PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels Will Win in the Long Run

WARHORSE
06-02-2010, 03:55 AM
If Woody Paige says it.................they will come.

Josh McDaniels, like all math majors, knows the square root of pi, but, unlike his predecessor, does not know the square footage of the home he has bought.
"No idea," the Broncos coach said when I asked in a recent conversation.
It is not a palatial, 35,000-square- foot mansion in Cherry Hills Village, but rather a nice, medium- size house in a south suburban Denver subdivision.
"The most important thing is Laura (his wife) and I got a big yard for the kids (Jack Thomas, 6, and Maddie, 4) to play in."
McDaniels isn't renting.
Despite what many of his detractors desire, the 34-year-old coach, approaching the second season of his four-year contract agreement that will pay him $2.7 million in 2010, intends to be in Denver and with the Broncos for a long, long time.
"Used to, people would ask me where I was from, and I'd say Ohio (where he was born and lived his first 22 years). Now, I say I'm from Denver. This is home, where we want to raise our kids. In the last year and a half I've found out why everybody else loves Colorado. We don't ever want to leave."
The purveyors of such websites as FireJoshMcDanielsnow.com and JoshMcDaniels(stinks).com and others won't be happy until he is gone.
Only two of the Broncos' previous coaches reached the playoffs in their first seasons (Red Miller and Wade Phillips). But McDaniels' failure to do so stung the deepest to the most for myriad reasons: He (1) replaced Mike Shanahan, the 14-season, two-time Super Bowl-winning coach, (2) was only 32 and without head coaching experience, (3) came from the successful but despised Patriots, (4) soon listened to a trade possibility involving Jay Cutler, then tangled with the Pro Bowl quarterback and finally dealt him, (5) seemed to have a Bill Belichick attitude and arrogance, (6) suspended Brandon Marshall in training camp, and lastly, (7) wore a hoodie.
The furor subsided when the Broncos opened last season with six consecutive victories.
However, he coached the Broncos to eight losses in their last 10 games, and there was no playoff spot. He was heard to say a discouraging word on the sideline during a nationally televised game, didn't play Peyton Hillis at running back, deactivated Marshall and Tony Scheffler before the final, humiliating loss at home to Kansas City, got rid of Hillis, Marshall and Scheffler in the offseason, drafted Tim Tebow and two injured wide receivers and wore a hoodie.
"I would never say I had a good season last year. I didn't," McDaniels offered in a succinct self-appraisal. There has been a learning curve for the son of a coach with a college degree in math.
But Coloradans still haven't learned much about Josh. Here are some things you should know:
He is not a robotic invention of Belichick. McDaniels possesses a very pleasant personality in private as well as a sense of humor. He has begun to expose both traits in public in recent months. He genuinely is shy. (Three years ago, Josh hired a professional to help him in speaking situations.)
At his final predraft news conference, Josh was open, funny and, rare for a coach, honest in his evaluations of several college prospects — including Tebow, to whom he lavished praise. The coach gave everybody a clue when he said he would draft Tebow if he could find a way to do it. He did it.
He was criticized for trash- talking a Chargers player before the Broncos' game
Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

in San Diego, and for his obscenity during the Thanksgiving game in Denver against the Giants. Both situations proved that Josh is intensely competitive — and emotional. He's organized. (Check his practices and office desktop.) He's solid, sharp, smart, savvy.

He has committed this offseason to getting out into the community and meeting folks and kids. He has addressed charity, civic and school groups — focusing particularly on asthma research. Josh and his son have chronic asthma.
McDaniels is committed to his family time. The four have visited Elitch's, the mountains and the 16th Street Mall and soon will go on a Florida vacation. They hang out in "the big yard." Josh and Laura also spent a weekend in the enemy camp — staying at the venerable Hotel Del Coronado near San Diego.
McDaniels is committed to a family locker room. He and John Elway have become friends and will be golf partners this summer. Elway told McDaniels that the Super Bowl champions didn't have as much talent as other Broncos teams, but they were closer on the field and off and had great leadership, and there were no me-first players. McDaniels' own beliefs were strengthened by what he heard.
McDaniels is committed to winning — and fearless in making brash, controversial decisions.
McDaniels is committed to Denver.
The Broncos will be a Super Bowl team again. McDan- iels will be a successful, popular coach. He will not be leaving anytime soon.
Josh will own more championship rings — and maybe a restaurant with his name on it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15207278

GGMoogly
06-02-2010, 04:07 AM
...But McDaniels' failure to do so stung the deepest to the most for myriad reasons: He (1) replaced Mike Shanahan, the 14-season, two-time Super Bowl-winning coach, (2) was only 32 and without head coaching experience, (3) came from the successful but despised Patriots, (4) soon listened to a trade possibility involving Jay Cutler, then tangled with the Pro Bowl quarterback and finally dealt him, (5) seemed to have a Bill Belichick attitude and arrogance, (6) suspended Brandon Marshall in training camp, and lastly, (7) wore a hoodie.

