PDA

View Full Version : PCs vs. Consoles

Thnikkaman
05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
In this thread, lets discuss PC Gaming vs Console gaming. I'm going to do my best to see both sides and make this a constructive argument; I.E. not the type of argument OR would ever attempt.

This all starts out between me and Shazam when ever I claim that Halo Sucks. I stand by this, and I coincide that I am very biased. I have played limited multi player in this series which is what I believe was the only thing it brought to the genre on the console. I'm not a fan of the regenerating health bar, nor was I initially enamored with the 2 gun only concept; its something that I have come around on since that adds at least some realism to shooters.

The biggest problem that either party usually has an issue recognizing is that comparing PCs to Consoles is not exactly an Apples to Apples comparison. Its more of a Red Delicious vs Fuji Apple comparison. One is great for making pies while the other is a great snacking apple.

First, I want to focus on this quote from Shazam.

PC gaming has advantages I admit, but to me especially with RTSs and some SIMS. The graphics line is so close now too. There's a massive amount of games you just cant play on a PC, and having friends over playing sports games on a PC, in no way can come close to a HDTV and a sofa.

I understand what you are saying about having friends over playing sports games. Sports and fighting games are great on a console when you have your opponent right there to dish out and take all smack. Hell, I was a Tekken God back in the day. But the HDTV and a sofa argument is weak. It would cost you the price of a new wireless controller to throw a gaming PC on a HDTV. And as far as the graphics line being close? That may have been true when the 360 and PS3 were new, but a $100 video card today can run circles around the graphics processing in those machines today.

All that being said, its all about experience. I've seen L4D2 played on a 1080p tv and on a 22" monitor with the same resolution with all of the bells and whistles turned on (full frame buffer, full anti-aliasing, full shading capabilities, etc), and the difference is night and day quality wise.

For the comfort argument I am often sitting comfortably in my recliner playing TF2, L4D2, Torchlight, etc. In short, I can easily replicate the comfort of sitting on my sofa with an HDTV.

You can argue cost. But for the same price as a PS3 or XBox360, I can build a PC with twice the processing power and hard disk storage.

As far as the more game argument goes, I'll tip my hat to the console. But there isn't much disparity in the quality game argument. There are some excellent platform and adventure games on consoles that the PC doesn't have. But as you said Shazam, there are genres that exist on the PC that the console can't do as well. RTSs, MMOs, point and click adventure (either the Sam and Max type, or the Diablo type), Sims, and as ridiculous as it sounds, casual games (Bejeweled, Zuma, Wordworm, etc...). I would argue that the ratio of Crappy games on a console vs. crappy games on the PC is around 4:1.

I'm really starting to lose steam here due to my issues with keeping focus; so I want to finish with this. There is no superior platform. If there was, one of the two wouldn't exist. I want this thread to be more educational than argumentative. And maybe I can convince a couple hardcore Console people to give some PC gaming a try. Go download the Steam client at http://www.steampowered.com, and download Portal for free. It will give you the chance of getting used to playing a FPS like game with a keyboard and mouse. If you have a pc with a graphics card that can handle graphics acceleration, it should cost you nothing.

Shazam!
05-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I cant imagine playing any shooter on a PC for a variety of reasons.

A- It's too, too easy to just point your mouse. I think it's gay.

B- I wont feel the 'flow' of aiming. Console shooters simulate weight is the only thing I can think of as to why.

C- Cover shooting games like Gears or Rainbow Six Vegas just wont feel natural, to me anyway.

Sure you can use a controller... then why not just use a console?

Sure PC graphics may be better, but PS3 and 360 are no visual slouches either. That line is so close now, the differences are negligible with HDTVs. This is not the 90's with cartridge-based games anymore.

Some genres are better suited for consoles, while RTSs and Sims are for PC.

You need a controller for precision stick movement in games where they are require like sports/fighting games, like Fight Night, Street Fighter, Madden, UFC etc (another area where consoles are better). Not to mention many of these arent available on PC.

Cost. A typical gaming PC costs far more than your base 360 or PS3. Then there's all kinds of other tech issues. On a console, just load in your game and go. There can be difficulties to some as not everyone is tech savvy like Nikka.

For every PC exclusive there are three or four times the exclusives for consoles, Metal Gear, God of War, Halo, etc. Also, some, not all, of the PC versions may look better but they have certain issues, whether it's lacking content, bonus missions or whatever.

Die hard PC gamers have said 'Halo sucks' from the start, because a lot of what it offered was available on PC FPSs, but it revolutionized console shooters and made them mainstream (although the first FPS I played was Silent Debuggers in 1989). There have been bits of 'Halo-esque' in nearly every single FPS released over nearly the last decade.

I prefer consoles. I think it's a matter of preference.

MasterShake
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Just depends on what you're in to, I suppose. I love RTS games, and as you both mentioned they are superior on PC because of the controls. I tried to play Madden on a PC once and ended up just hooking my Xbox controller up. I think it really comes down to what you are comfortable with from game to game. Flight Sim? PC (especially with a nice flight stick) RTS? PC. Sports Game? Console. RPG? Either or. Fighting Game? Console, but only with a kick ass custom joystick with a 6 button layout.

PC is good for FPS where you just want to interact online, put on a headset and blast away. Same can be said with console FPS though the controls aren't as precise, depending on the platform you all have the same handicap anyway.

The graphics argument is invalid. Sure Crysis can't run as sharp on an Xbox 360, but some of the games that hold up today have crappy graphics (I still play Mario 3 more than any game as a testament to that.)

Bottom line, its all about how you play and who you play with. PC seems more tailored to a personal experience that is extended by online play (FPS Deathmatches or MMORPGs) and consoles are good for having a buddy next to you on a couch or hooking up over Xbox Live or PSN. I'll play Command and Conquer on a PC, but give me Street Fighter IV on a 42" LCD anyday with a console hooked up. I know you can hook up your PC to a TV, but its not the same to me. To each his own, depending on what game you are playing!

Thnikkaman
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Cost. A typical gaming PC costs far more than your base 360 or PS3. Then there's all kinds of other tech issues. On a console, just load in your game and go. There can be difficulties to some as not everyone is tech savvy like Nikka.

I will argue this one tooth and nail. You want a xbox 360 elite, no monitor, that will cost you $300. I can find a system that will game just as well as an xbox 360 for that ammount. Hell, I'll load mame on it for you so you can play 100 different arcade games. Add the cost of your HDTV, and I'll find a good gaming system with a 22" monitor to go with it.

The cost point is moot.

Shazam!
05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
I will argue this one tooth and nail. You want a xbox 360 elite, no monitor, that will cost you $300. I can find a system that will game just as well as an xbox 360 for that ammount. Hell, I'll load mame on it for you so you can play 100 different arcade games. Add the cost of your HDTV, and I'll find a good gaming system with a 22" monitor to go with it.

The cost point is moot.

You can get a base 360 (as I said) w/HDMI for under $200 new or $100 or less used on Ebay or Craigslist.

You say no monitor, but everyone has a TV already to hook it up to. As for the HDTV equation, you can get a small middle-of-the-road one for under $300 at big retailers if you dont have one already.

A high end gaming PC can cost almost a thousand dollars, and there's other tech issues that some will have difficulty with who arent totally tech savvy, as I said before. Then there's maintenance, upgrades, etc. The 360 has been around 5 years now, and both the 360 and PS3 arent going anywhere soon.

Zweems56
05-26-2010, 12:24 AM
You can get a base 360 (as I said) w/HDMI for under $200 new or $100 or less used on Ebay or Craigslist.

You say no monitor, but everyone has a TV already to hook it up to. As for the HDTV equation, you can get a small middle-of-the-road one for under $300 at big retailers if you dont have one already.

A high end gaming PC can cost almost a thousand dollars, and there's other tech issues that some will have difficulty with who arent totally tech savvy, as I said before. Then there's maintenance, upgrades, etc. The 360 has been around 5 years now, and both the 360 and PS3 arent going anywhere soon.

