PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, like other NFL teams, evaluate risks of taking injured players

Lonestar
05-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Broncos, like other NFL teams, evaluate risks of taking injured players
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/30/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The most important set of eyes in April's NFL draft did not work for a team. They did not belong to a scout, a coach or a personnel executive.

Those eyes belonged to a doctor. Dr. James Andrews put Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford's throwing shoulder back together, allowing him to be the first overall pick.

The decision to draft a player coming off a serious injury is not taken lightly. The Broncos drafted two players in April — wide receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker — who have yet to practice full speed because they are still recovering from foot surgery. Thomas was the first player Denver selected, 22nd overall.

"You don't know how much something like that will affect where you go," Thomas said. "I know I just tried to hope for the best."

The Broncos' other first-round selection this year, quarterback Tim Tebow, was one of the most decorated players in college football history, a two-time national champion and the 2007 Heisman winner. But some scouts estimated he played almost half his college games dealing with some kind of injury.

He suffered a severe concussion during the 2009 season, had surgery on his nonthrowing (right) shoulder to remove a bone spur, took painkilling injections for an aching shoulder, played with a hyperextended knee and missed significant practice with back pain.

Decker has had two surgeries to repair a Lisfranc injury, involving a ligament in the arch of the foot, and had arthroscopic knee surgery in 2008 to go with rib, shoulder and ankle injuries, along with a concussion while at Minnesota.

"You evaluate what you see," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "You see how the player has played when he's been on the field. You gather as much information as you can about his particular situation, and you make as informed a decision as possible."

For longtime Broncos fans, the name Paul Toviessi exemplifies potential failure in evaluating injured players.

Former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan made Toviessi, a defensive lineman from Marshall, the team's second-round pick of the 2001 draft despite a history of knee difficulties in college. Toviessi had multiple surgeries that failed to repair the joint, and he never played a game for the Broncos.
"It's always a question for the doctors," said Shanahan, now coach of the Washington Redskins. "I've seen guys recover from serious things and play 10 years, and some do not. You can't know for sure, but you listen to the doctors, look at the information and you make the call."

Every NFL franchise has doctors on call to look at every conceivable injury, as well as a full training staff. Every team has its full medical and training staff on hand to examine every draft prospect invited to the scouting combine in Indianapolis. Any player who has had surgery is sent to a local medical center for any additional X-rays or magnetic resonance imaging exams.

"No question, I would say it's one of the more important things we do there," Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith said. "The interviews are important, the workouts are important, but the medical information is a key part of the evaluation."

Shanahan always has been regarded as one of the bigger risk takers. Teams such as the Redskins, Broncos, Patriots and Bengals are more apt to take a risk on a player dealing with an injury because those teams have head coaches who are the primary decision-makers in the personnel department.

The Broncos have taken a conservative approach with Thomas and Decker so far. Neither has participated in the full team workouts, and McDaniels said they won't be rushed to get on the field.

"We're going to err on the side of being real careful and not putting them in a situation where it's the last day of minicamp on June 13th and all of a sudden there's a broken foot," McDaniels said. "If there's a guy borderline ready, we're not going to push it."

Decker said that's fine with him.

"You listen to the doctors, listen to what they say," he said. "If they tell you you'll make a full recovery, that it's going to be fine, you work as hard as you can to get back. You always want to push it, get back sooner and play, but you have to be smart."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15191024

Softskull
05-31-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure why you've highlighted the Shanny part of that article. Risky decisions have occured long before Shanny and will again long after McDaniels.

Lonestar
05-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Because somefolks think mikey never did wrong.

Needs to be reinforced that he screwed the pooch almost every DAFT he was invovled with.

No doubt they would have placed a bigger emphasis on taking thomas as a broken player without that reminder.

