PDA

View Full Version : Denver feeling a lot like home to Williams

Denver Native (Carol)
05-29-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15186334

Veteran Jamal Williams welcomes a chance to be the answer on the D-line for once-hated Broncos.

He is on the hunt for his first house in Colorado, but Jamal Williams has carried a souvenir from the Broncos for quite some time.

The long, angry-looking scar on his lower left leg is what remains from a low block from former Broncos offensive lineman Steve Herndon that resulted in a dislocated ankle and ended Williams' 2002 season. It's a little bit of his history that brought a smile about the future.

"I was going to put a happy face tattoo right there," Williams said this week. "I think it would have looked good."

Williams is settling in at his new football home, a place that includes a Broncos jersey, of all things. The 13th-year defensive tackle was one of the Broncos' offseason acquisitions as they try to repair a run defense that collapsed down the stretch last season. Denver surrendered at least 173 yards rushing in five of its final nine games.

Williams was a little concerned with how he would be received at his new team's Dove Valley complex after a dozen years with the AFC West rival San Diego Chargers. Then there was the matter of breaking the news to his mother, Harriet.

"The game I hurt my ankle, that was the first one she ever went to in the NFL," Williams said. "I mean, I was young, saved up some money so I could have everybody out for a game I was going to be starting. My mom came. I have six brothers, they came. Had cousins come, my nephews. I brought everybody out to see me play.

"They were kind of upset when I got hurt. When I signed here and I told her, she was like, 'Are you talking about that same team?'

"But then it was like 10 seconds and she said, 'Well, you get to play San Diego twice a year, baby, and when am I going to get my new jersey?' "

The Broncos hope Williams can coax some high-quality play out his 34-year-old body. At his best, the 348-pounder has tormented offensive linemen and battered running backs on the way to three Pro Bowls.

He anchored the middle of a Chargers defense that helped San Diego win the past four division titles and five in the past six years.

"And he used to give (former Broncos center) Tom Nalen hell up front," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "So I know what he can do."

The Chargers released Williams, who missed virtually all of the 2009 season after tearing a triceps muscle in the season opener against Oakland. With his position coach for 11 of his 12 seasons in San Diego — Wayne Nunnely — having joined Josh McDaniels' staff last season, the Broncos were No. 1 on Williams' wish list.

Williams said the injury gave him time to heal a battered body. He has had a litany of surgeries, including arthroscopic surgeries on both knees in '07, yet he still played in 13 games that season.

"I'm not a quitter," Williams said. "My mentality is that's not the way I'm going to go out. I'm going to go out fighting. So, I look at it in a positive way. It gave me almost a whole season to heal up everything else. I'm fresh as I can be. I feel like I'm back in college.

"I just look at the guys who played the position before me, those are some tough sons of guns. Look, nobody's body is really meant to play football, and nobody's body is really meant to play nose tackle. That just ain't on the list. You've got to take on 600, 700 pounds worth of guys on every play. But I love it, I love being a real weekend warrior, and now I'm going to do it for the Denver Broncos."

NorthernLights
05-29-2010, 08:54 AM
The Broncos got a great player and an even better person in Jamal. This one will come back to bite my Bolts, I'm sure of that. Yes, he is getting up in age and plays the most difficult position in football, but he is so good, at 75% he is still better than 95% of the others.

Well done Broncos. This one stings.

SoCalImport
05-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll feel much better knowing that we have last years starter backing up Williams. Even if he can come in and be dominant (fingers crossed), there's not much chance he plays more than 50% of the snaps.

TXBRONC
05-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I'll feel much better knowing that we have last years starter backing up Williams. Even if he can come in and be dominant (fingers crossed), there's not much chance he plays more than 50% of the snaps.

I agree Williams will probably play about 50% of the snaps. Maybe he can play a little more than that but right now I think it will hover around 50%.

Broncolingus
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Just stay healthy for a couple of seasons big boy...we love ya!

TXBRONC
05-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Just stay healthy for a couple of seasons big boy...we love ya!

Agreed. We need him to play well stay healthy so that we can find out if Chris Baker is ever going amount anything or we draft someone who will eventually be the anchor.

arapaho2
05-29-2010, 05:43 PM
im getting more an more convinced jamall is gonna have a ass kicking season and make the chargers sorry they got stingy over a couple million dollars

Tempus Fugit
05-29-2010, 06:53 PM

I'd expect McDaniels to use him a lot like the Patriots use Wilfork. He'll be a 2-gap run stuffer who's used mostly on running downs. Wilfork has a little more ability to collapse the pocket and get to the quarterback than Williams has ever had, so that'll decrease Jamal's snaps somewhat, in comparison. Somewhere between 50% and 60% of the snaps sounds right, if he can stay healthy.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-29-2010, 08:46 PM
I really want the opposing team's offensive backfield to be his home this season...

TXBRONC
05-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I really want the opposing team's offensive backfield to be his home this season...

To that I say: :2thumbs:

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
05-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I am still very excited about Williams. He should be very productive this season and spark that D

rcsodak
05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Linemen inherently have long careers. There's not reason to believe JW won't, as well.
And having all of last year off, and knowing McD likes rotating players, I see now reason why he can't have a good year.
The only way we'll know, though, is by the ypc of opposing teams.

horsepig
05-30-2010, 06:01 PM
A year off at his age can just kill some guys' mojo, but JW sounds just like the type McD wants. I think he'll bring it right back to where he was a couple years ago and just plain ass kick ass and plug up the middle of the LOS.

There's two asses in there because that's what it will be like for runners, trying to run around two great big butts out there. Hoorah!