IMO, the TV issue is a moot point. I think the fact that you already have a TV hanging around offsets the fact that everyone has/needs a computer. Your gaming computer also seconds as a computer the same way that your HDTV seconds as a console monitor. IMHO, it's a wash. Please note.... if you ARE savvy, you can build a good computer for 600 bucks that will match up with a 360 or ps3's capability to play games. Honestly, where you can draw the line on users is..... people who are generally less technically savvy prefer almost always prefer a console because you don't have to worry about system specs or upgrading parts. Those of us who are more technically savvy, and especially those of us who work on computers, prefer the versatility and power of a PC. More or less, pricing can vary from cheap as hell to expensive as hell for either console gamers or PC gamers. I can guarantee you that between my computer (which runs whatever the hell you want on whatever the hell setting you want) and whoever's 360 that they bought when it first came out and their 42" HDTV, I spent significantly less money. Yes you may use your HDTV for tv... but I also use my computer for downloading media, listening to music, and anything else you can imagine. The whole discussion boils down to preference and how involved you want to be in your system. If you want to just turn on your controller, your system, and go.... the console is for you. If you like putting the time in and reaping the rewards of a more powerful machine that is far ahead of the curve when it comes to graphics, screen resolution, etc. then the PC is for you. Also, preference of controller is moot as well. You can program a 360 controller for your computer, and you can get a keyboard and mouse conversion kit for your 360.

Shazam!
05-26-2010, 01:11 AM
I didnt bring up the TV Zweems.

Good post.

Zweems56
05-26-2010, 08:52 AM
I didnt bring up the TV Zweems.

Good post.

Not implying that you did, merely that it is a part of the argument between console and PC.

LordTrychon
05-26-2010, 08:53 AM
I am generally a console gamer... but I know that some things are better suited for a PC. I just spent a long sad time without a decent PC and got away from Computer gaming.

The one thing that also bears mentioning with the cost, etc... is that yes, you can build a system that is as good as a 360 now for fairly cheap... but how much would it have cost in 2005, when I got my 360? How much would you have upgraded it since then to keep up with technology?

If the life of the current consoles extend the way they're planning with the motion sensor upgrades... I'll be able to keep playing the same system for up to 10 years, with very limited additional cost beyond what I originally spent.

At the end of the life of the current consoles, PCs will have likely much surpassed their graphics and computing ability... but at much more upkeep cost to keep with the technology between 2005 and 2015.

There's an upside and downside to both systems in that regard.

Zweems56
05-26-2010, 09:03 AM
I am generally a console gamer... but I know that some things are better suited for a PC. I just spent a long sad time without a decent PC and got away from Computer gaming.

The one thing that also bears mentioning with the cost, etc... is that yes, you can build a system that is as good as a 360 now for fairly cheap... but how much would it have cost in 2005, when I got my 360? How much would you have upgraded it since then to keep up with technology?

If the life of the current consoles extend the way they're planning with the motion sensor upgrades... I'll be able to keep playing the same system for up to 10 years, with very limited additional cost beyond what I originally spent.

At the end of the life of the current consoles, PCs will have likely much surpassed their graphics and computing ability... but at much more upkeep cost to keep with the technology between 2005 and 2015.

There's an upside and downside to both systems in that regard.

I guess that the question that I would have is..... how much do you spend on Xbox Live per year compared to how much it costs to do parts upgrades. If you pay once a year, Xbox live costs 50 bucks. If you pay monthly, it'll cost you closer to 100. I'll tell you right now that if I build a computer, I'll spend 150 in parts every 2-3 years. Since I bought my computer for 600 bucks, I've only bought a new video card... which cost me 150 bucks. No other parts will need to be upgraded until I build a new computer another 4 years from now.

Thnikkaman
05-26-2010, 09:24 AM

This is really debatable. Seriously. I'm not talking about a high end gaming pc. I'm talking about one with the same capabilities as a 360 or a PS3.

