PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Bronco Receivers thread

Ziggy
05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Receivers competition hot for Broncos
BY FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE

ENGLEWOOD • All the Denver Broncos need is one of the three receivers they signed this offseason to be a dependable starter opposite Brandon Marshall.

Instead of signing a big-name replacement for released Javon Walker, the Broncos signed a trio of veterans who have started in the NFL but were available for modest prices. Keary Colbert was signed a couple of days into free agency. Then Samie Parker and Darrell Jackson were picked up in April, giving the Broncos an intriguing and seemingly wide-open position battle.

"Anytime you lose a guy like Javon Walker like we did, you want to bring in some people you feel can compete right away," coach Mike Shanahan said.

Rookie second-round pick Eddie Royal also will get a chance, but one of the veterans is likely to win the spot.

Jackson has the best career statistics. He had three 1,000-yard seasons in Seattle, and only two seasons ago caught 10 touchdowns in 13 games with the Seahawks.

Jackson wasn't a hot commodity because he is coming off his worst season. In his only year in San Francisco, he had 46 catches and 497 yards.

Jackson said he wasn't concerned about starting in Denver or how many catches he might get. He said, after a losing year in San Francisco, he wanted to be in a winning situation again and thinks Denver will be competitive.

"I could have went a couple places and probably been a starter right off the bat, but go through those growing pains of people rebuilding," he said.

Jackson's statistics are tops among the three, but Colbert was signed first for the biggest contract. Colbert was given a little more than $7 million over three years. He was a second-round pick by Carolina in 2004 and caught 47 passes for 754 yards and five touchdowns as a rookie. Since then, he has 62 catches.

Watching Colbert on film, Shanahan saw some of the same traits as the best receiver in Broncos history.

"We believe he has the ability, like Rod Smith, to do a number of things for our offense and do it well," Shanahan said. "He blocks well, he catches well, really an experienced guy that is exceptionally bright."

Parker, a small and fast receiver, is a dark horse. When Shanahan was asked about the players competing for a starting spot, he mentioned Colbert, Jackson, Royal, but never Parker. Parker has experience after starting 31 games over the past three seasons with the Chiefs. He said a competition among three former starters is a bit unusual, but he was enjoying it.

"It's a good experience," Parker said. "We can all push each other and make each other better."

MOtorboat
05-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Obviously, I'm on the record saying I didn't like the Parker signing. I don't think he's worth much, but the Broncos didn't give up much for him. With five guys competing for two spots, though, it can't be bad.

No one should be complacent.

Ziggy
05-22-2008, 08:15 AM
With the injuries we had last year, it's never bad to bring in a bunch of vets to compete for jobs. One of the traits that the Broncos have been lacking the last few years is depth. If Marshall comes back healthy, I think we're very deep at WR for a change.

cmhargrove
05-22-2008, 08:55 AM
The really, really awesome thing about this situation - no one is talking about Martinez being our #2 guy. I am exstatic about the competition. At the end of last season, we were looking at guys like Martinez, Jacobs, and a couple other scrubs on the roster.

With competition on the O-line, better protection for Jay, and the competition at receiver - we have hopefully turned a big corner with the offense. As long as Parker pushes Colbert and Jackson even harder, he has served his purpose.

BOSSHOGG30
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
With Cutler's arm, our depth at receiver, and our west coast scheme... Denver would be smart to use a lot more spread offense this season. I also like the addition of Peyton Hillis into this idea because of his pass catching abilities he would not only be able to take a hand off from the shotgun formation, but he is becomes a weapon as a pass catcher out of the back field.

Cugel
05-22-2008, 11:19 AM
What do you guys think will be the Broncos WR roster?

Right now:

Brandon Marshall #1

Darrell Jackson, Colbert, Martinez or Parker #2

Stokely #3

Darrell Jackson, Colbert, Martinez or Parker #4

Eddie Royal #5 (KR/PR)

#6?

I think the question is whether the Broncos keep 6 WRs this year. That would help special teams since LBs and WRs are your special teams guys. Also, if you don't really know how good your rotation is going to be, then it helps to have some backups, especially if Marshall isn't 100% to start the season.

If they keep six, then I'd guess it will be: Marshall, Royal, Stokely, Jackson, Colbert, Martinez, with Sammie Parker the odd man out. Parker could beat out Martinez though. Martinez could beat out Colbert! We just don't know.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

BOSSHOGG30
05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I think the only givens that will make the roster are Stokely, Marshall, and Royal

It will be tough for Martinez, Parker, Jackson, and Colbert to make the team.

I do think that the money spent on these guys shows you a little on how the Broncos favor each player. Colbert is probably the favorite out of the bottom group. I'm not sold on Jackson as many people are just handing him a roster spot. He will have to prove he can catch the football and that he still has something left in the tank. We need more speed at the receiver position and by the looks of things we only have two guys who can stretch the field, Parker and Royal.... plus it looks like Parker could be the odd man out with this receiver group.....leaving us with only one true speed demon.

Lonestar
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
The really, really awesome thing about this situation - no one is talking about Martinez being our #2 guy. I am exstatic about the competition. At the end of last season, we were looking at guys like Martinez, Jacobs, and a couple other scrubs on the roster.

With competition on the O-line, better protection for Jay, and the competition at receiver - we have hopefully turned a big corner with the offense. As long as Parker pushes Colbert and Jackson even harder, he has served his purpose.

Personnel wise probably now the offense needs to introduce themselves to each other and hope they can become a team sometime before the bye week but most likely later in the year..

We have a lot of new bodies that are going to be plugged in on the OLINE this year.. at least 2 as many as 4. I'd rather see the 4 so we can get them playing together all late this year instead of dragging out the transition from Nalen and Hamilton to the new kids over the next couple of years..

The sooner they play well together the better IMO..

BroncoBuff
05-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I like Martinez a lot too ... I'd prefer him over Parker, and maybe Colbert too. The problems with our WR corps is, 1) We run the ball a heckuva lot, 2) We have a #1 wideout, no questions asked, 3) Scheffler is a huge receiving threat if healthy, and 4) Our #3 slot machine is set in stone.

So what's left for a #2 guy? At the very least, you want to be economical in choosing a #2, and that's why I was positive on Martinez. But Darrell Jackson ... he is truly a first-class stud veteran. If we can afford him, we're quite lucky to have him. And remember, Colbert is a demon blocker downfield, and Shanahan loves that.

Marshall, Jackson, Stokley and Royal are locks. So ... who else makes the team? I'm guessing Colbert first, Martinez second if we keep six.

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM
What do you guys think will be the Broncos WR roster?

Right now:

Brandon Marshall #1

Darrell Jackson, Colbert, Martinez or Parker #2

Stokely #3

Darrell Jackson, Colbert, Martinez or Parker #4

Eddie Royal #5 (KR/PR)

#6?

I think the question is whether the Broncos keep 6 WRs this year. That would help special teams since LBs and WRs are your special teams guys. Also, if you don't really know how good your rotation is going to be, then it helps to have some backups, especially if Marshall isn't 100% to start the season.

If they keep six, then I'd guess it will be: Marshall, Royal, Stokely, Jackson, Colbert, Martinez, with Sammie Parker the odd man out. Parker could beat out Martinez though. Martinez could beat out Colbert! We just don't know.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I can easily see the Broncos keeping six wide receiver. My list is the same as yours with Parker being the most likely odd man out if we keep six. If we keep only five I think Colbert would beat out both Martinez and Parker.

Broncogator
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
With Cutler's arm, our depth at receiver, and our west coast scheme... Denver would be smart to use a lot more spread offense this season. I also like the addition of Peyton Hillis into this idea because of his pass catching abilities he would not only be able to take a hand off from the shotgun formation, but he is becomes a weapon as a pass catcher out of the back field.

If Zam was here he would not be happy with this :laugh:. Good thing he's now spending all his time on bike racing message boards

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I think the only givens that will make the roster are Stokely, Marshall, and Royal

It will be tough for Martinez, Parker, Jackson, and Colbert to make the team.

I do think that the money spent on these guys shows you a little on how the Broncos favor each player. Colbert is probably the favorite out of the bottom group. I'm not sold on Jackson as many people are just handing him a roster spot. He will have to prove he can catch the football and that he still has something left in the tank. We need more speed at the receiver position and by the looks of things we only have two guys who can stretch the field, Parker and Royal.... plus it looks like Parker could be the odd man out with this receiver group.....leaving us with only one true speed demon.

No one here is handing roster spots to anyone. However, at this point I would give fairly sizable edge to Jackson over Parker and Martinez. I also think that Colbert will more than likely make the team.

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
OK, this is the 2nd installation of pick the players on the opening day roster at different positions. This week we're going to look at WR's. Pick the starters and backups that you think will be on the roster when we play Oakland in the opener. Here's mine:

Starters- Marshall, Colbert
Slot- Stokely

Backups- Royal, Jackson, and my darkhorse, Edell Shepherd

Parker will be training camp fodder, and doesn't stick unless the injury bug bites hard. Marquay McDaniel goes the the practice squad, and Glen Martinez, Taylor Jacobs, and Cliff Russell are on the streets.