So get used to me reminding folks that Josh is no worse than mikey was.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Softskull
05-31-2010, 03:59 PM

I hope you're wrong

broncobryce
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
The thing is too Dez Bryant didn't work out at the combine due to injury and has already been limited in practice so if we went that direction we would be in a similar boat. I think Thomas will be fine. It sucks that he's not in there right now learning the offense, but I'm sure he's getting the most out of the mental reps he can. From what I understand Deck was first for WR in the wonderlic and Thomas was second.
It does appear our offense may get off to a slow start to the season, along with our schedule being tougher early, I expect us to start slow, and hopefully finish strong. That would be a nice change I guess. I'm sick of sucking balls at the end of the year.

underrated29
05-31-2010, 04:12 PM
I hate the offseason.

Softskull
05-31-2010, 04:50 PM
No doubt they would have placed a bigger emphasis on taking thomas as a broken player without that reminder.

That seems like a pre-emptive strike on your part.

Regardless, from the SI Peter King article, March 16:

2. While working out just before the NFL Scouting Combine on Feb. 16 in Arizona, Thomas cracked a bone in his right foot doing what they call the three-cone drill. He had surgery Feb. 21, and in the 23 days since, he's been going through a gauntlet of medical treatments designed to get him ready to run for NFL scouts before April 15, the date teams have to stop working out players before the draft.

The normal time for a fifth metatarsal bone to heal and for an average person to be back running and jumping on it is at least 12 weeks. The medics at Athletes Performance Institute in Arizona overseeing Thomas' rehab are trying to patch him up and have him ready to sprint in seven.

Since Thomas had the surgury, he should have been sprinting six-eight weeks ago. This isn't a comment on the draft strategy, more a concern that a very expensive player is behind on his rehab.

silkamilkamonico
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Broncos, like other NFL teams, evaluate risks of taking injured players
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/30/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
Decker has had two surgeries to repair a Lisfranc injury, involving a ligament in the arch of the foot, and had arthroscopic knee surgery in 2008 to go with rib, shoulder and ankle injuries, along with a concussion while at Minnesota.

Holy shit! Get this man a wheel chair.

Dirk
06-01-2010, 05:29 AM

:lol: No kidding!

TXBRONC
06-01-2010, 09:27 AM

I like what I here about Decker's talent but just the way that report reads it could make a person wonder if he'll be able to handle the rigors of the NFL. OTOH it doesn't say how playing time he missed if any. He played through those other injuries (Lisfranc injury cost him playing time I think) then he's tough as nails.

arapaho2
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM

there lies the problem...when you fire a coach and select his replacement...you expect him to be a better coach than his predecessor....josh is no worse than shanny as you say.

but he also hasnt proved even for a second he's better than shanny

underrated29
06-01-2010, 11:42 AM

I like what I here about Decker's talent but just the way that report reads it could make a person wonder if he'll be able to handle the rigors of the NFL. OTOH it doesn't say how playing time he missed if any. He played through those other injuries (Lisfranc injury cost him playing time I think) then he's tough as nails.

Thats why coachaz was soo pissed about us drafting him. He does not think decker will last with us. When we could have had his boy taylor price. I like decker. Hopefully he can stay healthy or if not at least bounce back after all of them quickly.

silkamilkamonico
06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Thats why coachaz was soo pissed about us drafting him. He does not think decker will last with us. When we could have had his boy taylor price. I like decker. Hopefully he can stay healthy or if not at least bounce back after all of them quickly.

I like Decker. I think he has an outstanding skillset and feel at the position as far as getting open and using his body. I do not feel comfortable about his ability to stay healthy though, and I'm more praying then hoping that he can stay healthy. I'm not a fan of Price. I've seen a few Ohio games over the years and he reminds me a lot of Troy Willliamson, where he's just flat out faster then his DB in college. He's a very soft WR and I can see him having problems with the jam at the LOS. I think in general the NFL is going to be to physical for him. Just my opinion on the guy.

arapaho2
06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
funny how we went from the pride of having two of the most promising young wrs in the game with marshall and royal in 08...to hopeing our draft picks pan out over injuries concerns by 2010

Lonestar
06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
there lies the problem...when you fire a coach and select his replacement...you expect him to be a better coach than his predecessor....josh is no worse than shanny as you say.

