PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court denies NFL's request for broad antitrust protection

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8184a051&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Supreme Court rejected the NFL's request for broad antitrust law protection Monday, saying it must be considered 32 separate teams -- not one big business -- when selling branded items like jerseys and caps.

"Although NFL teams have common interests such as promoting the NFL brand, they are still separate, profit-maximizing entities, and their interests in licensing team trademarks are not necessarily aligned," said retiring Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for an unanimous court.

The high court reversed a lower court ruling throwing out an antitrust suit brought against the league by one of its former hat makers, who was upset that it lost its contract for making official NFL hats to Reebok International Ltd.

American Needle, Inc. sued, claiming the league violated antitrust law because all 32 teams worked together to freeze it out of the NFL-licensed hatmaking business and gave Reebok an exclusive 10-year license. The company lost and appealed to the Supreme Court, but the NFL did as well, hoping to receive broader protection from antitrust lawsuits.

"In today's decision, the Supreme Court recognized that 'special characteristics' of professional sports leagues, including the need for competitive balance, 'may well justify' business decisions that among independent competitors would otherwise be unlawful," the NFL said in a statement. "The court noted that the NFL teams' shared interest in making the league successful and cooperating to produce NFL football provide 'a perfectly sensible justification for making a host of collective decisions.' The decision will simply result in American Needle's claim being sent back to the federal district court in Chicago, where the case will resume in its early stages.

"We remain confident we will ultimately prevail because the league decision about how best to promote the NFL was reasonable, pro-competitive and entirely lawful. The Supreme Court's decision has no bearing on collective bargaining, which is governed by labor law."

Said NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith in a statement: "Today's Supreme Court ruling is not only a win for the players past, present and future, but a win for the fans. While the NFLPA and the players of the National Football League are pleased with the ruling, we remain focused on reaching a fair and equitable Collective Bargaining Agreement. We hope that today also marks a renewed effort by the NFL to bargain in good faith and avoid a lockout."

Major League Baseball is the only professional sports league with broad antitrust protection. The National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League, the NCAA, NASCAR, professional tennis and Major League Soccer supported the NFL in this case, hoping the high court would expand broad antitrust exemption to other sports.

But Stevens said NFL teams directly compete on many levels. Citing the two teams in this year's Super Bowl, the New Orleans Saints and the Indianapolis Colts, Stevens said that teams compete against each other "to attract fans, for gate receipts and for contracts with managerial and playing personnel."

"Directly relevant to this case, the teams compete in the market for intellectual property," Stevens said. "To a firm making hats, the Saints and the Colts are two potentially competing suppliers of valuable trademarks."

American Needle was one of many companies that made NFL headgear until the league awarded an exclusive contract to Reebok. Lower courts threw out American Needle's lawsuit, holding that nothing in antitrust law prohibits NFL teams from cooperating on apparel licensing so the league can compete against other forms of entertainment.

But the high court turned away that theory and sent American Needle's antitrust lawsuit back to the lower court.

"Decisions by NFL teams to license their separately owned trademarks collectively and to only one vendor are decisions that 'deprive the marketplace of independent centers of decisionmaking ... and therefore of actual or potential competition,'" Stevens said.

Just because NFL teams have a single organization, the National Football League Properties, to jointly develop, license and market its logos doesn't mean it can escape antitrust scrutiny, Stevens said.

"If the fact that potential competitors shared in profits or losses from a venture meant that the venture was immune from" antitrust law, Stevens said, "then any cartel" could evade the antitrust law simply by creating a 'joint venture' to serve as the exclusive seller of their competing products."

The argument that NFL teams also need each other to play an NFL season also doesn't work, Stevens said. "A nut and a bolt can only operate together, but an agreement between nut and bolt manufacturers is still subject to" antitrust scrutiny, Stevens said.

The league argued that a court decision against it "would convert every league of separately owned clubs into a walking antitrust conspiracy" and bring legal challenges to any decisions that the teams make collectively like scheduling.

But Stevens disagreed.

"The fact that NFL teams share an interest in making the entire league successful and profitable, and that they must cooperate in the production and scheduling of games, provides a perfectly sensible justification for making a host of collective decisions," he said.