MOtorboat
05-23-2008, 08:09 AM
Starters - Marshall and Jackson
Third - Stokley
Fourth - Colbert
Fifth/Returnman - Royal
That other dude - Martinez

Parker is cut and heads to some other team to be their "that other dude"

Cugel
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
OK, this is the 2nd installation of pick the players on the opening day roster at different positions. This week we're going to look at WR's. Pick the starters and backups that you think will be on the roster when we play Oakland in the opener. Here's mine:

Starters- Marshall, Colbert
Slot- Stokely

Backups- Royal, Jackson, and my darkhorse, Edell Shepherd

Parker will be training camp fodder, and doesn't stick unless the injury bug bites hard. Marquay McDaniel goes the the practice squad, and Glen Martinez, Taylor Jacobs, and Cliff Russell are on the streets.

I never thought much of Sammie Parker so I won't be sorry to see him cut. As for Glenn Martinez, I'd say he's "promising" in just the same way that other Broncos long-shots like Adrian Madise, Herb Haygood and Kevin Kasper were. :coffee:

Every year it's a new scrub who has "promise." Every year the old scrubs are cut and then a couple are signed to the practice squad.

Then just as predictably, every year some person on the boards starts talking about how "Rod Smith and Antonio Gates weren't even drafted!" as if finding the Hope Diamond under the seat of an old Chevy makes it likely that a further search of old rusting cars will get you another diamond. It just doesn't work like that very often. :coffee:

NOTE: In this analogy, Glen Martinez is under the back-seat of an old '72 GMC Pacer. :laugh:

SBboundBRONCOS
05-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I never thought much of Sammie Parker so I won't be sorry to see him cut. As for Glenn Martinez, I'd say he's "promising" in just the same way that other Broncos long-shots like Adrian Madise, Herb Haygood and Kevin Kasper were. :coffee:

Every year it's a new scrub who has "promise." Every year the old scrubs are cut and then a couple are signed to the practice squad.

Then just as predictably, every year some person on the boards starts talking about how "Rod Smith and Antonio Gates weren't even drafted!" as if finding the Hope Diamond under the seat of an old Chevy makes it likely that a further search of old rusting cars will get you another diamond. It just doesn't work like that very often. :coffee:

NOTE: In this analogy, Glen Martinez is under the back-seat of an old '72 GMC Pacer. :laugh:

well then who is under the passenger floor mat in a 89 Astro Van :confused:

jk im going

1- marshall
2 - jackson
3 - stokes him and royal will both get a lot of looks this year in the slot
4 - royal
5 - colbert
6 - (could this spot be for alridge)

Retired_Member_001
05-23-2008, 06:09 PM
1 - Darrell Jackson
2 - Brandon Stokley
3 - Eddie Royal
4 - Keary Colbert
5 - Up for grabs.

You may be wondering why a certain number #15 isn't up on that list. He is not on that list because I get the feeling his arm injury will have him out for a few games. Even if he does end up coming back on time, his arm won't be up to Football standards for a few weeks. When he is better and back, it will be:

1 - Brandon Marshall
2 - Darrell Jackson
3 - Brandon Stokley
4 - Eddie Royal
5 - Keary Colbert.

A point to note is that Eddie Royal could most certainly move up the ranks as the season progresses. He will just need time.

Also, don't be suprised if Shanny goes with Colbert at 2 so he can defend the fact that he picked Colbert over Bryant Johnson.

nevcraw
05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
1 - Darrell Jackson
2 - Brandon Stokley
3 - Eddie Royal
4 - Keary Colbert
5 - Up for grabs.

You may be wondering why a certain number #15 isn't up on that list. He is not on that list because I get the feeling his arm injury will have him out for a few games. Even if he does end up coming back on time, his arm won't be up to Football standards for a few weeks. When he is better and back, it will be:

1 - Brandon Marshall
2 - Darrell Jackson
3 - Brandon Stokley
4 - Eddie Royal
5 - Keary Colbert.

A point to note is that Eddie Royal could most certainly move up the ranks as the season progresses. He will just need time.

Also, don't be suprised if Shanny goes with Colbert at 2 so he can defend the fact that he picked Colbert over Bryant Johnson.

Yeah - he will lose games instead of benching a guy that Sundquist picked up anyway..

