PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Team Report 5/27/08

TXBRONC
05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Here's the latest from The Sporting News. The thing that really caught my eye is what Rasizer says about Robertson playing 65% of the defensive snaps. He thinks it will be under that, which is something I've been saying myself. It doesn't mean I'm right but at least there reason to believe that Robertson wont play 65% of the defensive snaps.

You all might also find the paragraph Scheffler interesting. Apparently Ramsey has suffered a similar injury and he told Tony to expect the soreness. To me that means it's not unusual.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=416698

Broncos Team Report
Posted: May 27, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The Broncos are hoping they shut down TE Tony Scheffler early enough that his recurrent foot soreness prevents him from missing any time in training camp. X-rays show no new fracture in Scheffler's left foot, which he broke last May. He had a screw inserted surgically in the foot and will wear a protective boot for two weeks then be re-examined. A best-case scenario would be for Scheffler to participate in Denver's final minicamp in early July, as he will need to get his conditioning back following the removal of the boot. Scheffler also experienced soreness early last season but was hoping that he'd be free of pain by September's opener. Teammate Patrick Ramsey, who had a similar injury, told him to expect that. . . .

Denver is taking no chances with DT Dewayne Robertson, who has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee that he's mostly played through during his five NFL seasons. Robertson spent the Broncos' first two weeks of OTAs rehabilitating with Denver's medical staff. He'll most likely return for team camp in early June. But Denver wants to make sure he's as strong as possible before pushing himself physically. Given Mike Shanahan's history with veterans, Robertson likely will be given ample time off in training camp, as well, and his snaps will be monitored in-season, too. Robertson has to play at least 65 percent of snaps for the Broncos to owe the Jets a draft pick as compensation in the transaction that brought Robertson to Denver. Take the under.

SCOUTING REPORT: There wasn't much that could be gleaned from a limited-contact camp without pads in late May. Even so, rookie tackle Ryan Clady wowed his new teammates with his agility and footwork at 317 pounds. Clady was able to catch up to his linemates even when he was late off the ball, and even when a step slow, his quick feet got his body in position so he doesn't have to reach to fend off defensive ends. Clady has been installed as the starter at left tackle. It appears Erik Pears, last year's right tackle, will be his primary competition. Clady still has to prove he has the necessary strength to hold up in the running game but he should have no problem adapting physically to the challenges a zone-blocking scheme presents.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES ANALYSIS: The addition of Robertson could provide a huge boost, given he'll be back to the three-technique position in which he cut his teeth. But there are question marks elsewhere. Marcus Thomas is gifted athletically and should benefit from a full off-season in the team's strength program but needs to be more consistent. Alvin McKinley is the veteran presence in the middle and he'll be the likely veteran backup. The fourth spot in an anticipated interior rotation will come down to either rookie Carlton Powell, raw Stephen Harris or dark horse-contributor Nic Clemons, an offseason pickup from Atlanta from whom early signs are positive. Grade: C-. Pro-Bowl caliber players: None.