PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Metal Guitarist of alltime

Northman
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
I dont necessarily agree with this list in terms of rankings so ill post my top 10 after this list as you will see. But there are some great ones on here. Here is the original list.

01. Jimi Hendrix
02. Eddie Van Halen
03. Yngwie J. Malmsteen
04. Randy Rhoads
05. Ritchie Blackmore
06. Jimmy Page
07. Tony Iommi
08. Steve Vai
09. Jeff Beck
10. Michael Schenker
11. David Gilmour
12. Dimebag Darrell
13. Allan Holdsworth
14. Uli Jon Roth
15. Angus Young
16. James Hetfield
17. Brian May
18. Marty Friedman
19. Joe Satriani
20. Jason Becker
21. Gary Moore
22. Paul Gilbert
23. Eric Clapton
24. Al Di Meola
25. Zakk Wylde
26. John McLaughlin
27. John Petrucci
28. Adrian Smith
29. Steve Morse
30. Stevie Ray Vaughan
31. Slash
32. Kirk Hammett
33. Robert Fripp
34. Alex Lifeson
35. Chuck Schuldiner
36. Ace Frehley
37. George Lynch
38. Dave Murray
39. Glenn Tipton
40. Neal Schon
41. Eric Johnson
42. Trey Azagthoth
43. K.K. Downing
44. Andy LaRocque
45. Malcolm Young
46. Django Reinhardt
47. Jeff Loomis
48. Steve Lukather
49. John Sykes
50. Denis "Piggy" D'Amour

This is at least my top 10:

1. Dimebag Darrell
2. Zakk Wylde
3. Yngwie J. Malmsteen
4. John Petrucci
5. George Lynch
6. James Murphy
7. Chuck Schuldiner
8. Jeff Beck
9. Eric Johnson
10. Paul Gilbert

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=97298

SR
05-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I strongly disagree with your list.

Skinny
05-28-2008, 08:17 AM
No Esteban?? :laugh:

Jerry Cantrell and Jake E. Lee should be on there somewhere should'nt they!?

Northman
05-28-2008, 08:58 AM
I strongly disagree with your list.

:coffee::D

CoachChaz
05-28-2008, 09:33 AM
The difference in genres makes a list like that nearly impossible to get accurate.

MOtorboat
05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Is this the Guitar World list?
The Rolling Stone list?

It doesn't look like either...

Either way, I love discussing this stuff, but it is extremely arbitrary, of course.

Northman
05-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Im not sure where it originated from. Someone sent it too me in my pm over at the Mane. Thought it would be good to discuss.

MOtorboat
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Im not sure where it originated from. Someone sent it too me in my pm over at the Mane. Thought it would be good to discuss.

Yeah,

I think its a good list. Very refreshing to see one of these lists that doesn't include Kurt Cobain. Both Guitar World and Rolling Stone had him way too high.

He was a songwriter and the manner in which he delivered those songs is what was revolutionary, not his guitar playing.

Anywho...

My only real beef is not seeing Kim Thayil on that list. I think he rocks(ed)

MOtorboat
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Whoops...saw something I disagree with...Hetfield 20 spots above Hammett?

Northman
05-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah,

I think its a good list. Very refreshing to see one of these lists that doesn't include Kurt Cobain. Both Guitar World and Rolling Stone had him way too high.

He was a songwriter and the manner in which he delivered those songs is what was revolutionary, not his guitar playing.

Anywho...

My only real beef is not seeing Kim Thayil on that list. I think he rocks(ed)

Agreed. Same with James Murphy who i added to mine. I was also thinking about the guy from Loudness the japaneze rock band. He is badass also. Hetfield is just way too high in my opinion. There are a lot of great guitarist ranked to low especially compared to him. :eek:

MOtorboat
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Agreed. Same with James Murphy who i added to mine. I was also thinking about the guy from Loudness the japaneze rock band. He is badass also. Hetfield is just way too high in my opinion. There are a lot of great guitarist ranked to low especially compared to him. :eek:

I just don't know how your rank the rhythm guitar player from a band higher than the soloist...

Personal opinion, of course, and Hetfield may be the best rhythm player of all time, but seriously, he can't be ranked above Hammett on a skills-based list (although, I guess we don't know that's how this was ranked)

I don't think this is Guitar World's Top 100. I'm looking for it as we speak.

Northman
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I just don't know how your rank the rhythm guitar player from a band higher than the soloist...

Personal opinion, of course, and Hetfield may be the best rhythm player of all time, but seriously, he can't be ranked above Hammett on a skills-based list (although, I guess we don't know that's how this was ranked)

I don't think this is Guitar World's Top 100. I'm looking for it as we speak.

Yea, i totally agree. He isnt even better than a lot of the guys even though he has improved to some degree as a guitarist. But, his 16th ranking is outrageous.

Hawgdriver
07-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Was doing a search to see if Django Reinhardt had been mentioned on the board. Top 50 metal guitarist of all time?

You decide.

Hq0tPjdfHME

atwater27
07-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Where's Prince?

MOtorboat
07-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Where's Prince?

Not sure if serious.

atwater27
07-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I know he isn't metal, but neither are Clapton, stevie ray , Gilmour an others on that list. Are you serious, you don't know how good Prince is?

MOtorboat
07-28-2013, 11:18 AM
I know he isn't metal, but neither are Clapton, stevie ray , Gilmour an others on that list. Are you serious, you don't know how good Prince is?

No, I do, I just don't know how he fits into metal. I'd agree about Vaughn who played strictly blues, but Cream and Floyd were kind of the forerunners of what became metal.

atwater27
07-28-2013, 11:30 AM
No I wouldn't have included Prince in a metal list obviously, but that list is hardly metal exclusive.

pulse
12-16-2013, 07:55 PM
No, I do, I just don't know how he fits into metal. I'd agree about Vaughn who played strictly blues, but Cream and Floyd were kind of the forerunners of what became metal.

That's why those two are on that list. No, they're not strictly metal guitarists per say. However, Clapton's work in the power trio of Cream laid the foundation of many a metal riff to come. And David Gilmour, though perhaps known more for his melodic and emotional guitar solos in Pink Floyd's later works, was very experimental with his heavy guitar sound on those early Pink Floyd albums. His heavier compositions on those early albums and during their live shows was very influential on many metal guitarists.