He forgot to mention that goofy thing he does with his lower lip, like he's trying to eat his own nose.

tomjonesrocks
06-02-2010, 09:52 AM
I didn't read anything here that supports the argument he'll be wildly successful going forward.

The article basically says "Josh likes his family, isn't as bad personally as you think he is, and soon the Broncos will be polishing Lombardi trophies". What?

He's competitive and "solid, sharp, smart, savvy". And he shoved the team's top talent out the door because they were "me first" players. That's all it takes! Super Bowls here we come.

Lonestar
06-02-2010, 10:54 AM
or a guy with a woody not a bad article.

Woody must be off the sauce he has made a couple Three good ones lately.

Waiting for the fire Josh groupies to appear.

FIVE

FOUR

THREE

TWO

ONE
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

arapaho2
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
If Woody Paige says it.................they will come.

Josh McDaniels, like all math majors, knows the square root of pi, but, unlike his predecessor, does not know the square footage of the home he has bought.
"No idea," the Broncos coach said when I asked in a recent conversation.
It is not a palatial, 35,000-square- foot mansion in Cherry Hills Village, but rather a nice, medium- size house in a south suburban Denver subdivision.
"The most important thing is Laura (his wife) and I got a big yard for the kids (Jack Thomas, 6, and Maddie, 4) to play in."
McDaniels isn't renting.
Despite what many of his detractors desire, the 34-year-old coach, approaching the second season of his four-year contract agreement that will pay him $2.7 million in 2010, intends to be in Denver and with the Broncos for a long, long time.
"Used to, people would ask me where I was from, and I'd say Ohio (where he was born and lived his first 22 years). Now, I say I'm from Denver. This is home, where we want to raise our kids. In the last year and a half I've found out why everybody else loves Colorado. We don't ever want to leave."
The purveyors of such websites as FireJoshMcDanielsnow.com and JoshMcDaniels(stinks).com and others won't be happy until he is gone.
Only two of the Broncos' previous coaches reached the playoffs in their first seasons (Red Miller and Wade Phillips). But McDaniels' failure to do so stung the deepest to the most for myriad reasons: He (1) replaced Mike Shanahan, the 14-season, two-time Super Bowl-winning coach, (2) was only 32 and without head coaching experience, (3) came from the successful but despised Patriots, (4) soon listened to a trade possibility involving Jay Cutler, then tangled with the Pro Bowl quarterback and finally dealt him, (5) seemed to have a Bill Belichick attitude and arrogance, (6) suspended Brandon Marshall in training camp, and lastly, (7) wore a hoodie.
The furor subsided when the Broncos opened last season with six consecutive victories.
However, he coached the Broncos to eight losses in their last 10 games, and there was no playoff spot. He was heard to say a discouraging word on the sideline during a nationally televised game, didn't play Peyton Hillis at running back, deactivated Marshall and Tony Scheffler before the final, humiliating loss at home to Kansas City, got rid of Hillis, Marshall and Scheffler in the offseason, drafted Tim Tebow and two injured wide receivers and wore a hoodie.
"I would never say I had a good season last year. I didn't," McDaniels offered in a succinct self-appraisal. There has been a learning curve for the son of a coach with a college degree in math.
But Coloradans still haven't learned much about Josh. Here are some things you should know:
He is not a robotic invention of Belichick. McDaniels possesses a very pleasant personality in private as well as a sense of humor. He has begun to expose both traits in public in recent months. He genuinely is shy. (Three years ago, Josh hired a professional to help him in speaking situations.)
At his final predraft news conference, Josh was open, funny and, rare for a coach, honest in his evaluations of several college prospects — including Tebow, to whom he lavished praise. The coach gave everybody a clue when he said he would draft Tebow if he could find a way to do it. He did it.
He was criticized for trash- talking a Chargers player before the Broncos' game
Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

in San Diego, and for his obscenity during the Thanksgiving game in Denver against the Giants. Both situations proved that Josh is intensely competitive — and emotional. He's organized. (Check his practices and office desktop.) He's solid, sharp, smart, savvy.

He has committed this offseason to getting out into the community and meeting folks and kids. He has addressed charity, civic and school groups — focusing particularly on asthma research. Josh and his son have chronic asthma.
McDaniels is committed to his family time. The four have visited Elitch's, the mountains and the 16th Street Mall and soon will go on a Florida vacation. They hang out in "the big yard." Josh and Laura also spent a weekend in the enemy camp — staying at the venerable Hotel Del Coronado near San Diego.
McDaniels is committed to a family locker room. He and John Elway have become friends and will be golf partners this summer. Elway told McDaniels that the Super Bowl champions didn't have as much talent as other Broncos teams, but they were closer on the field and off and had great leadership, and there were no me-first players. McDaniels' own beliefs were strengthened by what he heard.
McDaniels is committed to winning — and fearless in making brash, controversial decisions.
McDaniels is committed to Denver.
The Broncos will be a Super Bowl team again. McDan- iels will be a successful, popular coach. He will not be leaving anytime soon.
Josh will own more championship rings — and maybe a restaurant with his name on it.

let it be so...

NightTrainLayne
06-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Elway told McDaniels that the Super Bowl champions didn't have as much talent as other Broncos teams, but they were closer on the field and off and had great leadership, and there were no me-first players.

Who am I to argue with John Elway, but I thought those Super Bowl Champion teams were pretty darn talented. Interesting that he would tell McD this.

Dirk
06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Sure, Rod and Eddie Mac weren't premier WRs but they were talented. And TD was a beast and one of the best ever! Not to mention a HOF QB. Also the Oline was no slouch either.

I think John must have had a snoot full when he said that. Those teams were pretty talented.

Zweems56
06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Who am I to argue with John Elway, but I thought those Super Bowl Champion teams were pretty darn talented. Interesting that he would tell McD this.

Schlereth said it too for the superbowl 32 coverage that NFLN has been playing. Something along the lines of "Who would have thought a bunch of nobodies, a bunch of low draft picks like us, would win the superbowl. That's special." Now, I was only 12 at the time, so my knowledge of the team isn't extraordinary.... BUT, i don't remember too many of the guys on that squad being highly touted college players.

The Glue Factory
06-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Of the lot I think Elway was the only one drafted high in the first round. There were at least 3 HOF caliber players on that team and arguably that many more that should at least be considered for the HOF.

slim
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Sure, Rod and Eddie Mac weren't premier WRs but they were talented. And TD was a beast and one of the best ever! Not to mention a HOF QB. Also the Oline was no slouch either.

I think John must have had a snoot full when he said that. Those teams were pretty talented.

The offense was stacked, no question.

The defense? Not so much.

Still, it seems like a strange thing to say.

TXBRONC
06-02-2010, 01:51 PM
The offense was stacked, no question.

The defense? Not so much.

Still, it seems like a strange thing to say.

True they weren't stack but they were solid.

scott.475
06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
One of the shows I was watching about the SB32 Broncos said that only 3 of the starters were drafted above the 6th (maybe 5th) round. Pretty impressive.

Softskull
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Ah, John's old and retired now, I'll argue with him. I've been watching the Broncos since before Elway showed up. We never had a team more talented than the group that played against Green Bay in the SB.

The Glue Factory
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Ah, John's old and retired now, I'll argue with him. I've been watching the Broncos since before Elway showed up. We never had a team more talented than the group that played against Green Bay in the SB.

True but much of that talent wasn't found in the first 2 or 3 rounds of any draft. Many of the SB32/33 Broncos have said that the biggest reason for their success was being cooped up at UNC for training camp.

Softskull
06-02-2010, 07:22 PM
True but much of that talent wasn't found in the first 2 or 3 rounds of any draft. Many of the SB32/33 Broncos have said that the biggest reason for their success was being cooped up at UNC for training camp.

I agree with you, draft position often has nothing to do with talent. Although the two hall of famers were both from the first few rounds. Sharpe will hopefully crash that party soon.

camdisco24
06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I hope this article is right. That's all I can say.

nevcraw
06-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Elway must have forgotten the Robert Delpino days..

WARHORSE
06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
One thing that probably stood out for John was the way everyone got along. If you look back on those teams, the two major stars on the team were TEAM players.

You never once heard a peep about TD or Elway wanting to be the highest paid player, etc, etc. In fact, you saw otherwise. Elway giving up money to sign players.

So does anyone wonder what it would have looked like to see Shannon Sharpe, Eddie Mac, or Rod tell the media how awesome they were and how the team depended on them and why they should be the highest paid players in the league?

Everyone in the lockeroom knows Elway and Terrell were the stars, and those two guys set the whole tone by never jerking their own chain, but giving props to those around them.

Even Shannon, the most outspoken was aware of the mentality of the guys in there.

Quite honestly, Shannon was the only guy who came close to wanting money, but honestly, it was Shanahan who was trying to lowball him, and that hurt a very Bronco loyal player in SS.

There was nuts talent on this team, but no heralded players coming out of college, and I think thats what John was alluding to.

tomjonesrocks
06-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Romanowski was on those SB teams. Now there's a character guy...

Lonestar
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
but he was TEAM player.. offered roids to one an all :salute:

Softskull
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Come on. What's a little spit between a couple o' ballers.

BALCO for the win.

GGMoogly
06-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Come on. What's a little spit between a couple o' ballers.

BALCO for the win.

He was a SOB, but he was our SOB!

Say, wasn't it just EAS he was involved in, or was it BALCO, too?