I am not arguing that you shouldn't buy a console. Jeeze, I would like to own a ps3 or a 360. In 2005 when the 360 came out, you could build a computer with the same capabilities as a 360 for $300. Yes you would have to be tech savvy. No, I don't expect a layman to figure it out.

As far as maintainance and upgrades go. You have maintenence that you perform on your xbox. Are you not downloading software updates for your system? Was there not a bunch of discussions for system coolers in this forum a few years back? Hard drives, controllers, headsets. Those are all upgrades for your Xbox. Not to mention new motion controllers, the Natal, etc... If you are building a computer with the same capabilities as an Xbox, you aren't upgrading it, otherwise you have a computer with greater capabilites than an Xbox. You are still limited to the hard drive space, operating system, processing power, etc...

On the other end of the spectrum, a high end gaming PC can cost up to and beyond 10 grand. And for that, you are getting the experience. I know guys that run 3 video cards with a 9 monitor array for the experience. And that my friends is ******* insane. Cool as hell, but insane.

Zweems, I am very interested in hearing about this keyboard and mouse mod for an Xbox or ps3. Got any links?

Zweems56
05-26-2010, 09:32 AM
This is really debatable. Seriously. I'm not talking about a high end gaming pc. I'm talking about one with the same capabilities as a 360 or a PS3.

I am not arguing that you shouldn't buy a console. Jeeze, I would like to own a ps3 or a 360. In 2005 when the 360 came out, you could build a computer with the same capabilities as a 360 for $300. Yes you would have to be tech savvy. No, I don't expect a layman to figure it out.

As far as maintainance and upgrades go. You have maintenence that you perform on your xbox. Are you not downloading software updates for your system? Was there not a bunch of discussions for system coolers in this forum a few years back? Hard drives, controllers, headsets. Those are all upgrades for your Xbox. Not to mention new motion controllers, the Natal, etc... If you are building a computer with the same capabilities as an Xbox, you aren't upgrading it, otherwise you have a computer with greater capabilites than an Xbox. You are still limited to the hard drive space, operating system, processing power, etc...

On the other end of the spectrum, a high end gaming PC can cost up to and beyond 10 grand. And for that, you are getting the experience. I know guys that run 3 video cards with a 9 monitor array for the experience. And that my friends is ******* insane. Cool as hell, but insane.

Zweems, I am very interested in hearing about this keyboard and mouse mod for an Xbox or ps3. Got any links?

http://gizmodo.com/223963/xcm-xfps-xbox-360-keyboardmouse-adapter-in-action
http://gizmodo.com/223087/xcm-xfps-xbox-360-keyboardmouse-adapter-available-now

Shazam!
05-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I dont count buying a $20 fan cooler that snaps right on as an upgrade.

Natal and Move are optional purcases for owners of the systems.

And about the downloads and system updates, many are done in the background and you dont need to be tech savvy.

Most people I know when they have a computer issue they come to me, but compared to you Nikka, Im a clueless fool who doesnt know shit and thats the truth.

Longtime PC gamers prefer PCs too. Gamers made on consoles prefer consoles.

Thnikkaman
05-26-2010, 10:11 AM

And about the downloads and system updates, many are done in the background and you dont need to be tech savvy.

Most people I know when they have a computer issue they come to me, but compared to you Nikka, Im a clueless fool who doesnt know shit and thats the truth.

You don't need to be tech savvy for windows update either. On my windows 7 pc, I run the free Microsoft antivirus and haven't had to do anything to it since I installed it.

Now since the operating system isn't hard coded onto a chip like the XBox 360, you do have the danger of a user being an idiot and deleting system files and such. But you don't have to be tech savvy to know you shouldn't do that. An Xbox is capable of the same hardware failures that a PC does, and you are still going to call the hardware support for Microsoft (360) or your PC manufacturer to get it fixed.

And the $20 cooling fan is technically an upgrade. You can upgrade the cooling in your PC to allow you to get more speed out of your components. In the case of the 360, you are purchasing a device that lengthens the life of the machine. On the PC side, if I upgrade my memory from 2 Gigs to 4 (which is 2x to 4x the amount on your 360), I am creating a machine that has greater capabilities than the 360, which is outside of my argument.

