PDA

View Full Version : Looking back a few years...Cutler, Young, or Lienart?

denbroncofan26
05-26-2008, 11:23 PM
When that draft happened I made my opinion well known that VY would be a big mistake for whoever picked him and Lienart would prove to be only an average QB. Two years later, did the Broncos make the right choice? Also check out this article...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3413244

The only thing Cutler has done since being drafted is get diabetes and study hard to better his game. As opposed to the other two who would rather party like they never left college :beer:

DenBronx
05-26-2008, 11:46 PM
V.Y. was ready to quit after only 1 full year...no thanks.

Leinart is going to lose his job to a very old Kurt Warner....no thanks.

Cutler was the best choice then and will be the best choice the rest of his career....just as long as he keeps his diabetes under control.

honz
05-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, the Broncos didn't really have a shot at VY or Leinart, but I will say that I am glad the Titans and Cardinals screwed up royally!:beer:

Broncos Mtnman
05-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Cutler will come closer to the Hall Of Fame than either of the other two.

Cutler will play in more playoff games.

Cutler will play in more Pro Bowls.

Cutler will be in the top 10 of all-time QBs by the time he retires.

Ziggy
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Right now it looks as if Denver got the best of that draft as far as QB's go. Even though in my mind, Cutler will be the best of the 3, a case can be made for Vince Young, since he was selected as Rookie of the Year, and has the only playoff appearance of the 3.

By the numbers:

Jay Cutler - 21 Games Started
Passing- 4498 yards 29 TD's 19 INT's QB Rating- 88.2
Rushing- 223 yards 1TD

Vince Young - 28 Games Started
Passing- 4745 yards 21 TD's 30 INT's QB Rating- 69.0
Rushing- 947 yards 10 TD's

Matt Leinart - 16 Games Started
Passing- 3194 yards 13 TD's 16 INT's QB Rating- 71.2
Rushing- 91 yards 2TD's

IMO, Cutler and VY have similar teams in terms of overall talent, and Leinert, well...not so much. Leinart lost his starting job last year to Warner, but will be in the mix again this season. Cutler and VY are clearly the leaders for thier teams on offense and will be starting again barring injuries.

As you can see by the stats, VY doesn't have the passing numbers that Cutler does, but is a serious threat on the ground. As mentioned above, he has the only playoff appearance of the three, and has started and won more games. At the end of 2006, barely anyone outside of the Broncos organization and fans were putting Cutler on the same level as VY and Leinart. As of right now, I think most GM's would clearly take Cutler or Vince Young. I'll take Cutler.

lex
05-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I think one way to guage a QB is to look at what he has done when his team has equal or lesser talent in college. Its easy to look at this where Cutler is concerned since he played at Vanderbilt. The reason this is a good gauge is because in the NFL the talent is far more equal than in college. You dont see such a talent disparity like what you see in college and so if you see a QB who does well with equal or lesser talent its a good indicator in many cases I think. Eli Manning did well in the SEC in spite of playing for Ole Miss.

Its not an absolute but I think its a decent level of assurance. And because it works this way, you can sometimes make out when there are two heavily touted QBs from bigger name and more talent laden schools like Texas and USC. I always thought Jay making Vanderbilt competitive in the SEC meant as much as what the other two did at Texas and USC.

underrated29
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
jay all the way!

Matt is good and will be good, but is nothing special. i think he might become a poor mans brady. Meaning he doesnt really excel at anything, but wont be bad at anything either....

I never like qbs who do great because they are surrounded by talent. I like guys who do great with no talent. ala jay. ( in college that is)

But i do have to say, matt should be doing better with fitzy and boldin as his weapons.

This is how i rank them now. Jay,vince,matt- at draft it was jay,matt,vince. I was skepitacal about vince being able to throw.....But i like him and he is doing better.

Ziggy
05-27-2008, 11:11 AM
jay all the way!

Matt is good and will be good, but is nothing special. i think he might become a poor mans brady. Meaning he doesnt really excel at anything, but wont be bad at anything either....

I never like qbs who do great because they are surrounded by talent. I like guys who do great with no talent. ala jay. ( in college that is)

But i do have to say, matt should be doing better with fitzy and boldin as his weapons.

This is how i rank them now. Jay,vince,matt- at draft it was jay,matt,vince. I was skepitacal about vince being able to throw.....But i like him and he is doing better.

If you have a crappy O-line and no running game, it doesnt matter who your receivers are.

Mike
05-27-2008, 11:13 AM
If you have a crappy O-line and no running game, it doesnt matter who your receivers are.

Because Denver had such amazing O-line and RB play last year? :confused:

BOSSHOGG30
05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Vince Young leads the way right now...he has far more wins. I know people will say that the Titans defense wins him games, but I've seen a more than a few Titan games were he has come up big towards the end of the game.

All 3 QB's are very young and have plenty of room to grow. Leinhart should have the least of excuses because he was suppose to be the most NFL ready QB and he by far has the most weapons surrounding him as well as a great veteran QB to mentor him.

I like Vince Young's leadership and potential still and Cutler's potential is just amazing it self. I'm excited to see how he does now that he knows of this diabetes and his strength and energy level should rebound.

With all this said, I think Cutler was by far the better investment. I think we as Broncos fans have more to look forward to with Cutler.

Ziggy
05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Because Denver had such amazing O-line and RB play last year? :confused:

Good point Mike. Consider me corrected.

Retired_Member_001
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, the Broncos didn't really have a shot at VY or Leinart, but I will say that I am glad the Titans and Cardinals screwed up royally!:beer:

Yeah exactly.

If that Draft class could be redone, I'm pretty sure Cutler would be the #1 or #2 pick. Although, the Type 1 Diabetes may drop his stock a little bit. He would still be up there though.

scott.475
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I get the sense Leinart won't amount to much. He seems like one of these guys who believed he was going to take the NFL by storm, but does not really have the talent for it. I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is, there just seems to be something missing with him. He might be one of these guys who wants to be a football player, but does not really want to play the game. I dunno.

I can understand how VY may have wanted to give up after the first year. He was made a starter pretty quickly and was expected to win. I can totally understand how someone might thing "Jeez, this was not at all what I expected. This is not fun." Now, it seems like he came around, but I am sure we have all been involved in something, maybe a new job, where it seemed impossibly complicated at the beginning, where at some point you wondered whether it was worth continuing. I wouldn't even call that a character flaw, just someone assessing their own life and deciding what they really want to do.

As for Jay, well, he is going about his job in what seems to be a quite, calculated, professional way. Not getting all the press the other two guys get, but he certainly seems to have more desire to win that Leinart, and almost certainly has the mental acuity to run a more complex offense than VY has.

Looking through my orange colored glasses, I think Jay was the best pick of the three. I also feel like the real competition is between Jay and VY, and Leinart isn't even close to them.

lex
05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I get the sense Leinart won't amount to much. He seems like one of these guys who believed he was going to take the NFL by storm, but does not really have the talent for it. I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is, there just seems to be something missing with him. He might be one of these guys who wants to be a football player, but does not really want to play the game. I dunno.

I can understand how VY may have wanted to give up after the first year. He was made a starter pretty quickly and was expected to win. I can totally understand how someone might thing "Jeez, this was not at all what I expected. This is not fun." Now, it seems like he came around, but I am sure we have all been involved in something, maybe a new job, where it seemed impossibly complicated at the beginning, where at some point you wondered whether it was worth continuing. I wouldn't even call that a character flaw, just someone assessing their own life and deciding what they really want to do.

As for Jay, well, he is going about his job in what seems to be a quite, calculated, professional way. Not getting all the press the other two guys get, but he certainly seems to have more desire to win that Leinart, and almost certainly has the mental acuity to run a more complex offense than VY has.

Looking through my orange colored glasses, I think Jay was the best pick of the three. I also feel like the real competition is between Jay and VY, and Leinart isn't even close to them.

I think Leinarts more interested in being a celebrity than a QB. Thats the impression I have. He seems like he is still trapped in 2005, where he owned LA. I could be wrong but thats the impression I have. I think he could be good, perhaps not great, but it seems like theres a lack of hunger. Like I said, I could be wrong but thats the impression I have.

JoeF
05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Lotta impressive comments above, about Jay Cutler. The numbers breakout posted by Ziggy shows Jay with a highest of the three QB rating of 88, and that is with the mystery weight loss of '07.

It's almost getting to be clich`, yet I cant wait to see a healthy Jay Cutler with
the '08 Broncos! It'll be kick-a$$!

Simple Jaded
05-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't let a QB that wants to quit after one season be the QB of my football team if HE PAID ME.

Even if Young is just being a drama queen and never considered quiting, that is something an intelligent person just doesn't say.

And if the pressure WAS too much for him, exactly what is Michael Vick, Pacman and some idiot rap stars going to teach him about handling the pressures of being an NFL QB?

