PDA

View Full Version : Smith poised for bigger role in '10

Denver Native (Carol)
05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15170365

The Broncos signed a cornerback in free agency and selected two more in the draft, but don't exclude 2009 second- round draft pick Alphonso Smith from playing a big role.

Smith has spent time as the first-team nickel cornerback in this week's passing camp, ahead of players such as veteran Nate Jones, who signed in March, fellow second-year player Tony Carter and rookies Perrish Cox and Syd'Quan Thompson.

Sure, it is only May, but it is a positive sign for Smith, who had little go right in a disappointing rookie year, during which he was passed over several times for playing time as the team's third cornerback.

"I'm just trying to take as many reps as I can to get better as a nickel player and a cornerback and to help the defense," Smith said.

Smith said he spent much of his offseason studying the Broncos' defense so he is better prepared for what he hopes will be a better sophomore season.

"I needed that leap year," Smith said.

Veteran cornerback Champ Bailey said he already has seen improvement from Smith.

"He's grown a lot," Bailey said. "I think he understands what we expect from him."

New way to practice.

The Broncos have altered the way they practice special teams, including kickoff and punt coverage, for the 2010 season. Coach Josh McDaniels said his staff has decided to break the coverage units into specialized groups, much as they practice during offensive and defensive sessions.

In Monday's practice that was open to media, that included a punt coverage drill with two players teaming to "tackle" a returner and a specialized drill for "gunners" such as David Bruton and Josh Barrett.

Bailey, on Tebow.

Bailey remains a die-hard Georgia Bulldog, so he had to put aside the loyalty to his college when the Broncos drafted Tim Tebow, who starred at quarterback for Florida, Georgia's biggest rival.

Tebow was 3-1 against Georgia in his collegiate career.

"I hated him. He was a Gator and I'm a Dawg," Bailey said, laughing. "He was a great college football player, probably the best ever. He did everything in college that you can probably do. I wish my career went like that."

Dirk
05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Here's to Smith having a break-out year!! :beer:

LTC Pain
05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Here's to Smith having a break-out year!! :beer:

I'm with You Dirk! :defense::elefant::listen:

SOCALORADO.
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Champ Bailey's "Emergency Contact" is Tim Tebow.

Tempus Fugit
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
But how can he have a bigger role if he's not going to make the roster? ;)

SOCALORADO.
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
But how can he have a bigger role if he's not going to make the roster? ;)

Alphie will be traded by next Wed.

arapaho2
05-27-2010, 12:05 PM
he has the raw physical talent to be something...can he adapt it to the nfl and become a starting cb...cause a 14th overall pick is to much for a career nickle

lets hope he shows something this year

honz
05-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Funny how they use the word bigger to describe a midget CB...more unintentional humor from the Denver Post.

dogfish
05-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Funny how they use the word bigger to describe a midget CB...more unintentional humor from the Denver Post.

i also had to laugh at smith's expense over that one. . .

nice journalism, DP. . . . :rolleyes:

dunk7
05-29-2010, 12:21 AM
His bigger role will be man-to-man coverage on all WR's that are 5-9 and under.

jhildebrand
05-29-2010, 01:00 AM

I did a giant :lol: post at another forum about the myth of CB's. The average height of a CB in the NFL (at that time) was 5'10".

I also posted several HOF CB's as short as Smith. I don't think his stature should be an issue or an excuse. Like Arapaho pointed out, a #14 is too high for this guy to be anything less than a starter at some point.

Lonestar
05-29-2010, 04:32 PM
The kid will give all he has got and if it is a bust then it it no worse than almost all of mmikeys fir day choices wre from w
1999 to PResent excepting perhaps 06 and frankly the jury is out on that one.

If smith is a bust then he probably will not be the last one either.

Although I have a lot more confidence tiday than I have since MIKEY the GM started DAFTING players.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums