PDA

View Full Version : Broncos jazzed over aggressive "D"

Denver Native (Carol)
06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15211984?source=rss

The Broncos hit the midway point of their offseason practice schedule Wednesday, and several defensive players said they can already tell the defense under new coordinator Don "Wink" Martindale is going to be aggressive.

"I like it, it is early but so far Wink really has an understanding of the guys he has on this team defensively," linebacker Akin Ayodele said. "He has a good sense of who he wants to bring, how he wants to attack coverage."

Ayodele, who signed with the Broncos in late April after starting 28 games over the last two seasons in Miami, said he can tell Martindale likes to blitz. The defense first was allowed to practice those pressures against the Broncos offense last week.

"If you want to win football games you have to have an attitude, and that's what I'm seeing," defensive end Jarvis Green said.

The Broncos have two more days of voluntary organized team activities this week and three next week before the team holds its only mandatory minicamp from June 11-13.

With three new starting defensive linemen, a handful of new linebackers and defensive backs, this time has been crucial, players said, not just for learning, but also for getting a head start on position battles.

New cornerback Nate Jones, who signed as a free agent from Miami, knows he's going to be in one of the most competitive battles for the nickel corner role. He'll compete along with second-year players Alphonso Smith and Tony Carter, as well as rookie draft picks Perrish Cox and Syd'Quan Thompson.

"The team I was on last year drafted two corners in the first round. That's the league, that's what happens," Jones said. "I have something I can bring to this team, whether it is special teams or (defensive) packages."

SoCalImport
06-02-2010, 05:20 PM
I recall a fella by the name Zambini at the Freak that must be drooling over write-ups like this.
"Attack the the run AND the pass at the point of origin"

WARHORSE
06-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I recall a fella by the name Zambini at the Freak that must be drooling over write-ups like this.
"Attack the the run AND the pass at the point of origin"

Please do not mention that name unless the sun is out, or he may come calling.

You can compare it to nuking each thread he steps into. :coffee:

Lonestar
06-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Well now lets see if it works without super star Divas on defense. ;)

Shazam!
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I liked Zam.

dogfish
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Well now lets see if it works without super star Divas on defense. ;)

yea, thank god we won't have to deal with any more antics from andra davis!

:confused:

TXBRONC
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
yea, thank god we won't have to deal with any more antics from andra davis!

:confused:

Bastage to the nth degree. :tsk:

jrelway
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah. every year the defensive players praise the scheme. then we end up getting jacked up. i gotta see it to believe it.

BCJ
06-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I like when a DC likes to blitz. Of course you need the guys ie. Doom to be able to get to the QB and the cover guys which I feel we have. My dream is to do corner back blitz from the blind side like Ray Crockett did for us in the Superbowl years.

Lonestar
06-03-2010, 12:11 AM
I believe you blitz for TWO reasons.

You do not have the players to create a legit pass rush ( something DEN has not had for almost 3 decades, Orang crush) even then they blitzed a lot which is the other reason. You have it as a part of your culture Blitzburg is the prime example

But rememeber those who blitz a lot and are not fundementaly great LOS teams often DIE by the Blitz.

Let's get back to the Orange crush style where the QB NEVER knows which ear hole he will be looking out of when he gets up off the deck.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

EastCoastBronco
06-03-2010, 06:59 AM
If we can stop the run consistently (FOR 16 FREAKING GAMES) it will make me happy.
That's all I have to say about that.

broncofaninfla
06-03-2010, 07:22 AM
I hated to see Nolan bolt but glad Denver selected Wink as his replacement. Mcd has "his" team in place, lets see if he knows what he is doing.......

Traveler
06-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Let's get back to the Orange crush style where the QB NEVER knows which ear hole he will be looking out of when he gets up off the deck.

I think that is Martindale's plan. Just wondering if we'll be able to disguise who's coming as well as previous Buddy Ryan defenses used to?

underrated29
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
I am a big fan of the blitz personally. Esp when we have good solid corners and saftey help over the top...Typically we see 3 wide with maybe a TE also going into routes...

Our 3 dbs should be able to handle them esp with our S. That means we just need to watch the TE..DJ, DOOM both have the speed to keep on him for a 2 seconds. To me the other LB is just wasting space in a zone. Why not send him after the QB, get in the pass lanes, make the qb look another direction buying more time for the other DL to get him.

But I am agressive in sports so sitting back is not my style.

Traveler
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
But I am agressive in sports so sitting back is not my style.

Me too!

Slick
06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah. every year the defensive players praise the scheme. then we end up getting jacked up. i gotta see it to believe it.

Slowick was going to be the next defensive guru...

arapaho2
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
i recall 2008 when champ and others were stateing how jazzed they were about slowicks defense he was creating...and slowick saying it was gonna be an agressive defense

it was agressive all right...we let teams score as agrressively as we could

SoCalImport
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
i recall 2008 when champ and others were stateing how jazzed they were about slowicks defense he was creating...and slowick saying it was gonna be an agressive defense

it was agressive all right...we let teams score as agrressively as we could

Thankfully, it's easy to see that the talent lvl is miles above what it was two years ago. SO it's a little easier to believe that the D will actually win us a lot of games this year.

Broncolingus
06-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Broncos jizzed over aggressive "D"

Edited for correctness...

:D

...I know, thats so gross!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3g43t7j4OtQ/SXjQOgjVK8I/AAAAAAAAAHg/FIrlIzi4an0/britney_spears-poop_face001p.jpg