.

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I honestly think Simms failures were psychological. The guy nearly died on the field back in 2006 and when he finally got back into game action again he just seemed to go into turtle mode.

I think that he would have never been in the NFL had his daddy not been an NFL QB.

not even sure he would have been a QB in a D-1 school. He has never impressed me, even though my bud mikey thought he was a great QB.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h:

claymore
06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I think that he would have never been in the NFL had his daddy not been an NFL QB.

not even sure he would have been a QB in a D-1 school. He has never impressed me, even though my bud mikey thought he was a great QB.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h:

McD is the one that brought him in. So please expound on your theory.

Bosco
06-04-2010, 02:22 PM

I gotta disagree there. Simms had some major turnover problems at Texas, but during his time in Tampa he was starting to develop into a decent quarterback.

underrated29
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
How dare you guys talk about GoldenRod that way.

Zweems56
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Alas, the era of Brandstarter has ended.

MasterShake
06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Brandstater released? What did Josh McDaniels drive him to the country, open the door, throw a stick and say, "GO GET IT BOY!" and then drive off?

rationalfan
06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
i like going on topical threads just announce that i predicted this would happen, whether i have proof of that or not.

could be worse, though. at least this isn't full of people talking about how brandstater will be a future pro bowl player.

Lonestar
06-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I gotta disagree there. Simms had some major turnover problems at Texas, but during his time in Tampa he was starting to develop into a decent quarterback.
I watched a lot of UT ball as that seems to be all the telly here where i live. I was never impressed with him.

As for TB might have been improving I rarely saw him there. but still feel had he been Joe Blows kid he would have not been a starter at a D1 biggie school like UT.

Spiritguy
06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
here's a few words on the subject from the coach

Two players not on the field were Kyle Orton — one of the veterans who worked out separately — and Tom Brandstater, who Head Coach Josh McDaniels said the team has released.

“The reps have been dwindling, and to try to continue to keep a guy in a loop where he can be a competitive player on your team with very few reps, it’s hard to do,” McDaniels said. “I didn’t say (Brandstater) wasn’t a fit, we’ve just got three guys who are a better fit than he is.”

“Tom is going to go somewhere else and have an opportunity to make a career for himself,” he continued. “Certainly nothing that he did was negative or bad, it just wasn’t quite as good as the other guys. That’s the NFL.”

Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow split the repetitions during Friday’s practice.

link (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/arrington-harris-and-thomas-on-the-field/)

Denver Native (Carol)
06-04-2010, 04:50 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15227673

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels brought partial clarity to the quarterback situation Friday by releasing Tom Brandstater.

Thus, it's official: Tim Tebow has been promoted to No. 3 quarterback. Even with veterans Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn, and the rookie Tebow in the Broncos' quarterback stable, Brandstater's release was surprising because as a second-year player who showed promise in the preseason last year, he was practice-squad eligible.

After Friday's practice, McDaniels said it had become clear that the team needed to release Brandstater now to enable Orton, Quinn and Tebow to get more work in practice. Even in a passing camp, with four quarterbacks there were not enough repetitions to go around.

"With the way practice was going and the repetitions, we felt like it was clear now and was time for us to make the decision to not try and get everybody reps," McDaniels said.

"I thought this day would come at some point where we'd eventually end up going down to three, but we have seven practices, six now, to try to really work with the three that are left on the roster and give them the attention that they've earned."

Brandstater will be placed on waivers, which means any interested teams can try to claim him. If he is not claimed, he will be a free agent.

"I'm learning as you go you can't worry about things you can't control," said Brandstater, a sixth-round pick out of Fresno State last year. "I've enjoyed my time in Denver. The people were great, the fans were great, they've got a good team coming up. I will still be rooting for them, hopefully (while I'm) with another team."

In Friday's two-hour practice, the battle was down to two quarterbacks. Only Quinn and Tebow participated after Orton was among a group of nearly 30 veteran players given the session off.

Without Orton and Brandstater, Quinn and Tebow each got significant time in the huddle, and both were able to take repetitions in 7-on-7 and full team drills.

"You're going to get more reps, just being fewer guys. That's just part of the game I guess," Tebow said.

Also, Coach McD talks about releasing Brandstater and today's practice under video & audio

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

tomjonesrocks
06-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Would have rather it been Orton cut.

BroncoWave
06-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Would have rather it been Orton cut.