I'm only trying to say that cost is a moot argument at this time in the pc vs. console discussion. Not that one is better than the other.

Zweems56
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure that I agree with that completely. I spent much of my life (from the ages of 6-17) playing STRICTLY console games. From 17 until 19, I was playing a little bit of both, and from 20 until now (23) I made the shift to almost exclusively PC. I think that it is borne more of the type of person, their expertise with computers, or a combination of both that determines which type of gamer they are.

Zweems56
05-26-2010, 01:12 PM
You don't need to be tech savvy for windows update either. On my windows 7 pc, I run the free Microsoft antivirus and haven't had to do anything to it since I installed it.

Now since the operating system isn't hard coded onto a chip like the XBox 360, you do have the danger of a user being an idiot and deleting system files and such. But you don't have to be tech savvy to know you shouldn't do that. An Xbox is capable of the same hardware failures that a PC does, and you are still going to call the hardware support for Microsoft (360) or your PC manufacturer to get it fixed.

And the $20 cooling fan is technically an upgrade. You can upgrade the cooling in your PC to allow you to get more speed out of your components. In the case of the 360, you are purchasing a device that lengthens the life of the machine. On the PC side, if I upgrade my memory from 2 Gigs to 4 (which is 2x to 4x the amount on your 360), I am creating a machine that has greater capabilities than the 360, which is outside of my argument.

I'm only trying to say that cost is a moot argument at this time in the pc vs. console discussion. Not that one is better than the other.

People stare at me like I'm a freak when I say that I have 8 gigs.

weazel
05-26-2010, 01:48 PM
if you thin that the PS3 and 360's have similar graphics, you better go to the doctor and have your eyes checked... not even close.

That being said, I have pretty much stopped playing games on the PC. I like it better, but its easier to just flip on the PS3 and start playing. It's also a lot more expensive to play on a PC, as they have to be updated too often.

Either way, it's all good!

LordTrychon
05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I guess that the question that I would have is..... how much do you spend on Xbox Live per year compared to how much it costs to do parts upgrades. If you pay once a year, Xbox live costs 50 bucks. If you pay monthly, it'll cost you closer to 100. I'll tell you right now that if I build a computer, I'll spend 150 in parts every 2-3 years. Since I bought my computer for 600 bucks, I've only bought a new video card... which cost me 150 bucks. No other parts will need to be upgraded until I build a new computer another 4 years from now.

Ok... so $750 for every four years?

Vs. $300 and an optional $50/year... for 10 years?

It's more than just the cost that I was getting at... whatever games come out for the Xbox 360 in 2015 will be playable on the same Xbox 360 that was available in 2005. Even if you were capable of building a machine with stronger capabilities than the 360 in 2005... it won't necessarily be able to play the new games that are coming out for PCs in 2015.

LordTrychon
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
if you thin that the PS3 and 360's have similar graphics, you better go to the doctor and have your eyes checked... not even close.

That being said, I have pretty much stopped playing games on the PC. I like it better, but its easier to just flip on the PS3 and start playing. It's also a lot more expensive to play on a PC, as they have to be updated too often.

Either way, it's all good!

:confused:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6242816/index.html

We're now getting onto our fifth installment of this feature, and with every passing year the differences between the consoles continue to melt away. When we first started this feature, the differences between some versions of games were astounding. Fight Night Round 3 looked drastically better on the Xbox 360 with its improved lighting and shadowing effects. The following year, the graphics on both platforms got considerably more even--Oblivion even looked better on the PlayStation 3. Every subsequent comparison pretty much ended the same, with the Xbox 360 getting the benefit of slightly higher-resolution textures and other marginal improvements that wouldn't be noticed unless the images were put side by side. We'll see if the trend holds true with some of the best games from this year.

Shazam!
05-26-2010, 09:27 PM

I own them both, play on the same 1080p HDTV and my eyesight is great.