PDA

View Full Version : Full-tilt QB fight common theme

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15154945

The rock band America rode "through the desert on a horse with no name." Colorado is riding through May minicamps on Broncos officials with no names.

Whoa.

ESPN's Adam Schefter (formerly with The Post) told me Monday he received an unsolicited tweet from an "unnamed Broncos official" stating: "Kyle Orton has NEVER been available or discussed. Ever! Period."

The unnamed team official — who obviously believes in capital letters, exclamation marks and redundant periods — was countering a report by Mike Klis (currently with The Post) on Sunday that Orton previously had been mentioned in trade discussions this offseason, but no longer.

In early May, a rumor circulated in Jacksonville that the Jaguars asked if the Broncos would trade Brady Quinn. Fox31's Josina Anderson put on her Twitter account information from an unnamed Broncos official that the organization had "no interest in letting go of Quinn."

I'm writing on my Facebook page that a Broncos official (unnamed, of course) told me Tim Tebow will NEVER EVER be traded exclamation mark! Period.

So, where does that leave Tom Brandstater?

With apologies to Grantland Rice, who penned history's most famous sports lead:

"Outlined against a blue-white May sky — punctuated by Old Testament-type winds!!! — the Broncos' Four Horsemen practiced again. In dramatic lore they are known as K.O., The Mighty Quinn, Touchdown Tommy and Tim Tremendous, but their real names are Orton, Quinn, Brandstater and Tebow. And not one will be traded or released."

The Broncos official with a name — head coach Josh McDaniels — said at the close of business Monday: "There's not been one quarterback on our roster that's been discussed or would be discussed at this point in any trade talks or anything else, for that matter. We're going to let them compete, and the best guy's going to play."

NFL teams generally keep three quarterbacks, although the Broncos used four in 1963, 1968 and 1983 and five in 1987 (a strike season).

The 1977 offseason was most confusing. The Broncos brought in veterans Craig Morton and Steve Spurrier (a Heisman Trophy winner) to compete with Norris Weese and Craig Penrose (drafted No. 4 in 1976).

Each started an exhibition game. After Spurrier played, he and I played backgammon on the team's return flight to Denver. "Don't you think I have a great chance to be the starter?" he asked.

"Steve, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not making the team. Morton will start, Weese will be the backup and Penrose will be the quarterback they develop."

The next day Spurrier was cut.

One member of the 2010 Broncoshop Quartet will not be on this team come Sept. 12 in Jacksonville.

Rest assured, Tebow, unlike the Broncos' other Heisman winner from the University of Florida, will make the team. He may start, or he may not play at all this season, but he'll be on the team. Quinn could have been starting for the Jaguars if the Broncos had made a deal. He could be starting instead for the Broncos.

Orton will be the Broncos' starter in the season opener, or he will be gone. He will not be a reserve in Denver in his final contract year.

How about Brandstater?

"I'm just keeping my head down, concentrating on what I have to do as a quarterback, competing as hard as I can and continuing to learn as much as I can. I got confidence last year that I can play in the NFL," Brandstater said Monday.

Last year T.B. was T.B. for a week. Tom Brandstater became Tom Brady.

After the 6-foot-5, 223-pound Brandstater was drafted in the sixth round out of Fresno State last year, he started the exhibition finale at Phoenix and led the Broncos to four scores and a 19-0 victory, and finished 16-of-30 for 187 yards. Then he disappeared to the scout team.

"The most fun I had was the week of the New England game. I had to try to imitate Tom Brady. I'm certainly not Brady, but our system is like the Patriots', so I got a lot of reps in that really helped me," he said.

Brandstater was as shocked as everyone else when the Broncos traded for Quinn, then drafted Tebow. "But on every level I've ever played from high school to here, I've had to prove myself. This competition is pushing all of us."

McDaniels "snapped" at Brandstater a couple of times in Monday's workout — Brandstater threw a "pick six" — but the coach is a serious supporter of the quarterback with the strongest arm of the foursome. "He knows the system a lot better than last year. ...We can get him to ascend to a level where he can compete."

Although a writer for a national publication claims McDaniels said Orton will be the starter next season, that is untrue.

"Right now Orton is the best (quarterback). Does that mean that's a guarantee for the season? No, and he knows that," McDaniels said.

But a Broncos official with no name, who should be riding in the desert, must not know that.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Lonestar
05-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Normally woody is nothing but a WOODY he almsot amkes sense in this article
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SOCALORADO.
05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Normally woody is nothing but a WOODY he almsot amkes sense in this article
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Yeah. He must be crazy when he writes these, but he eventually gets around to explaining that nobody knows anything, and anything can and more than likely will happen in regards to the QB spot this year in DEN.

It would not suprise me in the least if Orton is traded. It just wouldnt suprise me. This new regime is very much like NE in dealing with the media.
Let the media contrive every possible last known scenario, and then watch them rant and speculate, all the while the DEN FO never says anything of substance whatsoever, and then BAM! Ortons traded.
If he should or shouldnt be traded is not relevent. Its just the way they go about doing buisness in Dove Valley now, that if he was traded, i would not be suprised.

claymore
05-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah. He must be crazy when he writes these, but he eventually gets around to explaining that nobody knows anything, and anything can and more than likely will happen in regards to the QB spot this year in DEN.

It would not suprise me in the least if Orton is traded. It just wouldnt suprise me. This new regime is very much like NE in dealing with the media.
Let the media contrive every possible last known scenario, and then watch them rant and speculate, all the while the DEN FO never says anything of substance whatsoever, and then BAM! Ortons traded.

The only reason Orton doesnt get traded is because he is more valuable to us then the 5th rounder we would get in exchange for him.

SOCALORADO.
05-25-2010, 10:06 AM
The only reason Orton doesnt get traded is because he is more valuable to us then the 5th rounder we would get in exchange for him.

Or the only reason he DOES get traded is because the 6th rounder or better DEN gave up for Qwinn is recovered in a trade for orton, and DEN has Qwinn who can do anything and more than orton.
I am not saying really that orton should be traded. Its just the way the FO is going about dealing with the media is very much like NE. No one knows anything, forcing the media into wild speculation ( like the above scenario) and then when they do make a trade, its big news.
You would think the media would catch on to this, but no, they are hunting for unamed "sources", "trainers" etc,etc. anything they can get their hands on.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 10:14 AM

If he should or shouldnt be traded is not relevent. Its just the way they go about doing buisness in Dove Valley now, that if he was traded, i would not be suprised.

I still say the odd man is Brandstater. Even if Orton isn't the starter he's a cheap one year insurance policy with 15 starts and 16 games worth of experience as our quarterback. More than anything I just Denver keep four quarterbacks on the team even if one of them presumable Brandstater were to go to the practice squad.

SOCALORADO.
05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I still say the odd man is Brandstater. Even if Orton isn't the starter he's a cheap one year insurance policy with 15 starts and 16 games worth of experience as our quarterback. More than anything I just Denver keep four quarterbacks on the team even if one of them presumable Brandstater were to go to the practice squad.

More than anything else, i am saying that we would never know if Orton or any other QB was traded until it happened.

But Orton is gonna be traded. My "unamed" "trainer" "source" inside the Dove Valley facility told me this. Just sayin...

On a serious note, can a team like NE sign a player off of a teams PS?

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Or the only reason he DOES get traded is because the 6th rounder or better DEN gave up for Qwinn is recovered in a trade for orton, and DEN has Qwinn who can do anything and more than orton.
I am not saying really that orton should be traded. Its just the way the FO is going about dealing with the media is very much like NE. No one knows anything, forcing the media into wild speculation ( like the above scenario) and then when they do make a trade, its big news.
You would think the media would catch on to this, but no, they are hunting for unamed "sources", "trainers" etc,etc. anything they can get their hands on.

If Quinn doesn't start we only lose a 6th rounder, but he plays something like 60% of the snaps for the year then I think we lose next year's 5th rounder.

BigBroncLove
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM

It is a tight lipped organization much in the model of NE. Unfortunately I think sometimes you get wild idiotic speculation as a result since reporters have to write and the Broncos aren't dishing out the news. I don't think this scenario qualifies, I do believe there is some substance to it. How much is anyones guess, but I don't think you can take it to the bank that Orton is on the trading block or vice versa.

While were talking pure speculation I'll throw this in there. Woody put up a story that Ortons should be traded with another guy I don't like from the post. Reporters, especially very opinionated ones like Woody, have agendas as well. Being hes a proponent of trading Orton, I would fully expect him to write a story like this. That said, I don't think anyone with an objective outlook takes statements from the Broncos FO to the bank these days. Theres to long of a track record of McD's FO talking out of both sides of its mouth on issues like this. From Cutler to Hillis and back again, if you run business the way they have so far then you should expect storms of newspaper colored $*^# to rain down on you, real or not.

I think woody nailed it, but I think it's an easy target when your basic outline of a story is, I don't know.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 10:25 AM
More than anything else, i am saying that we would never know if Orton or any other QB was traded until it happened.

But Orton is gonna be traded. My "unamed" "trainer" "source" inside the Dove Valley facility told me this. Just sayin...

If you're unnamed source is the jock washer I heard he was the Raiders jock washer before coming to Denver so I wouldn't put much stock in his reliability. :D

SOCALORADO.
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM
If you're unnamed source is the jock washer I heard he was the Raiders jock washer before coming to Denver so I wouldn't put much stock in his reliability. :D

No he came over as part of the Jamal Williams deal. He's Jamal's personal jock washer. Hes a sharp kid, gotta lot goin for him. :shocked:

SOCALORADO.
05-25-2010, 10:35 AM
It is a tight lipped organization much in the model of NE. Unfortunately I think sometimes you get wild idiotic speculation as a result since reporters have to write and the Broncos aren't dishing out the news. I don't think this scenario qualifies, I do believe there is some substance to it. How much is anyones guess, but I don't think you can take it to the bank that Orton is on the trading block or vice versa.

While were talking pure speculation I'll throw this in there. Woody put up a story that Ortons should be traded with another guy I don't like from the post. Reporters, especially very opinionated ones like Woody, have agendas as well. Being hes a proponent of trading Orton, I would fully expect him to write a story like this. That said, I don't think anyone with an objective outlook takes statements from the Broncos FO to the bank these days. Theres to long of a track record of McD's FO talking out of both sides of its mouth on issues like this. From Cutler to Hillis and back again, if you run business the way they have so far then you should expect storms of newspaper colored $*^# to rain down on you, real or not.

I think woody nailed it, but I think it's an easy target when your basic outline of a story is, I don't know.

Who was the other player in Woody's trade scenario??

Denver Native (Carol)
Of course, I don't read every article on every football team, but for the ones I have read, I do not ever remember any football organization, this early in the season, openly stating that they are looking for a trade for a particular player. When articles like that have been written, it was the writer's opinion - pure speculation.

BigBroncLove

YEs. a team lists their practice squad and enters into waivers. When the players on the practice squad they are on waivers. A player can be claimed off of the waiver wire by any team, but that player must be placed on the main roster to be claimed by another team.

BigBroncLove
05-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Who was the other player in Woody's trade scenario??

No kiszla wrote a trade orton story and filed it the same day Woody did. That was what I was referring to.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Of course, I don't read every article on every football team, but for the ones I have read, I do not ever remember any football organization, this early in the season, openly stating that they are looking for a trade for a particular player. When articles like that have been written, it was the writer's opinion - pure speculation.

True but they wont necessarily make it public knowledge either.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
No he came over as part of the Jamal Williams deal. He's Jamal's personal jock washer. Hes a sharp kid, gotta lot goin for him. :shocked:

I forgot about him. But now that you have jarred my memory he wasn't exactly apart of the deal. McDaniels had to give up whatever change he had in his pocket at the time and a brand new pack of Juicy Fruit gum. :D

T.K.O.
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
i think there is only a 72 hour time period that a player can be picked up between being on the reg roster and the P.S.(waiver's)
once they are officially on the practice squad they are again team property.
i would bet that if brandstater goes on the waiver wire he will be plucked by N.E.
he knows the system and has the arm and size beli likes.
that's why i doubt mcD will let him go.
i almost think orton would be more expendable in mcD's eyes...but its hard to say,he needs one vet who has the system down i would think,so.....who knows

SOCALORADO.
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM
I forgot about him. But now that you have jarred my memory he wasn't exactly apart of the deal. McDaniels had to give up whatever change he had in his pocket at the time and a brand new pack of Juicy Fruit gum. :D

Jamal and his agent drive a hard bargain.