That's a great idea, cut our starting QB and the guy who will probably give us the best chance to win at least early in the season. Glad you're not the HC! :lol:

tomjonesrocks
06-04-2010, 06:00 PM
That's a great idea, cut our starting QB and the guy who will probably give us the best chance to win at least early in the season. Glad you're not the HC! :lol:

Am with those of the opinion that now that Marshall is gone, this team has no chance of winning with Orton at the helm.

Might as well just commit to the future now and get whatever we can for Orton now (which likely is zero).

Day1BroncoFan
06-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Guess I need a new adopted Bronco. :D

TXBRONC
06-04-2010, 11:24 PM

You should have seen this one coming a mile away. :D

BroncoWave
06-04-2010, 11:53 PM

We just signed a new backup fullback!

Shazam!
06-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I dont think Ive ever seen so many people pissed about a 6th rounder 3rd string QB being released.

I think Denver is clearly better at QB now than they were last year with Simms gone alone.

sneakers
06-05-2010, 01:13 AM
He banked like half a million dollars while he was a memeber of the broncos and he got to play in the NFL (preseason)....So I can't feel too bad for him.

FanInAZ
06-05-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm guessing it's a move for Brandstater's benefit. The broncos didn't see him in their long term plans and released him now so he can have a chance with another team before camp starts.

Most times these late round quarterback picks don't work out, so I'm not surprised, though I do wonder why we traded extra picks to get him last year.

As soon as Tebow was drafted I started wondering when would be the best time for him to get cut. On one hand, letting him stay around long enough to play a couple of pre-season game might have given him a chance to show some potential to perspective team. He probably would not have been signed soon enough to make someone starting day roster, but someone might give him a chance once the QB injuries start to pile up during the season. Cutting him now means that he will not have had a chance to show anyone any potential by the time teams are desperately scrambling for back up QBs one the starting QBs go down.

Its unfortunate, but I believe my adoptive Bronco's football career is going to end with out ever being given a chance to develop.

TXBRONC
06-05-2010, 07:00 AM
As soon as Tebow was drafted I started wondering when would be the best time for him to get cut. On one hand, letting him stay around long enough to play a couple of pre-season game might have given him a chance to show some potential to perspective team. He probably would not have been signed soon enough to make someone starting day roster, but someone might give him a chance once the QB injuries start to pile up during the season. Cutting him now means that he will not have had a chance to show anyone any potential by the time teams are desperately scrambling for back up QBs one the starting QBs go down.

Its unfortunate, but I believe my adoptive Bronco's football career is going to end with out ever being given a chance to develop.

Like you I figured he would get cut and I also figured it would be right about now. It's going be tough enough to get adequate repetitions for three quarterbacks in camp four would be near to impossible. Imho what McDaniels was doing was insuring that Tebow gets an adequate number of snaps during training camp and he didn't want Brandstater being paid for just standing around.

TXBRONC
06-05-2010, 08:10 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15227673

After Friday's practice, McDaniels said it had become clear that the team needed to release Brandstater now to enable Orton, Quinn and Tebow to get more work in practice. Even in a passing camp, with four quarterbacks there were not enough repetitions to go around.

"With the way practice was going and the repetitions, we felt like it was clear now and was time for us to make the decision to not try and get everybody reps," McDaniels said.

"I thought this day would come at some point where we'd eventually end up going down to three, but we have seven practices, six now, to try to really work with the three that are left on the roster and give them the attention that they've earned."

This makes it clear why it was done and as I thought he had to do with repetitions and the fact that they would eventually only carry three quarterbacks anyway.

Overtime
06-05-2010, 12:09 PM
McDaniels is an idiot. can't wait for this ass clown to get fired. Now we'll see Brandstater go somewhere else and show what he can do.

Ravage!!!
06-05-2010, 12:14 PM
See what he can do?

He was a 6th round pick. Sixth round pick, QBs RARELY make the roster at all, and if they do its only to be a back-up. If they don't show they have somethign special right away, then that team will draft another QB to see if they hit gold. Brandstater doesn't have what it takes. Its as simple as that.

I don't know why it is, that the Bronco fan base falls for guys like BVP and Brandstater?

BroncoWave
06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
McDaniels is an idiot. can't wait for this ass clown to get fired. Now we'll see Brandstater go somewhere else and show what he can do.

:lol: ok. Do us all a favor and follow Brandstater wherever he goes.

BroncoWave
06-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't know why it is, that the Bronco fan base falls for guys like BVP and Brandstater?

