PDA

View Full Version : Good draft review

haroldthebarrel
05-25-2008, 04:58 PM
This is from the guy I really respect his opinion.

I love how he goes out on a limb and voices his opinion instead of copping out say what all the "experts" like Kiper says.

He usually nails it a lot with his "player who will outplay their draft position" as well.
Enjoy!
http://www.900footballlinks.net/broncosframe.htm

It is cool place as well with his summary of combine/proday stats.
Interesting to note how we nearly disregard the short shuttle but on the other hand really pay respect to the cone and ten yard split.
Spencer Larsens cone drill was really very good for any linebacker. So he might be better than I thought in the pro going sideline to sideline, scraping and strafing.
The latter has after some research convinced me that is one of the more important stat, and certainly a lot more important than the forty.

Another really interesting fact with the combine and pro day stats are how many really good athletes we took.
Not to mention how good an athlete Woodward really is, and along with Spencer I think we really should find a decent linebacker so late in the draft.

TXBRONC
05-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure he is right about Royal. I think it's possible that he could be a starting wide receiver. Steve Smith is 5'9" and 185 lbs and he's a number one wide receiver.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I always love his takes. I think that Eddie Royal has starting potential as an SE in our offense, but it's clear that he's going to be a great option in the slot at the very worst. Either way, I'm glad he's here to help on multiple levels One thing you can see from the draft board he has is that all of our players worked out extremely, extremely well at the combine. Rather interesting, and a great read. Hopefully Larsen pans out like he thinks he will, that'd be excellent.

Thanks for the read too. :beer:

slim
05-25-2008, 09:48 PM
He gave Woodyard a second or third round grade. I know a few people here felt the same way.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
I disagree w/ Powell being a Nickel guy. W/ his run D stats, I highly doubt he was drafted for passing downs.

hamrob
05-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Take a look at Tyler Polumbus in comparrison to Clady. Not bad for a guy that wasn't drafted. If he pans out...we may have bookends for many years to come!

TXBRONC
05-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Take a look at Tyler Polumbus in comparrison to Clady. Not bad for a guy that wasn't drafted. If he pans out...we may have bookends for many years to come!

That could depend on what happens with Kuper, Harris, and Pears.

I think Kuper is going to be our starting right tackle for years to come.

BOSSHOGG30
05-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Jay Goldberg, 900FootballLinks.NET - I'll hold off final judgment until after the Combine, but I don't have Cutler close to Young and Leinhart. In fact, I like Rodgers and Campbell (last year) better than Cutler.

wonder if he still feels this way?

omac
05-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Great read, Haroldthebarrell! :salute:

Cugel
05-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Actually, read his posts for 2006. He hit the nail on the head when he said that Marshall "will be a star in this league in 3 years." He's looking (injury aside) like he will succeed in becoming a top 10 WR for years to come -- and for all the reasons he lists: strong hands, exceptional speed and size, will fight for the ball, good moves downfield, etc.

So, this gives him some credibility with regard to his analysis. (On the other hand, he had Brandon Browner as a 2nd round value. I guess you can't always be right). :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
05-26-2008, 12:43 PM
A lot of people thought Brandon Browner was going to go extremely high.

underrated29
05-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I like this guy- so far pretty good job!

I think royal will be much more than a slot receiver though. I like the steve smith thing, but he seems more like a lee evans to me when tracking the ball down field.

I think if wes welker and lee evans had a kid it would be royal.

Hope i am right.

TXBRONC
05-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Actually, read his posts for 2006. He hit the nail on the head when he said that Marshall "will be a star in this league in 3 years." He's looking (injury aside) like he will succeed in becoming a top 10 WR for years to come -- and for all the reasons he lists: strong hands, exceptional speed and size, will fight for the ball, good moves downfield, etc.

So, this gives him some credibility with regard to his analysis. (On the other hand, he had Brandon Browner as a 2nd round value. I guess you can't always be right). :coffee:

Kiper is supposedly one of the best in the buiness of evaluating talent yet he's not always right.

topscribe
05-26-2008, 04:30 PM
That could depend on what happens with Kuper, Harris, and Pears.

I think Kuper is going to be our starting right tackle for years to come.

I'm hoping Harris or Pears comes through. I believe the Broncos are going to
need someone of Kuper's caliber at LG soon . . . maybe this year.

Actually, Clady is not the only one the Broncos have who is noted for his
quick feet. Harris has that gift, too, although probably not to Clady's degree.
If Harris' back has fully recovered, he possibly could become a sterling RT for
the Broncos. At worst, Pears seemed to steadily improve at the position.

BTW, while everyone is worried about Jack Williams 5'9" stature, has
anyone here noticed his 41" vertical leap? :shocked:

-----

topscribe
05-26-2008, 04:33 PM
A lot of people thought Brandon Browner was going to go extremely high.

Clarett was fairly well thought of in some circles, too.

But, if my memory serves me correctly, some of the experts had Cutler rated
over Leinart and Young by draft time.

So sometimes they're right, and sometimes they're wrong. But more often right,
it seems, anyway.

-----

haroldthebarrel
05-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I am not an expert but I was relatively wrong on Cutler.
Not that I didnt want him, I just loved Young a whole lot more and I thought Leinhardt and Cutler was about the same.
After we took Cutler I learned a lesson to not be so vocal unless you have studied some.
after I studied some Cutler vandy tapes I was mighty impressed. In fact the one thing I knocked him on was that he does have a lot of tipped passes unnecessasily.

I am usually pretty good at looking at the defensive line though, so we'll see. I said on draft day that we should have taken Laws.
it still annoys me how i screamed at us to trade up for Harris.

And thats why I like his reports. He says his own opinion. He doesnt wait on pro scouts contacts to fill him in. Then, he may be wrong, but at least he sticks it out there.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Clarett was fairly well thought of in some circles, too.

Not really. Chris Mortenson reported before the draft that over 75% of the teams in the league had taken Clarett off their boards. In fact, Dallas is the only other team who I remember coming out and saying they were going to take him if he was available. We took Clarett with our compensatory, they got Marion Barber III with their fourth rounder. Dallas and Denver are the only two teams I even recall having interest in drafting Clarett somewhat early in the draft.

topscribe
05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Not really. Chris Mortenson reported before the draft that over 75% of the teams in the league had taken Clarett off their boards. In fact, Dallas is the only other team who I remember coming out and saying they were going to take him if he was available. We took Clarett with our compensatory, they got Marion Barber III with their fourth rounder. Dallas and Denver are the only two teams I even recall having interest in drafting Clarett somewhat early in the draft.

Yes, really. Notice I said Clarett was fairly thought of in some circles.

Here is a little tidbit on the very page cited in this thread:

Gil Brant of NFL.com reports: Clarett really looked good catching the football at his workout. Bengals running backs coach Jim Anderson conducted the drills

Colin Lindsay of GBNReport.com reports: The 'rehabilitation of former Ohio State RB Maurice Clarett's draft prospects that is. After impressing NFL personnel people with what appeared to be a better attitude earlier in the week, Clarett fell apart at yesterday's RB workouts at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Clarett clunkered down the 40-yard track, timing out in over 4.80 in his first heat, and then barely cracking the 4.70 mark in a second run. Then rather than trying to make amends in the agility drills, Clarett packed his bags and went home.

ESPNews reports: RB Maurice Clarett plans to go through all of the workouts at the NFL Combine. Clarett noted that he feels he has better work ethic, despite having not played football in more than two years. Provided he is happy with the results of his combine workouts, he does not plan to work out again before the NFL Draft.

Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com reports: NFL Draft prospect RB Maurice Clarett showed up at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis at a muscular 234 pounds, as opposed to the soft 237 pounds he was at during last year's Combine. "I did a lot more weight lifting, a lot more strength training and things like that," Clarett said. "I weighed in today at 234 but it's a lot different from last year." Clarett also said he has been humbled by his experiences since leaving Ohio State two years ago. "I don't want to say I was humble in the past all the time, I might have said some things to the media I shouldn't have said and things like that."

FROM 2004 DRAFT WRITE-UP

Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com reports: Clarett had a solid, not spectacular, individual workout Monday, April 5, at the Ohio State University athletic complex. The workout will likely make Clarett a first-day selection in April's draft. "He answered some questions, for sure, and he's probably a first-day guy now," one scout from an AFC team said. "He moved better than I thought he would and he had a better change of direction than I had seen on tape. Plus he caught the ball well. I could see him maybe going in the second (round) now. Probably no worse than the third (round)." Clarett was timed in the 4.58-4.59 second range in the 40-yard dash, performed 19 "repetitions" of the standard 225-pound bench press, had a 36½-inch vertical jump and registered a long jump of 9 feet, 6 inches. In addition, the running back that played just one year of college ball dropped only a single pass during receiving drills.I'm not extolling the guy's virtues. I'm just reporting what happened, that's all.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
You're taking those tidbits out of context a great deal. Considering they're talking about him either looking good at drills, or in some cases -- very poor overall at drills, that shows nothing about how talent evaluators really felt about him as a player. A player could do well in drills, but still have serious character issues. That's why, as reported -- Clarett was taken off most teams boards.

In fact, one of those quotes you brought up didn't even mentioned anything about how good or good he didn't look, it just stated his intentions for working out.

From those quotes, this is what I see:

Gil Brant reports Clarett caught the ball well.
Colin Lindsay seems to think he stunk it up big time.
Geoff Hobson reports he looks to be more muscular.
Len Pasquarelli stated he had a decent workout.

I'm not sure how reporting how he did at his workouts signifies how any team or anyone close to league circles felt about him as a player. They identified what happened, not what they thought of them. I think it's pretty clear that when you're removed from almost all the team's boards in the NFL; that he wasn't thought of very highly.

topscribe
05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
You're taking those tidbits out of context a great deal. Considering they're talking about him either looking good at drills, or in some cases -- very poor overall at drills, that shows nothing about how talent evaluators really felt about him as a player. A player could do well in drills, but still have serious character issues. That's why, as reported -- Clarett was taken off most teams boards.

In fact, one of those quotes you brought up didn't even mentioned anything about how good or good he didn't look, it just stated his intentions for working out.

From those quotes, this is what I see:
Gil Brant reports Clarett caught the ball well.
Colin Lindsay seems to think he stunk it up big time.
Geoff Hobson reports he looks to be more muscular.
Len Pasquarelli stated he had a decent workout.I'm not sure how reporting how he did at his workouts signifies how any team or anyone close to league circles felt about him as a player. They identified what happened, not what they thought of them. I think it's pretty clear that when you're removed from almost all the team's boards in the NFL; that he wasn't thought of very highly.

They're generally positive reports.

Why do you always have to take issue with me when I simply reproduce
what somebody wrote?

What the hell is the matter with you?? Get into a pissing contest with
somebody else. I'm not interested.

Damn. :tsk:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-26-2008, 07:18 PM
They're generally positive reports.

Why do you always have to take issue with me when I simply reproduce
what somebody wrote?

What the hell is the matter with you?? Get into a pissing contest with
somebody else. I'm not interested.

Damn. :tsk:

-----

It's not taking issue with you, it's taking issue with a false statement. He wasn't thought about highly in league circles (hence being taken off almost every teams board) and bringing up five comments (one which was negative, one that had to do with intentions and three that talked being decent in drills or muscular) don't prove that teams thought highly of him.

Once again, providing three quotes that show that he was muscular and caught the ball well doesn't provide any proof that he was thought of highly in league circles. That's what I'm getting at. There are plenty of players who work out well, but still aren't considered quality players or thought highly of. I'm not sure why you're misinterpreting reports on workouts for being indicators of league circles thinking highly of MC; when that clearly wasn't the case.

*shrugs*