PDA

View Full Version : What is the strength of this Denver Broncos team?

broncofaninfla
06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
What is the strength of this Denver Broncos team and why?

claymore
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Long snapper. Because it better be!

MileHighCrew
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
BTD at this point

jhildebrand
06-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Ty Law because he can shut down Manning....oh wait!

Mitch Berger because he will be an upgrade over Brett Kern....Oh Wait!

Brandon Marshall because he can take pressure off the other WR's and TE's...oh wait!

Seriously, I don't think this team is terribly strong in any one phase of the game. Too many questions about the QB position to list offense.

A 6th coordinator in 6 years or whatever it is on the D side of the ball. 9 of 11starters on D over 30 years old. Dumervil not being taken care of.

ST's haven't been very good at all.

This team has a ways to go.

claymore
06-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Ty Law because he can shut down Manning....oh wait!

Mitch Berger because he will be an upgrade over Brett Kern....Oh Wait!

Brandon Marshall because he can take pressure off the other WR's and TE's...oh wait!

Seriously, I don't think this team is terribly strong in any one phase of the game. Too many questions about the QB position to list offense.

A 6th coordinator in 6 years or whatever it is on the D side of the ball. 9 of 11starters on D over 30 years old. Dumervil not being taken care of.

ST's haven't been very good at all.

This team has a ways to go.Red zone. We are really strong in the redzone (at field goals).

jrelway
06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
lets just hope SD, KC, and OAK suck this year.

SOCALORADO.
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
strength

Pronunciation: \ˈstreŋ(k)th, ˈstren(t)th\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural strengths \ˈstreŋ(k)ths, ˈstren(t)ths, ˈstreŋks\
Etymology: Middle English strengthe, from Old English strengthu; akin to Old High German strengi strong — more at strong
Date: before 12th century
1 : the quality or state of being strong : capacity for exertion or endurance
2 : power to resist force : solidity, toughness
3 : power of resisting attack : impregnability
4 : TIM TEBOW
5 a : legal, logical, or moral force b : a strong attribute or inherent asset <the strengths and the weaknesses of the book are evident>
6 a : degree of potency of effect or of concentration <chili peppers in varying strengths> b : intensity of light, color, sound, or odor c : vigor of expression
7 : force as measured in numbers : effective numbers of any body or organization <an army at full strength>
8 : one regarded as embodying or affording force or firmness : support <you are my love and my strength>
9 : maintenance of or a rising tendency in a price level : firmness of prices <the strength of the dollar>
10 : basis —used in the phrase on the strength of

synonyms see power; Tim Tebow

Just sayin..

T.K.O.
06-03-2010, 11:01 AM
what no "all of the above"?
were gonna shred the west this year !!!!:elefant::beer::D

BrocoGator11
06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Tim Tebow is the obvious choice to this question. He has the right skills and mindset to make the Broncos have a successful offence this year. Quinn and Orton have had their chance, and with the sacrifices McDaniels has made with this year's draft, the obvious choice for starting QB is Tebow. The pressure on his shoulers with help propel Tebow through the season as he proves all the haters wrong. This article by Ron Borges explains how Tebow is the right man for the job.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/06/03/tebow-a-rookie-worth-rooting-for

TXBRONC
06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Honestly I'm really sure. I guess on paper it would be the defense.

Ravage!!!
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm with you. I honestly don't see any part of the game that is a strength, right now. If we base things on last year's performances, it has to be the defense. Considering the loss of offensive talent in our offseason, I think that leads to the defense. Hard to imagine that our team, is stronger on defense. Thats scary.

TXBRONC
06-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm with you. I honestly don't see any part of the game that is a strength, right now. If we base things on last year's performances, it has to be the defense. Considering the loss of offensive talent in our offseason, I think that leads to the defense. Hard to imagine that our team, is stronger on defense. Thats scary.

Part of my thinking about the defense is the personnel we brought in. We did get bigger and if JWall can stay healthy we should be a lot stouter up the middle.

GEM
06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
The sky is falling.

Turn out the lights, the party's over!

Shouldn't even play this season.

Mail it in boys, this is over before it even begins!

Ravage!!!
06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Part of my thinking about the defense is the personnel we brought in. We did get bigger and if JWall can stay healthy we should be a lot stouter up the middle.

Agreed. The upgrades were on defense because they were veterans brought in, and not drafted (funny how some don't want to mention how another year went by with no DL drafted. I promise it would be brought up if it was a former coach).

Right now, just a ton of questions on the offense and not as many on the defense.. imo.

TXBRONC
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
The sky is falling.

I don't think that's what anyone getting at.

Can you say any since of certainty what phase of the game that the Broncos have no question marks?

claymore
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
The sky is falling.

I promise I wont post about the Broncos until McDaniels is fired if you can get Tned to make it opt in.

Timmy!
06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Everything. 19-0. :D

*cough*

Slick
06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
The sky is falling.

I'm not quite there, but it's tough to have a lot of confidence at the moment. I'm excited to see who steps up, and who got better. Isn't that at least thinking positive? :D

GEM
06-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm not quite there, but it's tough to have a lot of confidence at the moment. I'm excited to see who steps up, and who got better. Isn't that at least thinking positive? :D

I was being facetious. :D

I'm not throwing in the towel. I think we will see improvement this year. I'm not a pessimistic person to begin with as I have learned....you can sit and wallow in bullshit or you can smile and say it's gotta get better.

GEM
06-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I promise I wont post about the Broncos until McDaniels is fired if you can get Tned to make it opt in.

T might go for that....he gets sick of the Broncos Talk stuff himself. :lol:

TXBRONC
06-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I was being facetious. :D

I'm not throwing in the towel. I think we will see improvement this year. I'm not a pessimistic person to begin with as I have learned....you can sit and wallow in bullshit or you can smile and say it's gotta get better.

I'm not saying we'll fail but again what side of the ball do you think is the strength of the team? As I mentioned right now with moves that were made on defensive line that seems to be the strength. If Jamal can hold up at nose tackle then I think we should be better.

Lonestar
06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Tim Tebow is the obvious choice to this question. He has the right skills and mindset to make the Broncos have a successful offence this year. Quinn and Orton have had their chance, and with the sacrifices McDaniels has made with this year's draft, the obvious choice for starting QB is Tebow. The pressure on his shoulers with help propel Tebow through the season as he proves all the haters wrong. This article by Ron Borges explains how Tebow is the right man for the job.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/06/03/tebow-a-rookie-worth-rooting-for

Posted June 03, 2010 @ 9:53 a.m. ET
By Ron Borges
Tim Tebow is a devout Christian who has been asked to turn the other cheek so many times since the drafting process began he should have whiplash.

Scouts, personnel men, coaches and one drunken owner (Jerry Jones) all suggested in various ways that his throwing motion and poor footwork will doom him to failure in the NFL despite having been a Heisman Trophy winner who twice led Florida to national championships while becoming a cult hero for his toughness on the field and gentle soul off it.

At age 22, Tebow has become a lightning rod, as well, because he is unafraid to talk about his religious beliefs. This makes a lot of people nervous. Why? Only they know, but it's true.

If Tebow were some rye whiskey-drinking philanderer, he'd be a cultural icon. Instead, he wears his faith on his eye black and appears to have nothing to hide. For this he makes people nervous? As the father of a 20-year-old daughter, I'd be more nervous around Ben Roethlisberger.

Scouts with doubts may be right about Tebow's NFL potential, though. He wouldn't be the first college star who couldn't make the transition to pro football, because pro football is about exceedingly small margins for error. To survive as a quarterback you can't carry the ball by your hip and have a windup longer than Juan Marichal's — two problems Tebow has been working diligently to correct. Whether he can do it is an open question, but if you believe in feel-good stories, you should hope he does.

No one knows if he can adjust his way of throwing. It's unlikely that he will, because under duress most athletes revert to what they know best.

Yet Mike Shanahan, who knows a thing or two about quarterbacking, said he wouldn't bet against Tebow. Not because Tebow's the best prospect Shanahan has ever seen. He isn't. He's about as flawed a thrower as you may come across, carrying the ball by his hip, using his arm — not his legs — to deliver a pass and taking so long to get the ball to the launch position that defenders will devour him if he can't change.

So what? This is a guy who showed up in Denver, after Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels had risked his future by trading three draft picks to acquire him late in the first round, with a full suitcase. He was ready for work. When he learned that was against NFL rules, he said he'd start as soon as they'd let him. No holdouts. Just workouts. Who'd knock that idea?

"I think you're going to have critics your whole life," Tebow said. "I think I've had them my whole life since I was a freshman in high school and they said that I couldn't be a quarterback in high school.

"To be honest, through the course of my career, my critics and the people who have told me 'I can't' have been one of my greatest motivating factors."

No rants. No whining about being "disrespected." No chest beating. No third-person references. Just a guy with faith in two things — God and himself — saying, "We'll see."

This day and age, that's someone to root for.

Ron Borges is a columnist for the Boston Herald.

Lonestar
06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
The sky is falling.

Nailed this one Gem.:salute:

So many arm chair GMs and HC that know more than the pros, well sucks to be them.:tsk:

Slick
06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Everyone here is an armchair GM or coach JR. Otherwise we wouldn't post, we'd just watch the games and bang our heads against the wall afterwards.

Lonestar
06-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Everyone here is an armchair GM or coach JR. Otherwise we wouldn't post, we'd just watch the games and bang our heads against the wall afterwards.

while you are correct the absolutes some have on Josh are astounding.

GO screw some more tourists.:salute:

GEM
06-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't think that's what anyone getting at.

Can you say any since of certainty what phase of the game that the Broncos have no question marks?

I can't really say that about ANY NFL team. :shrugs:

GEM
06-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I think we are stronger on the defensive side of the ball.

I think we're building on the offensive side to be able to run the offense McD wants to run. I think as long as we have Orton, we have a hindrance on the O.

Slick
06-03-2010, 12:10 PM
while you are correct the absolutes some have on Josh are astounding.

GO screw some more tourists.:salute:

yes, but we have to remember that there are other posters that think we are just as nuts for taking a wait and see approach instead of raking the current administration over the coals.

Northman
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Even that would be a stretch considering the coach who even did anything worth a damn last year is gone now. :lol:

claymore
06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Our season rests on 3 players shoulders. Orton, Gaffney, and Jamal Williams. Thats why I think the ST's is our strong point.

Slick
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Our season rests on 3 players shoulders. Orton, Gaffney, and Jamal Williams. Thats why I think the ST's is our strong point.

Linebackers not named Dumervil need to contribute. We're going to need takeaways this year to be successful on defense. Maybe Ayers will show something this year, or someone in the secondary.

broncobryce
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
The secondary is the strength without question. 2 hall of famers.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

claymore
06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Linebackers not named Dumervil need to contribute. We're going to need takeaways this year to be successful on defense. Maybe Ayers will show something this year, or someone in the secondary.

As important as all that is, we still have to convert 3rd downs. And I dont think we can do that.

pnbronco
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Even though we have a new D Cord, it should be close to what they had last year so I would think the learning curve would be less. Last years guys know Martindale and from what I've heard they really like and respect him.

When Orton got sprained his ankle last year there was no real backup for him. So to have serious competation in camp and know that we will have real backup can only be a plus in my book.

For me the biggest strenght is that the concept of team. I saw it last year at camp and when talking to some of the guys at the end of the season I could see the hurt of loosing as a team and letting down their fellow team mates.

broncofaninfla
06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm going with the defense on this one. Nolan built/coached a pretty respectable defense last season and I have a lot of faith in Wink to continue that trend. Too many uncertainities on the offense and didn't see much of anything in the 09 season to be optimistic about. One good thing is the offense is in the second season under Mcd's system and he now has his players in place, so based on that the offense should be much improved.

slim
06-03-2010, 12:49 PM
The coaching staff is solid. Oh, and the defense will be our strength.

underrated29
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I like the offense and I do not think there are really question marks there so much as there is lack of production from josh.

Id say if we had a better QB we would go offense. but we dont so then its back to the playcalling and really seeing if Joshs system will work. Because so far it has not.

He has got his pieces to make it work, but when we kept repeatedly calling the same stupid trap to the right on 3rd and 1. And the defense knows it, because I called the play before we broke huddle, and therefore everyone else sees it too. I think he needs to fix his offense.

If Josh can bring some life to the O with playcalling then id say offense. For now, i really like our defense.

GGMoogly
06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
How come no one has mentioned the fans? Hell, we're a REAL source of strength for our team. We feed them our energy and our precious resources. This team is dead in the water without us. I'm talking about we seemingly normal human beings who've lost the capacity for rational thought and spend money on everything from Bronco hats and jerseys to Bronco sunglasses, earrings, sunglasses, playing cards, condoms, diapers, etc. Look at us right now! We're spending our free time to promote the Broncos (and NFL) brand! If this team is any kind of success at all, let's thank ourselves!!! :salute:

I'm a 52 year old man and I'm playing with smiley faces. Other than women, not much else can make me this stoopid.

slim
06-03-2010, 12:58 PM
How come no one has mentioned the fans? Hell, we're a REAL source of strength for our team. We feed them our energy and our precious resources. This team is dead in the water without us. I'm talking about we seemingly normal human beings who've lost the capacity for rational thought and spend money on everything from Bronco hats and jerseys to Bronco sunglasses, earrings, sunglasses, playing cards, condoms, diapers, etc. Look at us right now! We're spending our free time to promote the Broncos (and NFL) brand! If this team is any kind of success at all, let's thank ourselves!!! :salute:

I'm a 52 year old man and I'm playing with smiley faces. Other than women, not much else can make me this stoopid.

You are old enough to be topscribe's son.

Thnikkaman
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Cuz I said so.

underrated29
06-03-2010, 01:11 PM
You are old enough to be topscribe's great grandson.

Fixed.

Bosco
06-03-2010, 02:39 PM
For now, the defense.

broncophan
06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I am not sure what the strength is.....but I feel like over the last year +.......McD is building by getting players who WANT to be here....and getting rid of players who don't want to be here.......I know you need more than that.....but without that you don't have a chance.....

Shazam!
06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I ******* HATE these bait threads.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Right now, it's got to be the defense. We replaced fill-in linemen with solid vets and the rest of the guys pretty much remain the same. The only real ? with the defense is Wink. If they take a big step back this year, we'll know why. If they stay the same or get better it's all good.

The STs (short of Prater and Elam before him) have sucked ass for years. I'll believe they're better when I see it. Our STs KR/PR blocking is absolutely terrible and it has been for years.

The offense is the unit with all the ?s as far as I'm concerned. We drafted a lot of new faces but who knows if any will really transition well to the pros, and how long will it take? Thomas and Decker are rookies and I don't expect them to make a huge impact. The O-line might have 2 rookies on it to start the season. And of course, we have a game-managing statue at QB who always seems to not manage to score in the Redzone but manages to go 3 and out a lot.

Everyone seems to think Orton will be better his "second year in the system", but I don't think it's the mental side of the game in which he's lacking. I think he knows the playbook and is fine reading a defense. he just doesn't have the physical skills to really make a pass-heavy offense (which is what we are) as effective as we could be.

I haven't read a thing about Orton spending more time in the gym getting stronger to avoid injury, or running to improve his mobility, or working tirelessly on his accuracy and timing with his WRs outside of OTAs. That's what really disturbs me and makes me want a change. His physical liabilities are much bigger than his mental handle on the game.

broncophan
06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Right now, it's got to be the defense. We replaced fill-in linemen with solid vets and the rest of the guys pretty much remain the same. The only real ? with the defense is Wink. If they take a big step back this year, we'll know why. If they stay the same or get better it's all good.

The STs (short of Prater and Elam before him) have sucked ass for years. I'll believe they're better when I see it. Our STs KR/PR blocking is absolutely terrible and it has been for years.

The offense is the unit with all the ?s as far as I'm concerned. We drafted a lot of new faces but who knows if any will really transition well to the pros, and how long will it take? Thomas and Decker are rookies and I don't expect them to make a huge impact. The O-line might have 2 rookies on it to start the season. And of course, we have a game-managing statue at QB who always seems to not manage to score in the Redzone but manages to go 3 and out a lot.

Everyone seems to think Orton will be better his "second year in the system", but I don't think it's the mental side of the game in which he's lacking. I think he knows the playbook and is fine reading a defense. he just doesn't have the physical skills to really make a pass-heavy offense (which is what we are) as effective as we could be.

I haven't read a thing about Orton spending more time in the gym getting stronger to avoid injury, or running to improve his mobility, or working tirelessly on his accuracy and timing with his WRs outside of OTAs. That's what really disturbs me and makes me want a change. His physical liabilities are much bigger than his mental handle on the game.

Whether we read anything or not.....I would have to think Orton is working harder than ever this offseason....esp. with the additions we have made at qb......if he is not.....that makes the decision that much easier for McD as far as who our qb is.

TXBRONC
06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Whether we read anything or not.....I would have to think Orton is working harder than ever this offseason....esp. with the additions we have made at qb......if he is not.....that makes the decision that much easier for McD as far as who our qb is.

I think if Orton is it will eventually get mentioned someone.