Best damn private nut washer in the league though.

dogfish
05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
No kiszla wrote a trade orton story and filed it the same day Woody did. That was what I was referring to.

see, both woody and kiszla are in favor. . . there couldn't possibly be a bigger indication that it's pure stupidity-- not if god wrote it across the sky in gigantic burning letters. . . .

broncophan
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM

I don't think any coach would want to go into this season with Quinn,Tebow, and Brandstater as your 3 qb options....................that is why Orton doesn't get traded.......imo

BigBroncLove
05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
see, both woody and kiszla are in favor. . . there couldn't possibly be a bigger indication that it's pure stupidity-- not if god wrote it across the sky in gigantic burning letters. . . .

LOL, they are without doubt the harbingers of deep seeded idiocy. The two horsemen of moronic columns (though I think you can add a third with Klis, though to a slightly lesser degree.... very slight).

I see it as entirely self serving, the stories they both wrote about trading Orton. Paige loves Tebow, Kiszla loves Quinn. Both have been very vocal about the player they dream sweet nothings about. Getting Orton out of the equation is one step closer to how they both envision the team shaping out, and woodpecker especially has never been shy of using innuendo and stories to try and get the Broncos to run their team the way he sees it.

In Woodpeckers follow up mailbag he talked about the trade story and how he lost sleep about whether he should file it, and then slept like a baby after he did. As if the Bronco masses shift and turn by the words that flow from his column and some great burden had been lifted from his o so tired shoulders. Laughable, but most of what woody writes is exactly that IMO.

claymore
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't think any coach would want to go into this season with Quinn,Tebow, and Brandstater as your 3 qb options....................that is why Orton doesn't get traded.......imo

No coach would want to go into a season with Orton as the starter either. But he is the best QB we have.

broncophan
05-25-2010, 02:04 PM
No coach would want to go into a season with Orton as the starter either. But he is the best QB we have.

uhhhh.....yeaaah......that is why I said that is the reason we don't trade Orton...:confused:

McD wanted Orton as his starter going into last season.....so.....yes there are coaches who want Orton as a starter.

claymore
05-25-2010, 02:21 PM
uhhhh.....yeaaah......that is why I said that is the reason we don't trade Orton...:confused:

McD wanted Orton as his starter going into last season.....so.....yes there are coaches who want Orton as a starter.

If Chris simms is your back up then you want Orton as your starter. If Quinn, Tebow and Brandstatertussinfield is your backups, then you want Orton as your starter.

Very few teams would be willing to give us more than Orton was worth to us. Which coincidentally is more than Orton is worth to anyone else.

broncophan
05-25-2010, 02:34 PM
If Chris simms is your back up then you want Orton as your starter. If Quinn, Tebow and Brandstatertussinfield is your backups, then you want Orton as your starter.

Very few teams would be willing to give us more than Orton was worth to us. Which coincidentally is more than Orton is worth to anyone else.

You could look at about every backup qb in the nfl......and several starting qb's for other teams......and you would want Orton as your starter.

A team could offer us a third round draft pick......and we wouldn't trade him imo......at least not now......with our other options at qb.

claymore
05-25-2010, 02:48 PM
You could look at about every backup qb in the nfl......and several starting qb's for other teams......and you would want Orton as your starter.

A team could offer us a third round draft pick......and we wouldn't trade him imo......at least not now......with our other options at qb.

We agree Orton is the best QB on our roster. I just dont think that says very much.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
We agree Orton is the best QB on our roster. I just dont think that says very much.

I guess that depends on what you mean by being the best quarterback on the roster? That could mean anything from the most physically gifted (which I don't think there are many people who would claim that) to the most experienced. If we're talking about him being the most experienced/proven then I agree, but I would give edge in athleticism and ceiling point to Tebow.

claymore
05-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I guess that depends on what you mean by being the best quarterback on the roster? That could mean anything from the most physically gifted (which I don't think there are many people who would claim that) to the most experienced. If we're talking about him being the most experienced/proven then I agree, but I would give edge in athleticism and ceiling point to Tebow.