I don't think our fanbase on the whole has fallen for guys like this. It's more of a small but very vocal minority.

Tempus Fugit
06-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Kindly list all the teams that carried 4 quarterbacks on their 53 man roster last season.

Ravage!!!
06-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't think our fanbase on the whole has fallen for guys like this. It's more of a small but very vocal minority.

True.. just seems we saw a LOT of people crying for BVP when he was here as if he was some giant talent. Now, for some reason, we see fans jump on yet another 6th round back-up/practice squad QB. I just dont get it.

The Glue Factory
06-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Because he did great against other third/fourth string folks in the preseason he's going to have an illustrious, HOF career. Come on Ravage! That is just soooooo obvious that even my three yr old daughter can't wait to buy her TB jersey. Now if she only knew what a football looked like. :rolleyes:

pnbronco
06-05-2010, 12:55 PM

There were only 3 QB's in camp last year so for me it was more of when instead of if after they drafted Tebow. My first thought was there goes Tom. Then I read how this meant that Orton would be traded and so forth.

I like Tom a lot, he is a super nice guy. I understand what you are saying AZ about him not getting looks during the preseason games and if he doesn't get picked up that would be tough. However if he is on other teams radar would it not be better for him to get picked up early and start learning a new system now and have a chance in another teams camp? He can still be a Red Shirt so that would seem to work in his favor. I wish Tom only the best and thank him for always being classy and kind.

TXBRONC
06-05-2010, 03:37 PM

:lol: Yeah I'm sure we will.

BroncoBJ
06-05-2010, 04:56 PM
See what he can do?

He was a 6th round pick. Sixth round pick, QBs RARELY make the roster at all, and if they do its only to be a back-up. If they don't show they have somethign special right away, then that team will draft another QB to see if they hit gold. Brandstater doesn't have what it takes. Its as simple as that.

People just want to see those guys succeed and be a story. I liked BVP as well as Brandstater. Although I didn't have high hopes for any of them really. Everyone thinks cause Brady turned out to be a great QB that every QB drafted late will be great. :lol:

I've never seen so many people complain about a 6th round QB getting cut. And some people were mad about getting Quinn and Tebow because they were sad Brandstater would get cut. I feel sorry for you if you really expected him to make the roster.

Just imagine if we cut Tebow though :lol: This place would really explode.

Now we can get things started with the 3 that we have. I wish Brandstater the best though. He was a class act. :salute:

Lonestar
06-05-2010, 05:04 PM
There were only 3 QB's in camp last year so for me it was more of when instead of if after they drafted Tebow. My first thought was there goes Tom. Then I read how this meant that Orton would be traded and so forth.

I like Tom a lot, he is a super nice guy. I understand what you are saying AZ about him not getting looks during the preseason games and if he doesn't get picked up that would be tough. However if he is on other teams radar would it not be better for him to get picked up early and start learning a new system now and have a chance in another teams camp? He can still be a Red Shirt so that would seem to work in his favor. I wish Tom only the best and thank him for always being classy and kind.

worst case is they can resign him for PS if no one else picks him up.

I think Josh likes him also and would not bet against this .

FanInAZ
06-05-2010, 05:39 PM
However if he is on other teams radar would it not be better for him to get picked up early and start learning a new system now and have a chance in another teams camp? He can still be a Red Shirt so that would seem to work in his favor.

I said in my post, "On one hand..." and then I gave reason for why it might have been good for him if the Broncos let him stay around long enough to play a couple pre-season games. However, I forgot to say what was "on the other hand," Which is pretty much what you wrote.

:2thumbs: Thanks for covering for me :2thumbs:

The question is, was my little snafu the result of...

a) Me making posts in the middle of the night my time
b) Old age
c) Both

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 06:02 PM

2. He was costing us very little against the cap-why not jarvis moss?
3- So now we do not have a QB for the PS- BEcause there is no way quinn or tebow will ever make it through waivers to end up on our PS

4.- Besides Orton he is the only one with knowledge of our system/experience.

Now frankly I really dont give a dam about Tommy B. and wish him luck in the future. But this move seems premature to me. And maybe his QB skills just sucked soo bad that anyother new QB might be better. I do not know. Still do not like the move.

By looking at the tweets, he was throwing just as many balls to the defense as he was to the offense. Might be Part of the reason.

Maybe KC will pick him up. He'll be halfways familiar with the system, and helpful when they play denver.