Just for jollies how many games has he had to shuffle the almost complete new deck(players), dealers(coaches), and last but not least scheme.

Considering the lack of talent on the LOS in particular. Most LOGICAL folks think he did pretty damned good considering the time he had to do it so far.

Now I know you loved mikey and jay so your never going to like Josh so not even sure Why I bother trying to explain it to a hater.

TXBRONC
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM

It's inevitable that players are going to beat during the coarse of the season. So while the laundry list of injuries that Decker had looks bad but it doesn't tell us how much time he missed because injury. IIRC the only injury mentioned that cost time on the field was the Lisfranc injury. That doesn't mean the other injuries didn't sided line him but it doesn't mean they did either. Anyway I like the kid too, and I hope he can stay healthy.

TXBRONC
06-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Exactly, the idea is to get better. There was a lot moaning and bitching about Shanahan drafting injured players but now it's ok. That seems to me to be a bit hypocritical.

arapaho2
06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Just for jollies how many games has he had to shuffle the almost complete new deck(players), dealers(coaches), and last but not least scheme.

Considering the lack of talent on the LOS in particular. Most LOGICAL folks think he did pretty damned good considering the time he had to do it so far.

Now I know you loved mikey and jay so your never going to like Josh so not even sure Why I bother trying to explain it to a hater.

pot meet kettle...wasnt you the president of the "shanny can do no right club?...yea thought so

tell me how many times did shanny have to shuffle the deck?...how many starters on offense or defense from the 05 team started on the 06 team...07...08?

but hey if taking what was the 2nd ranked oline in the game and reducing them to " lack of talent"...is doing good...then no one can help you

Lonestar
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
funny how we went from the pride of having two of the most promising young wrs in the game with marshall and royal in 08...to hopeing our draft picks pan out over injuries concerns by 2010

IIRC we still have one of those "best" young WR in Eddie and now have potentially the best WR size and speed wise coming out of this draft plus. A possesion type perhaps never equaled coming out of college. With only 3 let me repeat that THREE drop while in college with 384 passes thrown to him.

That means he catches something like 99.15% of the throws to him.

You do not see some real possibilities over a loud mouth, wife beater that almost lead the league in targeted pass as well as suspension time.

Just what are your expectaions anyway.

Never mind as they aren't realistic anyway.

Lonestar
06-01-2010, 04:38 PM
pot meet kettle...wasnt you the president of the "shanny can do no right club?...yea thought so

tell me how many times did shanny have to shuffle the deck?...how many starters on offense or defense from the 05 team started on the 06 team...07...08?

but hey if taking what was the 2nd ranked oline in the game and reducing them to " lack of talent"...is doing good...then no one can help you

Yep that #2 ranked offense certainly got us a lombardi. Right ?

Just the #2 rated O between the 20's but I guess that is what your looking for.

Let's see in a few years how many of Joshes first day Draftees are still with the team to make it to there second contract. Unlike mikey had about 3 for the years 1999-2005.

Mikey averaged about 2 TC camps before they were gone. Most were gone by the end of their third one.

AHAHAHAHAHA

arapaho2
06-01-2010, 04:42 PM
IIRC we still have one of those "best" young WR in Eddie and now have potentially the best WR size and speed wise coming out of this draft plus. A possesion type perhaps never equaled coming out of college. With only 3 let me repeat that THREE drop while in college with 384 passes thrown to him.

That means he catches something like 99.15% of the throws to him.

You do not see some real possibilities over a loud mouth, wife beater that almost lead the league in targeted pass as well as suspension time.

Just what are your expectaions anyway.

Never mind as they aren't realistic anyway.

when did we draft dez???

yes decker catches balls thrown to him...saddly orton is our qb...and if decker is beyond 10 yards...likely to never get much of a look from kyle

ps...99.7 would entail the qb putting the ball in a catchable spot every time....not gonna happen in the pros..talk about unrealistic:coffee:

arapaho2
06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Yep that #2 ranked offense certainly got us a lombardi. Right ?

