PDA

View Full Version : Mike Klis Broncos Mailbag: Elvis Dumervil's contract a hot topic

TXBRONC
06-02-2010, 10:31 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15205066

Broncos Mailbag: Elvis Dumervil's contract a hot topic
Forget the QBs, what's happening with the Denver defense?

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/02/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 06/02/2010 07:43:20 AM MDT

Let's get down to brass tacks, Mike. WHEN are the Broncos finally going to give Elvis Dumervil a new contract? So many other players with less talent have gotten new contracts in this market. --Cordia, Sacramento

Cordia — I wouldn't say many others are getting new contracts. A few others, not many. But Dumervil does deserve to be treated among the select few after leading the NFL with 17 sacks last year.

Brass tacks: there are two deadlines. One is June 15. This is when Dumervil must sign the $3.168 million tender he received from the club as a restricted free agent. If he doesn't sign it, the Broncos can pull their tender and Dumervil would receive a 10 percent raise from his previous year's salary, which would come out to $588,500.

Elvis may be a man of strong principal, but he's also smart. There will be a push to get a new long-term deal done in the next two weeks. But if not, better believe Dumervil will sign that $3.168 million tender on June 15.

At that point, the next deadline for a long-term Dumervil deal is July 29, when veterans report for training camp. I do believe he will get his deal by then. Besides Dumervil's obvious pass-rushing skills, his subtle conciliatory demeanor in the locker room is needed by coach Josh McDaniels. As a holdover from the Shanahan era, the soft-spoken Dumervil's endorsement of McDaniels speaks volumes to his teammates.
I've written this before: I don't blame the Broncos for initially balking at giving Dumervil a new contract because as a pass rusher, he plays at one of the NFL's three highest-paid positions. First, is quarterback. Tied for second are cornerbacks and pass-rushers. Left tackles are fourth.

As an example, Brian Dawkins, as a seven-time Pro Bowl safety when he hit the unrestricted free agent market last year, received a $17 million contract from the Broncos with a $7.2 million guarantee.

A couple months later, Baltimore pass-rushing linebacker Terrell Suggs received a $62.5 million contract with a $38.1 million guarantee.

Suggs can't carry Dawkins' gym bag, but there you go.

If Dumervil were in line for safety money, he'd have a new contract by now. But as a pass-rusher, the Broncos are looking at a $65 million deal with $40 million in guarantees. To date, the Broncos have oonly given one similar megabucks contract — to cornerback Champ Bailey, and that was seven years ago.