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 06:13 PM

So you wanted McD to keep 4 QB's? What other position, then, did you believe the teams was endowed well enough in to skimp on backups?

pnbronco
06-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I said in my post, "On one hand..." and then I gave reason for why it might have been good for him if the Broncos let him stay around long enough to play a couple pre-season games. However, I forgot to say what was "on the other hand," Which is pretty much what you wrote.

:2thumbs: Thanks for covering for me :2thumbs:

The question is, was my little snafu the result of...

a) Me making posts in the middle of the night my time
b) Old age
c) Both

Well I'm finding for myself it's C just tooo many times.....:geezer:

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 06:24 PM

He still counts against the total number of players, which last I saw, hadn't increased.

You keep 4 qb's, you decrease the number in another position.

Which one will likely see the field first.....a #4 QB or a 2/3/4 of another?

McD did the right thing. Allow a young QB the chance to catch on with another team early, rather than late or possibly never.
This will only help bring other FA's to the team down the road, imo.

rcsodak
06-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Just another reason he should be following his daddy's footsteps.....

...retirement.

TXBRONC
06-05-2010, 06:29 PM

There have been a few who have mentioned Brandstater moving to practice squad but I don't see that happening. As you mentioned we carried three quarterbacks on the active roster last season. While Brandstater was on the active roster he still served as the practice squad quaterback. If Tebow remains the number three quarterback I could McDaniels having him do the same thing. If Tebow is the starter at some point during the season I don't think McDaniels would think twice about having Orton or Quinn run the scout team which everone is the 3rd quarterback. So if Brandstater was brought back to the practice sqaud that would mean one of our quarterbacks will end up just standing doing nothing.

TXBRONC
06-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Claymore's the odd man out here...

...why in the hell is he still around?

I think everyone takes their turn at being the odd man out. :lol:

Broncolingus
06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
I think everyone takes their turn at being the odd man out. :lol:

(blah, blah, blah to fill the space)

tomjonesrocks
06-06-2010, 11:09 AM
thinks cause Brady turned out to be a great QB that every QB drafted late will be great. :lol:

God this is so true. A QB drafted in any round can turn out to be a superstar!

It's also something announcers need to mention during every Pats game. Like there's someone put there left that isn't aware Brady was a late round pick. Only the Warner as grocery bagger story was more tired. It's was a fun game betting on which quarter announcers would mention Warner was a grocery clerk at one time.

Lonestar
06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Someone said that Josh was careless with draft choices. Perhaps last year that was indeed true.

When they had to re-evaluate every scouted player to change the values from mikes priorities to what they thought Josh was looking for.

Not only that but did so with new position coaches trying to do the same thing while not realy knowing for sure EXACTLY what he wanted also while doing that grading.

Add in rookie jitters for GM and HC.

Now those were vali reasons IMO.

But to call TB a bad choice or insinuat that Josh was playing loose with picks last year based on cutting a 6th round pick is well not right.

As for this year they seemed to have been on top of their game, if not great moving around to aquire extra picks when the guy they wanted was not there INSTEAD of reaching for another desired player, doing it once was fine but making moves the number of times they did all the while getting the players they thought could be franchise guys IMHO was spectactular.

The ONLY choice/decision I question is the last one trading a IIRC a 5th next year for the last two guys in the 7th.

It almost seems to me either one or both may have been avaialabe as UDFA at that point.

Time will tell, but seeing him moving around the draft board like a pin ball put a lot of enjoyment in what have been normally beyound boring days after our first choice which for the most part was always WTF is he and why are we reaching for him as w could have gotten him much later DAFTS mikey gave us for MOST of his time here.

Now it is I wonder how many moves Josh will make and just who does he really want? Where will we get it?

pnbronco
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I heard on "The Fan" yesterday that Tom was acquired from waivers by the Colts.

tomjonesrocks
06-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I heard on "The Fan" yesterday that Tom was acquired from waivers by the Colts.

Yep. Schefter said the same. Don't like it--that team is a lot better at evaluating talent than the Broncos. OTOH, Manning never gets hurt so it's a life sentence to hold a clipboard--he'll get little chance to make McDaniels look bad for releasing him.

silkamilkamonico
06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Yep. Schefter said the same. Don't like it--that team is a lot better at evaluating talent than the Broncos. OTOH, Manning never gets hurt so it's a life sentence to hold a clipboard--he'll get little chance to make McDaniels look bad for releasing him.

Brock Huard, Jim Sorgi, and Curtis Painter disagree with you adamantly.