Retired_Member_001
05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah - he will lose games instead of benching a guy that Sundquist picked up anyway..

Let me finish that off for you.

Yeah - he will lose games instead of benching a guy that Sundquist picked up anyway WITH SHANAHAN'S APPROVAL.

topscribe
05-24-2008, 07:16 PM
1 - Darrell Jackson
2 - Brandon Stokley
3 - Eddie Royal
4 - Keary Colbert
5 - Up for grabs.

1 - Brandon Marshall
2 - Darrell Jackson
3 - Brandon Stokley
4 - Eddie Royal
5 - Keary Colbert.

Wook, I don't know where you get that. Shanny has had plenty of whiffs,
but he hasn't fretted over saving face as he sent them down the road. He
has always tried to put the best 22 players on the field, draft order or
salary be damned.

-----

TXBRONC
05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Wook, I don't know where you get that. Shanny has had plenty of whiffs,
but he hasn't fretted over saving face as he sent them down the road. He
has always tried to put the best 22 players on the field, draft order or
salary be damned.

-----

Yep, Shanahan always tries to put the 22 players on the field, because his job is win games. It's tough to win games if you're worried about saving face. :nod:

Inkana7
05-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Colbert can be a very good and dependable #2 for us a la Eddie Mac. Don't be surprised to see him win that spot.

To me, the Jackson along with the drafting of Royal so high signing says something ominous about Marshall's arm. I have a bad feeling we wont see much of Brandon on the field this year.

topscribe
05-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Colbert can be a very good and dependable #2 for us a la Eddie Mac. Don't be surprised to see him win that spot.

To me, the Jackson along with the drafting of Royal so high signing says something ominous about Marshall's arm. I have a bad feeling we wont see much of Brandon on the field this year.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_ugh.gif

-----

MOtorboat
05-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I have got to say something.

I don't give a rats ass who it is, but somebody better catch the ball that's passed to his ass. I don't care if it's Marshall, Colbert, Parker, Jackson, Martinez or Royal...someone better be able to catch the damn ball. :D

:coffee:

topscribe
05-24-2008, 10:41 PM

I don't give a rats ass who it is, but somebody better catch the ball that's passed to his ass. I don't care if it's Marshall, Colbert, Parker, Jackson, Martinez or Royal...someone better be able to catch the damn ball. :D

Whut he said!! ^^^ http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_annoyed.gif

-----

Ziggy
05-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Colbert may be the best blocking WR on our roster right now. In Shanahan's offensive scheme, that's a huge factor in who starts and who doesn't. It's not all about who looks the best catching the ball. Shanahan has always put priority on the running game. He knows you can't win without one.

WhatEver!!!
05-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I know the receivers have to block well to fit into our system but I want to know how many of our receivers can break the initial tackle or get by the first contact to get that needed firstdown?? That would be the telling factor for me.

3rd and 10, who will get the ball?? If Marshall is sidelined... Are we going to pass to Stokley on all 3rd downs??

Ziggy
05-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I know the receivers have to block well to fit into our system but I want to know how many of our receivers can break the initial tackle or get by the first contact to get that needed firstdown?? That would be the telling factor for me.

3rd and 10, who will get the ball?? If Marshall is sidelined... Are we going to pass to Stokley on all 3rd downs??

No, I think the TE's and RB's will play a big part in the passing game on 3rd downs. If our offensive line can hold thier own this year, look for Daniel Graham to be more of a receiving threat. He has decent hands, but had to stay home and block most of the time last season.

TXBRONC
05-25-2008, 06:56 PM

Maybe Colbert can be reliable but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. He's had all of one solid season in four years. That being said, maybe the change in scenery is what Keary needs.

Dean
05-26-2008, 10:48 PM

That's a tough place to try to catch a football. ;) The receiving stats I beleive would climb if the QB threw the ball somewhere other than the receivers ass.

If Marshall heals we are relatively sure of a strong #1, #3, and a TE receiving core. That already exceeds what the Broncos normally put on the field. If one of their aquisitions can pan out as a decent #2, the team will far exceed all expectations that I might have.

MOtorboat
05-27-2008, 12:26 AM
That's a tough place to try to catch a football. ;) The receiving stats I beleive would climb if the QB threw the ball somewhere other than the receivers ass.

If Marshall heals we are relatively sure of a strong #1, #3, and a TE receiving core. That already exceeds what the Broncos normally put on the field. If one of their aquisitions can pan out as a decent #2, the team will far exceed all expectations that I might have.

It's an out route with the receiver on the outside shoulder...OK....:coffee: