PDA

View Full Version : Selvin Young Thread

Pages : [1] 2

topscribe
05-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Mile High Report (http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/5/22/533975/denver-broncos-quarterback) says that Young has added 15 pounds to his shoulders and
legs over the offseason, as he promised he was going to do.

Since he was listed at 207 last year, that would put him at about 220 lbs. :shocked:

Has Young turned into a bruiser with speed?

Stay tuned . . .

-----

G_Money
05-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Only if he can get tackled without injuring something.

~G

Nature Boy
05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Can't wait to see him at 220lbs. Will the speed remain?

nj10
05-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I hope he gets a starting opportunity...

Nature Boy
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Would this outcome have been different had he weighed 220lbs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPSKVBHSes0&feature=related

SmilinAssasSin27
05-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I sure hope so. Would be nice to see him more stable w/ his health.

BroncoBuff
05-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Reminds me of Portis ... a fragile Portis.

I think we're in for BIG things with Selvin.

ApaOps5
05-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Lets just hope that 15 pounds doesn't slow him up. Good for him though. While Henry was spreading his seed Young was banging iron!

elsid13
05-22-2008, 07:33 PM
More likely it less then 10 pounds.

claymore
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Only if he can get tackled without injuring something.

~G

He is our most durable back. :D If Henry Sharts, he is out 3 weeks.

topscribe
05-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Lets just hope that 15 pounds doesn't slow him up. Good for him though. While Henry was spreading his seed Young was banging iron!

Well, if he isn't quite as fast, that won't bother me. Who wants a speed
burner who mimics a ping-pong ball at the LOS? If he can bust it up the gut
and make some defenders feel it, I'll be happy.

He'll still be fast, anyway . . . faster than Henry or Torain. I like the kid, have
from the start. We know he can run, and he can catch, and he's not afraid to
block and hit someone. He just needed a few pounds. Well, he's got them now.

I think he's going to surprise some people this year.

-----

honz
05-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Banging iron? That sounds painful!;)

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here, but I saw a little piece about Selvin on First Take this morning. They said that Selvin's goals for this season are to run for 2000 yards and to make the Pro Bowl...and while I don't really think that 2000 yards is a realistic goal, you've got to love the fact that he believes in his abilities and believes that he can do big things in this league.

I just hope Selvin can stay healthy this year!:beer:

Day1BroncoFan
05-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Go Selvin!!! :elefant:

Inkana7
05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Selvin's a stud. I love him. His game against the Vikings convinced me he can be a star in this league.

WhatEver!!!
05-22-2008, 08:07 PM
If he did gain 15lbs then he should be more durable. And with the technology we have today he most like went to an expert who worked him out to allow him to keep most of his speed with added muscle. I can not wait til I see him run over a few people this year and make break a few tackles; not to mention ankles :)

topscribe
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM
If he did gain 15lbs then he should be more durable. And with the technology we have today he most like went to an expert who worked him out to allow him to keep most of his speed with added muscle. I can not wait til I see him run over a few people this year and make break a few tackles; not to mention ankles :)

Provided it isn't his own . . . again. :s:

-----

WhatEver!!!
05-22-2008, 08:13 PM
True so so so sadly true

topscribe
05-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Banging iron? That sounds painful!;)

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on here, but I saw a little piece about Selvin on First Take this morning. They said that Selvin's goals for this season are to run for 2000 yards and to make the Pro Bowl...and while I don't really think that 2000 yards is a realistic goal, you've got to love the fact that he believes in his abilities and believes that he can do big things in this league.

I just hope Selvin can stay healthy this year!:beer:

Well you know, he did run for 729 yards in limited action last year.

2,000 probably is a reach, but . . . you never know.

Who would have thought a 6th round selection would have run for 2,000?

-----

Rick
05-22-2008, 08:16 PM
If he could play 16 games vs the Chiefs that be heaven :)

In his 2 games vs them last year 37 rushes, 265 yards, 7.16 average.

He likes them Chiefs :)

WhatEver!!!
05-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Everybody liked playing the Chiefs last year :laugh:

honz
05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Well you know, he did run for 729 yards in limited action last year.

2,000 probably is a reach, but . . . you never know.

Who would have thought a 6th round selection would have run for 2,000?

-----
It's not that I doubt his abilities...it's more that I don't think he will get enough carries to even sniff 2000 yards with all of the RBs we have.

I love Selvin, though, and hope he surprises us all this year.

topscribe
05-22-2008, 08:42 PM
It's not that I doubt his abilities...it's more that I don't think he will get enough carries to even sniff 2000 yards with all of the RBs we have.

I love Selvin, though, and hope he surprises us all this year.

Except that Shanny has never liked the RBC approach, even though he has
had to resort to it at times in the past. Of course, that was usually from the
lack of talent. This year, it might make sense from the glut of talent. We
can hope, anyway, can't we? :beer:

-----

LRtagger
05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes!

tubby
05-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Full time starter? I like Torians chances better than Youngs. Good change of pace guy though.

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I glad he added the muscle but that wont necessarily make him more durable.

topscribe
05-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Full time starter? I like Torians chances better than Youngs. Good change of pace guy though.

Okay well, I guess we can cancel training camp.

The roster is set now. :coffee:

-----

tubby
05-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Okay well, I guess we can cancel training camp.

The roster is set now. :coffee:

-----
relax. just my opinion.

:huh:

topscribe
05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
relax. just my opinion.

:huh:

Just giving you a hard time, brother! http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thwink.gif

-----

DenBronx
05-23-2008, 12:35 AM
is this 15 pounds of fat or 15 pounds of muscle?

topscribe
05-23-2008, 01:00 AM
is this 15 pounds of fat or 15 pounds of muscle?

The source said he gained in his shoulders and legs. Sounds like muscle. Which
I'm sure it is. I'm sure, knowing speed is his strength, Young wouldn't take the
chance in gaining it in body fat.

Didn't bother me that I did, though. Seems I can type as fast as before. :coffee:

-----

Timmy!
05-23-2008, 05:44 AM
I like Young, but...umm...10-12 carries a game MAX. This guy couldn't even carry the load at Texas, let alone for the Broncos. There's a reason he was undrafted. Let him prove me wrong. Seriously though people, 15 pounds? Big friggin deal. As of right now, he's a change of pace back with durability issues. End of discussion. Saying he's anything more at this point is wishful thinking. Babies daddy=#1 back on day 1. Hate him or not, you can put me on record for it.

TXBRONC
05-23-2008, 07:07 AM
I like Young, but...umm...10-12 carries a game MAX. This guy couldn't even carry the load at Texas, let alone for the Broncos. There's a reason he was undrafted. Let him prove me wrong. Seriously though people, 15 pounds? Big friggin deal. As of right now, he's a change of pace back with durability issues. End of discussion. Saying he's anything more at this point is wishful thinking. Babies daddy=#1 back on day 1. Hate him or not, you can put me on record for it.

15 pounds is quite a bit of weight but as you pointed his durability is still in question until he proves otherwise.

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 08:14 AM
It's great that he worked hard and added some muscle. I hope it helps him to be less fragile, but I still don't think he's anything more than a complimentary back in the NFL. If the RB's can stay healthy through camp, the RB competition should be fun to watch.

Beantown Bronco
05-23-2008, 08:28 AM
There's a reason he was undrafted.

Man, I love this argument.

Sounds great until you realize there are more undreafted guys playing in the NFL today than there are 5th, 6th and 7th rounders put together.

LRtagger
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
15lbs is a LOT of muscle mass...it could definately increase his durability if he runs smart. Only time will tell.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Sounds great until you realize there are more undreafted guys playing in the NFL today than there are 5th, 6th and 7th rounders put together.

mmmhhmmm cuz thats a great argument in itself :rolleyes:

a team usually has what 1 pick in each of those rounds usually we'll say, maybe 2 but a team picks up 5-10+ UFA. you tell me which has better odds :laugh:

ok but back to selvin. what do you guys think the chances are that this hurts his stock with the team.

i mean is it possible that he could be the odd man out if he has lost speed, we already have henry and torain as our main everydown backs so it seems (or possibly henry gets cut). but anyways why have 3 not so fast guys on the roster. maybe this is opening the door for Hall or maybe even a slight chance for alridge to make the roster

G_Money
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
On a serious note, I would LOVE for Selvin to have gained 15 pounds of muscle that he can keep on all year, to make him a more punishing and healthier runner while still keeping his good speed.

But I was skeptical of Young as an every down back when he got to us, and nothing I saw last year convinced me otherwise.

I'd still give him his 15 carries and try to keep him healthy, and if the muscle helps do that, helps him with his blocking and his short-yardage game then that's great.

I hope for it.

~G

HolyDiver
05-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Mile High Report (http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/5/22/533975/denver-broncos-quarterback) says that Young has added 15 pounds to his shoulders and
legs over the offseason, as he promised he was going to do.

Since he was listed at 207 last year, that would put him at about 220 lbs. :shocked:

Has Young turned into a bruiser with speed?

Stay tuned . . .

-----

I can't wait to see Young shut some mouths around here.

HolyDiver
05-23-2008, 11:32 AM
On a serious note, I would LOVE for Selvin to have gained 15 pounds of muscle that he can keep on all year, to make him a more punishing and healthier runner while still keeping his good speed.

But I was skeptical of Young as an every down back when he got to us, and nothing I saw last year convinced me otherwise.

I'd still give him his 15 carries and try to keep him healthy, and if the muscle helps do that, helps him with his blocking and his short-yardage game then that's great.

I hope for it.

~G

He had games last year with 25 touches..............one game I can remember he had 23 carries not counting receptions...............There has never been a doubt in my mind about Young.

topscribe
05-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Yup. There's a reason Rod Smith,Tyrone Braxton, and Matt Lepsis were undrafted . . .