The case is American Needle v. NFL, 08-661.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
If anyone truly understands what this says, what this does, if it is good or bad, please explain. I really do not understand what this is truly about, as far as a fan - thanks

MadMax
05-24-2010, 02:45 PM
How baseball, which allows teams to make their own tv contracts, keep all their own revenue etc. and gives their league commisioner very little power is considered "one entity" subject to anti-trust protections, but the NFL which shares revenue amongst teams, and negotiates it's own league wide tv contracts is not considered "one entity" is a double standard. I stopped watching it and yet baseball still manages to piss me off.

MadMax
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM
This is one of the sky is falling consequences i've heard people mention, that basicly the players union likes this ruling because they can now argue that a salary cap is price fixing amongst competing companies(the teams), which would mean the courts could order them not to have a salary cap.

NightTrainLayne
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
This is one of the sky is falling consequences i've heard people mention, that basicly the players union likes this ruling because they can now argue that a salary cap is price fixing amongst competing companies(the teams), which would mean the courts could order them not to have a salary cap.

But, if I read this right, that's not the final ruling. Instead this particular case is being sent back to Federal court where American Needle will have to prove its case.

It's a confusing decision, and the article doesn't help that much I don't think.

frauschieze
05-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Hopefully, SM19 will weigh in here.

From what I gather, it seems like the court only ruled that the NFL is not subject to broad anti-trust exemptions and that each case (salary cap, licensing agreements, etc.) would have to be evaluated separately. It appears that cooperation between teams to benefit all teams may be allowed, but only if it is not at the expense of the "market", i.e. not allowing price competition.

From my decidedly not legalistic mind, that means salary cap may be allowed as it benefits the entire league and doesn't preclude outside businesses from providing sales and services, but exclusive NFL contracts with vendors may not be.

Tempus Fugit
05-24-2010, 05:14 PM
How baseball, which allows teams to make their own tv contracts, keep all their own revenue etc. and gives their league commisioner very little power is considered "one entity" subject to anti-trust protections, but the NFL which shares revenue amongst teams, and negotiates it's own league wide tv contracts is not considered "one entity" is a double standard. I stopped watching it and yet baseball still manages to piss me off.

Baseball has a specific anti-trust exemption, and it's thanks to Congress and the Supreme court.

http://courses.cit.cornell.edu/econ352jpw/readme/Baseball%20Prospectus%20-%20Ending%20Baseball%27s%20Antitrust%20Exemption.h tm

http://www.slate.com/id/2068290

OrangeHoof
05-24-2010, 05:35 PM
SCOTUS only ruled on the narrow part of the case as to whether the NFL is 32 businesses or one business. This is a good ruling because it prevents exclusive licensing deals that drive up costs because of an absence of competition. If three companies are making licensed Bronco caps, it is likely the market price will be more competitive than if one company had a monopoly.

SCOTUS, however, did not settle whether American Needle was damaged by the NFL's contract with Reebok, although I have a hard time believing they can't successfully win their argument now that the Supremes have ruled that the NFL can't claim they are just one business making one contract for all 32 sub-contractors.

As for baseball, that's a spillover from a different era when licensing and marketing deals weren't nearly as complex as they are today.

BigBroncLove
05-24-2010, 06:12 PM
This is a purely material based anti-trust case, which shouldn't be confused with operating anti-trust but this ruling sends a very clear message to the league. You will not operate under legislatively or judicially derived anti-trust outside of the clayton act of 1914.

I don't understand why people are talking about the salary cap. It really would not and could not be effected under this ruling outside of legislation from Congress itself. Salary cap by definition are anti-competitive, hence unless a business operates under clearly stated anti-trust exemption laws you cannot set a ceiling wage that your employees can receive. However the owners and league have chose to operate in a salary cap free year (something the owners have championed and fought for in the original CBA signing after the labor strife in the early nineties, despite many who think the owners prefer no salary cap, its quite the opposite) to avoid any legislative pitfalls during a negotiation year. Hence even if the NFLPA wanted to pursue that form of litigation, they could not (and they would win immediately).

While this ruling is not a blow at all to the NFL on its normal ability to operate, if the NFL had won this portion of the case it would have been very difficult for the NFLPA to pursue anti-trust litigation if CBA negotiations breakdown. If SCOTUS ruled that the NFL, as a ruling body, was a single entity it allows the NFL to pursue further anti-trust exemptions on a broad board of issues to the specific precedent set in this case. Since it is not, SCOTUS's ruling is clear. The NFL is an organization representing the interests in many cases of all 32 teams, but their interests are not exclusively combined. The NFL can be anti-competitive when operating, in agreement, with its labor union, but in all other facets of busienss the NFL must remain a competitive market.

This is a very clear win for the NFLPA and American Needle, and though it won't change day to day activities, depending on how things happen in the lower courts it could drastically change the landscape of NFL merchandise at all levels (still allowing the NFL to decide who creates and markets their trademarks, just not being able to make exclusive contracts that are anti-competitive by nature).

SIDE NOTE:

Quick description of the type of anti-trust exemption the NFL profits and operates under since there seems to be a degree of misunderstanding on how the league is able to operate under salary caps, etc.

The reason the NFL is able to operate under anti-trust exemptions is through a collective agreement between the league and labor union. It is known as a non-statutory anti-trust exemption. Basically if the labor union representing all the employees agrees to terms with the employing body, they create a collective agreement (so long as all terms of the agreement are upheld by both parties) and therefor operate in an anti-trust exemption. It cannot be anti-competitive if all your employees agree that the employers conduct is fair and reasonable. This anti-trust exemption is derived from the Clayton Act of 1914. Almost all sports law anti-trust exemptions except for major league baseball recieve anti-trust exemptions through that act. Basically so long as a CBA remains intact, the NFL will receive anti-trust exemptions.

OrangeHoof
05-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Great explanation. The NFL does act as one business at times, for example in television contracts. Otherwise, you'd have something similar to the radio broadcast packages which are mostly local/regional.

CoachChaz
05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I remember there was a time when you could buy your kid a replica jersey and it would cost 25-30 bucks. it might have Puma or Reebok or some other brand on ht but it was the same jersey. Then Reebok got exclusive rights and immediately we were paying $75. FOR A REPLICA!!! I believe there needs to be more disparity in the merchandising
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

gobroncsnv
05-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Just hope that this doesn't open the thing up to so many lawsuits that it ruins the league. That has happened far too many times in this country. The NFL has the best product out there with regards to sports, and I would hate to see the courts hose up a great thing.

Dirk
05-25-2010, 05:36 AM
I just hope in the end that they force them to let other companies besides Directv to carry the NFL package so the damn price will drop.

Nomad
05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
I just hope in the end that they force them to let other companies besides Directv to carry the NFL package so the damn price will drop.

It would be nice if the NFL would let cable, Dish Network and have a a deal for the internet as options to watch games....to me they'd make even more money with all these options and I don't get why only one provider is an option. I had DTV since it came out but last year I moved to a new house and gave it up.

Dirk
05-25-2010, 08:45 AM
It would be nice if the NFL would let cable, Dish Network and have a a deal for the internet as options to watch games....to me they'd make even more money with all these options and I don't get why only one provider is an option. I had DTV since it came out but last year I moved to a new house and gave it up.

I hear ya. I have had Directv since I moved from Denver just so I can get all of the Broncos games. Directv must pay a fortune for the rights is the only reason I can see them always getting the contract.

Once that is disolved I will move away from Directv because they charge too much for everything. locals, HD, boxes etc. Just irks me.

SM19
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Hopefully, SM19 will weigh in here.

Unfortunately, I don't know very much at all about antitrust law. BBL's summary seems good, based on what I've read about the case.

To summarize my understanding of the case, as briefly as possible: Antitrust laws are meant to encourage competition and prevent unfair competitive practices. And an agreement between firms to jointly license trademarks is at least arguably a restraint on competition, though not necessarily an illegal one. This is why the NFL wanted a declaration that it was just one firm; it would be nonsensical to say that the NFL was engaging in unfair competitive practices with itself.

The case will now go back to a trial court. To win, American Needle will have to show that the NFL's exclusive contract with Reebok restrained competition unreasonably.

As for any potential effect of this ruling on the salary cap, if any, that's something I'm still trying to make sense of.