Just the #2 rated O between the 20's but I guess that is what your looking for.

Let's see in a few years how many of Joshes first day Draftees are still with the team to make it to there second contract. Unlike mikey had about 3 for the years 1999-2005.

Mikey averaged about 2 TC camps before they were gone. Most were gone by the end of their third one.

AHAHAHAHAHA

yes it got us two of them...remember?

the issue wasnt the offense or the qb...it was the 6 consecutive rbs going to ir and slowicks terrible defense

nolan fixed the defense...what did mcd fix again?

ps notice i said oline...not offense

Lonestar
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I know it is not vogue to give a head coach a while to re make the team.

But I was a faithful mike fan until I noticed his 2003 EOY year speech was verbatim as the 02 speech. Then the 04 was slightlty different. It went from a few players to 2 IIRC that we lacked to be a contender.

That was when I un become a mikey fan. The moment of truth hit me that he was not going fix the LOS which has been our achiles heel since the SB veterans retired.

But hey if Y'all are good with his bovine excrement let it rip.

I'm going to give this kid about the same time I did mikey before NOT beliveing he knows what he is doing.

So far other than not playing Hillis last year I like what I see from his moves.

Till then I will support him and his Players.

Just do not understand why any one else hates him so much other than bm, jay or mikey envy/love.

arapaho2
06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I know it is not vogue to give a head coach a while to re make the team.

But I was a faithful mike fan until I noticed his 2003 EOY year speech was verbatim as the 02 speech. Then the 04 was slightlty different. It went from a few players to 2 IIRC that we lacked to be a contender.

That was when I un become a mikey fan. The moment of truth hit me that he was not going fix the LOS which has been our achiles heel since the SB veterans retired.

But hey if Y'all are good with his bovine excrement let it rip.

I'm going to give this kid about the same time I did mikey before NOT beliveing he knows what he is doing.

So far other than not playing Hillis last year I like what I see from his moves.

Just do not understand why any one else hates him so much other than bm, jay or mikey envy/love.

where did i ever once say i hate the man?....i get it, moreof jr's..if you dont follow my thinking then your a hater routine

i dont hate...i just dont like what i see so far..until his ways show results...im not buying blindly

Lonestar
06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
where did i ever once say i hate the man?....i get it, moreof jr's..if you dont follow my thinking then your a hater routine

i dont hate...i just dont like what i see so far..until his ways show results...im not buying blindly

Did I point that post at you, most have a guilty conscience ?

Feel how you want about the guy, I could care less.

The remaining still holds true.

arapaho2
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM

no guilt here junior...i dont let childish names hurt me....call me hater all you want if it help you to sleep at night or get a date

jrelway
06-02-2010, 11:40 PM

what holds true is you keep on bringing shanny and cutler up in alot of your posts. you even highlighted the part that bashed shanny. just let them go man.

Lonestar
06-03-2010, 12:02 AM
what holds true is you keep on bringing shanny and cutler up in alot of your posts. you even highlighted the part that bashed shanny. just let them go man.

Guess I'll let it slide when others stop bashing Josh just because he I not mikey and doing the O or running the TEAM like he would have.

Pat brought the kid in to CHANGE the culture. And attitude of the TEAM.

Had he wanted status quo on O he would have hired a top notch GM and in turn who would have hired a legit DC to run the D and mikey could do what he does best be an OC.

But Pat must have wanted a change so he got someone that was highly touted and I suspect told them how he was going to turn the team into a TEAM.

Little did anyone know that the Divas could not handle not getting their hands held and could not accept that mikey was gone and so was any side deals he might have alluded to them.

Suddenly we had someone that was not going to stroke them and tell them they had a JOB for life. Told them the best player would be starting and if HE could upgrade their position to create compettition it would happen and they would have to be the best to play.