PDA

View Full Version : Get to Know: Matthew Willis

Denver Native (Carol)
05-26-2010, 07:14 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10149

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Matthew Willis has always been versatile.

He went to UCLA to play track, but was ultimately recruited to the football field. He played in 21 career games with three starts for the Bruins, totaling 24 receptions for 248 yards and three touchdowns.

When he was picked up by the Baltimore Ravens as a college free agent, he earned playing time in five games as a rookie, hauling in an 11-yard reception and notching a special teams stop.

He has also always been fast.

As a freshman at UCLA, he placed third in the 400-meter hurdles at the U.S. Junior Nationals. Now as a Bronco, Head Coach Josh McDaniels said Willis' speed can be a difference-maker on the field.

"(Willis and Kenny McKinley) are two of our fastest players on the team and add a different element for us," McDaniels said.

But the receiver's NFL journey hasn't been easy.

He was on and off of the practice squad in Baltimore as a rookie in 2007, then spent most of the 2008 season out of football before signing to the Broncos' practice squad for the final game of the year. He spent all of 2009 on the practice squad -- until the final game, when he cracked the starting lineup.

Now the third-year receiver is looking to build on that experience, and we had a chance to sit down with him for a Q&A session..

How are OTAs going so far?
"There's a learning curve. I think Josh is pushing us to learn a lot of information in a short amount of time, so I think it's more mental right now than it is physical."

As a receiver, what do you get out of these practices?
"Right now it's definitely getting in shape, that's the big emphasis. Being able to do reps back to back to back, then getting a good base with our base system where we can come into training camp and sort of have a head start on the first few days because we've got an understanding of all the basics coming out of OTAs."

You were on the practice squad for every game in 2009 -- until the last one. What was that feeling like, getting on the field and in the starting lineup?
"It was unexpected. I knew we had a four-wides package and if we were going to run it, that's where I was going to be on the offense. To have it be called as the first play -- I wasn't expecting it. I was like, 'Four wides? OK.' Then to start the game, it was a good experience to get my first start. It was great."

Was it overwhelming at all?
"No, because I wasn't really thinking about the start. I didn't realize it until I think the next day, when you see the little stat sheet with who started the game. I was like, 'Oh, OK, I got the start.' But at the time, it was just make sure I'm doing what I've got to do on the field."

How are you looking to build off of that?
"You get a start and you want to keep playing. You get an opportunity to play and you want to make plays. That's what this is for me, OTAs, it's the chance to show the coaches that I can make plays. I can be the guy to make plays. I can do these things that they need me to do, and you just go from there. You just build off that."

You played in five games as a rookie before being out of football for most of the 2008 season, then on the practice squad for most of 2009. What has that journey been like?
"It started long before that. I went to UCLA to run track, so I didn't play football for five years. Then all of a sudden I started playing football, get an opportunity to start, get an opportunity with Baltimore, get to play your rookie year and then the next year I sat out. It definitely made me not take the next year for granted. It made me know that it could be over at any point. It was a humbling experience and it just made me even more hungry to come out this year and be on that roster opening day."

How would you describe being on the practice squad?
"It's rough, because you're sort of the legs. You do all the running. You might play offense if a guy is hurt or can't practice, then go play show-team offense, then go to special teams. So you're moving and running around, so it's hard, but it just makes you better. You fight through it and you understand that that's what you have to do to get to where you want to be."

Is it tough practicing all week but not being able to play in the games?
"That's the part that sucks. You want to play. Everybody wants to play, and not even having the chance to play is the hardest mental battle. But it's all about just fighting."

So was starting in Week 17 like a reward?
"That was sort of a good ending note for me, to end being able to play, to start, and it gave me something to play off of coming into this season. Things ended on a good note with a great opportunity, and just build from that coming into this year."

With so many receivers on the roster, is there still a camaraderie throughout the competition?
"Absolutely. If the young guys have questions, we'll answer them. There's no bad blood between these guys. Everyone understands that we're all fighting for the same job, but you're not going to try to screw over the other guys. The competition is going to make all of us better, regardless of what happens. He's pushing me, I'm pushing the next guy and it revolves around in the competition. Everyone's going to be better because of it."

Do you feel being able to contribute on special teams gives you an edge?
"I don't know if it's an edge, but if that's my role on the team, special teams and offense, then that's what it is. Special teams adds value to me as a player. I can do special teams, I can return kicks, cover kicks, and as they say, the more you can do, the more you can do."

Have you set goals for yourself?
"Absolutely. Short-term goals, long-term goals, and being on the roster opening day is one of the big ones. That's sort of my focus. Right now it's an everyday kind of thing, but when camp rolls around, that's my big goal -- being on the roster."

Coach McDaniels said you and Kenny McKinley are two of the fastest players on the team. Would you agree with that assessment?
"I like to think I'm faster than Kenny. With my track background, my track coach always said that whatever sport you're going to play, you're going to have to run, jump or throw something. I run now."

Could you take Kenny in a race?
"We'll save it for one day. Maybe we'll have a race."