-----

Beantown Bronco
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM

a team usually has what 1 pick in each of those rounds usually we'll say, maybe 2 but a team picks up 5-10+ UFA. you tell me which has better odds :laugh:

Roll your eyes all you want. You just made my argument for me.

Teams have an average of 5 picks between rounds 5, 6 and 7 every year (because of comp picks the league awards each year). So if they pick up even 10 undrafted free agents, it's basically an even swap....considering guys that were drafted should carry more weight than a guy who is undrafted (you pay them more, they get more reps in camp/preseason, etc). The odds are actually stacked in favor of the drafted guys cause undrafted guys have to do more with their limited reps and coaching....period.

HolyDiver
05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Yup. There's a reason Rod Smith,Tyrone Braxton, and Matt Lepsis were undrafted . . .

-----

Braxton was a 12th round pick.

topscribe
05-23-2008, 11:38 AM

ok but back to selvin. what do you guys think the chances are that this hurts his stock with the team.

i mean is it possible that he could be the odd man out if he has lost speed, we already have henry and torain as our main everydown backs so it seems (or possibly henry gets cut). but anyways why have 3 not so fast guys on the roster. maybe this is opening the door for Hall or maybe even a slight chance for alridge to make the roster

:confused: All the sudden, Young is a "not so fast" guy?

Wow. Before the season begins, they'll be visiting him at hospice . . .

-----

topscribe
05-23-2008, 11:39 AM

And Karl Mecklenburg. Today, both would have been undrafted free agents.

Thats the point.

I'm being distracted by a stupid little thing called work, so I am not able to
finish my posts as I would like. :D

-----

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 11:40 AM

-----

Along with Tony Romo, Curt Warner, Willie Parker, Priest Holmes, Wayne Chrebet, Antonio Gates, etc, etc, etc,

BroncoNut
05-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Torain, he'll be injured early if used much at all is my guess.

Rex
05-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Torain, he'll be injured early if used much at all is my guess.

Would you like me to send you pictures of these guys so you dont confuse them with Mike Shanahan?

SBboundBRONCOS
05-23-2008, 11:47 AM
:confused: All the sudden, Young is a "not so fast" guy?

Wow. Before the season begins, they'll be visiting him at hospice . . .

-----

ive never believed selvin to be fast, he was very quick and shifty though in my mind, thats why he never really broke for TDs,

but i was just throwing that up in the air just hypothetical that could gaining that 15 pounds slow him down just enough that it actually hurts his stock with the team

topscribe
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Would you like me to send you pictures of these guys so you dont confuse them with Mike Shanahan?

:confused: I thought you were Shanahan . . .

-----

BroncoNut
05-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Torain is black you moron. Mike Shanahan is Asian

tubby
05-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I can't wait to see Young shut some mouths around here.

Too bad we don't play the chiefs every week.

Hoshdude7
05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
He had to gain that weight.

EDITED FOR JACKASSERY

topscribe
05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
ive never believed selvin to be fast, he was very quick and shifty though in my mind, thats why he never really broke for TDs,

but i was just throwing that up in the air just hypothetical that could gaining that 15 pounds slow him down just enough that it actually hurts his stock with the team

When he ripped off those 35- and 50-yard runs, he looked plenty fast to me.
Several of his teammates last year said what they liked about him was he
could score from anywhere on the field. He will still be able to blow the doors
off Henry or Torain, in terms of pure speed. And, drawing from your own
implication, Young is still quicker than the others.

He very likely will be there when the season starts. I certainly can't see Bell
or Hall beating him out.

Besides, if Mike Anderson could score an 80-yard TD, then so can Young. :D

-----

SBboundBRONCOS
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Roll your eyes all you want. You just made my argument for me.

Teams have an average of 5 picks between rounds 5, 6 and 7 every year (because of comp picks the league awards each year). So if they pick up even 10 undrafted free agents, it's basically an even swap....considering guys that were drafted should carry more weight than a guy who is undrafted (you pay them more, they get more reps in camp/preseason, etc). The odds are actually stacked in favor of the drafted guys cause undrafted guys have to do more with their limited reps and coaching....period.

id say they are pretty much equal, at that point of the draft it just who do teams prefer and who goes to UFA probably not a big talent drop off either way

, 5th 6th and 7th rounders are not paid that much more than UFA im sure, they do NOT have high expectations from the coaches and most will be considered a decent pick if they contribute to STs

so i you gave me 5 picks on those drafted and 10 picks to those undrafted id take the 10 and hapily move on

topscribe
05-23-2008, 11:56 AM
He had to gain that weight. After last year's one carry for a fumble loss, he was well on his way out if he performed average or worse in training camp.

:confused: He ran for 5.2 yards a crack last year. That is not average.

Where are you guys getting all this stuff?

-----

BroncoJoe
05-23-2008, 11:57 AM
:confused: He ran for 5.2 yards a crack last year. That is not average.

Where are you guys getting all this stuff?

-----

I'm confused as well. Guess some people don't remember who our leading rusher was last year....

:confused:

LRtagger
05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I think he is thinking of Mike Bell who had 1 carry and 1 fumble in the chicago game last year

there is no chance in Young getting cut this year, but Mike Bell likely will be cut.

BroncoNut
05-23-2008, 12:02 PM
yeah, this is ridiculous. He performed well last year. 1 fumble loss shouldn't make or break a back's future with a team. comeon. I like this added weight. Maybe he will be the shifty between the tackles bruiser that Denver needs. He's got the athleticism and the burst to do so.

Rex
05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
yeah, this is ridiculous. He performed well last year. 1 fumble loss shouldn't make or break a back's future with a team. comeon. I like this added weight. Maybe he will be the shifty between the tackles bruiser that Denver needs. He's got the athleticism and the burst to do so.

You have no idea what you just said, do you?

BroncoNut
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
You have no idea what you just said, do you?

yeah I do cswil. I knew this was coming. I know more about this game than you are willing to give me credit for. You just think that I hear something and then regurgitate it, and that isnt' the case. I saw this young man last season, and I know what good strong running and vision are.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
When he ripped off those 35- and 50-yard runs, he looked plenty fast to me.
Several of his teammates last year said what they liked about him was he
could score from anywhere on the field. He will still be able to blow the doors
off Henry or Torain, in terms of pure speed. And, drawing from your own
implication, Young is still quicker than the others.

He very likely will be there when the season starts. I certainly can't see Bell
or Hall beating him out.

Besides, if Mike Anderson could score an 80-yard TD, then so can Young. :D

-----

its just a thought, but also i never saw him being able to score from anywhere on the field, sure he'd break a nice run but always he would be caught from behind, he had what 2TDs i think.

i just think its a possibility, i mean look how fast bell went out of style with about the same production (less yards more TDs)

Rex
05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
yeah I do cswil. I knew this was coming. I know more about this game than you are willing to give me credit for. You just think that I hear something and then regurgitate it, and that isnt' the case. I saw this young man last season, and I know what good strong running and vision are.

HD forced you to sit on his couch and watch S. Young highlight videos didnt he Nut. Admit it.

BroncoNut
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
HD forced you to sit on his couch and watch S. Young highlight videos didnt he Nut. Admit it.

no, I didn't mean the ms being asian, btw.

umm,.... whatever I did on HDs couch that weekend was ultimately my own decision

No, I watch this game Cs. I am no expert, but I know a few things. Selvin was pretty impressive to me last year

topscribe
05-23-2008, 12:14 PM
its just a thought, but also i never saw him being able to score from anywhere on the field, sure he'd break a nice run but always he would be caught from behind, he had what 2TDs i think.

i just think its a possibility, i mean look how fast bell went out of style with about the same production (less yards more TDs)

That is one thing I carefully tried to see on replays when he was tackled
downfield. I was satisfied that the defender had the angle on him.

But why do they need a 4.2 guy back there anyway? It would be nice . . . if
he was worth a hoot otherwise (which they seldom are) . . . but if he can rip
off a 35- or 50-yarder at the drop of a hat (helmet?), he will still strike fear
into the defense, won't he?

I'm really not concerned about his quickness or speed. As I mentioned, I
don't believe he is going to do anything to limit what he knows is his
strength. I'm more concerned whether he can bust it up between the
tackles. That will determine whether he has a chance of starting, won't it?

-----

SBboundBRONCOS
05-23-2008, 12:24 PM

off a 35- or 50-yarder at the drop of a hat (helmet?), he will still strike fear

-----

i completely agree, im just creating arguments . . . . i mean discussions :beer:

but none of know with this Shanahan Guy calling the plays :laugh:

i hope selvin wins the starting job (what about henry getting cut), because i was a big supporter of the fear in the backfield back in the draft. we dont need a guy to just get 3 yards, 4 yards, we need a guy who will take a huge lift of off Cutler by being able to put it in the endzone from a distance, making the D have to crowd the line of scrimmage just to guard against the threat in our backfield (whomever that may be)

but as long as he HAS kept ALL of his speed i think we could see somethign special from him, who knows. i just need this damn season to start

Broncospsycho77
05-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Good for Selvin. Hopefully, he stokes the coaches so much that he can play for the starting job during camp. Then, Henry will have to get off his lazy ass and work for his job again (though the coaches say he still has to), and he can improve himself as well.

Lonestar
05-23-2008, 05:00 PM

-----

All that take it to the house crap makes me want to vomit..

TD did a occasional but alot of that had to do with the OLINE being great.. Not being touched or having someone close to him till he was 5 yards down field made for a lot of wide open plays when they over committed..

Poorti$$$$ had real good speed but was also the product of a good OLINE with Gibbs coaching it..

tater well he had the speed but neither the OLINE or heart to "take it to the house"
Give me a grinder that can get me 4-5 yards every play and occasionally a long gainer s and frankly I do not care if he gets drug down from behind after 15-25 yards a couple of time a game..

How often does a "take it to the house" come along very few of them in the NFL at anyone given time and then they usually last a few years and get hurt.. Give me A Bettis guy anytime..

Timmy!
05-23-2008, 05:07 PM

I'd love to see a list to prove it. It's probably closer to 50/50. Also, undrafted players have the benefit of choosing the best situation for them out of the offers they receive. Everybody loves the story of the undrafted guy who becomes a star. For every 1 of those there are 50 others who don't even make a team out of training camp. I'd love Young to be an every down back. I just don't see it.

topscribe
05-23-2008, 05:13 PM

TD did a occasional but alot of that had to do with the OLINE being great.. Not being touched or having someone close to him till he was 5 yards down field made for a lot of wide open plays when they over committed..

Poorti$$$$ had real good speed but was also the product of a good OLINE with Gibbs coaching it..

tater well he had the speed but neither the OLINE or heart to "take it to the house"
Give me a grinder that can get me 4-5 yards every play and occasionally a long gainer s and frankly I do not care if he gets drug down from behind after 15-25 yards a couple of time a game..

How often does a "take it to the house" come along very few of them in the NFL at anyone given time and then they usually last a few years and get hurt.. Give me A Bettis guy anytime..

You know, you make some good points that got me to thinking. The Broncos
are a team heavily dependant on the running game. Run first, pass second.
It makes sense that they need big, strong, durable backs. To have Henry
and now Torain and Hillis might be a real blessing.

Other, pass-oriented teams might get away with sporting a smaller back,
but, while the Broncos' line does the finesse, zone blocking thing, the RB
plays smash mouth. That is the way it has been, from TD to Gary to
Droughns to MA. Even Portis found he had to mix it up in there if he was
going to run for us.

Young didn't have a chance at any kind of starting job before. Maybe he
still doesn't . . . I don't know . . . but those 15 pounds just increased his odds.

-----

nevcraw
05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Portis couldn't stay healthy, still can't.. He was flashy against bad run stopping teams but never showed up for big games.
From top to bottom the best running back since TD was MA and RD being a close second. They need a chain moving, 3-4 yds a pop road grader... Here's to hoping someone on the roster is that guy. I only wish shanny had not given Torrain the kiss of death with "he's got first round talent"..

dogfish
05-23-2008, 08:05 PM

you can have bettis-- i'll take an adrian peterson type, who can run over linebackers and run away from DBs. . .

i know, i know-- he's a once-every-generation talent, or better. . . . but hey, if we're in fantasy land, give me the guy who can do it all-- speed is NEVER a bad thing on the football field! that ideal size-speed combo is why i like jonathon stewart so much. . . explosive plays on offense don't upset my stomach at all. . . . ;)

Superchop 7
05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Selvin's a stud. I love him. His game against the Vikings convinced me he can be a star in this league.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

ABSOLUTELY......I saw the same game.

Look guys, it's not the speed that makes him special...It's the moves !!!!

Take a back like Hall, when he makes a move he slows down which puts him on even par with the defender. (because the defender will slow down to adjust to the move )

Young throws fakes with his shoulders but the legs keep churning. (giving him the advantage over the defender who has slowed a bit to adjust.....advantage Young)

The added muscle will definately help him. (F=MA)

Watchthemiddle
05-23-2008, 08:37 PM
WHether its Selvin, Henry, etc....if history repeats itself, all RB's and FB's are going to get a chance to carry the rock.

All I want is a guy who can stay on the field. We have a proven system, and guys have proven that they can be successful in it....they just have to stay on the field.

broncosfanscott
05-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Good for Selvin. Hopefully, he stokes the coaches so much that he can play for the starting job during camp. Then, Henry will have to get off his lazy ass and work for his job again (though the coaches say he still has to), and he can improve himself as well.

Hopefully some competition will be good for Henry.

Stargazer
05-24-2008, 04:41 AM
Reminds me of Portis ... a fragile Portis.

He's no Portis.

:coffee:

TXBRONC
05-24-2008, 06:04 AM

Same with Mecklenberg. Being a 12th round like those guys were years ago is much the same as going undrafted.

Superchop 7
05-24-2008, 06:17 AM
He's no Portis.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I agree....he seems to have a sense of fashion.

topscribe
05-24-2008, 11:13 AM
He's no Portis.

Why? Because you haven't seen enough of him, or are you just guessing?
Does the fact that he was an undrafted free agent bother you?

I guess that must have bothered some people about Rod Smith, too. :coffee:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Putting on weight doesn't stop the fact that he has an injury history dating back all the way to high school, furthermore a serious injury history. You can have a great build, but still be prone to injuries. Look at Courtney Brown. Good for Young though. I like this because it shows he's dedicated to the team and is shooting for the stars. He's working hard and that's admirable. Hopefully he stays healthy though. He has a ways to go, but he's a very nice role player for the team. I don't expect him to start for us, but coming off the bench toting the rock 10-12 times a game sounds good to me.

TXBRONC
05-24-2008, 10:37 PM

M. Bell had more touchdown because he was getting the ball in the red zone two years ago.

Scarface
05-25-2008, 09:13 AM
M. Bell had more touchdown because he was getting the ball in the red zone two years ago.

And he knew how to get the ball in the end zone.

nevcraw
05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=BroncoBuff;251582]Reminds me of Portis ... a fragile Portis.
QUOTE]

Fragile Portis is redundant. that's like saying a fragile fragile.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-25-2008, 11:36 AM
And he knew how to get the ball in the end zone.

exactly, not that i am a mike bell supporter but selvin had a lot of opportunities in the redzone as well and just didnt have the same results, and please dont bring the OL into this, because even with how bad they were i expect a lttle more than 1 redzone TD (i think it was 1 it could be 0 though)

Retired_Member_001
05-25-2008, 01:04 PM
exactly, not that i am a mike bell supporter but selvin had a lot of opportunities in the redzone as well and just didnt have the same results, and please dont bring the OL into this, because even with how bad they were i expect a lttle more than 1 redzone TD (i think it was 1 it could be 0 though)

How can you NOT bring the offensive line into this? They are soft, skinny and sickening. You can't deny that with a proper offensive line in front of him, Selvin Young would have done better. He never will be great at getting rough and tough yards, but he wouldn't be as pathetic as he looks right now.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-25-2008, 01:14 PM
How can you NOT bring the offensive line into this? They are soft, skinny and sickening. You can't deny that with a proper offensive line in front of him, Selvin Young would have done better. He never will be great at getting rough and tough yards, but he wouldn't be as pathetic as he looks right now.

im just trying to point out that i feel thateven if he had our 06-07 OL in front of him he wouldnt have scored 8 TDs, of which i dont know how many were redzone.

topscribe
05-25-2008, 01:58 PM

They were soft, skinny, and sickening. The ones coming back are Nalen,
Kuper, and Holland, and now Clady, Wiegemann, Gandy, and Lichtensteiger.

I don't think there's a soft, skinny lineman among that bunch, is there?

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
05-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Keep on shootin' down the stars Selvin. (http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/662809.html)

Selvin sees 2,000

Denver Broncos running back Selvin Young dreams big.

Even though he was an undrafted free agent last season and has never rushed for 1,000 yards, Young's goal is to become only the sixth 2,000-yard rusher.

"People call me crazy," Young said in a telephone interview. "I got a lot of laughs, too, but I really think it's in me. I feel comfortable. I've gotten adjusted to this altitude. With that alone, I should be able to take more snaps a game. And it seems like they want to do a lot more things with me."

Young didn't exactly come out of nowhere last season. He did play at Texas, where he rushed for 1,713 yards and 25 touchdowns. But he went undrafted a year ago.

So he signed with the Broncos, who have a history of turning low-round picks and undrafted free agents into 1,000-yard rushers in their zone blocking scheme. Young started eight games and led the team with 729 rushing yards, becoming only the sixth undrafted rookie since 1967 to rush for at least 500 yards. He averaged 5.2 yards per carry and caught 35 passes.

The Broncos plan to use Young in more ways this season, but he won't necessarily get the ball more. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said earlier this off-season that he sees Young as 10-to-15-touches-a-game back.

Thus, the Broncos will continue to rotate their backs.

"Selvin played very well when he played," Shanahan said at the NFL owners meetings. "He will wear down. He's not a big guy."

The Bucs said the same thing about Warrick Dunn when he first came into the league. Eleven years later, Dunn -- who, at 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, is even smaller than Young -- has averaged 17.7 touches per game in his career. In 2005 and '06, he averaged 19.3 touches per game and played in all 16 games both seasons.

Young, like Dunn, believes in himself. He believes he can beat out Travis Henry for the starting job; he believes, too, that he can be an every-down back, holding up under the strain of 20, 25 or even occasionally 30 touches a game.

"I really feel like last year was just the tip of the iceberg," Young said. "This off-season I put a lot of work in to be healthy and to be able to maintain my health throughout the season. I hope expectations are higher from the coaches. I hope that it wasn't expected last season, but I hope now it is expected of me."

Retired_Member_001
05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
With his fitness, he would be lucky to run 2,000 yards in THREE seasons.

Good that he has ambition though.

Retired_Member_001
05-25-2008, 03:00 PM
They were soft, skinny, and sickening. The ones coming back are Nalen,
Kuper, and Holland, and now Clady, Wiegemann, Gandy, and Lichtensteiger.

I don't think there's a soft, skinny lineman among that bunch, is there?

-----

I completely agree with you.

I was simply talking about last season. I don't think the offensive line will be excellent this season. I just think it will be alot better than the season before last.

Retired_Member_001
05-25-2008, 03:01 PM
im just trying to point out that i feel thateven if he had our 06-07 OL in front of him he wouldnt have scored 8 TDs, of which i dont know how many were redzone.

Fair points.

I'm just simply pointing out that the line Mike Bell got all those endzone touchdowns behind, is much better than the line Selvin Young was trying to run behind.

honz
05-25-2008, 03:02 PM

Well, he did run for over 700 yards last year, so I guess he must be lucky!;)

SBboundBRONCOS
05-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, he did run for over 700 yards last year, so I guess he must be lucky!;)

i hate when people extrapolate numbers, i mean look at what LJ did in his first year 1750ish in 9 starts, and people were thinking he could be well over 2000 the following year

but i dont think selvin will even sniff 2000, but good for him to set the bar high:salute:

Nature Boy
05-25-2008, 03:49 PM
I hope he runs for 2000 yards too but just like the handle name of the original poster, Selvin Young is dreaming, big time. He has to outplay Travis Henry 1st.

WhatEver!!!
05-25-2008, 03:55 PM
I do not see any back rushing for 2000 yards when he splits his time. I do not see Young being able to keep injury free rushing over 30 times per game.

Retired_Member_001
05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
I hope he runs for 2000 yards too but just like the handle name of the original poster, Selvin Young is dreaming, big time. He has to outplay Travis Henry 1st.

What a suprise, Nature Boy brings Travis Henry into this.

honz
05-25-2008, 05:10 PM
i hate when people extrapolate numbers, i mean look at what LJ did in his first year 1750ish in 9 starts, and people were thinking he could be well over 2000 the following year

but i dont think selvin will even sniff 2000, but good for him to set the bar high:salute:
Where did I extrapolate? 700 x 3 = 2100, no?

Besides, it was supposed to be more of a joke than anything...I'll give myself a preemptive "PHAIL", though.

weazel
05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I wanted to be a left winger for the Chicago Blackhawks, that aint gonna happen either...

TXBRONC
05-25-2008, 06:58 PM

What are you meaning by fitness? He looks like he keeps himself good shape which different that being able to stay healthy.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Where did I extrapolate? 700 x 3 = 2100, no?

Besides, it was supposed to be more of a joke than anything...I'll give myself a preemptive "PHAIL", though.

ok :salute:

topscribe
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM
What a suprise, Nature Boy brings Travis Henry into this.

Well, Selvin does have to outplay Henry, doesn't he?

-----

MOtorboat
05-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm a big fan of Madden too. Can't wait till Madden 09.

Hobe
05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Aim high! :rockon:

SBboundBRONCOS
05-25-2008, 07:37 PM

ewww madden :tsk:

slim
05-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Good for you Selvin....you go girl.

Skinny
05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Good for you Selvin....you go girl.:rofl:

TXBRONC
05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Good for you Selvin....you go girl.

Slim, why are you hating on Selvin?

nevcraw
05-25-2008, 09:58 PM
nothing at all wrong with aiming high.. good for him. put on some weight, took shanny's words as motivation and is going in to compete.
Jeez - i think some of you would rather he get his goose on and then try to take on the world.. Go get em SY.

slim
05-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Slim, why are you hating on Selvin?

I'm not....I was only joking.

I like Selvin a lot. Actually, I would rather see Selvin starting this year than Henry. Selvin is much more explosive.

Simple Jaded
05-26-2008, 01:45 AM
2000 yards from an undrafted RB? Imagine what a 1st round talent like Ryan Torain could do......

Nature Boy
05-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Hopes and dreams. Too bad that don't count for much cause if it did, Quintin Griffin would be better than Barry Sanders by now.

I don't think Selvin Young has the abilities to be a top back in this league.

honz
05-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Hopes and dreams. Too bad that don't count for much cause if it did, Quittin Griffin would be better than Barry Sanders by now.

None of us know for sure yet, but you don't get 5.2 yards per carry running behind a poor OLine by being a total scrub. I have high hopes for Selvin.

TXBRONC
05-26-2008, 05:54 AM

I like Selvin a lot. Actually, I would rather see Selvin starting this year than Henry. Selvin is much more explosive.

I don't know if he can handle more carries but I guess we wont know unless he's given the chances.

slim
05-26-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't know if he can handle more carries but I guess we wont know unless he's given the chances.

Yeah, at the very least they should split carries. Give Henry and Young both 12-15 carries a game. I think that is probably what will happen.

Bad Intentions
05-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Personally I could care less if he runs for 2000 yards or 200 yards. Give me wins... playoff wins! Seriously, his goals should be to win the division or to finish games in the 4th quarter with the lead, or to become a lockerroom leader... individual stats are nice and make for a good FF team, but they don't always help my Broncos win games.

Northman
05-26-2008, 11:26 AM

Amen

BOSSHOGG30
05-26-2008, 11:39 AM
I enjoy Young's confidence and I always like when players set goals. Winners always set goals...it separates them from losers.

Someone should tell our players that we don't lack the yards, but points. Young should also set the bar high on TD runs....this would be far more impressive and important to our organization.

lex
05-26-2008, 12:05 PM
If Young has indeed put on 20 lbs as has been posted and if the following quote is from Shanahans year end presser, then the quote could very well be dated.

"Selvin played very well when he played," Shanahan said at the NFL owners meetings. "He will wear down. He's not a big guy."

It all depends on whether Young loses speed and agility and whether the weight helps his durability. It could. It remains to be seen. If Young is durable, why would you really want Henry to play? Why is Henry's durability not called into question anyway? The guy has almost never played a full season. Every team he has played for they were looking to replace him. Young was better than Henry last season and if he is more durable but just as capable, that should mean a lot.

lex
05-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Personally I could care less if he runs for 2000 yards or 200 yards. Give me wins... playoff wins! Seriously, his goals should be to win the division or to finish games in the 4th quarter with the lead, or to become a lockerroom leader... individual stats are nice and make for a good FF team, but they don't always help my Broncos win games.

I think you make a good point. Henry had a lot of his yards against Buffalo and Oakland. Young ran all over KC. We didnt do so well against San Diego or Jacksonville however. So pehaps its better to not focus on total yards but rather to be able to run against the tougher teams.

TXBRONC
05-26-2008, 04:06 PM

I don't know of any teams where a player rushes for 2000 yards and doesn't make the playoffs.

56crash
05-26-2008, 04:42 PM

Are you for real? :confused:

atwater27
05-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Good for Selvin. If he feels Shanahan gave him a bad rap and thinks he won't get a fair shot at starting over Henry or Torrain, I say more power to him. I know those words have directly gained the attention of Shanny.
I have faith in you Selvin!

TXBRONC
05-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Good for Selvin. If he feels Shanahan gave him a bad rap and thinks he won't get a fair shot at starting over Henry or Torrain, I say more power to him. I know those words have directly gained the attention of Shanny.
I have faith in you Selvin!

Same here. I hope the competition is competitive enough that it makes it difficult for Shanahan pick a starter.

broncosfanscott
05-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, I like the fact that he sets goals for himself.....however big they are, but I just don't see him getting there or close for that matter. TD was a stud and he got 2,000 yards, so I doubt Young will get there. Although I would love to see him try. A solid 1500-1700 yard back that helps us get wins and to the playoffs is what I'll take.

topscribe
05-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, I like the fact that he sets goals for himself.....however big they are, but I just don't see him getting there or close for that matter. TD was a stud and he got 2,000 yards, so I doubt Young will get there. Although I would love to see him try. A solid 1500-1700 yard back that helps us get wins and to the playoffs is what I'll take.

"What the mind can believe, can conceive, it can achieve."

Maybe Selvin will achieve it, and maybe he won't. But if he believes that
strongly in himself, it won't surprise me.

-----

rcsodak
05-26-2008, 11:07 PM

Do you have a life-size poster of TH above your bed?

Just wondering..... :coffee:

rcsodak
05-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, Selvin does have to outplay Henry, doesn't he?

-----

Don't ruin it, top..... :tsk:

lol

rcsodak
05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Hopes and dreams. Too bad that don't count for much cause if it did, Quittin Griffin would be better than Barry Sanders by now.

Them there are fighting words! Q NEVER quit. Lets see your idol break a leg and then be back in the lineup as quick.

How about sticking with FACTS for once?

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Here's the facts. Selvin Young will not beat Travis Henry for the starting spot. and Selvin Young will be very lucky he gets anything close to 1000yds rushing in 2008.

atwater27
05-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Here's the facts. Selvin Young will not beat Travis Henry for the starting spot. and Selvin Young will be very lucky he gets anything close to 1000yds rushing in 2008.

I'll take you up on both of those bets. What do you want to wager, mr. Flair?

broncohead
05-27-2008, 12:15 AM

With what i've seen from Henry, Young won't have to beat out Henry because he won't last past week 5.

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I'll take you up on both of those bets. What do you want to wager, mr. Flair?

What ever you want Sci-Fi Boy. You name it, you're more familiar with this forum and their what is the usual bets. If I named the stakes, you'ld never agree to them.

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
What ever you want Sci-Fi Boy..

Can't get through a post without an insult, can you.

:rofl:

Please refer to my sig.

topscribe
05-27-2008, 12:23 AM

Why don't you make that your opinion instead of the facts?

You don't know that any more than any of the coaches do.

-----

honz
05-27-2008, 12:24 AM
I hope Selvin, Henry, Torain, and Hall all get inured so my boy Allridge can go out there and show people what's up!:coffee:

This thread is getting ridonculous.

atwater27
05-27-2008, 12:26 AM
What ever you want Sci-Fi Boy. You name it, you're more familiar with this forum and their what is the usual bets. If I named the stakes, you'ld never agree to them.

Whoever loses the bet has to attach a gay pride avatar and signature to their username until the 09 draft.

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Whoever loses the bet has to attach a gay pride avatar and signature to their username until the 09 draft.

No, LOL! No can do because you actually want to post that on your signature and you're just looking for a reason to do so without getting heat for it.

Name something else is that not so gay.

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 12:34 AM

Please refer to my sig.

Did you not see he called me Mr. Flair? If he can crack a joke, so can I. Quit wetting your pants over something so meaningless.

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Did you not see he called me Mr. Flair? If he can crack a joke, so can I. Quit wetting your pants over something so meaningless.

I'm not the one referring everyone to their sig and talking down to them. About time someone did so to you...

topscribe
05-27-2008, 12:37 AM

He's right, Mo.

So now you two are even, NB. Now, you both can drop the personal stuff.

-----

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 12:38 AM
He's right, Mo.

So now you two are even, NB. Now, you both can drop the personal stuff.

-----

I will when he stops talking down to posters. Agreed?

topscribe
05-27-2008, 12:39 AM
This thread is about Selvin Young, not each other.

:focus:

-----

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Why don't you make that your opinion instead of the facts?

You don't know that any more than any of the coaches do.

-----

You're right Tops, it's not fact yet, but how I see it is, it's good as facts. There's just no way Selvin Young will outplay Travis Henry.

As much as you guys make of Travis Henry's frequent injuries, Henry only had 2 major injuries that prevented him from playing the majority of only 2 of his 7 seasons in the NFL. So based talent alone, there is no way Young will outplay Henry and it's very unlikely Henry will not play the majority of the 2008 season, prone to injuries or not.

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 12:53 AM
You're right Tops, it's not fact yet, but how I see it is, it's good as facts. There's just no way Selvin Young will outplay Travis Henry.

As much as you guys make of Travis Henry's frequent injuries, Henry only had 2 major injuries that prevented him from playing the majority of only 2 of his 7 seasons in the NFL. So based talent alone, there is no way Young will outplay Henry and it's very unlikely Henry will not play the majority of the 2008 season, prone to injuries or not.

So based on it being his eighth year in the league, and being injured before the season starts, it's likely that he will be the starter the entire season?

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Not the entire but the majority. And Travis Henry will get 2000yds way before Sevin Young should there be a chance for it.

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Not the entire but the majority.

I think you're saying that he'll be good for some of the season, but not all, but I don't want to infer something because you can't clarify your thought.

And Travis Henry will get 2000yds way before Sevin Young should there be a chance for it.

Not in one season.

topscribe
05-27-2008, 01:09 AM
I will when he stops talking down to posters. Agreed?

NO! I'm not in the bargaining mood! I said I want the personal stuff to stop!

Is that not clear enough? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed.gif

-----

SBboundBRONCOS
05-27-2008, 03:00 AM
NO! I'm not in the bargaining mood! I said I want the personal stuff to stop!

Is that not clear enough? http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thannoyed.gif

-----

everyone look out top had it :eek::mad:

sneakers
05-27-2008, 03:04 AM

NCAA Football is a heck of a lot better.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-27-2008, 03:06 AM
NCAA Football is a heck of a lot better.

fo sho :salute:

sneakers
05-27-2008, 03:07 AM
I hope Selvin, Henry, Torain, and Hall all get inured so my boy Allridge can go out there and show people what's up!:coffee:

This thread is getting ridonculous.

Maybe they can all gain 2000 yards?

HolyDiver
05-27-2008, 06:45 AM
2000 yards in a season is only 125 per game...............

TXBRONC
05-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Them there are fighting words! Q NEVER quit. Lets see your idol break a leg and then be back in the lineup as quick.

Well Q didn't have severe break, and I thought it was his ankle or his foot.

TXBRONC
05-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Not the entire but the majority. And Travis Henry will get 2000yds way before Sevin Young should there be a chance for it.

I think Henry is solid back when healthy, but I've never thought of him as back who could crack 2000. And at his age it's highly unlikely.

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I think you're saying that he'll be good for some of the season, but not all, but I don't want to infer something because you can't clarify your thought.

Not in one season.

There's just nothing there for me to comment to. Really.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
I think Henry is solid back when healthy, but I've never thought of him as back who could crack 2000. And at his age it's highly unlikely.

I don't think Henry can crack 2000yds either. Not even when he was 2-3 yrs in the league. He's lacks the break away home run speed to crack a 60-70yd run.

My point was if either of the 2 were to break 2000 yds in a season hypothetically, Henry would do it 1st way before Selvin would.

To be realistic, let's say if only Selvin Young and Andre Hall carried the rock in 2008, I still don't think the 2 combined is capable of cracking 2000yds total. One or the other would be ailing on the sidelines way before the season ends. Can Henry do it? Let's just say he has a better chance.

Retired_Member_001
05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't think Henry can crack 2000yds either. Not even when he was 2-3 yrs in the league. He's lacks the break away home run speed to crack a 60-70yd run.

My point was if either of the 2 were to break 2000 yds in a season hypothetically, Henry would do it 1st way before Selvin would.

To be realistic, let's say if only Selvin Young and Andre Hall carried the rock in 2008, I still don't think the 2 combined is capable of cracking 2000yds total. One or the other would be ailing on the sidelines way before the season ends. Can Henry do it? Let's just say he has a better chance.

Selvin Young could easily lead the league in Yards (second for rookies in average yards per carry). Problem is, he is showing signs of the kind of back that will never stay healthy. Because of that, he is probably good for 700-800 yards a season AT MOST.

rcsodak
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM

Please refer to my sig.

Insults? I'd like to see a post of his that's legible...... :rolleyes:

rcsodak
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM

ONLY?!?!?!?

If it's SO ez, then why isn't it done each/every season?

Jeepers...

I remember when 1000yd seasons was something to be proud of ....and then "it's only 60+ yds/game".

Maybe some of you should don some pads and see if you can run for 10yds. :tsk:

rcsodak
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Well Q didn't have severe break, and I thought it was his ankle or his foot.

Hairline fracture in his leg...and his best attribute was what? Cutting/stopping.

Then, he tore his ACL, which he never fully recovered from and was cut the following year.

Regardless, he DIDN'T quit, as nature boy rick flair purported.

And I've YET to see THenry break any of Q's records.......

...but of course, only a true Bronco fan would even know of which I refer. ;)

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Insults? I'd like to see a post of his that's legible...... :rolleyes:

A complete misread...gotcha.

underrated29
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
ok i am tired.... very tired and this will be my last post before i go to bed....

But MO, did i read that correctly that RC is also natureboy?

I liked rc from the other place, nature hes to touchy, high strung. Are they really one and thsame.

I will check back to morow i need some sleep.

slim
05-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Uh, yeah....that's why we have a 2,000 yard back every year in the NFL :rolleyes:

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
ok i am tired.... very tired and this will be my last post before i go to bed....

I liked rc from the other place, nature hes to touchy, high strung. Are they really one and thsame.

No...I misread something.

underrated29
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
damit....

smae here.

ok, focker out!

topscribe
05-27-2008, 11:29 PM
ONLY?!?!?!?

If it's SO ez, then why isn't it done each/every season?

Jeepers...

I remember when 1000yd seasons was something to be proud of ....and then "it's only 60+ yds/game".

Maybe some of you should don some pads and see if you can run for 10yds. :tsk:

I ran a lot further than that the other day . . .

. . . pissed off my mother-in-law . . .

-----

Nature Boy
05-27-2008, 11:50 PM

Hairline fracture in his leg...and his best attribute was what? Cutting/stopping.

Then, he tore his ACL, which he never fully recovered from and was cut the following year.

Regardless, he DIDN'T quit, as nature boy rick flair purported.

And I've YET to see THenry break any of Q's records.......

...but of course, only a true Bronco fan would even know of which I refer. ;)

That was a complete typo. I meant to say Quentin Griffin but typed Quittin Griffin. I just caught that, haha.

Sorry lil' Q, you never quit, the NFL was just to big for you.

When I read Terry Pierce say Quintin Griffin is the fastest and quickest guy he's played against in college, that told me Terry Pierce was even worst and a complete waste of a 2nd rounder in the 2003 draft.

topscribe
05-28-2008, 12:17 AM
That was a complete typo. I meant to say Quentin Griffin but typed Quittin Griffin. I just caught that, haha.

When I read Terry Pierce say Quintin Griffin is the fastest and quickest guy he's played against in college, that told me Terry Pierce was even worst and a complete waste of a 2nd rounder in the 2003 draft.

I guess you never saw Q play in college . . .

-----

Nature Boy
05-28-2008, 01:08 AM
I guess you never saw Q play in college . . .

-----

I sure did. I believe he still holds the record at OU for most rushing yards. But that is college, this is the NFL.

HolyDiver
05-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Quintin Griffin was NOT our style of back..........he had talent, just not fit for the one-cut, zone blocking system.

TXBRONC
05-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Quintin Griffin was NOT our style of back..........he had talent, just not fit for the one-cut, zone blocking system.

The way it always seemed to me was that Q was a one cut and go running back, but the guy couldn't hang onto the ball and he couldn't break tackles.

HolyDiver
05-28-2008, 09:40 AM
The way it always seemed to me was that Q was a one cut and go running back, but the guy couldn't hang onto the ball and he couldn't break tackles.

He was the exact opposite of a one-cut runner...........he juked and dodged, giving up the for sure three yards for a shot at the big run...............that's not how we do things around Bronco land.

