PDA

View Full Version : Deserving Honor for Williams

Denver Native (Carol)
06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/deserving-honor-for-williams/

It is most deserving that former Denver Broncos defensive end Alfred Williams has been selected for the 2010 class of the College Football Hall of Fame.

Alfred was one of those players who always played hard, always led others by his example, and truly loves his team and school.

He came to the University of Colorado from Houston, Texas, and had a great career with the Buffs. Alfred Williams is a member of that small class of players who can claim to have won a national championship (at CU, when the Buffs had that classic title game win over Notre Dame) and a Super Bowl title as well—and in Alfred’s case, it is even more unique in that he was a starter on back-to-back world championship teams, which very few players have even done.

He played at the University of Colorado from 1987-90 before being drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, where he began his pro career before returning to Colorado as a member of the Broncos.

No matter how great the player is, it is still a team game. And no matter how great the team is, the individual player still has to be good enough to make the team, earn a starting job and then keep that job while playing at the highest championship level.

So to be a college All-American defensive end, play on a national championship team, be a high draft choice in the NFL, and then start for consecutive world championship teams, you know you are talking about a first rate player.

That’s Alfred, and to top it off, he has continued to make Denver his home and shows real continuing passion for both the CU Buffs and the Denver Broncos. We are always proud of our alums, but it is truly special when the ex-player maintains his emotional ties with his teams as time goes by.

Alfred Williams has done that, and he will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame at a December banquet in New York, with official enshrinement to come in the summer of 2011.

Congrats to a great Buff whom the Broncos were happy to adopt as one of our own as well.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Congratulations to Alfred:salute: - one of my favorite Broncos, as well as having the greatest laugh ever

broncofaninfla
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Loved the guy!! Congrats!!!

GEM
06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I love Alfred! He's fun to listen to on The Fan. And Carol's right, he has an awesome laugh!

Broncolingus
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah, baby!!!

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/81354338.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5484F633AAFDE8076C8 61DD1F0EB4721B7E178B8E958B23E62A

Congrats, Alfred! :salute:

jrelway
06-03-2010, 09:08 PM
him and rod smith were the only ones to put their hot dogs down and give me an autograph after the beatdown of the raiders on monday night back in 97.

BroncoJoe
06-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I love Al. LOVE <3

gobroncsnv
06-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Congratulations to Alfred:salute: - one of my favorite Broncos, as well as having the greatest laugh ever

Mine too! I really liked watching him and Neil Smith get after it... They really played well off of each other.

Shanny had some great FA acquisitions to put that team together.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-03-2010, 10:31 PM
One day Alfred was on FM104.3TheFan, I think still with Scott Hastings, and Alfred was talking about the Broncos winning their first superbowl, and he said when Pat said "this one's for John", he was thinking, "what the hell do you mean, this one's for John, this one's for Alfred" and then he laughed.

GGMoogly
06-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Alfred will always be one of my all-time favorite Broncos. Not only was he a stud player, but he had such a great sense of humor and even during his playing days, he was a REAL FAN! I don't get that from a lot of players today, but Alfred was always genuine about it. Congrats to a fellow CU alum!