PDA

View Full Version : Bailey endorses Orton as Broncos QB, McDaniels not so sure

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15152086?source=rss

Wind can be seen.

It could be seen when it blew down a large tree near the south end of the Broncos' practice field Monday. It could be seen when any pass thrown by Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn would break a couple yards as it moved toward, but rarely to, an intended receiver.

It could be seen on a distant, desolate practice field when A.J. Trapasso and Britton Colquitt took turns booting 90-yard punts — no exaggeration — with the wind at their backs.

Gale force winds made it a good day to run the ball but this was a passing camp and the Broncos went forward with their adventure. Orton completed just 5 of 20, including 1 of 6 during an end-of-practice, 11-on-11, 2-minute drill. Quinn's throws had a little more mustard and he was able complete 6 of 14.

Both were victimized by several drops as Broncos receivers played like Boston catcher Jason Varitek trying to catch Tim Wakefield's knuckleball (for football fans who don't cross over, Varitek is so terrible at catching knucklers, he doesn't catch on days Wakefield pitches).

Tim Tebow completed 2 of 3 including a gorgeous, downwind out pattern to tight end Marquez Branson. Tom Brandstater was 1 of 2 with a pick six to Tony Carter.

Orton again worked with the first team but Quinn got just as many reps with the second unit during seven-on-seven drills.

"They're obviously like polished vets," said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. "They're on top of their stuff. It's going to be a good battle but I tell you what, Orton — until he shows anything different — he's my guy."

Bailey's endorsement of Orton, who threw for 21 touchdowns and more than 3,800 yards last year — was initially echoed, then downplayed, by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

"That's usually how it goes — the starter is the starter until somebody beats him out," McDaniels said. ""Everybody earns their own role. The best player will play. It doesn't matter if it's a defensive end, punter, quarterback, center — if he's the best player, he's playing. And right now (Orton's) the best player. He's in there first in the huddle. He knows the most."

But then McDaniels warned that Orton does not have the job won.

"Does that mean that's a guarantee for the season? No, and he knows that," McDaniels said.

broncobryce
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Orton is a gamer and it will not phase him. It will make him better, and the team better.

EMB6903
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
nothing to do with the thread but....

Tony Carter= Steal.

nevcraw
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
"until he shows anything different — he's my guy."

Kiss of death - see ya Orton.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...086?source=rss

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-24-2010, 06:35 PM
nothing to do with the thread but....

Tony Carter= Steal.

Absolutely, 100% agree.

honz
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Champ also said that he hates Tim Tebow.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Champ also said that he hates Tim Tebow.

Nice try honz - however, we are wise to you now :D

honz
05-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Nice try honz - however, we are wise to you now :D
No he really did...sort of. He said he hated him in college. I saw it tweeted earlier by one of the Bronco beat writers.

BroncoBJ
05-24-2010, 07:26 PM
No he really did...sort of. He said he hated him in college. I saw it tweeted earlier by one of the Bronco beat writers.

People tend to hate greatness. :elefant:

Dirk
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM

Maybe it's because the Gators mopped up Georgia the last 2 years. 41-17 in 2009 and 49-10 in 2008.

TXBRONC
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Wow isn't Champ's statement like the Godfather's kiss of death? :lol: