PDA

View Full Version : Did McDaniels get too offensive?

broncobryce
05-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Interesting theory from this guy.......

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/a4hc0
Posted Tue May 25th by Ian Henson from bleacherreport

Is it better to be too offensive or too defensive?

It’s been said that defense wins championships, I’ve been known to agree to that, but offense wins games. It wasn’t often the lack of defense that killed the Denver Broncos last season, it was usually the lack of offense.

The defense deserves most of the credit for the early season rise and hardly any of the blame for the sharp fall following. Only the San Diego Chargers managed to score more than 17 points on the Broncos prior to the bye week (23).

Immediately following that week the Baltimore Ravens put up 30, the Ravens first non-special teams touchdown coming off of a (then rookie) Knowshon Moreno fumble.

Then it got dark for Denver.

Kyle Orton’s never been known for throwing interceptions, but in the week following Baltimore facing the Pittsburgh Steelers he threw one-fourth (though it would be more, had he not given a long ball up to Randy Moss in a first-half hail mary against the New England Patriots) of his seasonal interceptions and the Broncos were routed by the Steelers 28-10.

Did you know that the Washington Redskins had the number one pass defense in the NFL in week ten when they faced the Broncos?

Didn’t matter, Brandon Marshall was good on a 40 and 75-yard touchdown in the first half against that defense. Then Orton went down, and Chris Simms came in, do I even need to finish what I don’t want to begin? I don’t know that there’s a defense in the NFL that could produce when their offense puts up negative eight yards in the second half (which Denver did under Simms). Orton played one half and put up better stats then the Redskins Jason Campbell did in an entire game.

Week ten again, 26-3, Chargers victory, you’d think the defense had a lot to do with that… You’d be wrong though, two fumbles in the red zone by the Broncos offense (one on the goal line, Moreno, Marshall, shoving and one by Simms which led to a touchdown). An injured Orton interception and a recovered on-side kick had a lot to do with the score. The Broncos were inside the red zone four time that game and remained unable to convert. It would be easy to point at this game as the case against Orton, but given that he was injured, you’ve got to give the guy a couple stars.

Though to play devil’s advocate in Philip Rivers‘ own words, the Broncos didn’t blitz nearly as much as they had the first game. Marshall referred to the loss as, “The most frustrating game I’ve ever played in.”

Then it was the New York Giants turn and the Kansas City Chiefs turn, both games the Broncos won convincingly. Offense clicking on all cylinders and defense able to withstand basically everything.

Now, the Indianapolis Colts… Week 14, did you know the Orton finished with more passing yards than Peyton Manning? Of course you remember the Marshall broke the NFL record for most catches in a game, the Broncos even picked off Manning three times! The Broncos however went 6 for 17 on third downs and 0 for 3 on fourth downs. Credit a great Colts defense, but add further kindle to my flame.

Yes, Dallas Clark seemed to have lit the Broncos defense up by scoring three times, but look at how many yards he had (43). That to me is poor play calling near the red zone, not lack of defensive strength. I’m not saying the entire game the defensive play calling was bad, just in the red zone, but this is really the first time I can say it was the defenses fault. However, it was week fourteen and against the Colts. The Broncos inability to run the ball also contributed to this, some other factors being that the Broncos were across the fifty nine times, scoring three times and Orton’s lone interception came inside the red zone.

Does anyone know a good red zone QB? Maybe a guy that could even run it in himself? Or catch it himself (no dummy, Tim Tebow doesn’t catch) if need be?

Despite all of that, the Broncos arguably gave the Colts one of their toughest games of the season aside from the Super Bowl. Yes, I know they lost to the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets, but were they playing their starters jackass?

Here lies my thesis or conspiracy theory, you judge. After the loss in the Colts game is where I am assuming there was a shift in Denver, due to what Josh McDaniels perceived as a lack of good play calling in the red zone. The game against the Colts could have been a very big win for Denver, but McDaniels revealed his age and experience by pulling the reins from then defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Who, by my account, had done a terrific job up until that point.

McDaniels made the same mistake that Mike Shanahan had constantly made, he insisted on a bend but don’t break defense, as opposed to an attack defense. In my mind the attack defense is what led to Manning throwing three interceptions and getting beat three times in the red zone by the Manning to Clark connection. Panicked with an eight and five record, a chance to make the playoffs and the possibility of being slapped in the face by failure McDaniels may have got a little too ahead of himself.

The bend but don’t break defense was enforced against the Oakland Raiders, this is evident by the amount of yards the Raiders had on the ground (241), but ultimately low score (20). The Raiders were able to pull away with a win, it wasn’t luck (it never is), but it was about as close to it as it can come. If it were skill the Raiders would have never let JaMarcus Russell go this month (and hasn’t been signed since).

So McDaniels let up a bit, gave it back to Nolan, men can admit when they’re wrong. Going into week sixteen against the Philadelphia Eagles the Broncos were in a must win situation (well, almost, they needed help). McDaniels likely gave the reins back with these words, ‘Keep it under thirty (points)…’

So what occurred? Full on defensive offensive onslaught! Which resulted in nine Broncos penalties that accounted for 95-yards (remember Brandon Stokley slapping the referee’s finger?), he’d been scout teaming for the Broncos number one defense the whole week and was fired up too (I’m kidding, maybe). The Broncos defense accounted for five fumbles (but only two recoveries) and a Donovan McNabb interception.

Did anyone notice the offensive formation the Eagles employed predominantly against the Broncos? Yeah, that was the spread. It kept Denver from huddling and had analysts calling the Eagles the hottest team in the NFC following the game. This is the second game that I’m willing to say that Denver’s defense could be blamed for the loss. Though the offense and an injured Correll Buckhalter helped a ton, Moreno had 18 yards on the ground.

This game I see McDaniels using in his final stand against Nolan as proof that something needed to be done (and it couldn’t possibly have had anything to do with that atrocious running offense). McDaniels again implored the bend but don’t break in week seventeen against the Chiefs and in resulted in a record day (and that’s saying a lot given the greatness of some of the Chiefs running backs seasons) for Jamaal Charles. Given that the Chiefs had what fifteen plus years of tape to see this same defense?

It also resulted in an unfix-able rift developing between Nolan and McDaniels.

Some will point to the fact that in 2010, had McDaniels had a bad season, Nolan would be his immediate replacement. Some will point to the fact that McDaniels by all assumptions seems to have taken control away from Nolan at some point (I’m a fan of the later). There are lots of other theories that we may develop, but I think after much evaluation…

McDaniels agrees with me, it’s not the opposite teams offenses that beat Denver, it’s Denver offense that beat Denver. It wasn’t the defense that was faltering and flailing, it was the offense that was.

I’m not even saying it was play calling, it was an utter inability of the Broncos offenses’ behalf to convert third downs and score inside the red zone.

Now you look at Denver in their 2010 draft and you see immediate proof as to what McDaniels blames. Fans would have had us picking a defensive tackle, a center and a guard with the first three picks. McDaniels chose a wide receiver, a quarterback, an all purpose lineman, a center, another wide receiver, a kick returner and another center with their first seven picks! They didn’t pick a pure defensive player until the seventh round and they had to trade to do it! Excuse the exclamation points, but I feel like McDaniels knows what he’s doing and it’s clear to him what went wrong and if you study you’ll see what went wrong too.

An offense that produces, creates a defense that seduces.

broncobryce
05-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I figured this would stir the pot....

Northman
05-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Good article and spot on. Lets just hope that Martindale can continue to keep the defense improving. If not....

BroncoWave
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Does defense still really win championships? Look at the 2 Super Bowl teams this year, the 2 best offenses in the league, both with average defenses. Yeah it's important to have a good defense, but a great offense can get it done too.

slim
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM
The defense deserves most of the credit for the early season rise and hardly any of the blame for the sharp fall following.

:laugh:

Uh, no.

Tempus Fugit
05-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Fans would have had us picking a defensive tackle, a center and a guard with the first three picks. McDaniels chose a wide receiver, a quarterback, an all purpose lineman, a center, another wide receiver, a kick returner and another center with their first seven picks! They didn’t pick a pure defensive player until the seventh round and they had to trade to do it! Excuse the exclamation points, but I feel like McDaniels knows what he’s doing and it’s clear to him what went wrong and if you study you’ll see what went wrong too.

An offense that produces, creates a defense that seduces.

In the offseason, they signed multiple players for the D-line, including Jamal Williams, who's an excellent NT when healthy. As the author notes, the team did take a center, which was to be expected, and it did take a lineman which one can certainly point to as a guard. They also traded away Marshall, and needed to bring in receivers to try lessening that blow.

It seems to me that the author of the piece just ignored a lot of facts in pursuit of his agenda.

Northman
05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Does defense still really win championships? Look at the 2 Super Bowl teams this year, the 2 best offenses in the league, both with average defenses. Yeah it's important to have a good defense, but a great offense can get it done too.

Well, one could say that it was defense that sealed the deal for the Saints this past year. The INT for a TD sealed the deal.

NightTrainLayne
05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
This article seems like obvious 20/20 hindsight. Basing opinion solely on results of the latter half of the season. Defense played well in a game? Nolan gets the credit. Defense played poorly in a game? McD gets the blame.

I don't think it takes a genius to argue that the offense wasn't up to snuff last season, but this guy is really all over the place with his assumptions about the defensive side of the ball.

BroncoWave
05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, one could say that it was defense that sealed the deal for the Saints this past year. The INT for a TD sealed the deal.

If not for their great offense they are never in a position for that pick to have ever happened. Plus, any team can get a fluke pick-6. You're not trying to say the Saints had a great defense because of one play are you?

Northman
05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
If not for their great offense they are never in a position for that pick to have ever happened. Plus, any team can get a fluke pick-6. You're not trying to say the Saints had a great defense because of one play are you?

Of course not. But if you kind of look at the history of SB's (Especially close ones like Dal/Pitt, Den/GB, NO/INDY) you see where even a average defense was needed to seal a victory late in the game. Hell, even on paper the Patriots were overmatched by the Rams but it was defense that kept the Patriots in the game and allowed them to win. In the SB's where defense carried them they were generally blowouts even with subpar offenses.

dogfish
05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
i'm not going to read the whole thing (not off bleacher report), but if the essense of the "artical" is that we spent too many draft picks on offense (for whatever reason), i can't agree with that at all. . .

we needed it, that was obvious. . . did we have needs on defense too? sure, of course. . . but clearly, we tried to patch the most immediate of them with a couple of vets who can play right away, in positions where rookies typically don't contribute that much. . . that, and we're at least hoping for internal improvement, both from a second year in the new front, and the improvement that you hope for from young guys like darcell mcbath and robert ayers, maybe alphonso smith-- and hopefully vets like doom and DJ getting more comfortable. . . hell, DJ's probably ecstatic just because he doesn't have to change positions OR learn a new scheme for what, the first time in his pro career?

between losing marshall, scheffler, hamilton and weigman, and not having a potential long term answer at quarterback, our needs on offense were more immediate. . . you have to have receivers to play any type of spread offense, and marshall was our only playmaker in the passing game last year. . . it's a passing league, a quarterback-driven league. . . unless you're the 2000 ravens you can't win with defense and a shitty grind-it-out offense. . . and we weren't one or two defensive draft picks away from the 2000 ravens, at all. . .

however. . . if maybe we could have avoided a few of allll those brutal three-and-outs last year, maybe the defense wouldn't have folded down the stretch. . . who knows. . . sure, it's a calculated risk to invest the way we did, but when you're a .500 team turning over your roster, you generally do have more holes than high picks, and you gotta make some choices. . . getting another good linebacker would have been a big relief, and we did have several top 'backers on the visits list that we pretty much picked from-- the draft just didn't fall that way, and the quality ran out quick once those top few guys were off the board. . . i highly doubt we'll regret drafting the O-line reinforcements that everyone could see were in such dire need of. . .

hell, i still wish we could've drafted another running back. . .

getting a talented young guy like perrish cox with a late pick, at a position which had such a crying need for fresh legs, could be one factor that redeems the lack of high picks spent to fortify the :defense:, though. . . if his mind's right, he could develop into a quality starter for us a year or two down the road. . .

silkamilkamonico
05-26-2010, 07:03 PM

Defense builds dynastys. Offense can generally come in and steal a postseason here and there, but defensive minded teams are the ones that generate the success year after year.

T.K.O.
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
he forgot to mention we had the 31st ranked run defense in the league for the 10 game stretch we blew chunks !

Bosco
05-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Did anyone else's brain hurt after reading that article?

Shazam!
05-27-2010, 12:58 AM
The defense deserves most of the credit for the early season rise and hardly any of the blame for the sharp fall following.

Stopped reading right there.

Poet
05-27-2010, 03:47 AM

You need a great team overall, however....

Only Pittsburgh and New England won multiple SB's this decade. Both teams were capable offensively, but were more defensive orientated.

The Ravens won a SB and were only about defense.

The Giants won a SB being a mainly defensive team that destroyed the best offense of all time (statistically).

The Bucs were a defensive team that won on the back of defense. They also beat an Oakland team that was based on offense.

The Rams, Colts and Saints are the only team that was based mainly on offense to win the SB this decade.

If you had to put all your eggs in one basket, defense would be the way to go.

Obviously being a well rounded team like the Patriots and Steelers (especially Pitts' second SB this decade) is a huge boon and better.

arapaho2
05-27-2010, 11:57 AM

the saints gave up 1 point more per game then did the broncos...they had an offense...we didnt

broncofaninfla
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I have to admit I agree with most of this article and have been posting similar statements since last season. The putrid offense in 2009 put a lot of pressure on the defense and kept them on the field way too much. The offense also seemed to kill what ever momentum the defense was able to build at times. The defense wasn't without out fault but the offense did little to help the defense last season.

BroncoWave
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
the saints gave up 1 point more per game then did the broncos...they had an offense...we didnt

That's exactly my point though. People criticize us for going almost all offense in the draft but the Saints proved you can win a SB with a great offense and average defense.

broncofaninfla
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
That's exactly my point though. People criticize us for going almost all offense in the draft but the Saints proved you can win a SB with a great offense and average defense.

I'd say the Saints had a solid defense with a very good DC. Greg Williams put his guys into postion to make plays and they did.

Bosco
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I'd say the Saints had a solid defense with a very good DC. Greg Williams put his guys into postion to make plays and they did.

The Saints used basically the same philosophy Mike Shanahan did to win his Super Bowls. Have the offense jump out to big leads early and then allow the defense to pin it's ears back and play aggressive.

arapaho2
05-27-2010, 03:46 PM

true but it doesnt happen always...and my point was the saints werent that bad of a defense...their offense kept them off the field and more importantly kept them in a soft prevent type of deal alot of the time i would think since they were so prolific at scoreing and getting a lead

in the end we were the 7th ranked defense and gave up 20.3 ppg...they were ranked much lower and gave up 21.3ppg..

EMB6903
05-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Agreed...Defense wins championships is the most over-rated line in football.

great overall team play wins titles... that and getting hot at the right time.

Poet
05-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Agreed...Defense wins championships is the most over-rated line in football.

great overall team play wins titles... that and getting hot at the right time.

How?

Defensive orientated teams are consistently the winners. History, and even RECENT history shows that.

And before we go any further with the Saints, they are the exception and not the rule. I would have loved to see them get tested in the SB by a 3-4 defense like Pitt the previous year.

T.K.O.
05-28-2010, 09:33 AM
it took a fantastic (almost miraculas)offensive play for pit to win their last sb so i would say their offense won that sb

TXBRONC
05-28-2010, 12:50 PM
it took a fantastic (almost miraculas)offensive play for pit to win their last sb so i would say their offense won that sb

Cardinals were averageing over 30 points per game in the playoffs. The Steelers defense held them to 23. I would say it was the defense that gave them a chance to win it in the end.

Lonestar
05-30-2010, 05:44 AM
Bleive what you want defense keeps you in games. In most cases sets up the O in good to great field position so while they do not oiutright win games VERY few purely offensive teams have won all the marbles.

Offense wins games but defenses. Do indeed win championships. Just look back at the past decade or so and see who won the lombardis.

And nickle or diming it with a play here and there means squat. Does not mean they have to have top 5 D's but they have to be able to make stops when it counts and ours has not been able to do that in decades CONSISTENTLY. Remember how many of those games during the SB years that John had to come back from behind to win it after building a HUGE first quarter lead. Even then MIKEY sucked as a head coach.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
05-30-2010, 05:50 AM
IIRC NOL Got lots of Turn overs from their D this past year.

While not great satisticaly in yards or scoring they allowed the O to pour on the coals with cheap scores. MOSTLY TD's IIRC.

ursamajor
05-30-2010, 06:03 AM
The Bucs were a defensive team that won on the back of defense. They also beat an Oakland team that was based on offense.

That, and Callahan was still using Gruden's playbook.

Lonestar
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
In the offseason, they signed multiple players for the D-line, including Jamal Williams, who's an excellent NT when healthy.
It seems to me that the author of the piece just ignored a lot of facts in pursuit of his agenda.

And that left little doubt in my mind of the authors agenda was to trash a young coach.

I have seen nothing that points to Josh telling nolan to "BEND but not BREAK".

If anything everthing I seem to have seen was he wanted him to be more agressive.

Blecher report IIRC is usually regarded as trash. Wonder how many that seemed to think it was spot on are closet haters and are wishing for a new HC maybe even a few years from know when WAS fires mikey how they will pine to want him back regardless of how we are doing.
Talking about agendas.

Lonestar
05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Or for that matter that Josh took or directed the play calling during the year.