View Full Version : Scouts' Eye: D-line dissection

nevcraw
05-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Scouts' Eye: D-line dissection

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5229057

By Matt Williamson
Scouts Inc.

Denver Broncos

The Broncos have revamped their line and mostly likely will have an entirely new starting front three to open the 2010 season. Jamal Williams, Jarvis Green and Justin Bannan should be the starters, but last year's starters -- Ronald Fields, Ryan McBean and Marcus Thomas -- all remain and should see plenty of playing time as well.

The Williams signing is quite interesting; when right, he is a monster in the middle. But it is quite possible that Williams' ship has sailed and in a way, this signing reeks of one that Mike Shanahan might have made near the end of his tenure in Denver. Still, it is probably worth the risk, as Williams should be able to stay reasonably fresh with Fields in the fold. But Fields isn't much to get excited about as nose tackles go. Bannan is a player whom I am quite high on in this scheme. I am not as high on Green as Bannan and see Green best suited to be a third defensive end in a 3-4 rotation, which he was once effective doing behind Richard Seymour and Ty Warren in New England. But Green is tough, plays hard and shouldn't be a major liability as last year's starting ends progress.

Thomas has more ability than McBean, but to me he is more of a 4-3 defensive tackle than suited for what Denver asks. But adding these veteran ends who are familiar with the techniques could pay dividends for Thomas. Thomas might also be able to help at nose. The veteran presence and depth of this line in 2010 is undoubtedly a good thing, even though there are some deficiencies overall.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Nothing really news worthy but for some something new to read... unless it's up somewhere else - of so mods please delete..

I agree on the shanny-like signing of Williams but hoping it is more Neil Smith and less Sam Adams.

Bosco
05-31-2010, 11:41 PM
but last year's starters -- Ronald Fields, Ryan McBean and Marcus Thomas

Fact check.

Lonestar
06-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Espn in the link says it all.

Are they even knowledgeable of the Broncos to be able to venture a guess or are the sooth sayers. Time will tell.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Dirk
06-01-2010, 05:25 AM
I like the signing of Williams. If nothing else, he can "teach" how to play the position as he unquestionably knows how to.

gobroncsnv
06-01-2010, 06:49 AM
you can't teach 350 pounds... :cool:

But the strength in Williams' game is not so much his moves, but his ability NOT to move. The guy is just a boulder.

I really hate the description of Green though... "shouldn't be a major liability". I'm hoping Thomas and Baker really factor in... We need some young'ns to come through for us. FA is not a long-term way to build a dline.

Lonestar
06-01-2010, 08:30 AM
you can't teach 350 pounds... :cool:

But the strength in Williams' game is not so much his moves, but his ability NOT to move. The guy is just a boulder.

I really hate the description of Green though... "shouldn't be a major liability". I'm hoping Thomas and Baker really factor in... We need some young'ns to come through for us. FA is not a long-term way to build a dline.

Overall good post.

If anything Josh learned from the master in building a DL. If WE don't already have a NT and DE's on the team in Thomas and Baker that are young and raw then he will spend day one picks on them to BEEF it up soon and will draft one every other year from that point on.

The FAs are rentals to bridge over till the kiddies take over. I suspect nolan was the reason that fields wanted and thought he could make him into a starting NT at less than 315 pounds.

Who knows maybe he can be like the kid from DAL but that would ONLY be two out of the entire NFL. Odds are he is going to have to put 25+ pounds on to become a great one as well as have upgraded DEs on both sides of him.

The LOS is where you win or lose games. And when we have been beat the past decade especially since the AFCCG in the 05 season.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncobryce
06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Also, I thought part of the reason Green was brought in was his ability to rush the passer on 3rd down from the DT position. So that must be taken into consideration. 3rd down lineup-Doom, Green, Thomas? Ayers.....

broncofaninfla
06-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Green keeps getting mentioned as one of the guys who was signed to upgrade this line yet he is nothing more than a role player. In fact, Vonnie Holliday was a far better player at that same role AND even cost less yet Denver let him walk to bring in Green at a higher wage. I like the Bannon adn Williams signings, they were an upgrade but Green was a waste.........

honz
06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Funny, I didn't realize Marcus Thomas started at DE most of last year for us. :coffee: