View Full Version : Ryan 'Sweet Feet' Clady Impresses

kmonty
05-22-2008, 05:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-clady&prov=ap&type=lgns

Rookie left tackle getting up to speed

By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer 24 minutes ago

Buzz Up
Print

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Ryan Clady has been given a nickname more befitting a tailback than a tackle.

The Denver Broncos’ rookie left tackle was dubbed “Sweet Feet” this week at quarterback camp by fellow offensive lineman P.J. Alexander.

The moniker definitely fits. The Boise State product’s fancy footwork is one of the reasons the Broncos drafted him with the 12th overall pick in April, and then instantly named him the protector of quarterback Jay Cutler’s blind side.

“What does ‘Sweet Feet’ mean?” Shanahan said when asked about the rookie’s new nickname. “Does it mean you’ve got pretty good feet? He has pretty good feet.”

On draft day, Shanahan even praised Clady for his ability to shuffle his feet, which Clady credits to years of playing pickup basketball.

“I haven’t been around a tackle that has that type of feet,” Shanahan said at the time.

Clady and his “Sweet Feet” have drawn rave reviews so far in camp. Then again, all the rookies have.

“They are all Pro Bowl players now,” Shanahan said. “But you never know until you’ve seen them in pads. I’m pleased with what I’ve seen.”

The Broncos are hoping the 6-foot-6, 317-pound Clady can slide in and take over for the retired Matt Lepsis. Clady is even wearing the same number (78) that Lepsis wore.

“It’s been good,” Clady said of his first workouts with the team. “I’ve just been working hard and trying to learn the system and plays. It’s a lot more detail than in college. It’s a little challenging.”

He feels like all eyes have been upon him, everyone watching his every block. Not that he minds the extra attention, especially from his fellow offensive linemen. They’ve been quick to offer him pointers and advice.

So far, the hardest adjustment for Clady has been the alarm going off at 5 a.m. in order to be at practice on time. He’s used to waking up around 9 a.m.

Other than that, Clady said the transition from college to pro hasn’t been all that bad.

While Clady was anointed the starter soon after he was picked, the job doesn’t automatically belong to him. He will have to fight for it.

“We’re going to start him out at No. 1, but he’s got to earn that position — just like everybody else,” Shanahan said. “We will evaluate him as time goes on.”

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for posting this article. This isn't first time that I have heard that he has very good footwork.

Dortoh
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM
While I'm certainly excited about Ryan and hope he turns out to be a beast I hope the nickname does not stick

elsid13
05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Why do I have the strange feeling that Clady going to trip over something and hurt himself because of those "sweet feet".

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Why do I have the strange feeling that Clady going to trip over something and hurt himself because of those "sweet feet".

Because you're feeling paranoid over all the other injuries we've had recently. :D

turftoad
05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
While I'm certainly excited about Ryan and hope he turns out to be a beast I hope the nickname does not stick

I don't care what they call him as long as he can pancake the crap out of Merriman a bunch of times a game.

LRtagger
05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
hopefully he doesnt apply to be on dancing with the stars and miss camp

kmonty
05-22-2008, 06:24 PM
hopefully he doesnt apply to be on dancing with the stars and miss camp

You know, if he ends up going to 7 pro bowls and wins an MVP award I really wouldn't care.

;)

MHCBill
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Is he a punishing run blocker or more the finese type?

Sassy
05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Clady and his “Sweet Feet” have drawn rave reviews so far in camp. Then again, all the rookies have.
“They are all Pro Bowl players now,” Shanahan said. “But you never know until you’ve seen them in pads. I’m pleased with what I’ve seen.”

Very nice!

elsid13
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Is he a punishing run blocker or more the finese type?

More of grabber then mauler at this point. He needs to work on hand placement and technique.

WhatEver!!!
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I would love to see the offense start tossing the ball around more. With the blind side secure Culter will have time to rollout and hit Royal, Marshall, or Jackson 40-50 yards downfield. Or would it be awesome to have Cutler hit Hillis down the middle for 20-30...
Sweetness!!!

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
I would love to see the offense start tossing the ball around more. With the blind side secure Culter will have time to rollout and hit Royal, Marshall, or Jackson 40-50 yards downfield. Or would it be awesome to have Cutler hit Hillis down the middle for 20-30...
Sweetness!!!

I don't think we'll become a pass heavy offense. I think Shanahan will continue try to keep the run to pass ratio close to 50-50.

DenBronx
05-23-2008, 12:38 AM
cladys going to be a stud...alot of guys disliked picking him in round 1 but we filled a huge need and hopefully he can stay healthy throughout cutlers career.

WhatEver!!!
05-23-2008, 05:07 AM
I don't think we'll become a pass heavy offense. I think Shanahan will continue try to keep the run to pass ratio close to 50-50.

I believe you close with your percentage but I think it would be more 60-40 run but with such good talent/ promise/ protential in the Wideout position I would like to see Shanny open the passing game up.

TXBRONC
05-23-2008, 05:48 AM
cladys going to be a stud...alot of guys disliked picking him in round 1 but we filled a huge need and hopefully he can stay healthy throughout cutlers career.

He wasn't my first choice among offensive linemen but I'm in no way disappointed. It was good solid pick.

elsid13
05-23-2008, 06:11 AM
I believe you close with your percentage but I think it would be more 60-40 run but with such good talent/ promise/ protential in the Wideout position I would like to see Shanny open the passing game up.

With a rookie LT I expect it will be more 60 40 run to protect Culter blind side. Plus, Shanahan isn't a pass happy coach, he a ball control type of guy. Most of passing attack is designed around slants and crossing routes. Short pass to keep the ball moving.

TXBRONC
05-23-2008, 07:05 AM
With a rookie LT I expect it will be more 60 40 run to protect Culter blind side. Plus, Shanahan isn't a pass happy coach, he a ball control type of guy. Most of passing attack is designed around slants and crossing routes. Short pass to keep the ball moving.

Shanahan isn't shy about throwing the ball and at the same time he isn't run oriented. I'm pretty sure that by the time the season ends the run to pass ratio will be close to 1:1.

TXBRONC
05-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Here's something augment what we have already. This is from yesterday's RMN.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/sports/denver-broncos/

Rookie Clady has the world at his fast, graceful feet
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Thursday, May 22, 2008

Offensive lineman Ryan Clady out of Boise State participates in a warm-up drill Thursday. Clady has been dubbed "Sweet Feet" by fellow lineman P.J. Alexander.

Ryan Clady hasn't felt the hot breath of opposing pass rushers down his neck.

The Broncos' first-round draft pick hasn't been exposed to an entire professional playbook - not even close, at this juncture. Heck, he hasn't even cashed his first paycheck.

But only four days into quarterback camp at Dove Valley, the rookie's got himself a nickname, courtesy of one of his fellow offensive linemen.

"P.J. called me 'Sweet Feet,' " Clady said, grudgingly, Thursday.

Well, if the oversized shoes fit . . .

"Yeah, 'Sweet Feet,' what's wrong with that?" asked P.J. Alexander, author of the rookie's tag. "His feet, from what I've seen, are pretty sweet. He's quick on his feet, moves well. He's impressive, man."

And size, athleticism and ability to translate learning concepts to the practice field are about the only information that can be gleaned at this stage.

"It's not hard to tell when you see him on the field, he's pretty athletic," Alexander said. "Every day he does something with his feet that's impressive to me."

So far, Clady, the No. 12 overall pick in April's draft from Boise State, has demonstrated that even if he's late off the snap, his quickness enables him to catch up with everyone despite missing a beat.

He also can recover if he's out of position because of his solid footwork, meaning he doesn't have to reach with his hands to compensate - a dangerous proposition against skilled defensive ends.

"Shoot, he's gifted, man. His feet are unbelievable," echoed Erik Pears, who is competing with Clady at left tackle this week. "He's obviously a huge human being, but he's got quick, quick feet and heavy hands. I see no reason why he shouldn't be great. He looks good."

Learning the Broncos' blocking scheme has been Clady's biggest challenge so far - it's "a lot more in detail than in college," he said.

Another challenge: "Probably waking up at 5 o'clock every day," he said.

Still, if you're early to rise, better via an alarm clock than a false start if you're an offensive lineman.

But the biggest challenge is yet to come - banging on big-bodied defensive linemen for a month of training camp in full pads. (The Broncos are sans protective gear this week.) That's where Clady's technique and playing strength will come more into play.

Not that the Broncos' ends didn't try to get an early gauge in those areas this week against the 6-foot-6, 317-pound newcomer.

"I was trying to see how strong he was when I went up against him," second-year defensive lineman Jarvis Moss said. "We locked up and I just tried to fling him up off me because he's a much bigger guy than me. But he's got the strength. He's got everything he needs, as far as I'm concerned. . . .

"He just needs to get more comfortable in our system."

The same could be said for all the rookies who gathered this week for their first on-field activities with the Broncos.

The biggest challenge comes in trying to apply the playbook without thinking too much. That process will drag on into June and July camps.

"There's a lot of stuff getting thrown in. But the coaches are keeping us sane," said Ryan Torain, a fifth-round running back out of Arizona State. "We just have to learn day by day and have a good time with it."

One way second-round pick Eddie Royal is dealing with the information overload is by using a crib sheet attached to his wrist.

"I had to," the receiver from Virginia Tech said with a chuckle. "I'm trying to break everything down in the meetings, and anything I feel I'm going to forget on the field, I just jot it down."

Clady admitted the transition has been "a little tougher" than he expected, but he's been getting help from teammates to augment the coaches' teaching.

He added he feels other players' eyes on him - and not just his feet - as they try to see just what Denver is getting at such a pivotal position.

Clady entered the draft as an early entry junior after 26 straight starts at left tackle in college.

"There's a lot of pressure on him, mentally," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said of Clady. "There's going to be a lot of pressure on him physically. But we feel like he's got the ability to compete. We're going to start him as No. 1, but he's got to earn the position, just like everyone else."

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 08:11 AM
It's nice to hear good things about Clady so soon. Great feet and long arms are 2 major weapons for an OT in the NFL. He seems to have both. Add that to a 320 pound frame, and you have a beast that can block in the zbs. I can't wait for the hitting to start in training camp.

MOtorboat
05-23-2008, 08:14 AM
I think the real question is, who the hell is P.J. Alexander?

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 08:16 AM
I think the real question is, who the hell is P.J. Alexander?

A journeyman OT that has bounced around between the Broncos, Falcons, and Saints. He's one of those guys that will probably never be talented enough to start, but always talented enough to earn an NFL paycheck as a backup.

MOtorboat
05-23-2008, 08:27 AM
A journeyman OT that has bounced around between the Broncos, Falcons, and Saints. He's one of those guys that will probably never be talented enough to start, but always talented enough to earn an NFL paycheck as a backup.

I know...:coffee:

I was joking. I guess I need to get a few more cups of coffee in me.

NightTrainLayne
05-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Having trouble with humor this morning MB?

It seems I was the only one who understood you there. I'm sure it's because I'm part of the circle of trust.

MOtorboat
05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Having trouble with humor this morning MB?

It seems I was the only one who understood you there. I'm sure it's because I'm part of the circle of trust.

GP.

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM

Either that...or I'M the one who needs more coffee! :coffee:

Bad Intentions
05-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Music to my ears!!! They can call him Pinky for all I care. If he can protect our franchise and give him 1 more second to survey and toss... We'll not only see more points on the board, we'll see Jay's rise to the top in quick fasion!

Traveler
05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
It's nice to hear good things about Clady so soon. Great feet and long arms are 2 major weapons for an OT in the NFL. He seems to have both. Add that to a 320 pound frame, and you have a beast that can block in the zbs. I can't wait for the hitting to start in training camp.

Zig,

Not to rain on your (or anyone else's) parade, but it's too soon to get excited this early IMO.

While I agree that it's nice to hear he's impressing, this should be considered just another offseason fluff piece. Everyone is impressive without the pads.

Clady is a great selection for us. But all the mention of "sweet feet" or "quick feet" sounds eerily(sp?) similar to the things they said about Foster.

I'll get more excited when we see what he does when they go to live action.

tripleoption
05-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Not to rain on your (or anyone else's) parade, but it's too soon to get excited this early IMO.

While I agree that it's nice to hear he's impressing, this should be considered just another offseason fluff piece. Everyone is impressive without the pads.

Clady is a great selection for us. But all the mention of "sweet feet" or "quick feet" sounds eerily(sp?) similar to the things they said about Foster.

I agree in that it's too soon to get excited, but it is good to hear he's already opening eyes and impressing people. I'm one of those who liked the pick and think it was a good one. It was one that was necessary. We'll just have to sit and wait now. One thing I think we all need to remember as fans is that especially as a rookie he's probably going to get beat a few times. He'll have bad games, and he'll likely get schooled by some veterans out there. If he has a bad game or two it doesn't mean he's a bust or anything. A couple of years down the line if it's still happening, then yeah, but I don't think that'll happen. IMO he'll be a solid member of our oline for years.

lex
05-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Today, "Sweet Feet" but tomorrow, "Jitterbug". Go Ryan!

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Zig,

I hear what you're saying. However, I wouldn't get excited if they said, he's big and he looks good. They are specifically pointing out his strength and footwork this week. That's huge.

If they say Niko looks good and he is covering his area, I wouldn't be excited. Now on the other hand, if they say Niko seems to have a knack for picking the right angle to the ball carrier and not missing tackles, I'd be excited.

I'm not getting excited about Clady receiving praise, I'm excited about the kind of praise he is getting. Footwork may be the most important asset to a left tackle. Long arms are a huge plus, and strength is as well. Clady has at least 2 of the 3, and according to Moss, he has the strength also.

It's too early to tell what kind of player he will be, but what CAN you look at in a QB camp for a LT? Footwork. Clady is impressing with his. It's a great sign, and I'm excited.

Lonestar
05-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Zig,

I have brought this up many times I it almost like they have a canned stump speech by position..

I heard the same thing said in press conference by mikey when the DAFTED foster.. "I've never seen a guy that big with footwork like he has!!..

He just forgot to mention he had no heart..

Lets just hope this guy has a brain..

nevcraw
05-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Not that means that much but I do not think Foster was considered the premier left tackle prospect in the draft by the pundits.
Most this year considered Thomas as the best tackle but best suited for the right side while Clady was considered the best LT in the draft..
Foster was a reach, Clady was a steal based on potential. He will probably take a year or 2 to get there, but I think some pateince will be needed in the mean time..

TXBRONC
05-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Not that means that much but I do not think Foster was considered the premier left tackle prospect in the draft by the pundits.
Most this year considered Thomas as the best tackle but best suited for the right side while Clady was considered the best LT in the draft..
Foster was a reach, Clady was a steal based on potential. He will probably take a year or 2 to get there, but I think some pateince will be needed in the mean time..

Foster was considered the second best tackle in his draft class behind Kwame Harris.

elsid13
05-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Foster was considered the second best tackle in his draft class behind Kwame Harris.

That not saying much.

TXBRONC
05-24-2008, 09:18 AM
That not saying much.

In hindsight yes, but at that time Kwame Harris was seen as someone who could start day one.