BroncoNut
05-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I agree with HD because he brainwashed me when I visited. Denver needs a one cut back who will pop for the 3-4 yard gain by moving forward with the first hit. and leaning into his or her run. This will nicely complement the zone blocking scheme that is Bronco football.

atwater27
05-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I liked the idea of Q, considering my favorite back ever is Barry Sanders. The problem with Q was his lower body strength. He had none. Exciting to watch, but went right down with a shoelace tackle.

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Huh????

Hardly.:laugh:

But I DO agree about rick flair, though. :D

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
I liked the idea of Q, considering my favorite back ever is Barry Sanders. The problem with Q was his lower body strength. He had none. Exciting to watch, but went right down with a shoelace tackle.

Evidently you didn't watch him in college either. I did. Did you see the size of his thighs/legs?

He just didn't fit into denver's scheme, and never seemed to come back from his ACL. But he's in the CFL now...so maybe we'll see him again.

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 01:32 PM

No, no and no. You purposely typed that. Be a man and admit it.

Too bad all you can do is read headlines. Your posts SCREAM of that little tidbit.

*why am I posting to a banned member?????* :confused: :lol:

atwater27
05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Evidently you didn't watch him in college either. I did. Did you see the size of his thighs/legs?

He just didn't fit into denver's scheme, and never seemed to come back from his ACL. But he's in the CFL now...so maybe we'll see him again.

ROFL!!! I didn't need to watch him in college. I watched opposing defensive players sneeze and bring him down. He may be the best running back EVER to go down at first contact. Leg strength my ass.

topscribe
05-28-2008, 01:35 PM
No, no and no. You purposely typed that. Be a man and admit it.

Too bad all you can do is read headlines. Your posts SCREAM of that little tidbit.

*why am I posting to a banned member?????* :confused: :lol:

Maybe because you're one short of a six-pack?

Your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?

Your attic windows have been left open?

You ain't wrapped too tight?

:D

-----

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
ROFL!!! I didn't need to watch him in college. I watched opposing defensive players sneeze and bring him down. He may be the best running back EVER to go down at first contact. Leg strength my ass.

So where were you in the game where he ran for 140+ against Indy, and didn't go down when sneezed upon?

It's called losing confidence. I imagine it could be from getting a fractured leg on day one of your NFL career.....or difficult rehab from ACL. I won't speak for Q. All I know, is I'm not one to call an NFL player a wussy, when I know I wouldn't last a day in their shoes. Evidently, you can?:cool:

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Maybe because you're one short of a six-pack?

Your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?

Your attic windows have been left open?

You ain't wrapped too tight?

:D

-----

Nah...none of the above....(that I know of :confused: )

Maybe just a can of 10w-30 in the dead of winter?

atwater27
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM
So where were you in the game where he ran for 140+ against Indy, and didn't go down when sneezed upon?

It's called losing confidence. I imagine it could be from getting a fractured leg on day one of your NFL career.....or difficult rehab from ACL. I won't speak for Q. All I know, is I'm not one to call an NFL player a wussy, when I know I wouldn't last a day in their shoes. Evidently, you can?:cool:

I am sure I could hold my own.

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I am sure I could hold my own.

Go for it, then, buckwheat! :rolleyes: I'm sure Shanny is always looking for off the street stud buffaloes. :laugh:

:lol: sorry....just can't quit laughing......

atwater27
05-28-2008, 02:05 PM
How do you know I am not a former player just blogging because of my love for the broncos?

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 02:09 PM
How do you know I am not a former player just blogging because of my love for the broncos?

Is that a rhetorical question? :confused:

atwater27
05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Is that a rhetorical question? :confused:

I say with complete and utter seriousness that I would break more tackles in the NFL than Quentin Griffin.

topscribe
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM

The guy was 5'7" and weighed 195. That's a lot of pounds for that height. He
wasn't fat . . . where did he pack that weight? He wouldn't weigh that much
with pencil-thin legs.

If he had trouble breaking tackles in this league, it wasn't because he was weak.

-----

atwater27
05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
The guy was 5'7" and weighed 195. That's a lot of pounds for that height. He
wasn't fat . . . where did he pack that weight? He wouldn't weigh that much
with pencil-thin legs.

If he had trouble breaking tackles in this league, it wasn't because he was weak.

-----

You must have not watched the games I watched. A few times I saw him get clotheslined by a dirty look.
It's like there was a little button in his helmet that cut off the power to his legs the second he felt a finger of an opposing player brush him.

topscribe
05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
You must have not watched the games I watched. A few times I saw him get clotheslined by a dirty look.
It's like there was a little button in his helmet that cut off the power to his legs the second he felt a finger of an opposing player brush him.

Nice one-liners, but but a bit over-dramatic, IMO. :D

-----

atwater27
05-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Nice one-liners, but but a bit over-dramatic, IMO. :D

-----

:cool:Hey, I calls em as I sees em.
Apparently, Shanahan didn't like what he saw either.

topscribe
05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
:cool:Hey, I calls em as I sees em.
Apparently, Shanahan didn't like what he saw either.

Shanny liked what he saw when he made Q the starter. And Q rewarded
Shanny's judgment with a 150-yard game, if you remember.

As has already been pointed out, Q never performed up to his previous levels
after he blew out his ACL. His injury is what put him out of football. He likely
was not big enough to be a starter in this league, but he wasn't the bum you
seem to view him.

-----

HolyDiver
05-28-2008, 02:34 PM

after he blew out his ACL. His injury is what put him out of football. He likely
seem to view him.

-----

Griffin was sucking way before his knee injury...............don't you remember all the talk about replacing him? ............. He was just not fit for the Broncos.

atwater27
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

seem to view him.

-----

Hey man, I wanted to like him. I wanted him to succeed. His 2 or 3 big games were exhilarating. I thought we might have the next Barry Sanders. But the NFL figured him out real quick after that.

topscribe
05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Griffin was sucking way before his knee injury...............don't you remember all the talk about replacing him? ............. He was just not fit for the Broncos.

I remember all the talk about replacing John Elway. In fact, they drafted
another QB in the first round, if you remember (depending on your age).

But I do not remember all the talk from Shanny about replacing Q. Unhappy
fans don't necessarily impress me. :whoknows:

All I know is that Q accounted for himself well until he went down. No, he
wasn't Barry Sanders, but he wasn't a bum, either. That's all I'm saying.

-----

atwater27
05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Remember weebles? They wobble but they don't fall down?
Q was a weeble that wobbled and then fell down.

topscribe
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Remember weebles? They wobble but they don't fall down?
Q was a weeble that wobbled and then fell down.

Okay, now try to add some intelligence to that . . .

-----

atwater27
05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I take it you don't remember weebles.

BroncoJoe
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I thought this was a thread about Selvin Young? :confused:

topscribe
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM

You're absolutely right, Joe.

:focus:

-----

tubby
05-28-2008, 02:52 PM

Well, Selvin Young and Q both had good games against the chiefs. :smack:

HolyDiver
05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Selvin Young.............5.2 ypc................somewhere around 35 receptions last season. I really like this guy. He's on the verge of a big season.

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I say with complete and utter seriousness that I would break more tackles in the NFL than Quentin Griffin.

If you say so.....

:elefant:

rcsodak
05-28-2008, 07:16 PM

And exaggerations on a message board do SO much for credibility.....:tsk:

I wonder what you were thinking, as he was making the colts D look stupid. I highly doubt it was "I could do that".

Just admit you didn't like him and "move along, douglas". :rolleyes:

atwater27
05-28-2008, 09:03 PM
And exaggerations on a message board do SO much for credibility.....:tsk:

I wonder what you were thinking, as he was making the colts D look stupid. I highly doubt it was "I could do that".

Just admit you didn't like him and "move along, douglas". :rolleyes:

I feel like I am arguing with my 4 year old.

BroncoNut
05-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Selvin Young.............5.2 ypc................somewhere around 35 receptions last season. I really like this guy. He's on the verge of a big season.

to tell you the truth, I don't like that average HD. anything above a 4.5, and I'm being conservative, suggests a few breaks for long gains. I have found in my extensive experience of analyzing rb stats and this game that this is often a type of back that is not reliable in short yardage and goal line situations. I may be wrong, I like Selvin myself, but I just wanted to share this point with you all.

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 08:24 AM
to tell you the truth, I don't like that average HD. anything above a 4.5, and I'm being conservative, suggests a few breaks for long gains. I have found in my extensive experience of analyzing rb stats and this game that this is often a type of back that is not reliable in short yardage and goal line situations. I may be wrong, I like Selvin myself, but I just wanted to share this point with you all.

Nut................smh......next time you come to my house, you are sleeping with the chickens.

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 08:25 AM

He had plenty of 6-9 yard runs,

BroncoNut
05-29-2008, 08:43 AM
He had plenty of 6-9 yard runs,

those are fine HD. But notice, I said that I hoped I was wrong, and that I could be. I am just going by how some stats can be misleading. Plenty were for 6-9, how many were for negative or no gain? That is my question. Is he patient in running between the tackles? Does he take a hit in the tackle box. the woes of the Denver Bronco running game has been in the short field and short yard play.

I think you are just a little jealous that I am finally posting like I know what I am talking about to tell you the truth.

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 09:17 AM
those are fine HD. But notice, I said that I hoped I was wrong, and that I could be. I am just going by how some stats can be misleading. Plenty were for 6-9, how many were for negative or no gain? That is my question. Is he patient in running between the tackles? Does he take a hit in the tackle box. the woes of the Denver Bronco running game has been in the short field and short yard play.

I think you are just a little jealous that I am finally posting like I know what I am talking about to tell you the truth.

Yeah, that must be it.

BroncoNut
05-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, that must be it.

spoken like someone in a fit of jealous rage.

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
spoken like someone in a fit of jealous rage.

Take that back or the Dutch-Belted are dinner tonight.

BroncoNut
05-29-2008, 09:43 AM
O.k. I take it back.

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 09:47 AM
O.k. I take it back.

Too late...............unless..............you agree that Young should be our feature back.

BroncoNut
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Too late...............unless..............you agree that Young should be our feature back.

I never said that i didn't like Selvin Young. I'd love a feature back to emerge from this crop. You are reading way too much into this HD. Please put the rabbit down and go watch "Alone in the Wilderness"

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
I never said that i didn't like Selvin Young. I'd love a feature back to emerge from this crop. You are reading way too much into this HD. Please put the rabbit down and go watch "Alone in the Wilderness"

I'm going to suggest you get banned for three days..............to cool off.

BroncoNut
05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm going to suggest you get banned for three days..............to cool off.

O.K. The Alone in the Wilderness remark was uncalled for, I'll admit. I would take it back if I could, but I can't

HolyDiver
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
O.K. The Alone in the Wilderness remark was uncalled for, I'll admit. I would take it back if I could, but I can't

No, the Alone in the Wilderness remark was okay.............now, you go educate 10 people today about that documentary, and I'll drop all the charges.

TXBRONC
05-29-2008, 08:56 PM

In Young's case I see your point. However, when guys have ypcs of 5.0 or more and also more than 200 carries then the average has little more to it than a few long runs.

topscribe
05-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Is that supposed to be a negative? Don't you want a guy who can break a few long runs?

-----

jrelway
05-31-2008, 09:32 AM
from rotoworld:

1. Broncos RB Pecking Order with Travis Henry Sidelined

With Henry out all next week and possibly until the end of the month, it will be interesting to see how practice carries are divvied up. Selvin Young is first in line, but rookie Ryan Torain is fully recovered from his senior-year Lisfranc injury and in the thick of it. Will Torain go second behind Young or third behind Young and Andre Hall? And where will newly signed Michael Pittman fit in? The Broncos are unlikely to carry more than four tailbacks into the season. One of the above must go.

I personally do not believe Henry will be a Bronco in Week 1. He's one missed/failed drug test from a year-long suspension, unreliable physically, and the only running back on Denver's current roster that doesn't contribute on special teams. If Henry fails to clearly separate himself from the pack, which he obviously cannot due while nursing a hamstring strain, he's not going to help Mike Shanahan's club.

And as for the notion that the Broncos' zone-blocking scheme "just isn't that effective anymore" or "has been figured out" and should be avoided by fantasy owners, that's simply false. Though the last two years have been unpredictable due to rotating Bells and Henry's suspension situation, Denver finished in the top eight in yards-per-carry both seasons. Last year, the Broncos ranked third overall.

jrelway
05-31-2008, 09:34 AM
regardless of who we have in the backfield..our running game is the least of our worries. i think we'll be top 5 rushing team in 08.

Lonestar
05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
regardless of who we have in the backfield..our running game is the least of our worries. i think we'll be top 5 rushing team in 08.

all of those yards between the 20's really look good on the stats sheets and in fantasy Football, the ones inside the 5 count in the W-L column..

Time will tell IF the later happen.

Broncospsycho77
05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Let's not get carried away with this. We don't have enough data to accurately portray Selvin Young. He's in his second year. His second. Especially going undrafted, it's pretty amazing that he went for 700 or so yards last year, including injuries and competing for reps.

Selvin has plenty to prove this year, and considering that he has never had a true starter role, and is relatively unproven, we really can't say anything until this season (or even another) passes. Selvin has a bright future with this organization, and I expect an increase in attempts and total yards, with his average near the amazing number it was last year.

Lonestar
05-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Let's not get carried away with this. We don't have enough data to accurately portray Selvin Young. He's in his second year. His second. Especially going undrafted, it's pretty amazing that he went for 700 or so yards last year, including injuries and competing for reps.

Selvin has plenty to prove this year, and considering that he has never had a true starter role, and is relatively unproven, we really can't say anything until this season (or even another) passes. Selvin has a bright future with this organization, and I expect an increase in attempts and total yards, with his average near the amazing number it was last year.

If indeed he has put on the extra weight and it helps with durability all the better perhaps we have found our next TD..

I'm willing to wait and see.. hoping thenry is toast and out of here.. with young taking his place..

BroncoJoe
05-31-2008, 01:35 PM
from rotoworld:

1. Broncos RB Pecking Order with Travis Henry Sidelined

With Henry out all next week and possibly until the end of the month, it will be interesting to see how practice carries are divvied up. Selvin Young is first in line, but rookie Ryan Torain is fully recovered from his senior-year Lisfranc injury and in the thick of it. Will Torain go second behind Young or third behind Young and Andre Hall? And where will newly signed Michael Pittman fit in? The Broncos are unlikely to carry more than four tailbacks into the season. One of the above must go.

I personally do not believe Henry will be a Bronco in Week 1. He's one missed/failed drug test from a year-long suspension, unreliable physically, and the only running back on Denver's current roster that doesn't contribute on special teams. If Henry fails to clearly separate himself from the pack, which he obviously cannot due while nursing a hamstring strain, he's not going to help Mike Shanahan's club.

And as for the notion that the Broncos' zone-blocking scheme "just isn't that effective anymore" or "has been figured out" and should be avoided by fantasy owners, that's simply false. Though the last two years have been unpredictable due to rotating Bells and Henry's suspension situation, Denver finished in the top eight in yards-per-carry both seasons. Last year, the Broncos ranked third overall.

You're going to feel Nature Boy's wrath once he's unbanned....

I love it.

Npba900
06-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Would this outcome have been different had he weighed 220lbs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPSKVBHSes0&feature=related

Ha! Shaun Rodgers is on big MO FO. He already had a head of steam going for him the only thing that could have brought down Rodgers was another OL of DL. At least Selvin showed no quit however. Shanahan likes that!:beer:

Npba900
06-01-2008, 10:19 AM

Well if its true that Selvin has put on 15-20 pounds of muscle! It shows two things, one, Selvin isn't resting on his rookie laurels and second, Selvin has made a personal decision to get bigger and stronger in the areas that have undoubtedly been his achilles heel of weakness thru out college and his first year in the NFL. Maybe 2008 will be his breakout season.

underrated29
06-01-2008, 10:27 AM
I just read an article that said selvin was weighing in at 212. same as tbell,portis,td.....He is not at 220.

Travis is going to make the team guys. He is. He is the stongest and fastest of the backs.

Hall is the fastest and then young, but they arent as strong.

Pittman and torain are stronger but not as fast. Atleast i know pitman isnt. I dont know about torain...

Of all the backs that succed in our system- td,portis,droughns,gary, anderson.. They were all stronger backs that pushed with power......

The new selvin might be that guy, but for now. Travis is our only proven one with that mold... He makes the team unless he is injured throughout all tc.

topscribe
06-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I just read an article that said selvin was weighing in at 212. same as tbell,portis,td.....He is not at 220.

Travis is going to make the team guys. He is. He is the stongest and fastest of the backs.

Hall is the fastest and then young, but they arent as strong.

Pittman and torain are stronger but not as fast. Atleast i know pitman isnt. I dont know about torain...

Of all the backs that succed in our system- td,portis,droughns,gary, anderson.. They were all stronger backs that pushed with power......

The new selvin might be that guy, but for now. Travis is our only proven one with that mold... He makes the team unless he is injured throughout all tc.

Young is reported at 212. He was reported to have gained 15 lbs. He was
reported to have gained 5 lbs. All we have to the point are reports . . .
conflicting reports. For the truth, we apparently will have to wait.

One thing we don't have to wait for: Henry is not the fastest among the
backs. Young, Torain, and Hall all are faster than he. He is also not
necessarily the strongest, with the arrival of Pittman.

Henry might be the guy. But he has shown no consistency so far. And he
never had a 5.2 YPC, as Young had, and the defense never had to worry
much about 50-yard runs from Henry, such as Young produced.

Whatever his new weight, I'm eager to see what Young does with that
extra weight and strength, and his renewed confidence.

-----

Npba900
06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
The odds are at least from a historical trend is that Henry cannot stay healthy, and you must factor in that Henry is in his 30's which is really old for a starting RB in the NFL. Expect Henry to make the team and perhaps even start....but the odds of him playing 8 connsecutive games w/o getting hurt/nicked/dinged up! are not good. Same goes with Selvin Young b/c his injuries have even plagued him in college.

So the jury is still out on whether Selvin Young and Henry can get thru the grueling 17 week season w/o missing 4 to 6 games and playing at least at 85%. Hence, this is why Shanahan has so many RB's in camp at the start of this season.

Lonestar
06-01-2008, 12:23 PM
The odds are at least from a historical trend is that Henry cannot stay healthy, and you must factor in that Henry is in his 30's which is really old for a starting RB in the NFL. Expect Henry to make the team and perhaps even start....but the odds of him playing 8 connsecutive games w/o getting hurt/nicked/dinged up! are not good. Same goes with Selvin Young b/c his injuries have even plagued him in college.

So the jury is still out on whether Selvin Young and Henry can get thru the grueling 17 week season w/o missing 4 to 6 games and playing at least at 85%. Hence, this is why Shanahan has so many RB's in camp at the start of this season.

mikey has been quoted on many occasions saying once can never have to many CB, LB or RB in TC and during the season for LB and RB..

What we really need now that most of the pressing needs have been addressed (providing that all of the Draft choices this year work out) is at least one quality day one RB pick and then repeat it every third year or so. The odds of getting another TD in the later rounds just does not happen anymore.. That is what mikey has been living off of for almost a decade..

dogfish
06-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Henry might be the guy. But he has shown no consistency so far.