He gives us the best chance to reach 8-8 again. I think Tebow has the highest ceiling. I dont think much of Quinn or Brandstater.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
He gives us the best chance to reach 8-8 again. I think Tebow has the highest ceiling. I dont think much of Quinn or Brandstater.

I think it's possible for us to get above .500 with Orton and maybe even make the playoffs with him at quarterback as long as the defense holds up.

claymore
05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
I think it's possible for us to get above .500 with Orton and maybe even make the playoffs with him at quarterback as long as the defense holds up.

I think .500 is our ceiling this year. I think we need some major contribuions from some rookies to get there too. To many Question marks which include our coaching staff.

I will take every win as a positive this year.

slim
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I think .500 is our ceiling this year. I think we need some major contribuions from some rookies to get there too. To many Question marks which include our coaching staff.

I will take every win as a positive this year.

Our defense should be much better against the run (and better overall) and we have an easier schedule (at least it appears to be right now).

We lost Marshall, which is a big loss, but I think Orton will be better in his second year in this system.

Overall, I think .500 is our floor.

claymore
05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Our defense should be much better against the run (and better overall) and we have an easier schedule (at least it appears to be right now).

We lost Marshall, which is a big loss, but I think Orton will be better in his second year in this system.

Overall, I think .500 is our floor.

Why will be be better against the run? Jamal Williams?

slim
05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Why will be be better against the run? Jamal Williams?

Yes, Williams and Bannan. I also like Hagan in the middle (Davis really wore down at the end of last year).

Also, I don't see how we could be much worse against the run. The last half of the season reminded me of the Slowik days.

claymore
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Yes, Williams and Bannan. I also like Hagan in the middle (Davis really wore down at the end of last year).

Also, I don't see how we could be much worse against the run. The last half of the season reminded me of the Slowik days.

I think our running woes rely on Williams. Which means we our probably screwed.

Id rather be pessimistic and pleasantly suprised than optimistic and disappointed though.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Williams is 34 years old so I'm leery of what he has left in the tank. If he can just remain healthy that would plus.

slim
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I think our running woes rely on Williams. Which means we our probably screwed.

Id rather be pessimistic and pleasantly suprised than optimistic and disappointed though.

No faith in Williams?

Even if he only plays 1/3 of the time (to help keep him fresh), the :defense: will be soooo much better. Fields isn't a starter, but he is a decent rotational guy.

BigBroncLove
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I really do think people undervalue what Jamal Williams brings to the table for the Broncos. Especially given what the NT means to the 3-4 defense.

Sure he's got some miles on the odometer and durability could be an issue, but even say at 75% of what he was in SD I think the argument can be made that he is the best defensive tackle the broncos have seen in a decade, and at 100% is the best defensive lineman in the last decade. Yes, you could say thats easy to say with just how crappy the Broncos DT's have been, but its equal parts praise for Williams level of play.

I think most people will be surprised at just how much Bannan and Williams will add to the defense at all levels. Its one part of the team that I'm excited about and not watching and hoping over. Everyone has their opinion though, and I think the critiques of both Bannan and Williams have merit, I just think the die cast will roll the Broncos way on this one.

slim
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Williams is 34 years old so I'm leery of what he has left in the tank. If he can just remain healthy that would plus.

I am 39, so I don't know what you are talking about :coffee:

claymore
05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
No faith in Williams?

Even if he only plays 1/3 of the time (to help keep him fresh), the :defense: will be soooo much better. Fields isn't a starter, but he is a decent rotational guy.

And if he doesnt make it, then we are where we were last year. Not to mention if Dawkins goes out (which he will because he is as old as Topscribe) the complexity of our defense goes even further south.

slim
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
And if he doesnt make it, then we are where we were last year. Not to mention if Dawkins goes out (which he will because he is as old as Topscribe) the complexity of our defense goes even further south.

Yeah, but that is true about every team, at nearly every position. If your starters get hurt, you will be in trouble....or find a way to over come it.

Williams was hurt last year (torn biceps, IIRC), but it's not like he is a walking injury or is coming back from a knee injury, etc. I just don't see any reason to worry about his health.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I am 39, so I don't know what you are talking about :coffee:

I'm 43 so watch it bub.

slim
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm 43 so watch it bub.

Sorry, old timer.

No offense meant.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Sorry, old timer.