Sorry, the more I learn about Vince Young, the less I like......He's starting to look like an idiot and the type of player that NFL defenses will solve sooner rather than later.

When Heimerdinger left to be his OC, I was thinking that he could really help Young, now I'm beginning to think that maybe Dinger is first in line to be the next scapegoat......

TXBRONC
05-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't let a QB that wants to quit after one season be the QB of my football team if HE PAID ME.

Even if Young is just being a drama queen and never considered quiting, that is something an intelligent person just doesn't say.

And if the pressure WAS too much for him, exactly what is Michael Vick, Pacman and some idiot rap stars going to teach him about handling the pressures of being an NFL QB?

Sorry, the more I learn about Vince Young, the less I like......He's starting to look like an idiot and the type of player that NFL defenses will solve sooner rather than later.

When Heimerdinger left to be his OC, I was thinking that he could really help Young, now I'm beginning to think that maybe Dinger is first in line to be the next scapegoat......

NFL defense did a pretty good job solving him last season. The guy plays in 15 out 16 games and he can even throw 10 touchdown passes.

Tned
05-27-2008, 09:01 PM
When that draft happened I made my opinion well known that VY would be a big mistake for whoever picked him and Lienart would prove to be only an average QB. Two years later, did the Broncos make the right choice? Also check out this article...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3413244

The only thing Cutler has done since being drafted is get diabetes and study hard to better his game. As opposed to the other two who would rather party like they never left college :beer:

I'm a huge Cutler fan and am in the camp that thinks he will prove to be the best of the three, but the fact remains it is still too early to know for sure.

TXBRONC
05-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm a huge Cutler fan and am in the camp that thinks he will prove to be the best of the three, but the fact remains it is still too early to know for sure.

I agree. But the one thing we can say right now is that two years in Cutler has preformed at a higher level than the two quarterbacks that went ahead of him in his draft class.

broncosfanscott
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree. But the one thing we can say right now is that two years in Cutler has preformed at a higher level than the two quarterbacks that went ahead of him in his draft class.

And he has allready beaten both of them head-to-head. I like the fact that we got Cutler because first of all I don't want a QB like Young who runs way too much.

Davii
05-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Head to Head...

Cutler Vs. Leinart - Broncos win

Cutler Vs. Young - Broncos win

Day1BroncoFan
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
I think Jay is the best of the bunch. That maybe my homerism talking but it is what I believe.

I still think Matt will out perform Vince at some point. If Matt can settle down into his roll he will play well he has a lot of talent. I don't know if he will do it for the Cards or not but he will turn out better than Vince in my opinion.

I think there is always a better chance for a QB that can pass to outlast one that runs a lot in the NFL. The running can only last for so long. As long as Jay has protection he will turn out the best of the bunch. I think that is one of the things Shanny is trying to take care of right now... protecting the QB.

Watchthemiddle
05-28-2008, 12:25 PM

I think thats arguable at best.

Did you happen to see what Young did his rookie season compared to Cutler
s?

Anyway, its still waaaaay to early to tell.

All three bring different skill sets to the game.

Add all three skill sets together and you have one HOF'mer....= Elway.

denbroncofan26
05-28-2008, 01:21 PM

s?

Its certainly not too early to say that VY is causing more trouble than hes worth. How can all the guys in a lockerroom get behind and believe in a guy that has admitted he isn't enjoying the game and wants to quit?

omac
05-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I sure hope Young wasn't serious; if he was, then he'd better learn to have a more professional attitude. He's getting paid millions; it's a job and it doesn't always have to be fun. I think he can have an excellent career, if his team's offense is tailored to his strengths. Keep the offense simple, mainly rushing based, so he doesn't have to make too many complex decisions, and he should learn to throw on the run too.

I think Leinart's weakness has more to do with his arm strength. It might give defenders more chances at the ball. Warner seems to have more pop in his passes. I still think he can become an excellent quarterback, because he looks like he has the ability to read defenses.

Cutler ... he can make all the throws, he's mobile, he's cool under pressure, he's a quick study, he's pretty efficient, & he's a hard worker. What's not to like?

One thing in common with all three QBs; they're all pretty tough.

TXBRONC
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM

s?

Ok you're certainly entitled to think is argueable. However two years into there respective career, it's not arguable to say Jay has out preformed both Leinert and Young statistically and in head to head match ups.

Did I see what Young did verses Cutler in his rookie season? Yes know what Young 12 touchdown 13 interceptions isn't impressive.

Tned
05-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Yes, but Cutler also went to the best team. AZ and Tenn were in far worse shape when their QB's took over.