-----

other than consistently getting dinged up and making bad decisions, that is. . . .

Lonestar
06-01-2008, 02:24 PM
other than consistently getting dinged up and making bad decisions, that is. . . .

at least 12 that we know of..

HolyDiver
06-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Shanahan said during last season that Young, at 205 pounds, wasn't big enough to handle a steady workload. But the coaching staff's view of Young, along with his weight, has changed. He's weighing 212, the same number, give or take, that Davis and Clinton Portis once carried.

"Some guys can't handle more than 10 carries a game, but Selvin can," Shanahan said. "He's going to have to get himself in excellent shape, but I'd like to see him handle it and get it done. When you're averaging over 5 yards a carry, we'd be crazy to take him out." ( from the Denver post)

Looks to me like Shanahan has alot of confidence in Young.

G_Money
06-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Uh huh.

Or maybe Mike is playing games with his players' heads again.

At the end of last season Selvin young couldn't stay healthy long enough to be more than a 10-15 carry a game guy, according to Shanahan's conference. Now he can?

He used last year's conference to get into Young's head and try to motivate him, and to give Henry some motivation to re-structure his deal since he was still the "lead dog" in the race for starter.

Now that Henry's injured, Shanny is claiming Torain and Young are both in the race for a starting job, Young's being touted as more than a 10-15 carry back and Henry's being demoted.

It's all head games at this point. He does this with RB every year.

Selvin hasn't gotten any more immune to injury since last year. If nobody else steps up, Young could indeed be the starter, but he's not gonna get 25 carries a game.

Just let it play out. We have enough options now that we should be decent at the position no matter what weird injuries crop up this year.

~G

HolyDiver
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Uh huh.

At the end of last season Selvin young couldn't stay healthy long enough to be more than a 10-15 carry a game guy, according to Shanahan's conference. Now he can?

He used last year's conference to get into Young's head and try to motivate him, and to give Henry some motivation to re-structure his deal since he was still the "lead dog" in the race for starter.

Now that Henry's injured, Shanny is claiming Torain and Young are both in the race for a starting job, Young's being touted as more than a 10-15 carry back and Henry's being demoted.

Selvin hasn't gotten any more immune to injury since last year. If nobody else steps up, Young could indeed be the starter, but he's not gonna get 25 carries a game.

Just let it play out. We have enough options now that we should be decent at the position no matter what weird injuries crop up this year.

~G

I think the games Shanahan was playing was the one saying that Young wasn't capable of handling the load.................Now, Young is heavier and stronger............He's the complete back we've been looking for.

turftoad
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Uh huh.

~G

Great post G. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

G_Money
06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Well Shanny HAD to backtrack about Young not being starting material since he just cut the starter Henry. :D

Good for him.

Now I'm looking for 15 carries from Selvin, 10 from Pittman and 5-10 from Hillis and the rest of the guys.

And then when Selvin gets injured, here's hoping Torain, Pittman, Hillis and Hall are all ready to cover for him.

It should be a fun RBBC year. And then maybe after it's over we'll have an idea of whether Torain or Hillis can be the main guy and we can still get our 10 carries a game from Selvin/Hall, whichever is healthy that week.

~G

Retired_Member_001
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Well Shanny HAD to backtrack about Young not being starting material since he just cut the starter Henry. :D

Good for him.

Now I'm looking for 15 carries from Selvin, 10 from Pittman and 5-10 from Hillis and the rest of the guys.

And then when Selvin gets injured, here's hoping Torain, Pittman, Hillis and Hall are all ready to cover for him.

It should be a fun RBBC year. And then maybe after it's over we'll have an idea of whether Torain or Hillis can be the main guy and we can still get our 10 carries a game from Selvin/Hall, whichever is healthy that week.

~G

Shanahan has to remember to take it easy on Selvin Young. Shanahan can't expect to come out on game 1 and play Selvin Young for most of the game. That's just going to get Selvin Young injured. Take it easy on him, see how well he copes with injuries, and give the others a chance.

I really think that it's also Andre Hall's time to shine.

HolyDiver
06-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Selvin Young
2007 Game Log Rushing Receiving Fumbles
WEEK OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

8 GNB L 19-13 (OT) 18 71 3.9 18 0 6 49 8.2 24 0 0 0...........24 touches...18 carries, 6 receptions
10 @KC W 27-11 20 109 5.5 34 1 3 20 6.7 11 0 1 0 .............23 touches......20 carries, 3 receptions
17 MIN W 22-19 (OT) 22 87 4.0 20 0 3 12 4.0 8 0 0 0 ............25 touches.............22 carries, 3 receptions.

Looks like he can handle the load to me.

underrated29
06-02-2008, 12:04 PM
yes wook.

Hall is the man.. He is my favorite personally.

I like young, but I think hall is faster and a little better tackle breaker.

Not to knock young, he is still fast, great moves, and can catch really really well, but we all have our favs. And hall is my underdog.

Retired_Member_001
06-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Selvin Young

8 GNB L 19-13 (OT) 18 71 3.9 18 0 6 49 8.2 24 0 0 0...........24 touches...18 carries, 6 receptions
10 @KC W 27-11 20 109 5.5 34 1 3 20 6.7 11 0 1 0 .............23 touches......20 carries, 3 receptions
17 MIN W 22-19 (OT) 22 87 4.0 20 0 3 12 4.0 8 0 0 0 ............25 touches.............22 carries, 3 receptions.

That's not how you judge if a guy can carry the load. You judge it whether they can do it game in, game out. Look at this stats:

WEEK 9 (Game after GB game): 6 carries.
WEEK 11 (Game after KC game) : 14 carries
WEEK 12 (2 games after KC game): 0 carries, injured.

See?

He wasn't able to continue running hard after 1-2 games of it.

Lonestar
06-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Selvin Young

but it has to be more than 3 games a year and he has to stay healthy..

Perhaps the extra 7-15 pounds will make the difference in keeping him on the field..

G_Money
06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Selvin Young

He had ankle, knee and elbow injuries last year didn't he? In that "limited exposure" he had?

And in college, he had a massive ankle injury, another leg injury, rib injuries...wasn't the guy beat up all the time...AGAIN in limited action?

He has the STAMINA to touch the ball a lot and do something with it, at least in the short period of time we've seen him get those kinds of touches.

But he's breakable. Some backs stop being breakable. Most backs don't.

I would build my RB position with the idea that Selvin breaks, rather than hoping that this would be the first year in 6 that he's stayed totally healthy

~G

HolyDiver
06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
That's not how you judge if a guy can carry the load. You judge it whether they can do it game in, game out. Look at this stats:

WEEK 9 (Game after GB game): 6 carries.
WEEK 11 (Game after KC game) : 14 carries
WEEK 12 (2 games after KC game): 0 carries, injured.

See?

He wasn't able to continue running hard after 1-2 games of it.

See what? That his carries were limited? LMFAO

HolyDiver
06-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Keep talking................

Retired_Member_001
06-02-2008, 12:15 PM
See what? That his carries were limited? LMFAO

See that his carries where limited BECAUSE he was injured. Shanahan loves Selvin Young, if Shanahan had the option to give the ball to Selvin 20-25 times a game HE WOULD! The problem is, Selvin can't handle that many carries.

HolyDiver
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
See that his carries where limited BECAUSE he was injured. Shanahan loves Selvin Young, if Shanahan had the option to give the ball to Selvin 20-25 times a game HE WOULD! The problem is, Selvin can't handle that many carries.

Shanahan was using the Running by committee............That's the main reason his carries were so low other than a few games that he missed...............Which, TD missed basically the last three games of his rookie year.

Retired_Member_001
06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Shanahan was using the Running by committee............That's the main reason his carries were so low other than a few games that he missed...............Which, TD missed basically the last three games of his rookie year.

Look, Selvin Young picked up a knock after his carry the load Week 8 performance. He then got better. Then his carry the load week 10 performance caused him to get ANOTHER injury which plagued him several times untill Week 17.

I'm not making this up, Selvin WAS really injured. He was on the Injury Report several times.

G_Money
06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Shanahan has to remember to take it easy on Selvin Young. Shanahan can't expect to come out on game 1 and play Selvin Young for most of the game. That's just going to get Selvin Young injured. Take it easy on him, see how well he copes with injuries, and give the others a chance.

I really think that it's also Andre Hall's time to shine.

I'm really happy for Hall that he should be able to breathe a little easier about making the roster. Sapp too.

They still have to earn it, but they're less likely to be numbers casualties now.

Hall can be a serious contributor. I still think he's the guy you plug into the "fast RB" role when Young goes down for a game or two, but I'm really interested to see Andre make the team.

And now that Henry's gone I'm actually pretty stoked about our runners.

We have our fast, elusive backs who average more than 5 YPC (Young, Hall). When they get caught and crushed (as happened last year) then we still have our power backs (Pittman, Hillis) who are FB/RB hybrids and a guy with the potential to be a power back with some speed (Torain). If we need another scatback because something happens to both Hall and Young, Alridge will be around I hope, possibly on the PS. Sapp can clean up some messes as the backup fullback.

It looks like fun. It's not how I would have drawn it up, but now there isn't a default veteran who is "owed" carries like Henry - which looked like it could be a problem if Henry came out all busted up and useless as he was the last half of last year. Now the best man most certainly wins - and we'll see who that is, possibly on a week-to-week basis. ;)

~G

Retired_Member_001
06-02-2008, 12:22 PM
And now that Henry's gone I'm actually pretty stoked about our runners.

It's weird isn't it?

Now that Henry and his sperm have gone, everyone is really up beat about our Running Backs.